Are Digestive Enzymes... really... necessary?

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I have been a user and even advocate of Digestive Enzymes for quite a long time, relying on them while prepping for contests in hopes of achieving higher nutrient utilization/absorption and prior to cheat meals or red-meat meals etc to assist in the break down and assimilation.

That being said... I am curious on the scientific take regarding these additives and if they serve a necessitated utility in the diet, worthy of being implemented long-term and daily.

Our body, as described by medical counselor during my last appointment, does not have a rate-limited reserve of enzymes, but can rather produce an unlimited amount of enzymes to handily breakdown and digest meals with efficient ease... so why add more? Is this a largely misunderstood exercise in futility?

Discuss...

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Can't speak for everyone. I do have digestion problems, so enzymes helps me digest better. I like Ginger root too because it is one of very few substances that speed up gastric emptying.
There are things you will never feel if you are healthy, so you will always question the reason behind taking them. And you most likely do not need them if healthy. But if you have digestiive problems like I do, certain things help a lot. Pineapples, apples, ginger root, and digestive enzymes. However, I don take them when I am not having digestive problems.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Also, keep in mind, in perfect world, our body works perfectly. But the reality is that our body is flawed. We are lactose sensitive, we have digestive problems, we do not process certain aminos or vitamins.. Etc. Even though the body is supposed to function properly, it doesn't always do so.

onlyone

Awards
After a Doctor looked at my blood he recommended me to take Plant Enzymes to absorb the protien better. Anyone used Plant enzymes, or what supplements do you use?

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
It is my understanding that the body's ability to efficiently produce an adequate supply of digestive enzymes begins to decline with age. Stephen Spindler's lab has been conducting a very large scale experiment/analysis on various life extension compounds over the last couple years with final results not expected for another year or two. Over 200 compounds were filtered through a Drosophila screening system before the final compounds were selected to be supplemented in mice. In a presentation he gave which I saw on YouTube he mentioned a handful of the compounds that were showing the best results and one of those was LEF's Digestive Enzymes product.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
VERY good discussion and solid points so far guys! Keep it up. *REPS to EVERYONE who contributes in this thread!

Does a training otherwise healthy 20-30yr old male, who consumes copious calories and supplements, need to take digestive enzymes to realize maximal absorption of both nutrients and nutraceuticals?

THAT is the question ;)

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Lets put it like this, there are way too MANY factors to whether or not taking digestive enzymes are needed, as pointed out earlier, as one gets older; the amount of digestive enzymes decline within the system. I once read an article that researchers are not too fund of overcnosuming probiotics as it may slow down production of endogenous stomach fighting bacteria digestive enzymes. The biggest way to prevent issues with the stomach is preventing inflammation. Taking Krill oil, bromelain, curcunim, and magnesium will all help counter the effects of inflammation.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Taking Krill oil, bromelain, curcunim, and magnesium will all help counter the effects of inflammation.
Reps coming your way. I have researched and ONLY ever seen encouraging feedback and science behind Bromelain!

Krill Oil is also 99.9% of the way toward becoming a hallmark in my lifelong supplementation plans.

I do not take or have an attraction toward probiotics... I should have started this thread by asking if THE FOLLOWING are of advantage and necessitated by training 20-30yr old males:

-Protease
-Amylase
-Lipase

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Those three are a standard and have success behind them, although unless one has a high protein diet such as bber, protease won't be too necessary, a nice additon for red meat though.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Those three are a standard and have success behind them, although unless one has a high protein diet such as bber, protease won't be too necessary, a nice additon for red meat though.
Thank you very much... I believe these supplements are merited, and I am going to continue taking them and add in Bromelain.

Any more contributions or opinions are welcomed! :)

How does this look?

Acid Protease 4 SAPU
Bromelain 5 GDU
Fungal Amylase 1,750 SKB
Fungal Protease I 2,200 HUT
Fungal Protease II 750 HU
Lactase 100 ALU
Lipase 250 FIP
Invertase 250 Sumner
Papain 1,500 TU

Betaine HCL 150mg
Pepsin 1:10,000 25mg
Bromelain 2400 GDU/gm 25mg
Papain 36,000 PU/GM 25mg

Marshmallow Extract 4:1
Peppermint Extract 4:1
Ginger Root Extract (5% gingerols)
Black Pepper (95% extract)

holmes215

holmes215

Awards
  • Established
I just eat alot of yogurt with active cultures, helps, so no need for me to use any digestive enzymes

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Thank you very much... I believe these supplements are merited, and I am going to continue taking them and add in Bromelain.

