Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil?

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
What are the major differences? Which would be most recommended?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are the major differences? Which would be most recommended?
Very basically, Fish Oil and Flaxseed Oil are both "good fats".

Fish Oil is a source of the Omega 3 essential fatty acids EPA and DHA.

Flaxseed Oil is a source of Linoleic Acid - the primary member of the Omega 6 family. Linoleic Acid is used to make Arachidonic Acid in the body - which helps to maintain cell structure and membranes. Note that is the body does not have enough Linoleic Acid, Arachidonic Acid becomes an essential fatty acid.

Your body needs both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids - there is also Omega 9 fatty acids.

The best "oil" IMO to use is Hempseed Oil - that gives you a blend of all 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids.

Or you could use Udos Choice 3-6-9 Oil Blend - that covers all your bases and then some.

~Rosie~

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Very basically, Fish Oil and Flaxseed Oil are both "good fats".

Fish Oil is a source of the Omega 3 essential fatty acids EPA and DHA.

Flaxseed Oil is a source of Linoleic Acid - the primary member of the Omega 6 family. Linoleic Acid is used to make Arachidonic Acid in the body - which helps to maintain cell structure and membranes. Note that is the body does not have enough Linoleic Acid, Arachidonic Acid becomes an essential fatty acid.

Your body needs both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids - there is also Omega 9 fatty acids.

The best "oil" IMO to use is Hempseed Oil - that gives you a blend of all 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids.

Or you could use Udos Choice 3-6-9 Oil Blend - that covers all your bases and then some.

~Rosie~
Thanks Rosie. I was hesitant to take both because it seems like too much oil in the digestive track. I saw what that did to my rottweiler once.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie. I was hesitant to take both because it seems like too much oil in the digestive track. I saw what that did to my rottweiler once.
No worries :)

You cam use both - if you eat fish and seeds and nuts, then you're essentially getting both anyways. Try as much as you can though, to get what you need from food, because there definitely is a difference in getting them from food or supplements. Remember that supplements are not always necessary if you can get what you need from whole food - and that, IMO, is the way to do it.

~Rosie~

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
No worries :)

You cam use both - if you eat fish and seeds and nuts, then you're essentially getting both anyways. Try as much as you can though, to get what you need from food, because there definitely is a difference in getting them from food or supplements. Remember that supplements are not always necessary if you can get what you need from whole food - and that, IMO, is the way to do it.

~Rosie~
I agree. I've eliminated all powders from my diet and I'm still bulking. I'm liking it much better eating real foods. It's slightly harder but I think worth it in the long run.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. I've eliminated all powders from my diet and I'm still bulking. I'm liking it much better eating real foods. It's slightly harder but I think worth it in the long run.
Whole food is better than using powders and supplements all the time, and most of what you need you SHOULD get from food. Food will give you the added benefits of thermogenesis and digestion as well, etc. Supplements as "meals" should really be considered something to use for convenience, when you don't have the time to make a meal, or for those days when nothing goes right and you run out of time, etc.
~Rosie~

IronBusta

Awards
Hemp Protein is the ****... Too bad it's expensive. I use flax and fish oil throughout the day to get the best of both worlds.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hemp Protein is the ****... Too bad it's expensive. I use flax and fish oil throughout the day to get the best of both worlds.
It's also the best tasting of the oils :)

~Rosie~

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah fish oil is superior to flaxseed in my honest opinion. Your body doesn't convert the flaxseed oil as well and fish oil is essentially in its raw form if it is the DHA and EPA you are looking for. Great for lowering triglycerides and as an anti-inflammatory :).

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
subbed for later.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I couldn't stand the fish burps all day, then someone recommended freezing the gel tabs and it solved the problem.

Jorsn

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know of a good place to order hemp oil? I'm about to run out of CL orange oximega so I figure i'll give hemp oil a try.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone know of a good place to order hemp oil? I'm about to run out of CL orange oximega so I figure i'll give hemp oil a try.
I could only give you New Zealand sources, but I'm sure if you look around you can get it online somewhere, or even in a health food store, perhaps even the supermarket.

~Rosie~

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Both... along with Evening Primrose and Borage. BUT - don't forget KRILL! :)