nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glucose Disposal Agent?

I feel it is...but I think Cinnulin is the extract for it if you dont want to eat lots of cinnamon

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ahaha! Well, Cinnamon contains the trace mineral Chromium, that is said to have blood regulation properties.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys feel it compares to ALA?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you guys feel it compares to ALA?
Oh ALA is far superior in many-many ways. Don't even get me started! ahahaha ALA is my single favorite supplement! Great stuff, well Na-R-ALA

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Oh ALA is far superior in many-many ways. Don't even get me started! ahahaha ALA is my single favorite supplement! Great stuff, well Na-R-ALA
I wouldn't mind seeing you "get started" :)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't mind seeing you "get started" :)
If I had a dollar for every time someone said that! lol.

Ok, well alpha lipoic acid would be classified as a vitamin, but not produced naturally in the body. It is a fat and water soluble powerful anti-oxidant, that recycles CoQ-10 in the body, along with other anti-oxidants.

It mimics insulin in the body keeping sensitivity to receptors regulated. When taken with carbohydrate meals, it can prevent storage of fats, by driving glucose into muscle cells, similar to how insulin shuttles nutrients.

Taken with creatine, and fast digesting proteins, is taking advantage of what's considered 'nutrient timing'. It can effectively enhance absorption of these, as well as carbohydrates, in terms... keeping blood glucose levels stable.

This is just what can remember off the top of my head, I'm sure I forgot some stuff though. :)

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
According to some studies, cinnamon may improve blood glucose and cholesterol levels in people with Type 2 diabetes. The results of a study from 2003 in Pakistan showed lower levels of fasting glucose, triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and total cholesterol after 40 days with levels continuing to drop for 20 days after that.

and Cinnulin PF is the trademark name for Cinnamomum burmannii (The proprietary extraction process helps filter out toxins found in whole cinnamon)

or Cinnamon Bark Extract (5%,10%,20% Cinnamon Polyphenols & 10%,20% Cinnamon Flavones)
I used both and works very effective (no bloat and no water retention from big complex carbs meals)

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't say I've ever read any outstanding studies, however from personal use I know that cinnamon is the real deal(for me anyway).

I notice significantly enhanced fat loss when I incorporate a LOT of cinnamon in my diet. actually thinking abotu capping straight cinnamon

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cinnamon improves insulin sensitivity and alters the body composition in an animal model of the metabolic syndrome.

Couturier K, Batandier C, Awada M, Hininger-Favier I, Canini F, Anderson RA, Leverve X, Roussel AM.

LBFA/INSERM 884, Joseph Fourier University, BP53, Grenoble cedex 9, France.
Abstract

Polyphenols from cinnamon (CN) have been described recently as insulin sensitizers and antioxidants but their effects on the glucose/insulin system in vivo have not been totally investigated. The aim of this study was to determine the effects of CN on insulin resistance and body composition, using an animal model of the metabolic syndrome, the high fat/high fructose (HF/HF) fed rat. Four groups of 22 male Wistar rats were fed for 12 weeks with: (i) (HF/HF) diet to induce insulin resistance, (ii) HF/HF diet containing 20 g cinnamon/kg of diet (HF/HF + CN), (iii) Control diet (C) and (iv) Control diet containing 20 g cinnamon/kg of diet (C + CN). Data from hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamps showed a significant decrease of the glucose infusion rates in rats fed the HF/HF diet. Addition of cinnamon to the HF/HF diet increased the glucose infusion rates to those of the control rats. The HF/HF diet induced a reduction in pancreas weight which was prevented in HF/HF+CN group (p<0.01). Mesenteric white fat accumulation was observed in HF/HF rats vs. control rats (p<0.01). This deleterious effect was alleviated when cinnamon was added to the diet. In summary, these results suggest that in animals fed a high fat/high fructose diet to induce insulin resistance, CN alters body composition in association with improved insulin sensitivity.

not too shabby

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Meta-analysis questions cinnamon's diabetes benefits

1/11/2008 - Despite numerous studies championing the role of cinnamon for diabetes management, a new meta-analysis has raised questions as to the potential benefits of the supplements.

