Response from my senator -Supp Safety Act

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dear Mr. Larry *****^*^

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 (S. 3002). I appreciate hearing from you.

Dietary supplements are safely consumed by millions of Americans every day. I take a multivitamin every morning. The vast majority of these supplements do not result in harm to the consumer and have been safely used in the marketplace for many years.

Senator McCain of Arizona introduced the Dietary Supplement Safety Act to require dietary supplement manufacturers to register with the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and fully disclose the ingredients of their products. If the ingredients are not approved by the FDA, the products would be subject to removal from the marketplace. Manufacturers would be required to report all adverse reactions and to demonstrate to the FDA that new dietary ingredients are safe.

I have heard from constituents who wonder why Congress is considering additional legislation when most dietary supplements are perfectly safe and may be beneficial. Sadly, some manufacturers do not put the safety of their customers first. Reputable manufacturers with safe products have nothing to hide. At the same time, I understand your concerns that increasing FDA's authority to regulate supplements may limit consumer access to some products. I will keep your concerns in mind as this legislation is discussed on the Senate floor.

Thank you again for your message. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ab

Just thought I'd share

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
at least he said he'd consider his points

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone know the chances of this passing?
Send you senator an email advising them you will vote their ass out of office if they vote in favor of this. Regardless if it passes or not I would say the days of pro hormones are coming to an end. I just do not want to see America turn into other countries where they ban whatever they want for whatever reason. The FDA currently have all the powers they need to keep all these "unsafe supplements" off the shelves.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been planning to try and message durbin as well, my problem is I have written congressman in the past on various issues and have neve felt me concern did anything. I feel his response even to you was semi generic.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been planning to try and message durbin as well, my problem is I have written congressman in the past on various issues and have neve felt me concern did anything. I feel his response even to you was semi generic.
Yeah I'm sure it was copied and pasted... But I felt I had to do something!! Who knows if it helps or not. I signed up on one of those Libertarian websites and they send emails out on all the different proposed bills. When I get those emails all I have to do is copy and paste or click a link and it automatically sends out blast emails to all the reps in the area. I made my brothers, mom, dad and a bunch of friends do it also lol.

muscl3s

muscl3s

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i got one too here in california

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the only way to fight this thing is to start an actual organization of educated users all coming together as one to fight this thing.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I live in FL. I will try to find the response I got. It made me want to punch my computer screen

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it wont pass. itll crumble a 25billion+ industry overnight. nothing is fda approved at this point

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it wont pass. itll crumble a 25billion+ industry overnight. nothing is fda approved at this point
The criteria for "approval" is already contained in DSHEA. What they want is totalitarian power to control the entire market.

DSHEA basically told them "YOU HAVE NO POWER TO REGULATE HERBALLY BASED INGREDIENTS, NOR THEIR SYNTHETIC FORMS, OR ANYTHING ALREADY IN "FOOD"..SO SUCK IT"

This pisses them off to no end, because of course they are power hungry ****s.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
My single biggest concern here is the likely fact that we are all fighting the pharmaceutical companies on this. There is simply no other argument that makes sense. For the purpose of this thread, "they" = the government as a whole or the individuals such as the rep that is quoted above.

They cannot argue safety in a logical manner. Otherwise, they need to ban alcohol, skydiving, 1300cc sport bikes, etc too. No one ever got big in the gym, and lost control of their car and killed a family of 5 due to it. We let people die every day due to alcohol but no one is willing to stand on the floor of congress and say "stop making it". Besides, I like beer so that is not a good solution.

They cannot argue the benefits of using supplements. If the supps do not work, there is no reason to ban them. They do work however, and pharm companies are losing the profits they might make if they offered a competing "legit" alternative. We are being "c0ck blocked" in a AS/PH kind of way. IMO, BALCO should be a model company for how real and effective supplements could be legitimized and made safer for consumers.

Most people on forums like this agree that it is up to individuals to decide what they want to take. I can legally drink whisky until my liver falls out but, they tell me I can't get big and strong. WTF is up with that? Don't punish the rest of us because of a few bad apples. I had enough of that in grade school.

