CASEIN PROTEIN???

bud suniga

Awards
what is the best casein out there in everybodys mind???

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Monster v

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Pure Casein by Optimum. Also, milk is comprised of an 80% Casein content naturally.

RAHHH

Awards
  • Established
trueP i think but genrally i dont like it. i like whey protein even at night.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
eggs, a SPRINKLE of cheese and a glass of milk before bed :)

yes i know eggs are not casein but this is a good pre bed snack

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
Was shopping at Walmart and picked up some of the Muscle Tech stuff. Not my favorite supp company and it seemed expensive, but I wanted it then, so I bought it.

Next time I need to plan ahead!

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
I use ON vanilla cream flavor. Mixes well for Cassein. Taste is good. You can get it cheap if you get 4lb containers. Last a long time if you're only using it at night.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After checking into this one and viewing the profile, I don't think this would be a good choice for a casein. What's the whole point of a casein protein? Slow release and extended absorption. Used for extended periods without food intake to supply a continual flow of amino acids and reduce the catabolic effects of sleeping or going for several hours without food intake. This is from the same web site posted for MAP (my emphasis added for point):

"MAP delivers amino acids quickly and fully. It's the most efficient way to get them to your muscles, short of injecting.

No other protein or amino acid absorbs better than MAP. (1) The amino acids in MAP are carried right through the stomach walls without any digestion required.

Tiny Peptides -- A Clear Advantage

MAP is 100% pure pre-digested casein protein. This means that the casein protein has been broken down into small peptides of two or three amino acids.

The amino acids in MAP absorb better than amino acids in single form."

So they claim they created a casein protein with extremely small amino acid peptide chains that are absorbed so well and so quickly that they even bypass digestion and are "carried right through the stomach walls". This last part is physiologically impossible since very few substances can be absorbed through the stomach walls such as aspirin and alcohol. The stomach doesn't not absorb nutrients and proteins, the small intestines do. The stomach is merely a holding and mixing chamber which breaks food down to be absorbed.

Enough on that though and on to the point. Assuming all things claimed are true, why would anybody want to take a casein if it moves so rapidly through your system that an hour or two later, it's no longer available for nutrient absorption? That means that the rest of the night (still a good 6 or 7 hours) you will go without any amino acid release to help stave off catabolism and limit recovery. This is, of course, assuming that it is taken as a casein where prolonged AA acid release is desired such as pre-bed or long periods before your next meal.

Casein, such as micellar casein is known and used for it's slow break down and thus the prolonged and perpetual release of amino acids for several hours. That sounds much more effective to me. Some companies such as XF add isolate to their casein (i.e. UP 2.0) to provide some essential AA that can be used much sooner since it takes awhile for the casein to break down, thus providing a more balanced and synergistic flow of peptides.

Monster v
from Protein Factory's site:
"Monster V is now the King of Slow Release Proteins. Our brand new Monster V Protein has a molecule size twice the size of casein, therefore taking it twice as long to digest. Monster V Protein is made in the U.S.A. using the Cohn V fractionation process. This process results in a completely 100% undenatured protein, jam packed with bioactive peptides and subfractions. Use Monster V for anti-catabolic, sustained release protein or a night time protein."

This makes more sense to me, using a casein for its prolonged digestion and sustained AA release.

I use ON vanilla cream flavor. Mixes well for Cassein. Taste is good. You can get it cheap if you get 4lb containers. Last a long time if you're only using it at night.
That's how I do it. I love UP 2.0 but it gets pricey. I have ON's 100% micellar casein, chocolate supreme, and add some isolate to it as well. Tends to last pretty good. I'm not too keen on their chocolate peanut butter and the raspberry smoothie wasn't my favorite flavor.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^We aren't claiming anything, it actually does what it says. As far as a slow digesting casein, then no MAP would not be the correct choice. Obviously I should have understood the thread better. However, as far as pre/intra/post workout it is a great option, as well as servings spread out through the day.

Trutein would be my choice

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
Man I have tried a lot of stuff and I would say MuscleFeast straight up. It's cheap, pure, and it works. Check'em out!

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
Man I have tried a lot of stuff and I would say MuscleFeast straight up. It's cheap, pure, and it works. Check'em out!
Good price from a trustworthy source but I thought it was kinda gritty. The casein, that is. Maybe that is what pure micellar casein is like though and the optimum stuff is processed more. The whey was good.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
Good price from a trustworthy source but I thought it was kinda gritty. The casein, that is. Maybe that is what pure micellar casein is like though and the optimum stuff is processed more. The whey was good.
They are a little. But they are straight protein and nothing else. That's one way there keeping there prices so low. When I'm on bulk I add 2-3 servings of PB and some sugar free chocolate syrup and it's all good to go. Also the more fatty milk you use the better the taste gets ;)

Broncos 2010

Awards
I take a shake of it before bedtime. If by mixing you mean combining both of them together then no, if you mean take whey at one time then taking casein at another time, then yes.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I take a shake of it before bedtime. If by mixing you mean combining both of them together then no, if you mean take whey at one time then taking casein at another time, then yes.
Thanks... so 2 scoops, around 40g prior to falling asleep? Excellent.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
If my training is late I'll do whey with 3x scoops of casein+2 servings of skim milk and I'm good to go ;)

I really liked Monster milk too for Post workout but that **** is WAY too expensive!

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
I havent used Casein before, but based on what I've read, I'm going to grab some Trutein and try that out.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
^^We aren't claiming anything, it actually does what it says. As far as a slow digesting casein, then no MAP would not be the correct choice. Obviously I should have understood the thread better. However, as far as pre/intra/post workout it is a great option, as well as servings spread out through the day.

Trutein would be my choice
Prime example right here of a rep who is just looking to get paid. Really man, the more I read this thread the more it pisses me off. The TITLE says CASEIN PROTEIN.. you come in here pushing your overpriced crap to the guy... then when your called out.. you change your tune.

You should have understood the thread better? How the hell did you misinterpret "CASEIN PROTEIN?" "what is the best casein out there in everybodys mind???"

If you repped a company for me, you would be fired. 1) You gave completely wrong advise.. then 2) you make yourself look like a complete idiot by trying to cover your tracks.

PP really screwed up by having you on their team.. I hope you dont make habits of this sort of thing.

onlyone

Awards
Myofusion is not really a casein protein but doesn't it count as pre bed protein? it has milk isolate, isn't that the same as casein, right? Is it good for pre bed?

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Myo gives me night sweats if I drink it too close to bed, I try not to.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd use Optimums 100 percent Casein product. The company has been around a long time and has a good reputation. Trutein?. They are a fairly new company and although the product looks good, I would wait till they are more established. If they are still around next year, than try out there product. Supplement companies are a dime a dozen and there are a ton of fly by nights poping up everyday.

Grebeck

Grebeck

Awards
Has anyone tried N2matrix? Any reviews if so? Thanks!

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried N2matrix? Any reviews if so? Thanks!
I was able to sample all the Need 2 Whey flavors this week, and they were delicious! The smell alone of the chocolate fudge was enticing and like eating an entire meal through my nostrils.

"Nostrils" is an odd word to read spelled out.

Anyway, Matrix was offered as a freebie a while ago when Russian was on Super Human Radio, sounds delicious, but I've never had any.

marinecorpman

Awards
ON casein is great. Casein was recommended for me before bed since I want to retain all that protein I'm taking throughout the day.