Any more contributions or opinions are welcomed! :)

How does this look?
I feel bromelain should be doubled of what you got at the least, 50 -250mgs

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I feel bromelain should be doubled of what you got at the least, 50 -250mgs
Well I would take 1 cap with every meal, so 6-7 caps/day which would = 150mg/day total.

PS: Are there any detrimental effects that can be realized by taking digestive enzymes, such as diarrhea?

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I cannot say if digestive enzymes actually help but if I am low on fiber (rare) or eating bad food due to traveling (now), I will take my NOW digestive enzymes for a few weeks after to help me as I shift my diet back to cleanliness. Also I always run them when I cut.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
I truly believe in Systemic enzymes, not only do the help with the stomach but hey ail in inflammation big time as well as helping fix nagging injuries and scar tissue.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I cannot say if digestive enzymes actually help but if I am low on fiber (rare) or eating bad food due to traveling (now), I will take my NOW digestive enzymes for a few weeks after to help me as I shift my diet back to cleanliness. Also I always run them when I cut.
So, pre-contest then would be a time period we agree on that they are necessitated and justified?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everyone is different. But I notice a difference with enzymes. I just use the NOW brand

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Well I would take 1 cap with every meal, so 6-7 caps/day which would = 150mg/day total.

PS: Are there any detrimental effects that can be realized by taking digestive enzymes, such as diarrhea?
Well diarrhea occurs from a lack of digestion, with the flow of bacteria and water coming out the rectum/etc. I do not believe there is evidence of the negatives of taking digestive enzymes on the long term.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Well diarrhea occurs from a lack of digestion, with the flow of bacteria and water coming out the rectum/etc. I do not believe there is evidence of the negatives of taking digestive enzymes on the long term.
Thanks a lot. Can you believe it... Anabolic Minds told me I can't give you anymore reps right now, oh the nerve!

So the runs are actually a byproduct of NOT digesting properly... because when I increase my protein consumption and reduce my carbohydrate (and subsequently fiber) intake, I notice I can go days on end without a solid stool.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Taking pre/pro-biotics is just as important. I also eat pineapple daily for the bromelain and have done so for years.

MrDeadlift

Awards
I used to rely on yogurt by mixing it with my protein rich shakes but still it was not enough. What I realized are two things: If you are a normal person on a normal diet then you probably do not need any additional enzymes. If you are a bodybuilder on a high caloric diet for bulking for example, then I think most people would benefit from adding enzymes. Personally, as my caloric intake increased, digestion became a problem and bloating became an issue associated with improper digestion. Enzymes did provide me with the relief and comfort that the food I am consuming will not go to waste.

Secondly, our bodies are not used to digesting junk food (fast food, deli stuff ..etc.) with all the artificial ingredients added. I personally think that people who are not 100% on a healthy, natural diet and consume adequate amount of their calorie from fast food, then enzymes would surely help.

For thousands of years, people always believed that most ailments and diseases occur and start from the stomach, which is why should watch what we eat, quantity consumes are important for maintaining a good health. Sadly, we are reaching an era where people are having problems digesting lactase, beef, beans …etc (many food allergies) and I think enzymes will play an important factor to help those people cope.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Taking pre/pro-biotics is just as important. I also eat pineapple daily for the bromelain and have done so for years.
How much pineapple do you eat for the recommended amount?

Also I have heard papaya has some quality enzymes that will help those suffering from MINOR gluten intolerance. Any truth to this?

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established

Also I have heard papaya has some quality enzymes that will help those suffering from MINOR gluten intolerance. Any truth to this?
Pineapple is DELICIOUS, and a very nice high-GI treat after a workout to reload glycogen levels; but I would think the cost and inability to consume it in large enough quantities throughout the day would render it moot (especially when pure Bromelain capsules can be had for so little).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I eat 2-3 rings along with some blueberries for my breakfast. Papaya has papain, which is another enzyme, but I am not sure if it also possesses the same anit-inflammatory properties.

