Response from my senator -Supp Safety Act

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    135807
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Response from my senator -Supp Safety Act


    Dear Mr. Larry *****^*^

    Thank you for contacting me regarding the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 (S. 3002). I appreciate hearing from you.

    Dietary supplements are safely consumed by millions of Americans every day. I take a multivitamin every morning. The vast majority of these supplements do not result in harm to the consumer and have been safely used in the marketplace for many years.

    Senator McCain of Arizona introduced the Dietary Supplement Safety Act to require dietary supplement manufacturers to register with the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and fully disclose the ingredients of their products. If the ingredients are not approved by the FDA, the products would be subject to removal from the marketplace. Manufacturers would be required to report all adverse reactions and to demonstrate to the FDA that new dietary ingredients are safe.

    I have heard from constituents who wonder why Congress is considering additional legislation when most dietary supplements are perfectly safe and may be beneficial. Sadly, some manufacturers do not put the safety of their customers first. Reputable manufacturers with safe products have nothing to hide. At the same time, I understand your concerns that increasing FDA's authority to regulate supplements may limit consumer access to some products. I will keep your concerns in mind as this legislation is discussed on the Senate floor.


    Thank you again for your message. Please feel free to keep in touch.

    Sincerely,
    Richard J. Durbin
    United States Senator

    RJD/ab




    Just thought I'd share


  2. New Member
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    442
    Rep Power
    315
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    48.12%

    It doesn't sound promising.
  3. Senior Member
    urbanski's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Rep Power
    1510
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    5.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    at least he said he'd consider his points
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    badbart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    550
    Rep Power
    422
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%

    Anyone know the chances of this passing?
  5. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    135807
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by badbart View Post
    Anyone know the chances of this passing?
    Send you senator an email advising them you will vote their ass out of office if they vote in favor of this. Regardless if it passes or not I would say the days of pro hormones are coming to an end. I just do not want to see America turn into other countries where they ban whatever they want for whatever reason. The FDA currently have all the powers they need to keep all these "unsafe supplements" off the shelves.

  6. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235094
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I have been planning to try and message durbin as well, my problem is I have written congressman in the past on various issues and have neve felt me concern did anything. I feel his response even to you was semi generic.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  7. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    135807
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    I have been planning to try and message durbin as well, my problem is I have written congressman in the past on various issues and have neve felt me concern did anything. I feel his response even to you was semi generic.
    Yeah I'm sure it was copied and pasted... But I felt I had to do something!! Who knows if it helps or not. I signed up on one of those Libertarian websites and they send emails out on all the different proposed bills. When I get those emails all I have to do is copy and paste or click a link and it automatically sends out blast emails to all the reps in the area. I made my brothers, mom, dad and a bunch of friends do it also lol.

  8. Banned
    muscl3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    49.81%

    i got one too here in california
  9. Professional Member
    mich29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Rep Power
    107134
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    24.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    the only way to fight this thing is to start an actual organization of educated users all coming together as one to fight this thing.
  10. PESCIENCE.com
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,378
    Rep Power
    3916500
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    46.32%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    I live in FL. I will try to find the response I got. It made me want to punch my computer screen
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  11. Professional Member
    VaughnTrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,872
    Rep Power
    1018892
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    it wont pass. itll crumble a 25billion+ industry overnight. nothing is fda approved at this point
  12. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,513
    Rep Power
    831745
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    it wont pass. itll crumble a 25billion+ industry overnight. nothing is fda approved at this point
    The criteria for "approval" is already contained in DSHEA. What they want is totalitarian power to control the entire market.

    DSHEA basically told them "YOU HAVE NO POWER TO REGULATE HERBALLY BASED INGREDIENTS, NOR THEIR SYNTHETIC FORMS, OR ANYTHING ALREADY IN "FOOD"..SO SUCK IT"

    This pisses them off to no end, because of course they are power hungry ****s.
  13. Advanced Member
    specmike's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    11056
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    85.93%

    My single biggest concern here is the likely fact that we are all fighting the pharmaceutical companies on this. There is simply no other argument that makes sense. For the purpose of this thread, "they" = the government as a whole or the individuals such as the rep that is quoted above.