Governing bodies for sports and the individual athletes are responsible for their own ethical conduct. IMO, all major sports are "dirty" anyway so the hypocrisy just reeks. Baseball is the worst for hypocrisy, the sport that flourished for years on "greenies" and cortisone ****tail abuse. MLB has the nerve to stand before congress and say "we think there might be a small problem". Give me a break.

Don't even get me started on trying to figure out why congress is investigating MLB for violating existing laws.........what complete waste of their time and OUR money.

And, very few fans actually want to see their sport regress. But, if you waved a magic wand and PEDs were instantly gone, ALL pro sports would regress 25+ years over night. There is too much money involved so you can bet that will not happen.

I could go on and on but it's pointless. But, you can bet your sweet a55 that if "we" could collectively line the pockets of the right politicians, then you'd see companies like BALCO flourish. Unfortunately, that would put most current suppplement companies out of business except for guys that would still need to sell good protein, and other non AS/PH products that work.

And, IMO, this is a world class brush off.

I have heard from constituents who wonder why Congress is considering additional legislation when most dietary supplements are perfectly safe and may be beneficial. Sadly, some manufacturers do not put the safety of their customers first. Reputable manufacturers with safe products have nothing to hide. At the same time, I understand your concerns that increasing FDA's authority to regulate supplements may limit consumer access to some products. I will keep your concerns in mind as this legislation is discussed on the Senate floor.
An individual does not concern people like this senator unless you are going to make the news in some noteworthy fashion.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My single biggest concern here is the likely fact that we are all fighting the pharmaceutical companies on this. There is simply no other argument that makes sense. For the purpose of this thread, "they" = the government as a whole or the individuals such as the rep that is quoted above.

They cannot argue safety in a logical manner. Otherwise, they need to ban alcohol, skydiving, 1300cc sport bikes, etc too. No one ever got big in the gym, and lost control of their car and killed a family of 5 due to it. We let people die every day due to alcohol but no one is willing to stand on the floor of congress and say "stop making it". Besides, I like beer so that is not a good solution.

They cannot argue the benefits of using supplements. If the supps do not work, there is no reason to ban them. They do work however, and pharm companies are losing the profits they might make if they offered a competing "legit" alternative. We are being "c0ck blocked" in a AS/PH kind of way. IMO, BALCO should be a model company for how real and effective supplements could be legitimized and made safer for consumers.

Most people on forums like this agree that it is up to individuals to decide what they want to take. I can legally drink whisky until my liver falls out but, they tell me I can't get big and strong. WTF is up with that? Don't punish the rest of us because of a few bad apples. I had enough of that in grade school.
Governing bodies for sports and the individual athletes are responsible for their own ethical conduct. IMO, all major sports are "dirty" anyway so the hypocrisy just reeks. Baseball is the worst for hypocrisy, the sport that flourished for years on "greenies" and cortisone ****tail abuse. MLB has the nerve to stand before congress and say "we think there might be a small problem". Give me a break.

Don't even get me started on trying to figure out why congress is investigating MLB for violating existing laws.........what complete waste of their time and OUR money.

And, very few fans actually want to see their sport regress. But, if you waved a magic wand and PEDs were instantly gone, ALL pro sports would regress 25+ years over night. There is too much money involved so you can bet that will not happen.

I could go on and on but it's pointless. But, you can bet your sweet a55 that if "we" could collectively line the pockets of the right politicians, then you'd see companies like BALCO flourish. Unfortunately, that would put most current suppplement companies out of business except for guys that would still need to sell good protein, and other non AS/PH products that work.

And, IMO, this is a world class brush off.

An individual does not concern people like this senator unless you are going to make the news in some noteworthy fashion.
What I find ironic is that this same board has threads about how [insert company name] does not have methyl-xx-7901112 in it as the label claim but rather di-methyl-xx-999000 and lead, and yada, yada, yada...

On one hand you rage against those companies because of their lack of ethics and integrity for poisoning you with unknow ingredients, yet you cry about it when someone actually legislates the industry.

