Are Digestive Enzymes... really... necessary?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0

    Arrow Are Digestive Enzymes... really... necessary?


    I have been a user and even advocate of Digestive Enzymes for quite a long time, relying on them while prepping for contests in hopes of achieving higher nutrient utilization/absorption and prior to cheat meals or red-meat meals etc to assist in the break down and assimilation.

    That being said... I am curious on the scientific take regarding these additives and if they serve a necessitated utility in the diet, worthy of being implemented long-term and daily.

    Our body, as described by medical counselor during my last appointment, does not have a rate-limited reserve of enzymes, but can rather produce an unlimited amount of enzymes to handily breakdown and digest meals with efficient ease... so why add more? Is this a largely misunderstood exercise in futility?

    Discuss...

  2. Registered User
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Answers
    0


    Can't speak for everyone. I do have digestion problems, so enzymes helps me digest better. I like Ginger root too because it is one of very few substances that speed up gastric emptying.
    There are things you will never feel if you are healthy, so you will always question the reason behind taking them. And you most likely do not need them if healthy. But if you have digestiive problems like I do, certain things help a lot. Pineapples, apples, ginger root, and digestive enzymes. However, I don take them when I am not having digestive problems.
  3. Registered User
    fadi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,163
    Answers
    0


    Also, keep in mind, in perfect world, our body works perfectly. But the reality is that our body is flawed. We are lactose sensitive, we have digestive problems, we do not process certain aminos or vitamins.. Etc. Even though the body is supposed to function properly, it doesn't always do so.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    onlyone's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    222
    Answers
    0


    After a Doctor looked at my blood he recommended me to take Plant Enzymes to absorb the protien better. Anyone used Plant enzymes, or what supplements do you use?
  5. Registered User
    sapentia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    137
    Answers
    0


    It is my understanding that the body's ability to efficiently produce an adequate supply of digestive enzymes begins to decline with age. Stephen Spindler's lab has been conducting a very large scale experiment/analysis on various life extension compounds over the last couple years with final results not expected for another year or two. Over 200 compounds were filtered through a Drosophila screening system before the final compounds were selected to be supplemented in mice. In a presentation he gave which I saw on YouTube he mentioned a handful of the compounds that were showing the best results and one of those was LEF's Digestive Enzymes product.
  6. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    VERY good discussion and solid points so far guys! Keep it up. *REPS to EVERYONE who contributes in this thread!



    Does a training otherwise healthy 20-30yr old male, who consumes copious calories and supplements, need to take digestive enzymes to realize maximal absorption of both nutrients and nutraceuticals?

    THAT is the question
  7. Registered User
    andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,429
    Answers
    0


    Lets put it like this, there are way too MANY factors to whether or not taking digestive enzymes are needed, as pointed out earlier, as one gets older; the amount of digestive enzymes decline within the system. I once read an article that researchers are not too fund of overcnosuming probiotics as it may slow down production of endogenous stomach fighting bacteria digestive enzymes. The biggest way to prevent issues with the stomach is preventing inflammation. Taking Krill oil, bromelain, curcunim, and magnesium will all help counter the effects of inflammation.
  8. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Taking Krill oil, bromelain, curcunim, and magnesium will all help counter the effects of inflammation.
    Reps coming your way. I have researched and ONLY ever seen encouraging feedback and science behind Bromelain!

    Krill Oil is also 99.9% of the way toward becoming a hallmark in my lifelong supplementation plans.

    I do not take or have an attraction toward probiotics... I should have started this thread by asking if THE FOLLOWING are of advantage and necessitated by training 20-30yr old males:

    -Protease
    -Amylase
    -Lipase
  9. Registered User
    andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,429
    Answers
    0


    Those three are a standard and have success behind them, although unless one has a high protein diet such as bber, protease won't be too necessary, a nice additon for red meat though.
  10. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Those three are a standard and have success behind them, although unless one has a high protein diet such as bber, protease won't be too necessary, a nice additon for red meat though.
    Thank you very much... I believe these supplements are merited, and I am going to continue taking them and add in Bromelain.

    Any more contributions or opinions are welcomed!

    How does this look?