Pineapple is DELICIOUS, and a very nice high-GI treat after a workout to reload glycogen levels; but I would think the cost and inability to consume it in large enough quantities throughout the day would render it moot (especially when pure Bromelain capsules can be had for so little).
Pineapple is not high-GI at all. I also have a major issue with relying on capsules when it may the synergy between the components within the fruit. Kinda like the difference between naringin vs grapefruit.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My digestion is terrible (already), and I take probiotics every morning and digestive enzymes and other digestive aids with every meal.
For me, they're very necessary.

colange2

Awards
I have tried regular digestive enzymes (protease, amylase, lipase), papaya enzyme, and betaine HCL for digestive problems and the HCL has helped the most. Suprisingly, the cheap papaya enzyme (only 4 bucks or so at trader joe's) did just as much for me as the digestive enzymes.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Pineapple is not high-GI at all. I also have a major issue with relying on capsules when it may the synergy between the components within the fruit. Kinda like the difference between naringin vs grapefruit.
You're right, it's only a medium GI. I wonder what I was thinking about? I see what you're getting at as far as other micro-nutrients being in the whole fruit, but if you're eating it to accomplish a specific goal (deriving an enzyme) I just thought it would be better to go straight to the cow's utter rather than hanging out with the farmer.

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
You're right, it's only a medium GI. I wonder what I was thinking about? I see what you're getting at as far as other micro-nutrients being in the whole fruit, but if you're eating it to accomplish a specific goal (deriving an enzyme) I just thought it would be better to go straight to the cow's utter rather than hanging out with the farmer.
Haha! Sorry outstanding, I have nothing constructive to offer but that last line was pretty clever, I've never heard that before.

However, this thread is of interest to me as I've been on the fence about purchasing some digestive enzymes. Would digestive enzymes be what I'm looking for if I'm trying to combat my horrible, horrible gas from my protein/diet?

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Haha! Sorry outstanding, I have nothing constructive to offer but that last line was pretty clever, I've never heard that before.

However, this thread is of interest to me as I've been on the fence about purchasing some digestive enzymes. Would digestive enzymes be what I'm looking for if I'm trying to combat my horrible, horrible gas from my protein/diet?
Clever you say? Man, I thought that was pretty lame actually. Thanks.

As far as gas, I always have it - always. I never eat less than 300g of protein per day, so it's a constant challenge. I'm really not able to offer any valuable insight for the past hour or so, I've been listening to Louis CK on You Tube. I don't even know what I just typed about or if I made mistakes.

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
Clever you say? Man, I thought that was pretty lame actually. Thanks.

As far as gas, I always have it - always. I never eat less than 300g of protein per day, so it's a constant challenge. I'm really not able to offer any valuable insight for the past hour or so, I've been listening to Louis CK on You Tube. I don't even know what I just typed about or if I made mistakes.
Haha I saw him live 2 summers ago, he's hilarious... I actually got to see him and Bob Saget the same night on Opie and Anthony's traveling virus tour in Philly. Those two dudes are insane... but before this thread is derailed and all about comedians, if someone has suggestions about handling gas (gas-x and beano gets expensive!) I'd love to hear em.

darthdarek84

darthdarek84

Awards
Reps coming your way. I have researched and ONLY ever seen encouraging feedback and science behind Bromelain!

Krill Oil is also 99.9% of the way toward becoming a hallmark in my lifelong supplementation plans.

I do not take or have an attraction toward probiotics... I should have started this thread by asking if THE FOLLOWING are of advantage and necessitated by training 20-30yr old males:

-Protease
-Amylase
-Lipase
They definitely help! Especially if ur trying to gain more muscle, so eating more food than what ur body is used to. This may cause stress on ur body and it may not be able to keep up with digestive enzymes release on its own. This is where xtra digstive help comes in.:cheers: Speaking from my experience, I've felt like I'm able to digest more food and put it where it needs to go. I myself do a slice of papaya after each meal. Oh and whoever was asking, papaya doesn't really have any anti-inflammatory properties. I use it cause it's an all around digest supp.I also take a good probiotic, since I don't really eat yogurt. This also does wonders and I suggest to all if ur not eating yogurt. Heck ,enzymes and probiotics can help during cutting, helping food digestion and improving waste elimination.
Also loose stools can be caused by the increase of bad bacteria in intestines, throwing off proper intestinal flora. In those cases probiotics can actually reduce loose stools by not allowing quick passing of food.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
I have digestion issues and the enzymes seem to help with emptying my stomach faster. I use NOW Digest Platinum. It is more expensive but the enzyme activity is off the charts and it has over a dozen different types and PH ranges. For example, speficic ones for specific proteins and carbs. Lipase activity is 3500 FIP, way more than most. I tried Super Enzymes but I guess the Betaine HCL jacks my stomach up bad.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
Reps to both of you, thanks for your thoughts! :)
Thanks. What is confusing as heck is that plant and animal-based enzyme activity is measured with different and sometimes inconsistent units. So it's hard to compare products. If some brainiac on here could help decipher that, I would rep them every day for weeks...