You buy alcohol, you get alcohol. You know you consume alcohol, you know the risks, you abuse it and you get sick and die.

You by supplements and you have no idea what you are getting.

In my time on the board I have seen too many threads to count about members bashing and hating on dangerous products coming from supplements companies.

You can't eat your cake and have it too.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What I find ironic is that this same board has threads about how [insert company name] does not have methyl-xx-7901112 in it as the label claim but rather di-methyl-xx-999000.

On one hand you rage against those companies because of their lack of ethics and integrity for poisoning you with unknow ingredients, yet you cry about it when someone actually legislates the industry.

You buy alcohol, you get alcohol. You know you consume alcohol, you know the risks, you abuse it and get sick and die.

You by supplements and you have no idea what you are getting.

But this is already against the law. See FTC labeling laws.

Why do we need to expand government power even more?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But this is already against the law. See FTC labeling laws.

Why do we need to expand government power even more?
I don't agree with expanded power of governement. Self regulation has not happened. What is the alternative?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't agree with expanded power of governement. Self regulation has not happened. What is the alternative?
Find out why the FTC is not enforcing existing laws...it is not "self-regulation" but a failure of an agency receiving federal dollars to perform its duties. Surprise surprise...of course the FDA will want the power (and additional funding that goes along with new enforcement burden.)

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
Guys does this sound ok???

Senator Brown,

I am writing you today to express my concern about the Dietary Supplement Safety Act introduced by Senator John McCain. I would urge you not to cast your vote to let this piece of legislation pass. This act would:

1) Destroy American's access to affordable supplements and nutritional products.

2) Eliminate innovation in the field of supplements and sports nutrition.

3) Give the FDA more power than they already have to destroy small supplement companies as they pander to the whims of large pharmaceutical companies.

4) Destroy all of the rights citizens were granted by the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994.

Once again Senator I plead with you to consider the long term, wide reaching affects that this legislature would carry. And I also thank you for your consideration.

-Sincerely,

"Orangatang(named changed for anonymity)"

That's what I wrote to my senators.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Giving the FDA, the most corrupt and poorly managed government organization, is that it will lead to even worse regulation and so many products become prescription (lovaza, are you kidding me, its fish oil! and P5P). Regulation is needed and DSHEA is supposed to address that, we don't need anything else.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Guys does this sound ok???

Senator Brown,

I am writing you today to express my concern about the Dietary Supplement Safety Act introduced by Senator John McCain. I would urge you not to cast your vote to let this piece of legislation pass. This act would:

1) Destroy American's access to affordable supplements and nutritional products.

2) Eliminate innovation in the field of supplements and sports nutrition.

3) Give the FDA more power than they already have to destroy small supplement companies as they pander to the whims of large pharmaceutical companies.

4) Destroy all of the rights citizens were granted by the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994.

Once again Senator I plead with you to consider the long term, wide reaching affects that this legislature would carry. And I also thank you for your consideration.

-Sincerely,

"Orangatang(named changed for anonymity)"

That's what I wrote to my senators.
Points that will make it clear:

We are SICK of expanding gov ernment, incursion on rights, and ballooning budgets. We started making our statement in the last election, and if they are too stupid to get it we will continue to vote the corrupt *******s out.

DSHEA was also an overwhelming statement...we want to decide for OURSELVES what to take and what not to take. The FDA no longer represents the people, but has been corrupted beyond that. Cite the recent moves to ban P5P (a form of B6) and Injectible vitamin C.

We are getting VERY sick of, instead of focusing on work and economic recovery, the sleazebag moves of corrupt officials constantly trying to erode our rights. Our votes are our statements of trust - and this legislation is a violation of that trust. We are not ignorant soccer moms easily panicked by propaganca. We are American citizens, and we are getting damn tired of the games.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I guess my post was not clear. My arguments above were rhetorical. In short, I am saying that the government and its current efforts to further regulate the supplement industry are hypocritical, unwanted, and redundant. We already have the DEA and FDA and their current laws and regulations. I believe the efforts of our congress are serving the needs of entities with money to pay them and NOT serving the interests of individual citizens like the members of this forum.

