"Food Safety Accountability Act" reply

muscl3s

muscl3s

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thank you for writing to express your opposition to the "Food Safety Accountability Act of 2010" (S. 3767). I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

I strongly support S. 3767, and I am a cosponsor of this legislation. I believe that all food producers should be required to produce food that is safe to eat and does not harm consumers. Producers who knowingly violate food safety procedures and distribute tainted food to the public should be held accountable for their actions. The "Food Safety Accountability Act" will protect consumers by authorizing criminal penalties when a company or individual knowingly adulterates or misbrands food that is intended to be sold.

I understand you have concerns regarding this legislation and parties who might unknowingly contaminate food. The Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member, amended S. 3767 so that its criminal penalties are limited to persons who knowingly adulterate or misbrand food knowingly with conscious or reckless disregard of a risk of death or serious bodily injury.

On September 23, 2010, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed S. 3767. Please know that I will keep your concerns in mind should the full Senate consider this legislation.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or comments, please contact my office in Washington, D.C. at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.