Whey protein question and my bulking diet - please comment

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
I finished a 10 week diet 2 weeks ago, having dropped 12 kilos (26 pounds), and now I want to increase my lean muscle mass.

I'm still eating 6-7 times a day, only now I'm including between 150-200 carbs a day (150-170 from wheat tortillas and brown rice, the rest from my protein supplement). Any advice on how many calories I should be consuming in total?

I was considering perhaps trying a different brand of protein supplement, so I'd really value any input you guys can give me on it's contents. I'd leaning towards a high-protein and low carb one because I've noticed that the carbs in protein shakes are mostly from sugars (unlike the wheat tortillas and brow rice I eat).

So, I was thinking of a diet that went something like this:

1 protein shake when waking up - 200 calories

5 solid meals every 2-2,5 hours apart, with 30 grams of protein and carbs respectively - 450 calories each meal

1 protein shake before going to sleep

In between I will munch on 50-100 grams of almonds for the healthy fats - 300-600 calories

All in all I'm looking at between 3,000 and 3,300 calories on my rest days

On my training days I'll add a recovery shake immediately after lifting.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would add oatmeal and some pb to your morning shake for extra cals and natural fats, carbs and fiber..Even add pb to your evening shake if you have one...Works great.

So u doing a high carb, high protien and low fat diet?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I finished a 10 week diet 2 weeks ago, having dropped 12 kilos (26 pounds), and now I want to increase my lean muscle mass.

I'm still eating 6-7 times a day, only now I'm including between 150-200 carbs a day (150-170 from wheat tortillas and brown rice, the rest from my protein supplement). Any advice on how many calories I should be consuming in total?

I was considering perhaps trying a different brand of protein supplement, so I'd really value any input you guys can give me on it's contents. I'd leaning towards a high-protein and low carb one because I've noticed that the carbs in protein shakes are mostly from sugars (unlike the wheat tortillas and brow rice I eat).

So, I was thinking of a diet that went something like this:

1 protein shake when waking up - 200 calories

5 solid meals every 2-2,5 hours apart, with 30 grams of protein and carbs respectively - 450 calories each meal

1 protein shake before going to sleep

In between I will munch on 50-100 grams of almonds for the healthy fats - 300-600 calories

All in all I'm looking at between 3,000 and 3,300 calories on my rest days

On my training days I'll add a recovery shake immediately after lifting.
You need to figure out what your Maintenance calories are, and then to gain muscle mass, consume MORE than Maintenance - the general recommendation is ~500 calories above Maintenance, but you can start at ~200 calories above and work your way up, based on your weekly results.

Your nutrition should include more than carbohydrates and protein, and you should definitely be getting more protein from FOOD - protein shakes should be used more for convenience or to add to a meal if you're quite heavy to make up your protein requirements; they should never be used as your staple protein source.

There are many protein powders that contain little - if no - sugars. Check out Gaspari Nutrition, LG Sciences, and Muscle Pharm.

I recommend reading the articles at Gaining Muscle for more information re nutrition, supplementation, and training for making lean gains.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
There's a lot of science there Rosie, I hope I can keep up! LOL

I think I got the basics of it though, ie what training to do and how to split up the protein-carb-fat to calorie ratio.

Thanks ;-)

By the way, a question about chicken. After I cook it, it shrinks considerably in mass AND weight. Should I use the cooked or raw weight to estimate the protein and calorie values?

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Listen to rosie she is very wise and gives excellent advise..