Thinking about giving up Uni-Liver

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Im thinking about switching to just protein shakes. I'v like Uni-Liver, but Im considering a diet without so many pill binders. If I eat a big red meat meal a few nights a week, do you think my iron levels will drop form where they are now? Will the red meat be enough to max me out on iron?

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Whole food is king as you should continuously hear an to be relying on liver tabs as your source is a bit lackluster if this is what you are doing.

I've been using Uni-Liver for years as "part" of my diet and supp lineup. About 6pills a day, 2 with 3 meals that don't have whey or beef in them.

Not only is red meat good for a source of iron, but also creatine! Nothing beats steak and potatoes post workout ;)

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Whole food is king as you should continuously hear an to be relying on liver tabs as your source is a bit lackluster if this is what you are doing.

I've been using Uni-Liver for years as "part" of my diet and supp lineup. About 6pills a day, 2 with 3 meals that don't have whey or beef in them.

Not only is red meat good for a source of iron, but also creatine! Nothing beats steak and potatoes post workout ;)
Oh trust me, I won't be relying on either as a main sorce of protein. What I am asking is if a few good sized red met meals a week can max me out on iron, or f Uni-Liver still gives the iron benefit to us steak lovers.

ntornado

Awards
Out of interest, why do you want extra Iron? I have read a few times that the only people who need extra Iron are menstruating women and if you are anemic.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Out of interest, why do you want extra Iron? I have read a few times that the only people who need extra Iron are menstruating women and if you are anemic.
Im wondering if it helps with performance and my natural desire to have a few extra red blood cells. What you just said kind of teers me in the direction of thinking I can do without it.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been thinking about taking only 2 liver tabs between meals instead of 6 and adding in extra BCAA.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally prefer Ultra 40's. Both have merit. However, I have read that you should take 1 tab per 10lbs of bodyweight.

Additionally, I heard that the formula of uniliver has changed

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally prefer Ultra 40's. Both have merit. However, I have read that you should take 1 tab per 10lbs of bodyweight.

Additionally, I heard that the formula of uniliver has changed
1 tab for 10lbs of body weight, how many times a day?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1 tab for 10lbs of body weight, how many times a day?
I break mine upover the course of 5-6 times, typically in installments of 4. I will be honest, the new formula of Uniliver is killing me. I just ordered more Ultra 40's, far superior

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I keep taking more and more of these tabs. Lately I've been taking 14 after my workout.

MrDeadlift

Awards
I love Uni-liver, 2-4 tabs with after meals. and 3 tabs with my post.

I usually consume 1-2 tubs, take a break then back again. Uni-liver is best when you are on a a low calorie diet from my experience. If you are not on a calorie strict diet and consume enough red meat, vegetables high in iron like spinach and cauliflower then you can cut the Uni-liver when you are consuming less. I also cook chicken or beef or lamb liver at least 1-2 times a month for many health benefits.

AVP

Awards
The excess of iron is harmful. Can cause liver damage. It will raise transferrin and ferritin too, and high ferritin will make you get old earlier.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
The excess of iron is harmful. Can cause liver damage. It will raise transferrin and ferritin too, and high ferritin will make you get old earlier.
lets open up a debate. Ive heard before that the heme iron in liver tab isn't the same stuff that people typically overdose on. Is this just a marketing claim?

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lets open up a debate. Ive heard before that the heme iron in liver tab isn't the same stuff that people typically overdose on. Is this just a marketing claim?
I take 40-60 liver tabs a day and I get blood work every 3-4 months. The only time my doc ever was concerned about my blood was after I started using CEE. I stopped the CEE and the liver and kidneys went back to normal. Now i do not know if my iron levels show on the blood work but I tell ya what I can get hit in the face with a baseball bat and I won't bruise! I may bleed but I do not bruise for NOTHING lol

Edit: as far as Uni liver I no longer trust anything made by universal nutrition and will never order again. Will be switching to Beverly's liver tabs.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
How much more liver dose the Beverly product have by the way?

giantbrandon

Awards
  • Established
they changed the formula in the uni liver i havent brought many since as the protein amount per serve also went down

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I will be honest, the new formula of Uniliver is killing me. I just ordered more Ultra 40's, far superior
This is why I think Im gonna be done with liver tabs when my bottle runs out. It's to many pills. I figure my digestive tract is probably lined with pill binders at this point.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
they changed the formula in the uni liver i havent brought many since as the protein amount per serve also went down
Plus the price of the Uni's has basically doubled... It's to the point where it's almost the same cost as Beverly. It used to be $12 for 500, <$10 when on sale. Now I see it's $22...

I've given up on the Uni's after the reformulation. They used to give me great energy during times of caloric deficit and kept me from feeling lethargic. The large amounts of B vitamins was great! For that, they were a god send. But now, I notice nothing but bad gas. So, they were cut from my list of staples.

I'm giving the ultra 40s a shot when I start dialing back on the cals in a few weeks. See if they give me that feeling back... I hope they do!!

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to take 40-60 of these a day but the last few weeks I use maybe 10 a day. I'm taking in close to 40 grams BCAA and 400 grams of protein from whole food.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I used to take 5-6 between meals, so around 20-30 a day at the high range of things. Like I said, used to wake me up and feel great not long after eating them. Then the reformulation and high prices came along and with those went all the benefits I noticed from taking them. Pissed me off!!! One of the best bang for buck supplements there were IMO.

Now, like you. I just have been drinking more BCAAs. But still want that good old liver feeling back. Hopefully Beverly can provide it!

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I used to take 5-6 between meals, so around 20-30 a day at the high range of things. Like I said, used to wake me up and feel great not long after eating them. Then the reformulation and high prices came along and with those went all the benefits I noticed from taking them. Pissed me off!!! One of the best bang for buck supplements there were IMO.

Now, like you. I just have been drinking more BCAAs. But still want that good old liver feeling back. Hopefully Beverly can provide it!
If you could, after a month or so of use shoot me a PM letting me know what u think?

If you remember, lol

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
If you could, after a month or so of use shoot me a PM letting me know what u think?

If you remember, lol
Yo! So I remembered! lol

It's been two weeks with the ultra 40s. So far I get that feel good energy right after taking these(4 inbetween meals). Just what I loved about the Uni-livers. A plus is the gas isn't nearly as bad with these either!!

I could tell pretty much right away the difference after taking them. but wanted to wait and see if it held up. So far it has. Everytime after taking these my body seems to respond well and I just feel good. That's about all I can say about them. Just like I remembered.

I think I'm putting these back in my staple list :yup:

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yo! So I remembered! lol

It's been two weeks with the ultra 40s. So far I get that feel good energy right after taking these(4 inbetween meals). Just what I loved about the Uni-livers. A plus is the gas isn't nearly as bad with these either!!

I could tell pretty much right away the difference after taking them. but wanted to wait and see if it held up. So far it has. Everytime after taking these my body seems to respond well and I just feel good. That's about all I can say about them. Just like I remembered.

I think I'm putting these back in my staple list :yup:
Thanks man maybe I'll give them a try!

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
The amount of liver tabs to get a useful Amino acid dose is very large (notice the amino levels they give refer to 100g, not to the recommended number of tabs per serving). Supplementing with amino powder is much easier, affordable and worthwhile

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Sure, if it were an amino only supplement...

Besides, I take BCAA powder regardless.