    Acid Protease 4 SAPU
    Bromelain 5 GDU
    Fungal Amylase 1,750 SKB
    Fungal Protease I 2,200 HUT
    Fungal Protease II 750 HU
    Lactase 100 ALU
    Lipase 250 FIP
    Invertase 250 Sumner
    Papain 1,500 TU

    Betaine HCL 150mg
    Pepsin 1:10,000 25mg
    Bromelain 2400 GDU/gm 25mg
    Papain 36,000 PU/GM 25mg

    Marshmallow Extract 4:1
    Peppermint Extract 4:1
    Ginger Root Extract (5% gingerols)
    Black Pepper (95% extract)
  11. Registered User
    holmes215's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    475
    Answers
    0


    I just eat alot of yogurt with active cultures, helps, so no need for me to use any digestive enzymes
  12. Registered User
    andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,429
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Thank you very much... I believe these supplements are merited, and I am going to continue taking them and add in Bromelain.

    Any more contributions or opinions are welcomed!

    How does this look?
    I feel bromelain should be doubled of what you got at the least, 50 -250mgs
  13. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    I feel bromelain should be doubled of what you got at the least, 50 -250mgs
    Well I would take 1 cap with every meal, so 6-7 caps/day which would = 150mg/day total.

    PS: Are there any detrimental effects that can be realized by taking digestive enzymes, such as diarrhea?
  14. Registered User
    oufinny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,941
    Answers
    2


    I cannot say if digestive enzymes actually help but if I am low on fiber (rare) or eating bad food due to traveling (now), I will take my NOW digestive enzymes for a few weeks after to help me as I shift my diet back to cleanliness. Also I always run them when I cut.
  15. Registered User
    ryanp81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,123
    Answers
    0


    I truly believe in Systemic enzymes, not only do the help with the stomach but hey ail in inflammation big time as well as helping fix nagging injuries and scar tissue.
  16. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by oufinny View Post
    I cannot say if digestive enzymes actually help but if I am low on fiber (rare) or eating bad food due to traveling (now), I will take my NOW digestive enzymes for a few weeks after to help me as I shift my diet back to cleanliness. Also I always run them when I cut.
    So, pre-contest then would be a time period we agree on that they are necessitated and justified?
  17. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,134
    Answers
    7


    Everyone is different. But I notice a difference with enzymes. I just use the NOW brand
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  18. Registered User
    andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,429
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Well I would take 1 cap with every meal, so 6-7 caps/day which would = 150mg/day total.

    PS: Are there any detrimental effects that can be realized by taking digestive enzymes, such as diarrhea?
    Well diarrhea occurs from a lack of digestion, with the flow of bacteria and water coming out the rectum/etc. I do not believe there is evidence of the negatives of taking digestive enzymes on the long term.
  19. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Well diarrhea occurs from a lack of digestion, with the flow of bacteria and water coming out the rectum/etc. I do not believe there is evidence of the negatives of taking digestive enzymes on the long term.
    Thanks a lot. Can you believe it... Anabolic Minds told me I can't give you anymore reps right now, oh the nerve!

    So the runs are actually a byproduct of NOT digesting properly... because when I increase my protein consumption and reduce my carbohydrate (and subsequently fiber) intake, I notice I can go days on end without a solid stool.
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,150
    Answers
    1


    Taking pre/pro-biotics is just as important. I also eat pineapple daily for the bromelain and have done so for years.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    MrDeadlift's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    114
    Answers
    0


    I used to rely on yogurt by mixing it with my protein rich shakes but still it was not enough. What I realized are two things: If you are a normal person on a normal diet then you probably do not need any additional enzymes. If you are a bodybuilder on a high caloric diet for bulking for example, then I think most people would benefit from adding enzymes. Personally, as my caloric intake increased, digestion became a problem and bloating became an issue associated with improper digestion. Enzymes did provide me with the relief and comfort that the food I am consuming will not go to waste.

    Secondly, our bodies are not used to digesting junk food (fast food, deli stuff ..etc.) with all the artificial ingredients added. I personally think that people who are not 100% on a healthy, natural diet and consume adequate amount of their calorie from fast food, then enzymes would surely help.

