Are Digestive Enzymes... really... necessary?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.59%

Quote Originally Posted by Ev52 View Post
    Enzymedica Digest Gold is amazing. It's pricey and I only buy it on clearance.
    You outta check out Digest Platinum by NOW. More types of enzymes, higher activity per enzyme and cheaper...

I put in a request for Nutra to carry, btw...

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ccnAbolic View Post
    You outta check out Digest Platinum by NOW. More types of enzymes, higher activity per enzyme and cheaper...

I put in a request for Nutra to carry, btw...
    Thanks!, I'll look into it.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.37%

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    I seem like I always have diarreaha at least once a day... BUT I do eat a grapefruit in the morning, and that's MURDER on cleaning you out Case in point, I need to isolate what could be causing it. I consume 300g of protein daily from meals alone, not counting pre/intra workout powders and BCAAs, or Liver Tabs.
    Ive been looking fo ways to cut all pill binders. I think it's helping. And don't take any mgnesium supplements with low bioavailability.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.01%

Logically speaking, I think that if you were to eat outside of "normal", it would seem beneficial to supplement with digestive enzymes. For example, consuming larger meals than normal, or meals that were higher in fat. I have no scientific backing on that but it seems logical to me.
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.17%

Do you use gms?
    Not for a few years... only Veg. Glycerine on upper body days; but my symptoms persist every day, in varying degrees of severity. I do notice my stools are much more solid on days I don't have grapefruit (which seems to be a natural laxative).
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.17%

Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    Ive been looking fo ways to cut all pill binders. I think it's helping. And don't take any mgnesium supplements with low bioavailability.
    Interesting, why Magnesium and also why the low bio-availability concern? I too wish I could cut all binders in my daily supplement ritual (such a waste)!
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I would say digestive enzymes and well as systemic are a great staple.
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.19%

ive used them before, i liked em they help keep bloating down and probiotics/yogurt are good too, digestion is the most important part of being healthy i feel
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  267 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.09%

Quote Originally Posted by fadi View Post
    Can't speak for everyone. I do have digestion problems, so enzymes helps me digest better. I like Ginger root too because it is one of very few substances that speed up gastric emptying.
    There are things you will never feel if you are healthy, so you will always question the reason behind taking them. And you most likely do not need them if healthy. But if you have digestiive problems like I do, certain things help a lot. Pineapples, apples, ginger root, and digestive enzymes. However, I don take them when I am not having digestive problems.
    Do you take Ginger root in supplement form, and if so, do you take it befor or after a meal?

Also to thread contributors, whats the consensus for best brand/version of enzymes?
  10. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Just speaking for myself,

when I take Orange TRIad (multi that includes digestive enzymes) with or without meals, I do not get heart burn - especially after a large meal. I eat alot of large meals since I'm bulking.

The days I miss or skip Orange TRIad unintentionally, I get heart burn.

Thats just my .02. Seems like they're worth it to me
  11. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by spimp187 View Post
    Logically speaking, I think that if you were to eat outside of "normal", it would seem beneficial to supplement with digestive enzymes. For example, consuming larger meals than normal, or meals that were higher in fat. I have no scientific backing on that but it seems logical to me.
    Bingo!
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.58%

Not sure if this is OT or not!!?!

Is there something that works for beans? BeanO and GasX = useless
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.59%

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Not sure if this is OT or not!!?!

Is there something that works for beans? BeanO and GasX = useless

Not a rep and only speaking from experience: The bromelain and ginger in OT definitely help with protein breakdown and moving things through the GI quickly, respectively. I think MSM and Bilberry play a role as well. Strangely, the Bromelain is listed in the "flex support" rather than digestive on the bottle but trust me, it plays a role. Bromelain=meat tenderizer.

I will also echo RenegadeRows statement that it is the only one I can take on an empty stomach without heartburn or vitamin burps.

Lastly, I gets no beanfarts when I take digest platinum. It digests different types of fiber/carbs/proteins/etc.
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.11%

sorry outstanding for the hijack

but you boys might need something to help with digestion after participating in this...