A meta-analysis of five randomised placebo-controlled trials involving 282 subjects found no significant benefits of cinnamon supplement on glycated haemoglobin (A1C), fasting blood glucose (FBG), or other lipid parameters.

And even when the researchers, from the University of Connecticut and Hartford Hospital, looked at various sub-groups, no apparent benefits were observed.

"Cinnamon does not appear to improve A1C, FBG, or lipid parameters in patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes," wrote lead author William Baker in the journal Diabetes Care.

An estimated 19 million people are affected by diabetes in the EU 25, equal to four per cent of the total population. This figure is projected to increase to 26 million by 2030.

In the US, there are over 20 million people with diabetes, equal to seven per cent of the population. The total costs are thought to be as much as $132 billion, with $92 billion being direct costs from medication, according to 2002 American Diabetes Association figures.

The new meta-analysis challenges other studies that reported potential benefits of the spice. A previous study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture reported in 2003 (Diabetes Care, Vol. 26, pp. 3215-3218) that just 1g of the spice per day reduced blood glucose levels, as well as triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol in a small group of people with type 2 diabetes.

A placebo-controlled, double-blind study published in 2006 (Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol. 25, pp. 144-150) reported that cinnamon and a cinnamon extract (Cinnulin PF) could reduce blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR).

Furthermore, a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (June 2007, Vol. 85, pp. 1552-1556) reported that cinnamon could lead to slower emptying of the stomach and reduce the rise in blood sugar after eating.

However, there have been toxicity concerns over consistent consumption or high doses of whole cinnamon or fat-soluble extracts.

Indeed, two federal institutes in Germany recently called for cinnamon dietary supplements carrying health claims to reduce blood sugar and help control type-2 diabetes should be classed as 'medicinal products', and regulated as such.

The joint announcement from the Federal Institute for Medicinal Products and MedicalDevices (BfArM) and the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) states their opinion that products marketed with a diabetes health claim should be classified as medicinal products and required to seek marketing authorisation.

The concerns came about from differing coumarin levels in some products, said to cause liver damage and inflammation when higher doses are taken over a longer period by sensitive individuals.

Source: Diabetes Care
January 2008, Volume 31, Pages 41-43, doi: 10.2337/dc07-1711
"Effect of cinnamon on Glucose Control and Lipid Parameters"
Authors: W.L. Baker, G. Gutierrez-Williams, C.M. White, J. Kluger, C.I. Coleman

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
me likey cinnamon...on pretty much everything.
It's an aquired taste I guess. I have been putting it in my coffee grounds, mixed with a green tea bag. Every now and then to mix it up, but I do appreciate my straight black coffee too though.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I notice the difference when taking cinnamon at the 3g pre-carbs level, but not less than that.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I notice the difference when taking cinnamon at the 3g pre-carbs level, but not less than that.
Did you use the cinnamon before eat carbs? Hmmmm i used with food (carbs) when i finish 15min later i feel ultra hungry again but no bloat :food:

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I better go buy more cinnamon toast crunch for post-workout :D
Not that I would know...BUT

cinnamon toast crunch + skin milk = insulin users best friend.

Think about it... 5-10iu insulin pwo LOVES cinnamon toast crunch.

Here is the nutritional panel

INGREDIENTS:
Whole wheat, sugar, rice flour, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, fructose, maltodextrin, dextrose, salt, calcium carbonate, cinnamon, soy lecithin, trisodium phosphate, caramel and annatto extract color, zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), a B vitamin (niacinamide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), vitamin A (palmitate), natural flavor, a B vitain (folic acid), nonfat milk, vitamin B12, vitamin D. Freshness preserved by BHT.
chock full of healthy/muscle building whole grains, sugar to get your simple carbs in(so you dont go hypo) and a good amount of cinnamon, phophates, vitamins/minerals.

aint nothing better than cinnamon toast crunch to get swole with legal compounds :)

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
Make sure you buy the right cinammon though .. the ones that are usually sold are very effective

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
around 15 minutes before eating the carbs seems to work :)
Yea, even with ALA, it's sugested to take it 20 mins or so prior to meal.