    For thousands of years, people always believed that most ailments and diseases occur and start from the stomach, which is why should watch what we eat, quantity consumes are important for maintaining a good health. Sadly, we are reaching an era where people are having problems digesting lactase, beef, beans etc (many food allergies) and I think enzymes will play an important factor to help those people cope.
  22. Registered User
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Taking pre/pro-biotics is just as important. I also eat pineapple daily for the bromelain and have done so for years.
    How much pineapple do you eat for the recommended amount?

    Also I have heard papaya has some quality enzymes that will help those suffering from MINOR gluten intolerance. Any truth to this?
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  23. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    How much pineapple do you eat for the recommended amount?

    Also I have heard papaya has some quality enzymes that will help those suffering from MINOR gluten intolerance. Any truth to this?
    Pineapple is DELICIOUS, and a very nice high-GI treat after a workout to reload glycogen levels; but I would think the cost and inability to consume it in large enough quantities throughout the day would render it moot (especially when pure Bromelain capsules can be had for so little).
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,150
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    How much pineapple do you eat for the recommended amount?

    Also I have heard papaya has some quality enzymes that will help those suffering from MINOR gluten intolerance. Any truth to this?
    I eat 2-3 rings along with some blueberries for my breakfast. Papaya has papain, which is another enzyme, but I am not sure if it also possesses the same anit-inflammatory properties.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Pineapple is DELICIOUS, and a very nice high-GI treat after a workout to reload glycogen levels; but I would think the cost and inability to consume it in large enough quantities throughout the day would render it moot (especially when pure Bromelain capsules can be had for so little).
    Pineapple is not high-GI at all. I also have a major issue with relying on capsules when it may the synergy between the components within the fruit. Kinda like the difference between naringin vs grapefruit.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  25. Banned
    sluggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    499
    Answers
    0


    My digestion is terrible (already), and I take probiotics every morning and digestive enzymes and other digestive aids with every meal.
    For me, they're very necessary.
  26. Registered User
    colange2's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    64
    Answers
    0


    I have tried regular digestive enzymes (protease, amylase, lipase), papaya enzyme, and betaine HCL for digestive problems and the HCL has helped the most. Suprisingly, the cheap papaya enzyme (only 4 bucks or so at trader joe's) did just as much for me as the digestive enzymes.
  27. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Pineapple is not high-GI at all. I also have a major issue with relying on capsules when it may the synergy between the components within the fruit. Kinda like the difference between naringin vs grapefruit.
    You're right, it's only a medium GI. I wonder what I was thinking about? I see what you're getting at as far as other micro-nutrients being in the whole fruit, but if you're eating it to accomplish a specific goal (deriving an enzyme) I just thought it would be better to go straight to the cow's utter rather than hanging out with the farmer.
  28. Registered User
    tbarrows's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    311
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    You're right, it's only a medium GI. I wonder what I was thinking about? I see what you're getting at as far as other micro-nutrients being in the whole fruit, but if you're eating it to accomplish a specific goal (deriving an enzyme) I just thought it would be better to go straight to the cow's utter rather than hanging out with the farmer.
    Haha! Sorry outstanding, I have nothing constructive to offer but that last line was pretty clever, I've never heard that before.

    However, this thread is of interest to me as I've been on the fence about purchasing some digestive enzymes. Would digestive enzymes be what I'm looking for if I'm trying to combat my horrible, horrible gas from my protein/diet?
  29. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by tbarrows View Post
    Haha! Sorry outstanding, I have nothing constructive to offer but that last line was pretty clever, I've never heard that before.

    However, this thread is of interest to me as I've been on the fence about purchasing some digestive enzymes. Would digestive enzymes be what I'm looking for if I'm trying to combat my horrible, horrible gas from my protein/diet?
    Clever you say? Man, I thought that was pretty lame actually. Thanks.

    As far as gas, I always have it - always. I never eat less than 300g of protein per day, so it's a constant challenge. I'm really not able to offer any valuable insight for the past hour or so, I've been listening to Louis CK on You Tube. I don't even know what I just typed about or if I made mistakes.
  30. Registered User
    tbarrows's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    311
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Clever you say? Man, I thought that was pretty lame actually. Thanks.