I want better supplements and better access to them without govt interference. I am not raging period and certainly not raging against an industry that provides goods that I buy to enhance my life.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think dsade has hit the nail on the head in this thread. The laws currently do protect against mislabeling ingredients. This is the extent of what we need. Honestly I think mislabeling, especially in hormonal products should be punishable by law. But this regulation would go significantly beyond it. And to anyone who claims I am biased because of my affiliation with primordial, please... I have stated numerous times that If they mislabeled a hormone and it was brought to light I would easily change my title on this board to registered user. My loyality relies in knowing I would never have to do that and proper measurements are taken to make sure the other companies do it as well. Look around you know who the good companies are and who is taking this industry to a level it should be at, and who contributes to the regulation requirements. Why should the companies who do take safety and customer loyalty to heart be attacked and put under the control of something as ****ing corrupt as the FDA? It's a joke.

BulkHead

Awards
The FDA and Big Pharma will not stop until all but vitamin c will be banned and maybe even that will need a prescription.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am all for this with all the bull ship out there there needs to be some guide lines.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
This is not "big pharma" ...

What it is ...

1. An outgrowth of our health care system - which is "communal" now. Most Health Care is taken care of by insurance or government - this means that everyone has a stake in everybody else's health.

2. The "busy bodies" have taken over - those would be the people who have no lives and so, they want to control yours. I said this over a decade ago when they went after the cigarette companies ... eventually they'll get around to everyone else consuming a product they don't like. I was right. California has banned transfat, New York is trying to control salt, some communities are banning happy meals ... it's out of control.

3. Government has adopted the attitude that it has to protect you from yourself.

This can all be solved but it will mean completely returning our health care system to the state it was in 50 years ago. There wasn't really any "insurance" back then. Of course - this presents certain problems when something catastrophic happens with your health - but it's the price for liberty.

We also need to tell the "busy bodies" to shut the hell up. But so far - no one's willing to smack them on their asses.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
want to know something funny. my allergy meds used to be covered by my insurance, well somehow they got it made over the counter so insurance didn't have to cover it. now, because of abuse they are thinking to make it by prescription only again, lol.

if this legislation happens here is what we are in for:

much much higher insurance rates to cover the cost of increased prescriptions.

i see this as a real war between big pharma and big insurance.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am all for this with all the bull ship out there there needs to be some guide lines.

There are guidelines. Not following them is illegal already. Mislabeling is illegal already. What part of this do you not understand? This isn't about safety, it is about control.

This can all be solved but it will mean completely returning our health care system to the state it was in 50 years ago. There wasn't really any "insurance" back then. Of course - this presents certain problems when something catastrophic happens with your health - but it's the price for liberty.
Before I respond to this, I will give two disclaimers: 1st: I am a licensed health insurance agent. 2nd: I hate the current state of health insurance which made me shift more of my work to property/casualty insurance.

Not having insurance is the farthest from what this country needs. If you don't want insurance, then don't have it, but the thought that one should go bankrupt if something were to happen to them would be taking our country very far in the opposite direction of progress.

want to know something funny. my allergy meds used to be covered by my insurance, well somehow they got it made over the counter so insurance didn't have to cover it. now, because of abuse they are thinking to make it by prescription only again, lol.

if this legislation happens here is what we are in for:

much much higher insurance rates to cover the cost of increased prescriptions.

i see this as a real war between big pharma and big insurance.
Big pharma wants this = They would be the companies able to afford the research on herbal supplements to put them through FDA clearance. This means more money.

Government wants this = More Power, More Control. **** the FDA. The level of corruption is beyond itself.

