Carnitine needs carbohydrates for Fat burning?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, just to throw this out there....

If Carnitine is not an efficiently recycled molecule, then administration of Carnitine which boosts fat burning without carbs present would not raise muscle (stored) carnitine levels at all. It would simply perform its function (transporting LCFA into mitochondria) then be excreted at a certain rate.

However, normally in the absense of carbs you would see a depletion of muscle carnitine levels if not exogenously supplemented (thus preserving muscle carnitine.)

Wish I was more organized at the moment, but when I get back from the running errands I'll look this up further for you.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established

If Carnitine is not an efficiently recycled molecule, then administration of Carnitine which boosts fat burning without carbs present would not raise muscle (stored) carnitine levels at all. It would simply perform its function (transporting LCFA into mitochondria) then be excreted at a certain rate.

However, normally in the absense of carbs you would see a depletion of muscle carnitine levels if not exogenously supplemented (thus preserving muscle carnitine.)

Wish I was more organized at the moment, but when I get back from the running errands I'll look this up further for you.
Get On It!

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Thanks Matt.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established

en ingles por favor??

lol im just playing i get it. good post bro!

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Choline makes it even more effective

Choline, Carnitine, high glycemic carbs or insulin are the way to go.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established

LCFA?

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
So how much carbs need to be taken/ carnitine is useless with carbs?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

LCLT and PLCAR works in the same way too?

Carnitine plus a meal boosts post-workout testosterone uptake

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16826026

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about alcar or arginocarn? They are absorbed without the presence of carbs. Does the article apply to them or not?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about alcar or arginocarn? They are absorbed without the presence of carbs. Does the article apply to them or not?
Arginocarn is ACLAR+Arginine if i remember correct

but this sounds contradictory.

on Keto 5g of ALCAR first thing in the morning you feel a energy rush and super focused i love this effect!!!!
and another 5g before bed and you wins.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Megadeath, can you link me to the info on choline regarding carnitine. Thanks

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Megadeath, can you link me to the info on choline regarding carnitine. Thanks
Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale mentioned this in the article "The Nutritional Equivalent to Liposuction"

Choline and Carnitine – the Dynamic Duo for Fat Loss

Choline and carnitine are commonly used nutritional supplements, usually used alone or in combination and usually for the purposes of fat loss. Carnitine is essential for fatty acid transport and proper muscle function, and some studies have shown that carnitine supplementation improves exercise performance. Choline is a lipotropic agent that prevents deposition of fat in the liver. It is an essential nutrient for humans by giving cell membranes structural strength and providing structure to cell membranes and is involved in the signaling across this membrane as well as synthesis and release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Like carnitine, choline supplementation may also improve physical performance.

Choline is the major source of methyl-groups in the diet (one of choline’s metabolites, betaine, participates in the methylation of homocysteine to form methionine).

The possible synergistic interaction between carnitine and choline has been known for several years. A study on rats published a few years ago clearly showed that choline in combination with caffeine plus carnitine resulted in a significant conservation of carnitine and augmented exercise performance and promoted fatty acid oxidation as well as disposal in urine.

As well, the use of the three supplements resulted in two other beneficial effects, a decrease in blood triglycerides and an increase in the triglyceride content of skeletal muscles. Since muscle fat is used to supply energy to exercising muscles, and actually increases muscle size, much like glycogen, this is a whole different thing to increasing fat in subcutaneous skin and other fatty areas of the body. The increase in intramuscular fat also helps endurance and recovery and would be useful on any diet.

But there’s more to the story. A recent study has shown that choline and carnitine supplementation with or without exercise alters carnitine status, body fat and biochemical markers of fat oxidation in humans. In this study nineteen women were placed in three groups: 1) placebo, choline or carnitine preloading period of 1 wk followed by 2) supplementation with choline plus carnitine during wk 2-wk 3 and 3) all groups exercised in wk 3.

There were several interesting results of this study outlining the effects of choline, and choline plus carnitine supplementation. Without going into all the details the study showed that the choline-induced decrease in serum and urinary carnitine is buffered by carnitine preloading, and these supplements shift tissue partitioning of carnitine that favors fat mobilization, incomplete oxidation of fatty acids and disposal of their carbons in urine as acylcarnitines in humans.

Flushing out fat in the urine has another interesting and useful effect for those trying to lose body fat. Flushing out fat in the form of acylcarnitines acts as an osmotic diuretic and increases urine flow, in some people more than others. LipoFlush seems to have much more of a diuretic effect on people who are retaining fluid in the first place. It does not affect the serum electrolytes (I’ve checked serum levels of several electrolytes and minerals and found not change in the sodium levels, but improved levels of potassium, calcium and magnesium) does not dehydrate the body.