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. What is confusing as heck is that plant and animal-based enzyme activity is measured with different and sometimes inconsistent units. So it's hard to compare products. If some brainiac on here could help decipher that, I would rep them every day for weeks...
Someone make up a fake answer and earn reps galore! ;)

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i find them to be quite helpful, Ive used some by NOW and will be using the Beverly product.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I get diareah if I don't take them. I don't really think they help me with anabolism(maby a little) but they keep me from wearing my butthole away with constant diareah.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I get diareah if I don't take them. I don't really think they help me with anabolism(maby a little) but they keep me from wearing my butthole away with constant diareah.
I seem like I always have diarreaha at least once a day... BUT I do eat a grapefruit in the morning, and that's MURDER on cleaning you out ;) Case in point, I need to isolate what could be causing it. I consume 300g of protein daily from meals alone, not counting pre/intra workout powders and BCAAs, or Liver Tabs.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
I seem like I always have diarreaha at least once a day... BUT I do eat a grapefruit in the morning, and that's MURDER on cleaning you out ;) Case in point, I need to isolate what could be causing it. I consume 300g of protein daily from meals alone, not counting pre/intra workout powders and BCAAs, or Liver Tabs.
Do you use gms?

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
Enzymedica Digest Gold is amazing. It's pricey and I only buy it on clearance.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
Enzymedica Digest Gold is amazing. It's pricey and I only buy it on clearance.
You outta check out Digest Platinum by NOW. More types of enzymes, higher activity per enzyme and cheaper...

I put in a request for Nutra to carry, btw...

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Ive been looking fo ways to cut all pill binders. I think it's helping. And don't take any mgnesium supplements with low bioavailability.

spimp187

Awards
Logically speaking, I think that if you were to eat outside of "normal", it would seem beneficial to supplement with digestive enzymes. For example, consuming larger meals than normal, or meals that were higher in fat. I have no scientific backing on that but it seems logical to me.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Do you use gms?
Not for a few years... only Veg. Glycerine on upper body days; but my symptoms persist every day, in varying degrees of severity. I do notice my stools are much more solid on days I don't have grapefruit (which seems to be a natural laxative).

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Ive been looking fo ways to cut all pill binders. I think it's helping. And don't take any mgnesium supplements with low bioavailability.
Interesting, why Magnesium and also why the low bio-availability concern? I too wish I could cut all binders in my daily supplement ritual (such a waste)!

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would say digestive enzymes and well as systemic are a great staple.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
ive used them before, i liked em they help keep bloating down and probiotics/yogurt are good too, digestion is the most important part of being healthy i feel

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can't speak for everyone. I do have digestion problems, so enzymes helps me digest better. I like Ginger root too because it is one of very few substances that speed up gastric emptying.
There are things you will never feel if you are healthy, so you will always question the reason behind taking them. And you most likely do not need them if healthy. But if you have digestiive problems like I do, certain things help a lot. Pineapples, apples, ginger root, and digestive enzymes. However, I don take them when I am not having digestive problems.
Do you take Ginger root in supplement form, and if so, do you take it befor or after a meal?

Also to thread contributors, whats the consensus for best brand/version of enzymes?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Just speaking for myself,

when I take Orange TRIad (multi that includes digestive enzymes) with or without meals, I do not get heart burn - especially after a large meal. I eat alot of large meals since I'm bulking.

The days I miss or skip Orange TRIad unintentionally, I get heart burn.

Thats just my .02. Seems like they're worth it to me

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AdelV Supplements 5
Supplements 4
Supplements 1
Supplements 10
Anabolics 26