Insurance = Honestly, I am not sure of what Insurance's desires in this legislation would be. One the one hand, natural remedies keep people away from the doctor which means less claims, On the other hand thinking Insurance CEOs, Health Care CEOs, and Pharma CEOs are not having golf sessions with each other regularly is ludacris. I know there is a motive, just not sure what it would be.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
sorry heretostudy-i can't believe the insurance companies would be behind this. if vitamins were to be made by prescription only-imagine all the extra doctor visits, not to mention these vitamins would now be covered on our insurance.

this is the best arguement i can think of:

if this legislation happens the increased cost of these nutrional supplements being covered by insurance would make our co-payments astronomical.

you can bet the insurance companies would pass this additional cost onto us-i put my life savings on that bet!!!!!!!

djbombsquad-get your head out of your arse!!!! :aargh:

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sorry heretostudy-i can't believe the insurance companies would be behind this. if vitamins were to be made by prescription only-imagine all the extra doctor visits, not to mention these vitamins would now be covered on our insurance.

this is the best arguement i can think of:

if this legislation happens the increased cost of these nutrional supplements being covered by insurance would make our co-payments astronomical.

you can bet the insurance companies would pass this additional cost onto us-i put my life savings on that bet!!!!!!!

djbombsquad-get your head out of your arse!!!! :aargh:
I worded that terribly. What I meant to portray is that I cant see any reason why insurance companies would want to see this happen. However, it is my thought that the actions of health care, insurance, and pharma are so in bed with each other that I wouldn't doubt the existence of some kind of back door benefit.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I worded that terribly. What I meant to portray is that I cant see any reason why insurance companies would want to see this happen. However, it is my thought that the actions of health care, insurance, and pharma are so in bed with each other that I wouldn't doubt the existence of some kind of back door benefit.
but you agree that if this happens, co-payments will go through the roof!!!!!

as of now i pay up to $8 for generics, i can see this rising by at least 50% if this legislation passes. so the insurance companies may be using this as an umbrella raise accross the board-just one more way big business is manipulating the government to screw the people.

this could very well be the back door benefit you were talking about.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Completely. Its not about your health, its about profit with insurance companies.
so if the insurance companies are on board with this legislation we can be sure we are going pay until it hurts. not only will this legislation cost us our supplements, it looks like it is designed to cost us big bucks on insurance premiums and co-pays.

this is a real double whammy guys-we have to fight this!!!!!!

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
It's just the classic "Re-direct so we can grab money" trick. At this point, goverment is basically a business, and all the politicians are it's employees. If they weren't grabbing money for this to "redistribute" to their "partners" (pharma, insurance and lobbyists) they'd be grabbing it from other funds that arent broke yet, or they'd invent one. Stuff is already in effect ot regulate/enforce this, they jsut need to utilize that, adn cut the red tape and pork barrel politics, period. If they can't do it, then fire/vote their arses out and get people who can, that's what happens at my job. If somebody isn't doing their job, don't hire someone to do their job and keep them, or change the job description to exclude what they are unwilling to do.I pretty much agree with everyone here, well, except DJbombsquad. Some people march to the beat of a different drummer, while he's his own darn band. Yeah, this has me pretty hot!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's just the classic "Re-direct so we can grab money" trick. At this point, goverment is basically a business, and all the politicians are it's employees. If they weren't grabbing money for this to "redistribute" to their "partners" (pharma, insurance and lobbyists) they'd be grabbing it from other funds that arent broke yet, or they'd invent one. Stuff is already in effect ot regulate/enforce this, they jsut need to utilize that, adn cut the red tape and pork barrel politics, period. If they can't do it, then fire/vote their arses out and get people who can, that's what happens at my job. If somebody isn't doing their job, don't hire someone to do their job and keep them, or change the job description to exclude what they are unwilling to do.I pretty much agree with everyone here, well, except DJbombsquad. Some people march to the beat of a different drummer, while he's his own darn band. Yeah, this has me pretty hot!!
at least most of us have figured out what they are up to. big pharma gets to raise prices on everyday supps and insurance companies use this as an excuse to raise rates accross the board. it's pretty easy to figure out-unless your name is djbombsquad, lol.

basic rule of thumb-follow the money trail.

the golden rule- 'he who has the gold, makes the rules'.