    They cannot argue safety in a logical manner. Otherwise, they need to ban alcohol, skydiving, 1300cc sport bikes, etc too. No one ever got big in the gym, and lost control of their car and killed a family of 5 due to it. We let people die every day due to alcohol but no one is willing to stand on the floor of congress and say "stop making it". Besides, I like beer so that is not a good solution.

    They cannot argue the benefits of using supplements. If the supps do not work, there is no reason to ban them. They do work however, and pharm companies are losing the profits they might make if they offered a competing "legit" alternative. We are being "c0ck blocked" in a AS/PH kind of way. IMO, BALCO should be a model company for how real and effective supplements could be legitimized and made safer for consumers.

    Most people on forums like this agree that it is up to individuals to decide what they want to take. I can legally drink whisky until my liver falls out but, they tell me I can't get big and strong. WTF is up with that? Don't punish the rest of us because of a few bad apples. I had enough of that in grade school.

    Governing bodies for sports and the individual athletes are responsible for their own ethical conduct. IMO, all major sports are "dirty" anyway so the hypocrisy just reeks. Baseball is the worst for hypocrisy, the sport that flourished for years on "greenies" and cortisone ****tail abuse. MLB has the nerve to stand before congress and say "we think there might be a small problem". Give me a break.

    Don't even get me started on trying to figure out why congress is investigating MLB for violating existing laws.........what complete waste of their time and OUR money.

    And, very few fans actually want to see their sport regress. But, if you waved a magic wand and PEDs were instantly gone, ALL pro sports would regress 25+ years over night. There is too much money involved so you can bet that will not happen.


    I could go on and on but it's pointless. But, you can bet your sweet a55 that if "we" could collectively line the pockets of the right politicians, then you'd see companies like BALCO flourish. Unfortunately, that would put most current suppplement companies out of business except for guys that would still need to sell good protein, and other non AS/PH products that work.

    And, IMO, this is a world class brush off.

    I have heard from constituents who wonder why Congress is considering additional legislation when most dietary supplements are perfectly safe and may be beneficial. Sadly, some manufacturers do not put the safety of their customers first. Reputable manufacturers with safe products have nothing to hide. At the same time, I understand your concerns that increasing FDA's authority to regulate supplements may limit consumer access to some products. I will keep your concerns in mind as this legislation is discussed on the Senate floor.
    An individual does not concern people like this senator unless you are going to make the news in some noteworthy fashion.
  14. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,820
    Rep Power
    1317971

    Quote Originally Posted by specmike View Post
    My single biggest concern here is the likely fact that we are all fighting the pharmaceutical companies on this. There is simply no other argument that makes sense. For the purpose of this thread, "they" = the government as a whole or the individuals such as the rep that is quoted above.

    They cannot argue safety in a logical manner. Otherwise, they need to ban alcohol, skydiving, 1300cc sport bikes, etc too. No one ever got big in the gym, and lost control of their car and killed a family of 5 due to it. We let people die every day due to alcohol but no one is willing to stand on the floor of congress and say "stop making it". Besides, I like beer so that is not a good solution.

    They cannot argue the benefits of using supplements. If the supps do not work, there is no reason to ban them. They do work however, and pharm companies are losing the profits they might make if they offered a competing "legit" alternative. We are being "c0ck blocked" in a AS/PH kind of way. IMO, BALCO should be a model company for how real and effective supplements could be legitimized and made safer for consumers.

    Most people on forums like this agree that it is up to individuals to decide what they want to take. I can legally drink whisky until my liver falls out but, they tell me I can't get big and strong. WTF is up with that? Don't punish the rest of us because of a few bad apples. I had enough of that in grade school.
    Governing bodies for sports and the individual athletes are responsible for their own ethical conduct. IMO, all major sports are "dirty" anyway so the hypocrisy just reeks. Baseball is the worst for hypocrisy, the sport that flourished for years on "greenies" and cortisone ****tail abuse. MLB has the nerve to stand before congress and say "we think there might be a small problem". Give me a break.

    Don't even get me started on trying to figure out why congress is investigating MLB for violating existing laws.........what complete waste of their time and OUR money.

