fish oil

mikaveli06

mikaveli06

Awards
  • Established
I am taking trutein which has omega 3s from flaxseed and orange triad as my multi. I think im gonna try the oximega fish oil that goes with the orange triad but i just spent a bunch on a big order and want to know if a brand name is really any better than a bottle of fish oils from say walmart or such.

ntornado

Awards
In most cases with fish oil quality you get what you pay for.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used the Oximega fish oil and didn't "notice" any difference in the 1g fish oil I bought generic. I take 2g w/ breakfast and 2g w/ dinner. I've never "noticed" anything from fish oil period, though.

ntornado

Awards
I used the Oximega fish oil and didn't "notice" any difference in the 1g fish oil I bought generic. I take 2g w/ breakfast and 2g w/ dinner. I've never "noticed" anything from fish oil period, though.
There is a reason Whole Foods doesn't sell "generic" fish oils and Walmart doesn't sell Nordic Naturals. The quality is different and just because you might not feel the difference doesn't mean the generic brands are 100% safe and free of impurities than could harm you over a long period of time.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. I like to use NOW brand for fish oils.

terminator

terminator

Awards
The main differences in fish oil are the levels and ratios of DHA and EPA, the type of fish used and the contaminants.

I'm not a huge cod liver fish oil person, because I'm not a big fan of high Retinol or Vitamin A levels or companies that put too much retinol back into the refined product, because this can interfere with the Vitamin D benefits.

I've said this time and time again, but I truly believe that Nordic Naturals, Carlson Labs and Metagenics (who all get there fish oil sources from the same distributor in Norway) have the best (lowest mercury, PCBs, lead, etc) fish oil of any company. Recently Barleans has started purchasing some of their fish oil from the Norway distributor as well... and you do get what you pay for!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As it's been said, do not buy cheap fish oil to save a few dollars.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I have been using barleans, and love it. I take it with my meals, and will not switch to another brand. Its worth it.

terminator

terminator

Awards
I have been using barleans, and love it. I take it with my meals, and will not switch to another brand. Its worth it.
They definitely have the best tasting! The lemon tastes so good!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
want to know if a brand name is really any better than a bottle of fish oils from say walmart.
http://www.controlledlabs.com/pdf/P2070_cert. of analysis total pcb.pdf

We are at only 29% of the limit for California (the strictest PCB enforcement in the USA) per serving (with its high potency you get a lot of dha/epa per serving thereby making the amount of PCB per mg of epa/dha ingested even lower in orange oximega fish oil compared to most other formulas). we are at 1.3% of the limit set by FDA.

For Reference:
FDA upper limit is 2000 ng/g
upper limit for California is 90 ng/g
CRN and WHO are also much higher limits compared to California

also, most fish (salmon, talapia, tuna, etc) in the food chain has MUCH higher levels of PCB than most fish oils on the market and lower dha/epa per gram.
Good luck! Let me know if there's anything else your wondering about :D

What are PCBs?

//

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19