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
at least most of us have figured out what they are up to. big pharma gets to raise prices on everyday supps and insurance companies use this as an excuse to raise rates accross the board. it's pretty easy to figure out-unless your name is djbombsquad, lol.

basic rule of thumb-follow the money trail.

the golden rule- 'he who has the gold, makes the rules'.
Hehe one of my favorite quotes. I'll try and keep outta this thread so I don't go into any rants about politics. For the record, I love my country, just hate how politics have become a twisted.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Something needs to be done. So many companys make so many bogus claims and bogus products that may or may not work. I mean lot of the herbal stuff for us, how do we know if it works or not with out a peer review on the product you know.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hehe one of my favorite quotes. I'll try and keep outta this thread so I don't go into any rants about politics. For the record, I love my country, just hate how politics have become a twisted.
the day after a politician is elected he/she is thinking about re-election. election campaigns have become increasingly expensive, the more expensive they become the more the big money players gain control. big pharma and big insurance companies are extreme big money players-if a politician wants to be re-elected they will do what they are told. to think that politicians have free will to do what is right is sadly not true, if they vote against the wishes of big business, they won't be politicians for very long!!!!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Something needs to be done. So many companys make so many bogus claims and bogus products that may or may not work. I mean lot of the herbal stuff for us, how do we know if it works or not with out a peer review on the product you know.
earth to dj.......do you not see where this is going, cmon think about it!!!!:sigh1:

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Just a response about "health insurance" ...

It's the vehicle that "Mr. and Mrs. Nanny State" use to get into YOUR business and what YOU put into YOUR body.

As long as health care is "communal" - i.e. - it's paid for out of an insurance pool, or a taxpayer funded pool ... then that means everyone that pays into that pool has a say in what you do with your health.

It won't stop with supplements or cigarettes or Happy Meals. Eventually, you won't be able to ride a motorcycle or sky dive or scuba dive or participate in any "risky" behavior that the "busy bodies" in the "pool" don't like.

We either get rid of communal health care or ... we tell the "busy bodies" to shut the hell up, sit down, and color. I'm perfectly fine with doing the latter - but for some reason - we can't wrestle this debate from them.

Speaking of busy bodies - there is some "fitness fanatic" blonde that sometimes goes on cable news. I think she has the IQ of a freakin' turtle but she's always for EVERYTHING that involves forcing Americans to get into shape. She was even FOR allowing insurance companies to send your BF and other fitness parameters to your employer. Oh but of course - she wasn't "for" sending HIV results to your employer.

Anyway - I just want to throw eggs at my TV set whenever I see that woman come on.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Giving more power to already inept government agencies will NOT stop bogus claims, ridiculous before and after pictures, mislabeling etc. Agencies like the FDA and DEA would simply take a sledgehammer approach if we allowed them. If allowed they will destroy the supplement industry as we know it, including the good companies that actually sell products that perform as advertised.

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
the day after a politician is elected he/she is thinking about re-election. election campaigns have become increasingly expensive, the more expensive they become the more the big money players gain control. big pharma and big insurance companies are extreme big money players-if a politician wants to be re-elected they will do what they are told. to think that politicians have free will to do what is right is sadly not true, if they vote against the wishes of big business, they won't be politicians for very long!!!!!!
Agreed. 1 person standing up to something isn't near as effective as 100's doing it, big business will just buy someone else. People need to take a stand and proclaim that enough is enough. I'm tired of politicians and the government constantly eroding the populace's rights and passing laws to protect their power and limit our's. It's unfortunate, but every great society has had to/ is dealing with this issue. I understand it, but don't approve of it. The whole goal is to help those who can't help themselves, not for those select few to "Just help themelves."

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Agreed. 1 person standing up to something isn't near as effective as 100's doing it, big business will just buy someone else. People need to take a stand and proclaim that enough is enough. I'm tired of politicians and the government constantly eroding the populace's rights and passing laws to protect their power and limit our's. It's unfortunate, but every great society has had to/ is dealing with this issue. I understand it, but don't approve of it. The whole goal is to help those who can't help themselves, not for those select few to "Just help themelves."
right the f' on. you and i are on on the same page, my brother.:cheers:

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
One good thing, is that proprietary blends will go away.