    And, very few fans actually want to see their sport regress. But, if you waved a magic wand and PEDs were instantly gone, ALL pro sports would regress 25+ years over night. There is too much money involved so you can bet that will not happen.


    I could go on and on but it's pointless. But, you can bet your sweet a55 that if "we" could collectively line the pockets of the right politicians, then you'd see companies like BALCO flourish. Unfortunately, that would put most current suppplement companies out of business except for guys that would still need to sell good protein, and other non AS/PH products that work.

    And, IMO, this is a world class brush off.



    An individual does not concern people like this senator unless you are going to make the news in some noteworthy fashion.
    What I find ironic is that this same board has threads about how [insert company name] does not have methyl-xx-7901112 in it as the label claim but rather di-methyl-xx-999000 and lead, and yada, yada, yada...

    On one hand you rage against those companies because of their lack of ethics and integrity for poisoning you with unknow ingredients, yet you cry about it when someone actually legislates the industry.

    You buy alcohol, you get alcohol. You know you consume alcohol, you know the risks, you abuse it and you get sick and die.

    You by supplements and you have no idea what you are getting.

    In my time on the board I have seen too many threads to count about members bashing and hating on dangerous products coming from supplements companies.

    You can't eat your cake and have it too.
  15. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,513
    Rep Power
    831745
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    What I find ironic is that this same board has threads about how [insert company name] does not have methyl-xx-7901112 in it as the label claim but rather di-methyl-xx-999000.

    On one hand you rage against those companies because of their lack of ethics and integrity for poisoning you with unknow ingredients, yet you cry about it when someone actually legislates the industry.

    You buy alcohol, you get alcohol. You know you consume alcohol, you know the risks, you abuse it and get sick and die.

    You by supplements and you have no idea what you are getting.

    You can't eat your cake and have it too.
    But this is already against the law. See FTC labeling laws.

    Why do we need to expand government power even more?
  16. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,820
    Rep Power
    1317971

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    But this is already against the law. See FTC labeling laws.

    Why do we need to expand government power even more?
    I don't agree with expanded power of governement. Self regulation has not happened. What is the alternative?
  17. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,513
    Rep Power
    831745
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    I don't agree with expanded power of governement. Self regulation has not happened. What is the alternative?
    Find out why the FTC is not enforcing existing laws...it is not "self-regulation" but a failure of an agency receiving federal dollars to perform its duties. Surprise surprise...of course the FDA will want the power (and additional funding that goes along with new enforcement burden.)
  18. Senior Member
    Orangatang's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  176 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    1206
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Guys does this sound ok???

    Senator Brown,

    I am writing you today to express my concern about the Dietary Supplement Safety Act introduced by Senator John McCain. I would urge you not to cast your vote to let this piece of legislation pass. This act would:

    1) Destroy American's access to affordable supplements and nutritional products.

    2) Eliminate innovation in the field of supplements and sports nutrition.

    3) Give the FDA more power than they already have to destroy small supplement companies as they pander to the whims of large pharmaceutical companies.

    4) Destroy all of the rights citizens were granted by the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994.

    Once again Senator I plead with you to consider the long term, wide reaching affects that this legislature would carry. And I also thank you for your consideration.

    -Sincerely,

    "Orangatang(named changed for anonymity)"


    That's what I wrote to my senators.
  19. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    135807
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    But this is already against the law. See FTC labeling laws.

    Why do we need to expand government power even more?
    Agreed 100%

  20. Elite Member
    oufinny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,947
    Rep Power
    215292
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    98.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Giving the FDA, the most corrupt and poorly managed government organization, is that it will lead to even worse regulation and so many products become prescription (lovaza, are you kidding me, its fish oil! and P5P). Regulation is needed and DSHEA is supposed to address that, we don't need anything else.
  21. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    dsade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,513
    Rep Power
    831745
    Level
    86
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangatang View Post
    Guys does this sound ok???

    Senator Brown,

    I am writing you today to express my concern about the Dietary Supplement Safety Act introduced by Senator John McCain. I would urge you not to cast your vote to let this piece of legislation pass. This act would:

    1) Destroy American's access to affordable supplements and nutritional products.

    2) Eliminate innovation in the field of supplements and sports nutrition.

