Good supp for depression

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
Ok so my dad has some depression, mood swings, anxiety, etc. so I was going to get him some 5-HTP and L-Theanine to see if that would help. Could anyone give me a nice mood boosting, depression fighting stack before my dad has to end up on those side effect ridden SSRI's?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Tell him to stop all caffeine. It throws of the seratonin dopamine ratio. Also, I don't know if you wanna tell your dad to smoke weed, but I really think a low dose where people can't really tell that your high seems to take the edge off.

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
he doesn't drink caffeine man and he wouldnt smoke weed

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
if the depression is real, depending on the severity, self medicating can be very dangerous

aj power

aj power

Awards
  • Established
Tell him to stop all caffeine. It throws of the seratonin dopamine ratio. Also, I don't know if you wanna tell your dad to smoke weed, but I really think a low dose where people can't really tell that your high seems to take the edge off.
Dude not sure about using weed for depression I think the long term disadvantage well and truly outweighs the short term chill out!!!

Stopping caffeine however is a good idea.

My personal experience when I went on TRT stopped all caffeine and alcohol I had a massive improvement to my depression and anxiety. I do however still love my pre-work drinks :( and yes I get anxiety from them ... I just have to keep the dose on the lower side.

aj power

aj power

Awards
  • Established
he doesn't drink caffeine man and he wouldnt smoke weed
Suggest a hormone check ... could be the natural lowering of testosterone as he ages. Lots of clinics that specialize in this and there are plenty of people giving there stories of how their life improved after having hormones optimized.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
St. johns warts. If your looking for OTC

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would go see a doctor. period. If he doesn't want to be on an SSRI then have him tell the doctor that and discuss other options.

This is just not something I would self medicate. May need to try and get the route of the depression as well instead of simply taking a pill. No hate just real advice.

wolfe14

Awards
  • Established
Do ppl report deppression while on Test??? Or do you feel better? I'm asking because i want to do a 12 week run soon, (will be my first) but don't want to experience any deppression or mood swings...how do you generally feel on test? Ive done a few cycles of SD loved it but felt kinda down and unconfident toward the end of cycle and moody as HELL...

dstojak3

Awards
I would go see a doctor. period. If he doesn't want to be on an SSRI then have him tell the doctor that and discuss other options.

This is just not something I would self medicate. May need to try and get the route of the depression as well instead of simply taking a pill. No hate just real advice.
my thoughts exactly man

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do ppl report deppression while on Test??? Or do you feel better? I'm asking because i want to do a 12 week run soon, (will be my first) but don't want to experience any deppression or mood swings...how do you generally feel on test? Ive done a few cycles of SD loved it but felt kinda down and unconfident toward the end of cycle and moody as HELL...
They are different beasts altogether, Most people feel much better on in confidence, alpha male etc.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Dude not sure about using weed for depression I think the long term disadvantage well and truly outweighs the short term chill out!!!
More positive research on weed comes out every year. Ive even heard that it may be a neuro protective. I think most stoners get ate up on other drugs. I know some old guys who have been getting "weed high" on a regular basis for years and their smart enough. I personally think a few times a week breaks up the tension. If the worlds best swimmer can do it in moderation...

Having said that, he already said that his dad won't do it, so I didn't mean to turn it into a weed forum.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
if the depression is real, depending on the severity, self medicating can be very dangerous
Great comment. How severe is it? Is he gonna kill himself if we don't nip this in the bud quickly? Sorry for the bluntness.

If we can avoid doctors(They suck these days) tht would be good, but we have to know the variables.

wolfe14

Awards
  • Established
They are different beasts altogether, Most people feel much better on in confidence, alpha male etc.
so you are saying most feel great on Test??? no rage, mood swings or deppression like you hear the freakin media always say? that is really my only concern with doing test. again ive been doing orals for almost 2 yrs but some say they are worse for you than test ever will be..is this correct?

StimAthelete

Awards

I agree with this.
Also, both my mom and I have had bouts with depression (hers worse than mine) and we both failed horribly trying to self-medicate. If it works for him though, more power to your dad.
Personally, Prozac practically saved my life. I was on it for a year, had few side effects, and it allowed me to see outside the wall of my depression. Not all SSRI's are bad, especially if you find the right one for you. Just throwing that in there.

Best wishes to you.

GoDeep

Awards
I'd take 6grms of inositol a day. this vitamin has been shown to be as effective as the SSRI drugs in the treatment of depression. due diligence

pedro321

Awards
Go to a doctor.