But yea, I doubt alot of what we take would be 'approved' by the FDA. Bummer. I do think however this is just more wasted time, I don't think this will go through.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Go take a look in your supplement cabinet. Most of what you see won't touch the market again. Products you swear by, recommend to your friend, now is in the hands of the FDA. Why approve DAA for testosterone? The FDA already has approved test inj. by Rx.

Just a response about "health insurance" ...

It's the vehicle that "Mr. and Mrs. Nanny State" use to get into YOUR business and what YOU put into YOUR body.

As long as health care is "communal" - i.e. - it's paid for out of an insurance pool, or a taxpayer funded pool ... then that means everyone that pays into that pool has a say in what you do with your health.

It won't stop with supplements or cigarettes or Happy Meals. Eventually, you won't be able to ride a motorcycle or sky dive or scuba dive or participate in any "risky" behavior that the "busy bodies" in the "pool" don't like.

We either get rid of communal health care or ... we tell the "busy bodies" to shut the hell up, sit down, and color. I'm perfectly fine with doing the latter - but for some reason - we can't wrestle this debate from them.

Speaking of busy bodies - there is some "fitness fanatic" blonde that sometimes goes on cable news. I think she has the IQ of a freakin' turtle but she's always for EVERYTHING that involves forcing Americans to get into shape. She was even FOR allowing insurance companies to send your BF and other fitness parameters to your employer. Oh but of course - she wasn't "for" sending HIV results to your employer.

Anyway - I just want to throw eggs at my TV set whenever I see that woman come on.
I think you are taking the conspiracy to a different level here.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Giving more power to already inept government agencies will NOT stop bogus claims, ridiculous before and after pictures, mislabeling etc. Agencies like the FDA and DEA would simply take a sledgehammer approach if we allowed them. If allowed they will destroy the supplement industry as we know it, including the good companies that actually sell products that perform as advertised.
I don't see why it would destry a good company. A honest company, a company that publishes there findings before selling it, a company that does not try to profit off a product and with the profits trys to do a study. (Jacked 3d is a great example.) I am using my multi from a good company that testes all there products before seling it and they won't go any ware if the FDA comes in so I have nothing to worry about. I am really not sure what you are talking about. If you mean companys that have a large following but don't test there products I can understand. Any good company will test and publish there findings wouldn't you agree?

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Test as in what? Testing raw materials? All the good companies do this. However I have the feeling you mean test as in performing peer reviewed clinical studies, which is a cost most "good" companies would not be able to take on. A company should already test raws and be dshea compliant, no excuses in either realm. Your little multi company may be able to stay in tact but what if suddenly the FDA doesn't agree with dosages of vitamins? Have you seen FDA vitamin d recommendations? Make me laugh!

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I don't see why it would destry a good company. A honest company, a company that publishes there findings before selling it, a company that does not try to profit off a product and with the profits trys to do a study. (Jacked 3d is a great example.)
WTF are you talking about? The purpose of being in business is to make a profit.

I am using my multi from a good company that testes all there products before seling it and they won't go any ware if the FDA comes in so I have nothing to worry about. I am really not sure what you are talking about. If you mean companys that have a large following but don't test there products I can understand. Any good company will test and publish there findings wouldn't you agree?
Remember what forum you are on. This is ANABOLIC MINDS, not The Vitamin Club for Men. I certainly don't mean the vitamin/protein/creatine/fat loss/preworkout/etc crowd. But, as we have seen since the initial PH ban way back when, the real muscle building compounds that we can obtain legally are slowly but surely going away. Companies that make their money selling these are threatened by this new legislation.

This is happening in spite of the existing DSHEA allowances. If the new legislation passes, the agencies involved will have unfettered power to ban what they want at their whim. I don't think that niche companies like CEL, PP, MR, etc cannot survive in their current form if the "good stuff" is suddenly no longer available. And I certainly don't see any of these types of companies are going to suddenly try to make a PROFIT selling vitamins and BCAAs.

And, I still say that the large pharma companies would do away with virtually ALL supplements and the companies that sell them if they could get away with it.