Krill Oil

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now that the RPN supply is really drying up, what brand(s) would others recommend? I've looked at the labels and the NOW is about as close as it gets as far as the amounts go.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never tried anything but the rpn brand...but im curious if other brands smell as bad.

I think jarrow makes a reasonably priced krill.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From what I've read, all Krill smells really bad.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
i just get my omegas from walmart. i think its by Nature-made? but it contains Omega 3,6,9 fish, flaxseed, and borage oils.

krill is the same as fish but you dont need as much of it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i just get my omegas from walmart. i think its by Nature-made? but it contains Omega 3,6,9 fish, flaxseed, and borage oils.

krill is the same as fish but you dont need as much of it.
Krill is a different beast from plain fish oil. It's like saying whey and whole milk proteins are the same. Yes, milk contains whey, but it is not the same amino acid profile.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
is this any good?

Antarctic Krill Oil

Amount per 1 softgel serving:
Krill Oil: 500mg
Phospholipids: 200mg
Total omega-3: 110mg
EPA: 60mg
DHA: 28mg
Astaxanthin: 40mcg

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is this any good?

Antarctic Krill Oil

Amount per 1 softgel serving:
Krill Oil: 500mg
Phospholipids: 200mg
Total omega-3: 110mg
EPA: 60mg
DHA: 28mg
Astaxanthin: 40mcg
Low on the astaxanthin. Is that the Swanson's label?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have used krill but heard that harvesting it was very damaging to the ecosystem. Worth a thought for the environmentally conscious.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
I have used krill but heard that harvesting it was very damaging to the ecosystem. Worth a thought for the environmentally conscious.
Please elaborate a bit for us

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was literally all I heard. It was a snippet from somebody who owns a supplement line who wouldn't produce a krill product.

After doing a quick Google search for you here is a paragraph from omega-research.com.

"Sustainability
The increased fishing of krill has lead to grassroots protests and a call to action by The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Scientists, fishery groups, and federal environmental organizations like the NOAA have all voiced concerns about the potential impact of increased krill fishing. Due to these concerns, the fishing of krill has been banned on the West Coast of the US, and has been strictly limited in places like Norway and Antarctica1. In contrast, fish oil supplements are predominantly produced from sardines and anchovies, species that are currently in abundant supply, fished well below mandated limits, and are considered ideal species for sustainability, given their short reproductive cycles. A study published in the journal, Science, by marine conservation biologists also suggested that fishing should concentrate more on these pelagic species, in order to reduce the dependence on fish species currently threatened by overfishing2."

I hope that helps. :)

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
another oil

hey rodja, speaking of swansons, they have their sea buckthorn oil on buy one get one right now, claims to be high in omega 7, an overlooked omega important in connective tissue repair/maintenance, just a heads up

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey rodja, speaking of swansons, they have their sea buckthorn oil on buy one get one right now, claims to be high in omega 7, an overlooked omega important in connective tissue repair/maintenance, just a heads up
I saw that today, but I'd need to do some more research on Omega-7.

methane

Awards
Swanson sells Krill Oil capsules that are very reasonably priced. That capsules do smell fishy thou- but I haven't had any fish burps issues with them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Swanson sells Krill Oil capsules that are very reasonably priced. That capsules do smell fishy thou- but I haven't had any fish burps issues with them.
The Jarrow formula looks to be the best one out there right now.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Krill is a different beast from plain fish oil. It's like saying whey and whole milk proteins are the same. Yes, milk contains whey, but it is not the same amino acid profile.
and the milk sugar (lactose) no good

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
I vote swanson. Swanson uses superba which is sustainably harvested. Good stuff and cheap with coupons....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I vote swanson. Swanson uses superba which is sustainably harvested. Good stuff....
It's the low astaxanthin that keeps me from getting the Swanson's version.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We're just waiting on labels. For those that are curious, we also switched over to the Superba brand as well.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i use mega red by schiff. not cheap but doesnt stink either

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is the profile going to change as well?
The Superba is comparable to the Neptune. I will post it up on the Genomyx forum as soon as my art comes back.

cosmosis

Awards
For the ill informed amongst us, what are the benefits of Krill Oil over standard Fish Oil/Omega 3's? Also what would a comparable dosage be? I currently take 4 caps of Nutraplanets which turns out to be about 1200 mg combined DHA/EPA.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For the ill informed amongst us, what are the benefits of Krill Oil over standard Fish Oil/Omega 3's? Also what would a comparable dosage be? I currently take 4 caps of Nutraplanets which turns out to be about 1200 mg combined DHA/EPA.
the main benefit is both the astaxanthin content, which is a wicked potent antioxidant, and the phospholipid forms of the EPA/DHA, which have shown to have DRAMATIC and vastly superior effects lowering both triglycerides and LDL cholesterol.

Perfect for use on cycle/Post Cycle at slightly elevated dosages (1.5 grams/day) then for long term use at regular dosage (1 gram/day).

It also helps maintain cellular membrane fluidity, which greatly assists in any membrane-bound receptor function (AR's, etc.)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010 Nov 18. [Epub ahead of print]
Potential health-promoting effects of astaxanthin: A high-value carotenoid mostly from microalgae.

Yuan JP, Peng J, Yin K, Wang JH.

Guangdong Provincial Key Laboratory of Marine Resources and Coastal Engineering, School of Marine Sciences, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, P. R. China.
Abstract

The ketocarotenoid astaxanthin can be found in the microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis, Chlorella zofingiensis, and Chlorococcum sp., and the red yeast Phaffia rhodozyma. The microalga H. pluvialis has the highest capacity to accumulate astaxanthin up to 4-5% of cell dry weight. Astaxanthin has been attributed with extraordinary potential for protecting the organism against a wide range of diseases, and has considerable potential and promising applications in human health. Numerous studies have shown that astaxanthin has potential health-promoting effects in the prevention and treatment of various diseases, such as cancers, chronic inflammatory diseases, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, diabetic nephropathy, cardiovascular diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, liver diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, eye diseases, skin diseases, exercise-induced fatigue, male infertility, and HgCl(2)-induced acute renal failure. In this article, the currently available scientific literature regarding the most significant activities of astaxanthin is reviewed.

PMID: 21089055 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the genomyx line is looking better every day

I used the RPN Krill oil for most of the spring and really found it to improve mood as well as simply giving me the feeling of being well covered on the general health end of my supplementation.

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
I just checked my bottle of superba from swanson. The stats are different than the website. It contains 40mcg of astaxanthin per softgel. This is from a bottle I purchased last week. It reads:

500mg Superba Krill Oil
200mg Phospholipids
110mg Total Omega
60mg EPA
27.5 DHA
40mcg Astaxanthin

cosmosis

Awards
the main benefit is both the astaxanthin content, which is a wicked potent antioxidant, and the phospholipid forms of the EPA/DHA, which have shown to have DRAMATIC and vastly superior effects lowering both triglycerides and LDL cholesterol.

Perfect for use on cycle/Post Cycle at slightly elevated dosages (1.5 grams/day) then for long term use at regular dosage (1 gram/day).

It also helps maintain cellular membrane fluidity, which greatly assists in any membrane-bound receptor function (AR's, etc.)
Thanks for that dsade. Looking forward to trying this out, maybe as a staple. Always enjoyed the innovation of RPN and now Genomyx.