    3) Give the FDA more power than they already have to destroy small supplement companies as they pander to the whims of large pharmaceutical companies.

    4) Destroy all of the rights citizens were granted by the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994.

    Once again Senator I plead with you to consider the long term, wide reaching affects that this legislature would carry. And I also thank you for your consideration.

    -Sincerely,

    "Orangatang(named changed for anonymity)"


    That's what I wrote to my senators.
    Points that will make it clear:

    We are SICK of expanding gov ernment, incursion on rights, and ballooning budgets. We started making our statement in the last election, and if they are too stupid to get it we will continue to vote the corrupt *******s out.

    DSHEA was also an overwhelming statement...we want to decide for OURSELVES what to take and what not to take. The FDA no longer represents the people, but has been corrupted beyond that. Cite the recent moves to ban P5P (a form of B6) and Injectible vitamin C.

    We are getting VERY sick of, instead of focusing on work and economic recovery, the sleazebag moves of corrupt officials constantly trying to erode our rights. Our votes are our statements of trust - and this legislation is a violation of that trust. We are not ignorant soccer moms easily panicked by propaganca. We are American citizens, and we are getting damn tired of the games.
  22. Advanced Member
    specmike's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    11056
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    85.93%

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    You can't eat your cake and have it too.
    I guess my post was not clear. My arguments above were rhetorical. In short, I am saying that the government and its current efforts to further regulate the supplement industry are hypocritical, unwanted, and redundant. We already have the DEA and FDA and their current laws and regulations. I believe the efforts of our congress are serving the needs of entities with money to pay them and NOT serving the interests of individual citizens like the members of this forum.

    I want better supplements and better access to them without govt interference. I am not raging period and certainly not raging against an industry that provides goods that I buy to enhance my life.
  23. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235094
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I think dsade has hit the nail on the head in this thread. The laws currently do protect against mislabeling ingredients. This is the extent of what we need. Honestly I think mislabeling, especially in hormonal products should be punishable by law. But this regulation would go significantly beyond it. And to anyone who claims I am biased because of my affiliation with primordial, please... I have stated numerous times that If they mislabeled a hormone and it was brought to light I would easily change my title on this board to registered user. My loyality relies in knowing I would never have to do that and proper measurements are taken to make sure the other companies do it as well. Look around you know who the good companies are and who is taking this industry to a level it should be at, and who contributes to the regulation requirements. Why should the companies who do take safety and customer loyalty to heart be attacked and put under the control of something as ****ing corrupt as the FDA? It's a joke.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  24. New Member
    BulkHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    59
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    68.02%

    The FDA and Big Pharma will not stop until all but vitamin c will be banned and maybe even that will need a prescription.
  25. Elite Member
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,950
    Rep Power
    403148
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    83.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I am all for this with all the bull ship out there there needs to be some guide lines.
  26. Advanced Member
    HondaV65's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    828
    Rep Power
    2269
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    75.1%

    This is not "big pharma" ...

    What it is ...

    1. An outgrowth of our health care system - which is "communal" now. Most Health Care is taken care of by insurance or government - this means that everyone has a stake in everybody else's health.

    2. The "busy bodies" have taken over - those would be the people who have no lives and so, they want to control yours. I said this over a decade ago when they went after the cigarette companies ... eventually they'll get around to everyone else consuming a product they don't like. I was right. California has banned transfat, New York is trying to control salt, some communities are banning happy meals ... it's out of control.

    3. Government has adopted the attitude that it has to protect you from yourself.

    This can all be solved but it will mean completely returning our health care system to the state it was in 50 years ago. There wasn't really any "insurance" back then. Of course - this presents certain problems when something catastrophic happens with your health - but it's the price for liberty.

    We also need to tell the "busy bodies" to shut the hell up. But so far - no one's willing to smack them on their asses.
  27. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,217
    Rep Power
    10752133
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    want to know something funny. my allergy meds used to be covered by my insurance, well somehow they got it made over the counter so insurance didn't have to cover it. now, because of abuse they are thinking to make it by prescription only again, lol.

    if this legislation happens here is what we are in for:

    much much higher insurance rates to cover the cost of increased prescriptions.



    i see this as a real war between big pharma and big insurance.
  28. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235094
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    I am all for this with all the bull ship out there there needs to be some guide lines.


