Best hydration method?

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
Hows it goin guys. Just thought id bring this up but has anyone tried Pedialyte for hydration? Had a crazy workout in some crazy heat yesterday and i snagged a liter bottle from CVS. Only downer is that its 4 bucks a liter... Chugged about the whole bottle and man was i zoomin all day.

I was also going to ask if there are some bulk nutrients i can buy to possibly make my own hydrating solution? Thanks guys

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IV saline drip. Works every time. It's like magic.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
What's wrong with gatorade? Too much sugar?

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
I just feel like a stayed hydrated for a longer period of time when i drank to pedialyte as compared to just water or gatorade. Although i am drinking water aswell just added in the pedialyte

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
The body can only hydrate ate the rate of about 1 liter per hour.
Pedialyte is awesome stuff but I do about 8 oz of pedialyte followed by 32 ounces of water every 1 and a half until I get to a gallon of water/pedialyte mix after I do a weight cut.
Usually though gatorade works very well, but I like the pedialyte more also due to less sugar.

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
Pedialyte is awesome stuff but I do about 8 oz of pedialyte followed by 32 ounces of water every 1 and a half until I get to a gallon of water/pedialyte mix after I do a weight cut.
Usually though gatorade works very well, but I like the pedialyte more also due to less sugar.
I see... So its awesome to REhydrate, but what about preventing dehydration during intense physical activity? Just water?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
get Naked Coconut Water.

over 600mg potassium

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
VERY nice... i will consider. just looked on Amazon and price is pretty nicee
There are other coconut waters too, but most of the rest add sugar. Naked is right out of the coconut. My local natural food store sells em for $1.50 each, its perfect after some cardio or just a hard bit of working outside (I'm in Florida)

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
VERY nice... i will consider. just looked on Amazon and price is pretty nicee
walmart has it. :)

I'm gonna go ahead and say water, too. Drink it throughout the day, not all at once, and you shouldn't have problems!
:cheers:

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not even close! the body can absorb a liter every 10-20 minutes, when needed. I was in the desert in the military, for months, in 120+ degree heat. We had mandatory water call, and we had to assemble, and drink a liter each, every 15 minutes by the timer, supervised. It was that big an issue. And I'd only piss 2-3 times a day. My shirt was white down the front and back from salt.

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/articles/archive/hydration.shtml

When exercising, you should be pounding down water on an even more disciplined schedule. Since the human body can only absorb so much water at one time, the rate of ingestion should be matched, as closely as possible, to the rate of absorption. Most of us have been classified for years into a rate-of-absorption range of one-quarter liter per one-quarter hour. Recent research indicated some of us can do better, absorbing as much as one-quarter liter in 10 minutes. That means, for maximum efficiency and well-being, drink about one-quarter liter of water every 10 to 15 minutes during periods of intense exercise. And cool water gets absorbed faster than warm water. In some conditions you will lose water faster than you can replace it. In those conditions, rest breaks, during which fluid is consumed, become important.

SBT

SBT

Awards
i also say keep your water in during the day, but i've also used pedialyte after a couple of shows when i competed.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Coconut water eh, does it have a taste to it?
Does it have a laxative effect in high doses?

That'd be good to drink occasionally I think, but nothing beats poland spring!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i drink powerade zero,

but if your looking to be in keto you have to be careful with artificial sweeteners because they can pull you out of keto.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Coconut water eh, does it have a taste to it?
Does it have a laxative effect in high doses?

That'd be good to drink occasionally I think, but nothing beats poland spring!
Taste: coconut/vanilla, mildly sweet. No laxative effect.

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
Not even close! the body can absorb a liter every 10-20 minutes, when needed. I was in the desert in the military, for months, in 120+ degree heat. We had mandatory water call, and we had to assemble, and drink a liter each, every 15 minutes by the timer, supervised. It was that big an issue. And I'd only piss 2-3 times a day. My shirt was white down the front and back from salt.

WMI - Article Archives: Hydration
Interesting. The fact's that I got I read in the grapplers guide to nutrition. I may be wrong though.
This was taken directly from the article you quoted though.

"When exercising, you should be pounding down water on an even more disciplined schedule. Since the human body can only absorb so much water at one time, the rate of ingestion should be matched, as closely as possible, to the rate of absorption. Most of us have been classified for years into a rate-of-absorption range of one-quarter liter per one-quarter hour. Recent research indicated some of us can do better, absorbing as much as one-quarter liter in 10 minutes. That means, for maximum efficiency and well-being, drink about one-quarter liter of water every 10 to 15 minutes during periods of intense exercise. And cool water gets absorbed faster than warm water. In some conditions you will lose water faster than you can replace it. In those conditions, rest breaks, during which fluid is consumed, become important."

Which again goes back to the saying where the body can only absorb about 1 liter per hour. While some may do better its a pretty safe bet. Ever pound a liter of water and then feel a little sick after?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No. I can comfortably pound a liter and go running. Again, I drank 4 liters an hour for the 6 hottest hours out of the day for long periods. That's why I posted that. It's pretty much very old info. I've experience FAR higher rates of hydration, many times, and seen 300 other guys do the same. If you think about it, it makes sense. You can easily lose more than a liter an hour in exercise. Ultra-marathoners run 120 miles+, sometimes in 130 degree heat. The body is way more efficient and well-evolved* than to allow a vastly greater rate of dehydration than hydration. If not, people would bonk and die far more regularly in any event over 2 hours.

*or made, your choice ;)

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought pedialyte was an underdosed form of gatorade?

Mike

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
I thought pedialyte was an underdosed form of gatorade?

Mike
Pedialyte and gatorade are the same but different. I prefer pedialyte due to less sugar and I actually like the taste a little more. Gatorade is way to sweet for me. Sometimes I cut it doing turning a 32 oz into a 64 by adding water.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
I use Smart Water by Glaceau. Vapor distilled water with added electrolytes. Works great for me and its super cheap if you have a Mrs.Greens near you.

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
I use Smart Water by Glaceau. Vapor distilled water with added electrolytes. Works great for me and its super cheap if you have a Mrs.Greens near you.
I really like smart water as well. Only problem I can think of with it and I may be wrong here is will the distilled water help flush salt from your system?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Forgive me if I am wrong as Gatorade isn't particularly popular over here but don't most of their products still contain HFCS?

crankywanker

Awards
Back in the Fire Academy training days we used to mix powdered gatorade with a gallon of water. it was very diluted but still provided the right amount. i did nothing but cut during the entire period and stayed very hydrated as I was in the "baked potato" suit for about 8-10 hours out of the day for 5 days in a row.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Forgive me if I am wrong as Gatorade isn't particularly popular over here but don't most of their products still contain HFCS?
Absolutely, unequivocally not. Powerade does. Gatorade is actually a very sound formula.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you sure? This is from the Gatorade website;

"Does Gatorade include High Fructose Corn Syrup? Why or Why not?
Currently, G2 does not contain HFCS, and the remaining products from The Gatorade Company will soon be following suit. We are changing the source of carbohydrate in Gatorade Thirst Quencher in 2010 to a sucrose-dextrose blend, which still serves the important functional purpose of providing energy to fuel athletes’ working muscles during activity. What’s important to note is that from a scientific efficacy standpoint nothing will change, and our research shows the taste with the sucrose-dextrose blend is actually preferred by many athletes."

Whether the changes are implemented already or not, stock of at least some of their line is still available to buy that contains it.