YOKED UP! The Official AnabolicMinds Egg Eating Contest. VIDEO CONTEST!!!
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  15. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.17%

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    sorry outstanding for the hijack

but you boys might need something to help with digestion after participating in this...

YOKED UP! The Official AnabolicMinds Egg Eating Contest. VIDEO CONTEST!!!
    Hijacking approved

Also, something else slightly off-topic, does any use or see the value in using once or twice a year, a nice (internal digestive tract) cleanser?
  16. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.17%

Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    I would say digestive enzymes and well as systemic are a great staple.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    ive used them before, i liked em they help keep bloating down and probiotics/yogurt are good too, digestion is the most important part of being healthy i feel
    Thanks guys, agreed!

GREAT thread because of all of you!
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.58%

Thanks - now who makes "platinum" lolol

Lastly, I gets no beanfarts when I take digest platinum. It digests different types of fiber/carbs/proteins/etc.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.59%

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Thanks - now who makes "platinum" lolol
    Now makes "digest platinum". Hate to sound like a broken record but anyone with digestive issues should really give them a try. None of the other products mentioned in this thread come even close on the actives. Some people may not need this product though especially if their current ones are working as these are a lil pricier.
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.58%

Thx ccn!
  20. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.44%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I will throw my thoughts into the mix.

ccnAbolic- do you have any form of ulcer? Betaine HCL is contraindicated in those who have ulcerative tissues and can cause extreme pain. If you do have ulcerative tissue there is a doctor that has studied fresh white cabbage juice's role in stomach ulcers. The patients had complete healing from stomach ulcers and hospital bed time was less than a quarter of the time than it was for those treated with traditional anti-ulcer medications. The 'vitamin U' is the active responsible and I can attest for it's potency.

For those who are healthy I highly recommend the HCL test that Charles Poliquin has written about. There was a rebuttal written from a GI doctor which was featured on TNation but the results that people with poor digestion have seen is enough for me to believe in it (myself included).

As far as I am aware there is no negative feedback loop for digestive enzymes (protease, lipase etc) but the HCL supplementation can be used to replace the deficit from low levels and taper the supplements off as your own production increases. Gentian root is supposedly good for this as are many bitter herbs. If anyone knows more about feedback loops with supplemental enzymes I would love to hear it.

Regarding gas from beans. I remember reading notes from a nutrition seminar where there was a genuine study on flatulence from eating a certain type of bean. As far as I remember participants were fed a certain dose of pulses per day and all flatulence seemed to stop at the 6 week mark. My memory on it is very vague as I only read cliff notes and can't remember what type of bean(s) was used.

Outstanding- I am a huge fan of intestinal cleansing. I have experimented with a few of these, including colonic hydrotherapy and have had varying levels of success. I used to use laxatives before photoshoots to relieve any bloating caused by constipation. I am confident that it makes a difference if you suffer from it. Psyllium husks are extremely good but start at a low dose as they absorb water and can cause further discomfort and constipation if dosed too highly too quickly.

Probiotics seem to improve regularity caused by dysbiosis but probiotic supplements are very hit and miss. A lot of them don't even specify the genus or species. Saccharomyces Boulardii have been studied for their ability to their ability to reduce diarrhoea when taken multiple times per day.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.59%

bdcc, I do not have ulcers. I have been skewered like a roasted pig on multiple occasions by the GI doc.
    I have GERD and a hiatal hernia. As far as HCL, I think it splits down the middle. I believe based on experience and what I've read, that some people do have low stomach acid and can benefit from HCL. Those people see results where other meds/supplements fail and sing the praises of it.

Poloquin's suggestion of doing a test is a good idea though. I just don't like the way some other sites claim it's the cure-all for stomach problems when, in fact, some people simply produce too much acid and won't benefit from HCL. For me, it was not good. Same for spearmint. While it is great for eso****eal sparms, it is terrible for heartburn, yet included in many heartburn remedies.