    There are guidelines. Not following them is illegal already. Mislabeling is illegal already. What part of this do you not understand? This isn't about safety, it is about control.

    Quote Originally Posted by HondaV65 View Post
    This can all be solved but it will mean completely returning our health care system to the state it was in 50 years ago. There wasn't really any "insurance" back then. Of course - this presents certain problems when something catastrophic happens with your health - but it's the price for liberty.
    Before I respond to this, I will give two disclaimers: 1st: I am a licensed health insurance agent. 2nd: I hate the current state of health insurance which made me shift more of my work to property/casualty insurance.

    Not having insurance is the farthest from what this country needs. If you don't want insurance, then don't have it, but the thought that one should go bankrupt if something were to happen to them would be taking our country very far in the opposite direction of progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    want to know something funny. my allergy meds used to be covered by my insurance, well somehow they got it made over the counter so insurance didn't have to cover it. now, because of abuse they are thinking to make it by prescription only again, lol.

    if this legislation happens here is what we are in for:

    much much higher insurance rates to cover the cost of increased prescriptions.

    i see this as a real war between big pharma and big insurance.
    Big pharma wants this = They would be the companies able to afford the research on herbal supplements to put them through FDA clearance. This means more money.

    Government wants this = More Power, More Control. **** the FDA. The level of corruption is beyond itself.

    Insurance = Honestly, I am not sure of what Insurance's desires in this legislation would be. One the one hand, natural remedies keep people away from the doctor which means less claims, On the other hand thinking Insurance CEOs, Health Care CEOs, and Pharma CEOs are not having golf sessions with each other regularly is ludacris. I know there is a motive, just not sure what it would be.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  29. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    135807
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    40.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Reps^^^^
  30. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,217
    Rep Power
    10752133
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    sorry heretostudy-i can't believe the insurance companies would be behind this. if vitamins were to be made by prescription only-imagine all the extra doctor visits, not to mention these vitamins would now be covered on our insurance.

    this is the best arguement i can think of:


    if this legislation happens the increased cost of these nutrional supplements being covered by insurance would make our co-payments astronomical.

    you can bet the insurance companies would pass this additional cost onto us-i put my life savings on that bet!!!!!!!


    djbombsquad-get your head out of your arse!!!!
  31. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235094
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    sorry heretostudy-i can't believe the insurance companies would be behind this. if vitamins were to be made by prescription only-imagine all the extra doctor visits, not to mention these vitamins would now be covered on our insurance.

    this is the best arguement i can think of:


    if this legislation happens the increased cost of these nutrional supplements being covered by insurance would make our co-payments astronomical.

    you can bet the insurance companies would pass this additional cost onto us-i put my life savings on that bet!!!!!!!


    djbombsquad-get your head out of your arse!!!!
    I worded that terribly. What I meant to portray is that I cant see any reason why insurance companies would want to see this happen. However, it is my thought that the actions of health care, insurance, and pharma are so in bed with each other that I wouldn't doubt the existence of some kind of back door benefit.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  32. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,217
    Rep Power
    10752133
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    I worded that terribly. What I meant to portray is that I cant see any reason why insurance companies would want to see this happen. However, it is my thought that the actions of health care, insurance, and pharma are so in bed with each other that I wouldn't doubt the existence of some kind of back door benefit.
    but you agree that if this happens, co-payments will go through the roof!!!!!

    as of now i pay up to $8 for generics, i can see this rising by at least 50% if this legislation passes. so the insurance companies may be using this as an umbrella raise accross the board-just one more way big business is manipulating the government to screw the people.

    this could very well be the back door benefit you were talking about.
  33. Primordial Performance Rep
    HereToStudy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,362
    Rep Power
    235094
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    71.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    but you agree that if this happens, co-payments will go through the roof!!!!!
    Completely. Its not about your health, its about profit with insurance companies.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  34. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,217
    Rep Power
    10752133
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Completely. Its not about your health, its about profit with insurance companies.
    so if the insurance companies are on board with this legislation we can be sure we are going pay until it hurts. not only will this legislation cost us our supplements, it looks like it is designed to cost us big bucks on insurance premiums and co-pays.