Nothing works as well as meds.

Ive tried most of the stuff they used in studies, by themselves and combined and nothing has even come close to medication, it has helped a bit, but again nothing like SSRI.

RAHHH

Awards
  • Established
Ok so my dad has some depression, mood swings, anxiety, etc. so I was going to get him some 5-HTP and L-Theanine to see if that would help. Could anyone give me a nice mood boosting, depression fighting stack before my dad has to end up on those side effect ridden SSRI's?
I must say i love Kava Kava!
helps me sleep and put you in good mood during the day.
relaxing.
dont take to much unless going to bed or you will feel TOOO relaxed.
also I wouldent use it before working out.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
this^^^^^^^^^^^

and

this^^^^^^^^^

GodofWine

GodofWine

Awards
For a test to see if it is serotonin related, I'd try 50mg 5-Htp in the morning and at night for a week, IF it is serotonin depletion causing his moods, this will quickly alleviatei it. Then he can make the decision to see a doc for an SSRI, or use OTC stuff (5htp plus St Johns Wort is a very effective combo from personal experience, but even SJW gave me some 'wood' issues.)

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a GP visit is in order, as suggested, but does he get sufficient vitamin D3? Do you live in a hot area with plenty sunshine?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Like mentioned if its severe, he might want to see a doc.

Depending on whats going on, SJW might help. Its acts like an SSRI. I've been in an agitated, anxious, bit depressive state recently. I started a stack of L-Tryptophan - 5HTP.

Also I'm a big fan of Theanine. I wouldn't say it would be effective for depression, more for taking the edge off.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The two things that have been proven effective I cannot believe have not been mentioned; they being Folic Acid taken with SAM-e. My GF has mild depression and the SAM-e has worked wonders for her mood and confidence. She takes 800 mgs a day, not cheap, but for her without health insurance and no desire to take anti-psychotic drugs, those two work nearly as well. Plus, SAM-e is excellent at detoxifying the liver and even better for joint pain. I highly suggest you see a doctor regardless but ask about those two, they are more and more being recommended for a non-prescription route.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
St. johns warts. If your looking for OTC
this ^^^
The two things that have been proven effective I cannot believe have not been mentioned; they being Folic Acid taken with SAM-e. My GF has mild depression and the SAM-e has worked wonders for her mood and confidence. She takes 800 mgs a day, not cheap, but for her without health insurance and no desire to take anti-psychotic drugs, those two work nearly as well. Plus, SAM-e is excellent at detoxifying the liver and even better for joint pain. I highly suggest you see a doctor regardless but ask about those two, they are more and more being recommended for a non-prescription route.
and this ^^^

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The 3 biggies are:
St Johns Wort - either Kira or Perika brands.
Fish Oil
SAMe

Also could consider deprenyl 5mg ED, although it's not strictly OTC.

Seeing a doctor depends IMO on it depends on how bad it is for your dad. A psychiatrist is just going to prescribe something like Paxil, Wellbutrin, or Effexor. These have a less than 50% success rate and have lots of side-effects. So in this case, try the natural route first.

Of course if it is severe, then yes, he should go see a doctor. But if it's mild, then honestly seeing a dr and getting prescribed the pharmacy will do more harm than good.

A lot of it could be psychological too. Midlife crisis and all that. In that case talk therapy helps and if his insurance covers a psychologist, then he should check that route out.

terminator

terminator

Awards
L-theanine would probably be better for anxiety.

I would start with fish oil. It wouldn't hurt and contains EFAs that everyone needs anyway. Research published in the Online Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, suggested fish oil may be effective at treating people suffering from depression.

It would be a positive option for your dad and he could ask his healthcare practitoner about it.

Brands I can vouch for on the quality would be Carlson Labs, Nordic Naturals, Metagenics and I think Barleans has some pretty decent fish oil as well.

This is what my son and I take - http://www.kidsvitaminshop.com/Kids-Very-Finest-Fish-Oil-Lemon-200mL.html

1 tsp would be very close to what was used in the study above. Yes, I know it says "Kids" but I like the quality, potency and taste :yumyum: and so does my son.

Also, as Robboe pointed out, plenty of Vitamin D3!

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the feedback, I think I'm going to have him try 5-HTP to rule out a seratonin issue before anything else. Then if that doesn't work I'll suggest a hormone panel, etc. Climbing the ladder until the right solution is found...