    As far as gas, I always have it - always. I never eat less than 300g of protein per day, so it's a constant challenge. I'm really not able to offer any valuable insight for the past hour or so, I've been listening to Louis CK on You Tube. I don't even know what I just typed about or if I made mistakes.
    Haha I saw him live 2 summers ago, he's hilarious... I actually got to see him and Bob Saget the same night on Opie and Anthony's traveling virus tour in Philly. Those two dudes are insane... but before this thread is derailed and all about comedians, if someone has suggestions about handling gas (gas-x and beano gets expensive!) I'd love to hear em.
  31. Registered User
    darthdarek84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    217
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Reps coming your way. I have researched and ONLY ever seen encouraging feedback and science behind Bromelain!

    Krill Oil is also 99.9% of the way toward becoming a hallmark in my lifelong supplementation plans.

    I do not take or have an attraction toward probiotics... I should have started this thread by asking if THE FOLLOWING are of advantage and necessitated by training 20-30yr old males:

    -Protease
    -Amylase
    -Lipase
    They definitely help! Especially if ur trying to gain more muscle, so eating more food than what ur body is used to. This may cause stress on ur body and it may not be able to keep up with digestive enzymes release on its own. This is where xtra digstive help comes in. Speaking from my experience, I've felt like I'm able to digest more food and put it where it needs to go. I myself do a slice of papaya after each meal. Oh and whoever was asking, papaya doesn't really have any anti-inflammatory properties. I use it cause it's an all around digest supp.I also take a good probiotic, since I don't really eat yogurt. This also does wonders and I suggest to all if ur not eating yogurt. Heck ,enzymes and probiotics can help during cutting, helping food digestion and improving waste elimination.
    Also loose stools can be caused by the increase of bad bacteria in intestines, throwing off proper intestinal flora. In those cases probiotics can actually reduce loose stools by not allowing quick passing of food.
  32. Registered User
    ccnAbolic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    477
    Answers
    0


    I have digestion issues and the enzymes seem to help with emptying my stomach faster. I use NOW Digest Platinum. It is more expensive but the enzyme activity is off the charts and it has over a dozen different types and PH ranges. For example, speficic ones for specific proteins and carbs. Lipase activity is 3500 FIP, way more than most. I tried Super Enzymes but I guess the Betaine HCL jacks my stomach up bad.
  33. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Reps to both of you, thanks for your thoughts!
  34. Registered User
    ccnAbolic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    477
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Reps to both of you, thanks for your thoughts!
    Thanks. What is confusing as heck is that plant and animal-based enzyme activity is measured with different and sometimes inconsistent units. So it's hard to compare products. If some brainiac on here could help decipher that, I would rep them every day for weeks...
  35. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ccnAbolic View Post
    Thanks. What is confusing as heck is that plant and animal-based enzyme activity is measured with different and sometimes inconsistent units. So it's hard to compare products. If some brainiac on here could help decipher that, I would rep them every day for weeks...
    Someone make up a fake answer and earn reps galore!
  36. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    SwolenONE's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,135
    Answers
    1


    i find them to be quite helpful, Ive used some by NOW and will be using the Beverly product.
  37. Registered User
    kingdong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Answers
    0


    I get diareah if I don't take them. I don't really think they help me with anabolism(maby a little) but they keep me from wearing my butthole away with constant diareah.
  38. Registered User
    Outstanding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    I get diareah if I don't take them. I don't really think they help me with anabolism(maby a little) but they keep me from wearing my butthole away with constant diareah.
    I seem like I always have diarreaha at least once a day... BUT I do eat a grapefruit in the morning, and that's MURDER on cleaning you out Case in point, I need to isolate what could be causing it. I consume 300g of protein daily from meals alone, not counting pre/intra workout powders and BCAAs, or Liver Tabs.
  39. Registered User
    ccnAbolic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    477
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    I seem like I always have diarreaha at least once a day... BUT I do eat a grapefruit in the morning, and that's MURDER on cleaning you out Case in point, I need to isolate what could be causing it. I consume 300g of protein daily from meals alone, not counting pre/intra workout powders and BCAAs, or Liver Tabs.
    Do you use gms?
  40. Registered User
    Ev52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,334
    Answers
    0


    Enzymedica Digest Gold is amazing. It's pricey and I only buy it on clearance.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. digestive enzymes
    By mkretz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 10:33 AM
  2. Digestive Enzymes
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
  3. Digestive enzymes
    By jsp0785 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
  4. Digestive Enzymes
    By PHWSSJ in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in