    this is a real double whammy guys-we have to fight this!!!!!!
  35. Senior Member
    subweevil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    1622
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    80.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    It's just the classic "Re-direct so we can grab money" trick. At this point, goverment is basically a business, and all the politicians are it's employees. If they weren't grabbing money for this to "redistribute" to their "partners" (pharma, insurance and lobbyists) they'd be grabbing it from other funds that arent broke yet, or they'd invent one. Stuff is already in effect ot regulate/enforce this, they jsut need to utilize that, adn cut the red tape and pork barrel politics, period. If they can't do it, then fire/vote their arses out and get people who can, that's what happens at my job. If somebody isn't doing their job, don't hire someone to do their job and keep them, or change the job description to exclude what they are unwilling to do.I pretty much agree with everyone here, well, except DJbombsquad. Some people march to the beat of a different drummer, while he's his own darn band. Yeah, this has me pretty hot!!
  36. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,217
    Rep Power
    10752133
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by subweevil View Post
    It's just the classic "Re-direct so we can grab money" trick. At this point, goverment is basically a business, and all the politicians are it's employees. If they weren't grabbing money for this to "redistribute" to their "partners" (pharma, insurance and lobbyists) they'd be grabbing it from other funds that arent broke yet, or they'd invent one. Stuff is already in effect ot regulate/enforce this, they jsut need to utilize that, adn cut the red tape and pork barrel politics, period. If they can't do it, then fire/vote their arses out and get people who can, that's what happens at my job. If somebody isn't doing their job, don't hire someone to do their job and keep them, or change the job description to exclude what they are unwilling to do.I pretty much agree with everyone here, well, except DJbombsquad. Some people march to the beat of a different drummer, while he's his own darn band. Yeah, this has me pretty hot!!
    at least most of us have figured out what they are up to. big pharma gets to raise prices on everyday supps and insurance companies use this as an excuse to raise rates accross the board. it's pretty easy to figure out-unless your name is djbombsquad, lol.

    basic rule of thumb-follow the money trail.

    the golden rule- 'he who has the gold, makes the rules'.
  37. Senior Member
    subweevil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,465
    Rep Power
    1622
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    80.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    at least most of us have figured out what they are up to. big pharma gets to raise prices on everyday supps and insurance companies use this as an excuse to raise rates accross the board. it's pretty easy to figure out-unless your name is djbombsquad, lol.

    basic rule of thumb-follow the money trail.

    the golden rule- 'he who has the gold, makes the rules'.
    Hehe one of my favorite quotes. I'll try and keep outta this thread so I don't go into any rants about politics. For the record, I love my country, just hate how politics have become a twisted.
  38. Elite Member
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,950
    Rep Power
    403148
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    83.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Something needs to be done. So many companys make so many bogus claims and bogus products that may or may not work. I mean lot of the herbal stuff for us, how do we know if it works or not with out a peer review on the product you know.
  39. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,217
    Rep Power
    10752133
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by subweevil View Post
    Hehe one of my favorite quotes. I'll try and keep outta this thread so I don't go into any rants about politics. For the record, I love my country, just hate how politics have become a twisted.
    the day after a politician is elected he/she is thinking about re-election. election campaigns have become increasingly expensive, the more expensive they become the more the big money players gain control. big pharma and big insurance companies are extreme big money players-if a politician wants to be re-elected they will do what they are told. to think that politicians have free will to do what is right is sadly not true, if they vote against the wishes of big business, they won't be politicians for very long!!!!!!
  40. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,217
    Rep Power
    10752133
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Something needs to be done. So many companys make so many bogus claims and bogus products that may or may not work. I mean lot of the herbal stuff for us, how do we know if it works or not with out a peer review on the product you know.
    earth to dj.......do you not see where this is going, cmon think about it!!!!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM
  2. Senator Bernie Sander's take on the bailout
    By CryingEmo in forum Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
  3. Who Is The Craziest Senator ???
    By anabolicrhino in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 10:18 AM
  4. Senator Obama Mentioned as 2008 Contender
    By yeahright in forum Politics
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 03:27 AM
  5. Letter from Senator regarding PH ban
    By metacat in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-15-2003, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in