As such, LipoFlush, along with its effects on appetite and fat loss, may be effective in decreasing fluid retention, a problem often seen in people dieting. As well, LipoFlush is the ideal cutting or definition supplement for bodybuilders or anyone who wants to minimize bodyfat and not have their definition blurred by water retention.

For women there may also be an added benefit in that LipoFlush may be useful in relieving the symptoms of PMS. That’s because fluid retention can worsen the symptoms of the premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Women with severe symptoms may experience increased irritability and decreased ability to cope with everyday stresses during the premenstrual phase - they often compensate by eating more. In these women the weight gain is due to a combination of fluid retention and increased caloric intake.

You can minimize fluid retention by cutting down on salt intake - avoiding foods heavy in salt and use of the salt shaker, and in the more severe cases using medication such as prescription diuretics. However, LipoFlush, because of its diuretic like action, may naturally decrease fluid retention and improve symptoms.

The diuretic effect of LipoFlush is also easily controlled since it is dependent to some extent on fluid intake. Taking in more water (keep away from diet pops and other drinks that have salt in them) increases this diuretic effect while curtailing water intake decreases it.

The bottom line is that choline and carnitine supplementation increased fat loss by both increasing the breakdown and burning of body fat and, interestingly enough, actually flushing fat (in the form of acylcarnitines, which are actually chunks of fatty acids combined with carnitine) into the urine and out of the body. In this latter action it’s as close as you can get to being the nutritional supplement equivalent of liposuction. LipoFlush will literally flush the fat right out of your body.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used this in the past with Lecithin granules (the worst flavor ever) + liquid L-carnitine (not ALCAR) this combo works slow but works and you will see your fat simply disappear

years back i don`t know nothing about keto diets but hmmmmmm i will do some experiments later.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Where would you get choline and how much would you dose?

Edit nm - found how to get it. Lecithin granules. Could have read better lol. But how about dosage?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Choline, Carnitine, high glycemic carbs or insulin are the way to go.
YUP! Injectable L-carnitine is also the way to go 1g a day without carbs or insulin or 1g twice a week or so with high glycemic carbs or preferably 1iu insulin. The difference between the oral and injectable forms is night and day i LOVE the stuff.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Check out the synthetine write up on Synthetek's website, it's written by Datbtrue and it's the most indepth article on l-carnitine i've ever seen, covers carbohydrate and insulin use.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
YUP! Injectable L-carnitine is also the way to go 1g a day without carbs or insulin or 1g twice a week or so with high glycemic carbs or preferably 1iu insulin. The difference between the oral and injectable forms is night and day i LOVE the stuff.

Thanks! I am starting the Palumbo diet today. I have lots of inj L-Cart, but wasn't planning on using it, because I was thinking I might need the insulin surge. I will reconstitute with sterile water and see how it looks at a 1 day through and insulin pin.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! I am starting the Palumbo diet today. I have lots of inj L-Cart, but wasn't planning on using it, because I was thinking I might need the insulin surge. I will reconstitute with sterile water and see how it looks at a 1 day through and insulin pin.
I making for 1000mg/ml it's got some sting to it but nothing too bad.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I making for 1000mg/ml it's got some sting to it but nothing too bad.
Pretty potent indeed. What kind of results have you seen while using it? Do you "feel" anything ie. explosive energy? Do you combine with oral Choline as well?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Pretty potent indeed. What kind of results have you seen while using it? Do you "feel" anything ie. explosive energy? Do you combine with oral Choline as well?
I feel mentally sharper, lactic acid is buffered, better recovery from the gym, better insulin sensitivity for sure, fatloss and overall energy are up. It also helps upregulate androgen receptors. No i'm not using Choline i am going to pick up some humulin R and take iu post-workout with 1g l-carnitine 3 times a week.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel mentally sharper, lactic acid is buffered, better recovery from the gym, better insulin sensitivity for sure, fatloss and overall energy are up. It also helps upregulate androgen receptors. No i'm not using Choline i am going to pick up some humulin R and take iu post-workout with 1g l-carnitine 3 times a week.
Ok, I reconsituted my L-Cart and just inj 1 ml. At first a little sting, then a few min delay and OUCH! Very sharp pain in that area for about 30-45 seconds. Now its gone away. Could be the 1/2 ml of 99% alcohol I mixed with it maybe..don't know. Anyway, from now on, I will do 1.25 ml of l-Cart and .25 ml of Lidocaine. By the way, how many iu's of humlin R will u be taking post workout?