Tip: Eliminate/Alleviate Fish Burps

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

I have GERD that I take medication for. I noticed no matter what I did, I still got fish burps and even heartburn from any fish oil, including enteric coated.

Started using Oximega and that helped but not completely. It occured to me that since I virtually eliminate acid from my stomach, that the enteric coating was probably dissolving in my stomach anyway.

I read that if you don't produce enough acid or take medications for acid reflux, it can prevent certain foods from properly breaking down. I started taking the Oximega between meals, along with some orange juice or even my dose of DAA and problem solved. I suppose it just keeps the enteric coating intact until it gets to the small intestine.

Just wanted to share since I'm sure there are others struggling with this.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
That's interesting, at least with me Oximega got rid of the fish burps.

Nice tip though! Thanks for the info bro!

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
That's interesting, at least with me Oximega got rid of the fish burps.

Nice tip though! Thanks for the info bro!
It's really not that bad with OM (on third bottle), but since my medicine creates a low acid environment in my stomach, I believe it is breaking down too soon unless I drink something acidic. This is the longest I have ever taken fish oil, thanks to CL.

terminator

terminator

Awards
I had fish burps for a long time as well...I switched to high quality fish oil and it went away. Burping can be a sign of rancid fish oil. It's amazing to me that companies would encapsulate products after they're already rancid.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Simple solution, Krill oil has MUCH MORE bio-available due to its readily conversion phospholipid, so no fish burps with it. Give it a try, I guarentee you will like it and it also does not interfere with muscle swell effect as do fish oil. Not to mention it has more noticeable effect on mood, and joints.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
It's really not that bad with OM (on third bottle), but since my medicine creates a low acid environment in my stomach, I believe it is breaking down too soon unless I drink something acidic. This is the longest I have ever taken fish oil, thanks to CL.
That is great news man, I'm glad our product could turn one more person onto Fish oil for that long :D

naturalguy

naturalguy

Universal Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
I had fish burps for a long time as well...I switched to high quality fish oil and it went away. Burping can be a sign of rancid fish oil. It's amazing to me that companies would encapsulate products after they're already rancid.
High quality fish oil does not need to be enteric coated and will not cause burps.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
High quality fish oil does not need to be enteric coated and will not cause burps.
Well, let me expand. All fish oil makes me burp/regurgitate to some degree( Getting kind of gross now) :), regardless of quality. It's not just the fact that it is fish oil. Animal fats (as in animalia, not the brand) in general give me issues. I have a hiatal hernia and GERD. So, the regurgitation is not exclusive to fish oil in my case. I was just applying what I did to alleviate this issue with fish oil. Since lots of people have/get frequent heartburn, especially when having to eat loads of food all the time, I was just sharing what I found.

However, I do agree that quality is a factor. Since using the OxiMega, it is much more bearable and there is no rancid flavor like I used to get. The store brands were killin me.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've never had a burping problem when I just dose up to 1tbsp of the actual liquid oil (uncapped). With caps, no matter the brand, I get the burps.

terminator

terminator

Awards
I agree and I never said that they need to be enteric coated. I think using enteric coating for fish oil is just a method to cover-up rancid fish oil.

I said that I can't believe that some companies will encapsulate a fish oil after it has been rancid.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
I agree and I never said that they need to be enteric coated. I think using enteric coating for fish oil is just a method to cover-up rancid fish oil.

I said that I can't believe that some companies will encapsulate a fish oil after it has been rancid.
I agree that many companbies do use it to deceive but also think, in my case, an enteric coating is necessary. Also, I have tasted OM and it does not seem/aste rancid to me. My son squeezes it into his mouth because he actually enjoys the taste. So I have no worries about quality from it.

terminator

terminator

Awards
I agree that many companbies do use it to deceive but also think, in my case, an enteric coating is necessary. Also, I have tasted OM and it does not seem/aste rancid to me. My son squeezes it into his mouth because he actually enjoys the taste. So I have no worries about quality from it.
I believe enteric coating serves a purpose too; to bypass stomach acid when you don't want the nutrients denatured, i.e. systemic enzymes, ATP, L-Glutathione (reduced), L-Carnosine, Reveratrol, etc.

I don't see the need for fish oils to be enteric coating, unless it is to cover up poor quality, rancid oils.

Thunder1

Awards
You look @ the expiration dates on fish oils & some are 2 yrs. I just freeze mine.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I use Barleans fish oil and cod liver oil, in liquid form. No fishy taste at all, no fishy burps.