So, it goes something like this: I have a hiatal hernia which allows stomach acid into my eso****us and causes irritation of the LES. Betaine aggravated this condition. In addition, I produce too much stomach acid, which further aggravates things. Unfortunately, I am stuck with taking a PPI daily. Beleive me, I have tried to get off of them with no success. It's not just the rebound effect either, I just have a condition that necessitates them. In another thread, someone had gone to the ER and been prescribed PPI's for what sounded like a LES irritation. I advised them to run it for two weeks and get the heck off them asap or they might get stuck on them for life. Unfortunately, I feel doctors stick people on these things indefinitely all too often.

So, just wanted you to see the path I've taken with this because I believe it is very important for people to experiment and find out what works for them as well as not believe everything their doctor or homeopath tells them. Everyone is different and trial and error is the key.

Fortunately, I have been able to cut my PPI dose in half by including enzymes, probiotics, and ginger into my diet. The key for me has been to get it out of my stomach and into the small intestine asap and the aforementioned supps help. In addition, adding certain acidinc fruits (which once digested become alkalizing fruits) helps move things along as well...
  22. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.17%

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    Outstanding- I am a huge fan of intestinal cleansing. I have experimented with a few of these, including colonic hydrotherapy and have had varying levels of success. I used to use laxatives before photoshoots to relieve any bloating caused by constipation. I am confident that it makes a difference if you suffer from it. Psyllium husks are extremely good but start at a low dose as they absorb water and can cause further discomfort and constipation if dosed too highly too quickly.
    I have had this happen before, to the point I swore off psyllium husks and just went straight for another fiber product that included soluble fiber.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.92%

Just started taking Primal Defense. I need to increase my good bacteria in my small intestine, as I may have a Candida infection.

I would notice clearer skin and less dryness when I ate a lot of yogurt. Never made the connection. Makes sense now.

For me I think I'll always take probiotics now.
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I don't know how I missed this thread!?!

Breifly read thru the posts (will re read in a moment)

I do not believe I seen Acidophilus listed? I've been supplementing with Acidophilus for almost a year and boy oh boy of I don't take it for a few days I feel like complete aS$!

Ok I'll be reading...
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.98%

Ill watch so what r the top since alot were mentioned, I'm constantly bloated I might pick some up. How do u guys dose them , one with breakfast?
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.42%

I tried Now Super Enzymes and they worked okay. Very cheap. I have lots of digestive issues so it was coupled with align pro-biotic. I noticed a less bloating feeling if I dose some before a heavy meal like Pizza.
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.98%

I found some probiotics at home ill give them a go
  28. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.44%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jasen View Post
    Ill watch so what r the top since alot were mentioned, I'm constantly bloated I might pick some up. How do u guys dose them , one with breakfast?
    Enzymes are very different depending on the brand. Typically I would stick with what the bottle says to be safe.

Logic would point to taking them with any meal where you would need digestive support. I used to take them with all high protein solid meals. Alternatively you can add in something that is naturally high in enzymes as well. Some people use apple cider vinegar.

Before you start experimenting I would double check that your enzyme does/doesn't contain Betaine HCL. If it does you would want to be aware of the dosage and not take it at random dosages.
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.17%

so what brand of enzymes do people feel to be high quality?
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.98%

I tool some probiotic complex yesterday, huge stomach pain. Ill try papaye and bromelin next
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.59%

Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    so what brand of enzymes do people feel to be high quality?
    NOW Digest Platinum and Garden of Life Omega-Zyme Ultra are the best of the best and are plant-based but are expensive. Now Super Enzymes are a cheap alternative but the Betaine can irritate you if you have erosions, ulcers, etc. Both are very high in Protease and Lipase.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.7%

when i was a child i had digestive problems and almost died. until i was 20 yrs. of age i weighed 125 lbs.,once i started eating right and taking the right supps i gained weight and was on the right track. at about the age of 49 i started having SEVERE pain in the chest and abdomen. after some research i began to use Wobenzym N ,one and a half hour before meals, and Daily Essential Enzymes by Source Naturals. this has proven to help me immensely.

Similar Forum Threads

1. digestive enzymes
    By mkretz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM
  2. Digestive Enzymes
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM
  3. Digestive enzymes
    By jsp0785 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7