mass builder?

theTOOTHPICK

Awards
due to a crazy daily schedule that most days doesn't allow me to eat enough to consitute enough calories in a day to gain weight (and barely enough to keep it) i been looking into getting a mass, or weight, gainer. no idea where to even start and can never seem to find enough reviews or logs on whats good and whats not.. any thoughts?

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
currently using and loving elite mass

theTOOTHPICK

Awards
any noticable gain off of it? was looking into pro complex from ON but they're always priced so high and not enough extremely positive logs to go after it. just don't wanna get stuck paying a high amount, like anything else, and not even do something as simple as keeping, or starting to put on more weight in conjuction with my diet.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
due to a crazy daily schedule that most days doesn't allow me to eat enough to consitute enough calories in a day to gain weight (and barely enough to keep it) i been looking into getting a mass, or weight, gainer. no idea where to even start and can never seem to find enough reviews or logs on whats good and whats not.. any thoughts?
Can you carry protein with you?

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
Iso-Mass Xtreme by Ultimate Nutrition isn't a bad gainer either. Great profile behind it.

theTOOTHPICK

Awards
yeah i could store it in a shaker at work and just fill with water, although i prefer milk and will just pack on calories but yea can definitely do.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I like the quality of the EAS whey protein. Do you have a Sam's Club or Wally World nearby? IIRC, it's about $22-$25 for a 5lb bag.

obvious

obvious

Awards
If you want a great gainer I'd like to toss my .02 in for Mutant Mass. We have guys going through 30+ lbs at a time of this stuff in our fraternity house and it works. It's also primarily maltodextrin and very low in "sugar" sugars so it seems to be a bit healthier? I guess that's kind of a perception = reality thing though.

adawg4929

Awards
  • Established
Personally, i would try and make your own weight gainer and bring it with you. Most of these weight gainers are full of maltodextrin thats going to bloat you up depending on your body type.

I would girnd up a bunch of oats into a powder and add that to a protein supplement. I generally like Myofusion because of the added egg albumin and casien, granted it probablly isnt that much, having those slower diegesting proteins definitly help. Also you can add fats in the form of almond powder or you can always just eat a tbspn. of peanut butter with your shakes.

darthdarek84

darthdarek84

Awards
Pro Complex gainer by ON or Quick mass by MRI is decent 2.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mass gainers are a waste of money....just cheap carbs and protein in my opnion. If you can just blend up olive oil, peanut butter, protein, milk, spinach leaves, a banana and take it with you.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
mass gainers are a waste of money....just cheap carbs and protein in my opnion. If you can just blend up olive oil, peanut butter, protein, milk, spinach leaves, a banana and take it with you.
Agreed. You've listed move of my favorite shake recipe here although I'm not sure if it is suitable for a shaker.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. You've listed move of my favorite shake recipe here although I'm not sure if it is suitable for a shaker.
yeah you might need to fill a few shakers lol

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
This may be some helpful info also.

I searched but could not find this specific question or an answer.

I'm at 172lbs and gaining lean mass right now. Due to work and my sleep patterns it's difficult to always get 1.5x or more grams of protein per pound of body weight.

With that in mind, what is the maximum amount of protein any of you experienced eaters would recommend in any single dosage?

My favorite recipe right now is 2 scoops of whey for 50 grams, 3 table spoons of peanut butter for approximately 20grams, a Boost high protein drink for vitamns and 15 grams, a banana for about 2 more grams, and a bit of milk for 4-8 grams to get the consistency right in the blender. So, based on averages, I'd say this monster gives me about 80 - 90 grams of protein assuming I scoop correctly and my other estimates are correct.

On any given day, I try to get 40% or more of my protein from food as opposed to shakes etc. But, like I said, it's not always feasible.