Certified/Licensed Nutrition guru's around here

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where did you get your certification/license?

Is there a reputable program that trumps the others?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Come on. Where are all you smart mofo's? LOL

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
The most valued and credible accredidation is to become a Registered Dietician. Each state has different requisites, so you would want to check with your state. For instance, in the state I am in, you have to have a minimum of a Bachelors degree and 2 years of interning under another R.D. in a dietary program (can be at a commercial company).

There are other certs, such as ISSA and a couple others....but in most states you have to actually be a R.D. to give any nutritional or supplement advice or programs. Otherwise it is actually against the law. Most folke don't know that.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WOW...did not know that! :(

There are other certs, such as ISSA and a couple others....but in most states you have to actually be a R.D. to give any nutritional or supplement advice or programs. Otherwise it is actually against the law. Most folke don't know that.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

personally i have my bachelors form California State University in Nutrition and Food and ust got my NESTA cert for working here at Max Muscle, and id say neither has taught me more than researching online over the past two years,

in comparing the two certification i do have, my Bachelors TRUMPS NESTA, Nesta was like taking 3-5class meetings of my Metabolism Course i took my sophmore year.....

highly suggest a good program that is SPECIFIC to what oyu want to do, ISSA is one of the toughest certification companies in the industry from what ive heard, they also have a specific course for sports nutrition if that is your interest....

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The most valued and credible accredidation is to become a Registered Dietician. Each state has different requisites, so you would want to check with your state. For instance, in the state I am in, you have to have a minimum of a Bachelors degree and 2 years of interning under another R.D. in a dietary program (can be at a commercial company).

i heard that from a professor of mine, but have not found any legislation on this yet, have you been able to find any?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks JN

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established

Personally, I am currently in pursuit of my Bachelor's of kinesiology and have just about finished getting my NSCA CPT (need to renew my CPR & First Aid). Upon completion of my bachelor's, I will be working towards the NSCA CSCS, and am also contemplating continuing my education in sports nutrition.

darthdarek84

darthdarek84

Awards
personally i have my bachelors form California State University in Nutrition and Food and ust got my NESTA cert for working here at Max Muscle, and id say neither has taught me more than researching online over the past two years,

in comparing the two certification i do have, my Bachelors TRUMPS NESTA, Nesta was like taking 3-5class meetings of my Metabolism Course i took my sophmore year.....

highly suggest a good program that is SPECIFIC to what oyu want to do, ISSA is one of the toughest certification companies in the industry from what ive heard, they also have a specific course for sports nutrition if that is your interest....
Good info

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone else?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I've learned the most just reading and picking up lots of books. RD is the top of the line credential though.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
LOL aint that the truth ;)

Registered Dietician?
RD = Registered Dietician...you would be correct. ;)

Something I will say here...if you have the patience and enough common sense all you need to do is research and you can learn all you need to know about nutrition.

The main reason why there are RD's though....there are too many lazy a$$ people who do not want to have to do their own research and do the work for themselves. Just telling it like it is...

Cheers!:cheers:

-Sean-

Primordial Performance

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You just need experience too. What I've learned is the more you learn it actually becomes more simple. A lot is about lifestyle changes and not wasting your money on things that make little to no difference.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The main reason why there are RD's though....there are too many lazy a$$ people who do not want to have to do their own research and do the work for themselves. Just telling it like it is...
It's a fair statement. I think down the road we have to ask ourselves how much is our time worth. If it takes a solid 10-15 hours to even understand nutritional principles, and you make say $200/hr. It's more worth your time to pay someone $500 and tutor you for an hour and spoon feed you :) Not saying i'm going to be that lazy, but there's a place for everyone. It ma

rehabman28

Awards
Please tell me you people aren't serious about R.D. being good. Read anything by Dr. John Berardi or Dr. Jonny Bowden and they both bash R.D.s All they do is push the food guide pyramid, are anti-supplement, and think that athletes need a max of 20 percent of their diet to be protein. Get your CCN, certified clinical nutritionist, or FDN, functional diagnostic nutrition. The one R.D. that I have found to be good told me that her CCN was ten times harder than the R.D.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
It's a fair statement. I think down the road we have to ask ourselves how much is our time worth. If it takes a solid 10-15 hours to even understand nutritional principles, and you make say $200/hr. It's more worth your time to pay someone $500 and tutor you for an hour and spoon feed you :) Not saying i'm going to be that lazy, but there's a place for everyone. It ma
IF you make $200 an hour. Hell even a $100 an hour!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the help fellas.

The only caveat here would be that IF you had an RD or certification of some sort, you could actually turn it into a career.

Without something to substantiate your knowledge (license/certification), no one will hire you based on your sales pitch that you've spend countless hours researching things for yourself ;)

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
for career definitely go RD..... my nutrition bachelors isnt getting me anywhere man...... trust me go RD, but its a lot more school and work

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thats what I was afraid of LOLOLOL

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One more question......(thanks fellas)

For jobs and careers in Nutrition, etc......does a Masters in Nutrition (no RD) trump an RD + Nutrition certifications,etc

sash1987

Awards
I don't know, regarding the whole you HAVE to have a degree etc. A lot of very highly regarded nutritionists in bb world aren't necessarily the most qualified in the strictest meaning of the term, however they are more than qualified through experience....

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One more question......(thanks fellas)

For jobs and careers in Nutrition, etc......does a Masters in Nutrition (no RD) trump an RD + Nutrition certifications,etc
everything i have seen outside in the real world requires RD..... its basically a legal thing.... but its usually required
I don't know, regarding the whole you HAVE to have a degree etc. A lot of very highly regarded nutritionists in bb world aren't necessarily the most qualified in the strictest meaning of the term, however they are more than qualified through experience....
this is true but it takes much much longer to make a career and $ if you go the "fitness" world or bodybuilding world route, its all about marketing yourself, the people you know and such.....
the real world will appreciate a degree much more