Fat loss - food before bed or bcaas?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Fat loss - food before bed or bcaas?

I once read a thread on dieting.. I can't remember where it was.. but it discussed a little bit on dieting and meals before bed..

I remember it said not to eat before bed.. and it had some other options, 1 was BCAAS..

Has anyone read something similar?????? Any info on this topic would be great.. because I find it hard to fit meals in and normally have a shake before bed, but if they say on a diet it's better not to east within 3 hours then just looking for options.

Thanks

*edit* posted on a diff forum too, really wanna find the thread or info i had read!

2. No meals before bed..I suggest 25-40g of cassien with some glutamine and at times peanut butter and u can add bcaa if you like as well. But def try to have ur last meal atleast 3hour before bed
    •   

3. Skip the shake in my opinion, it spikes insulin levels which u dont want as u lay down. Use BCAAS right before bed and upon waking, wait 20 minutes b4 u eat in the morning. Killer fat loss aide

4. Quote Originally Posted by halfhuman View Post
    No meals before bed..I suggest 25-40g of cassien with some glutamine and at times peanut butter and u can add bcaa if you like as well. But def try to have ur last meal atleast 3hour before bed
    Quote Originally Posted by PumpDogg View Post
    Skip the shake in my opinion, it spikes insulin levels which u dont want as u lay down. Use BCAAS right before bed and upon waking, wait 20 minutes b4 u eat in the morning. Killer fat loss aide
    Thanks guy's, It's just difficult.. I work nights.. so I wake up at 3-4pm.. eat a meal, hit gym.. get home around 7:30... eat a meal.. start work at 10:30... break at 12, break at 3... so it's hard to even fit 5 meals in.. im 96kgs.. i should be eating like 2000-2400 on a cut.. prob eating 1500... so i may just try fit some milk in the diet and tuna in oil....

I'll lay off the shakes before bed...and try just some bcaas... maybe i'll throw in a shake before I start work!

5. a Casein shake would be the best bet. even two cups of low carb milk (casein), both will give you a steady flow of aminos through out the night. Bcaa's go through digestion rapidly. A good timing for those are as soon as you wake up, and around your workouts.
  6. Never enough

I'm with bipole, casein shake, cottage cheese, tuna, chicken breast etc are all reasonable choices that will keep aminos in blood stream and not spike insulin levels. BCAAs are only anti-catabolic short term, theres evidence that without adding other protein within 1-2 hours after taking bcaas that protein oxidation is actually increased.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

7. So long as total calorie intake for the day is below what you expend, it doesn't matter long-term.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!

8. I usually take in a casein based shake, with a scoop of Fiberteq from VPX. It's worked out well thus far.

9. Quote Originally Posted by PumpDogg View Post
    Skip the shake in my opinion, it spikes insulin levels which u dont want as u lay down. Use BCAAS right before bed and upon waking, wait 20 minutes b4 u eat in the morning. Killer fat loss aide

If you have the powder form will this still apply?

10. I'm curious tho, my shake which contains a mix of 4 proteins contains like 2g of carb per 40g serving.... but the cassien I find to buy contains like 8g per 40g of serving... thus how's it better than my standard????

My standard contains MPI, milk protein anyways... would it be k?

Thanks!
    •   

11. Quote Originally Posted by AdelV View Post
    I'm curious tho, my shake which contains a mix of 4 proteins contains like 2g of carb per 40g serving.... but the cassien I find to buy contains like 8g per 40g of serving... thus how's it better than my standard????

My standard contains MPI, milk protein anyways... would it be k?

Thanks!
    Count it in your daily macros/calories and you'll be grand.
    The Driven Blog

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!

12. Whilst cutting, I have a 40-50g protein shake using MPI or just Micellar Casein along with some extra fiber and fish oil. I then make up a drink with about 15-20g of BCAA and drink that if I wake up at some point throughout the night and when I wake up.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

13. Never enough

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Whilst cutting, I have a 40-50g protein shake using MPI or just Micellar Casein along with some extra fiber and fish oil. I then make up a drink with about 15-20g of BCAA and drink that if I wake up at some point throughout the night and when I wake up.
    You don't think straight leucine would be better? I'd be thinking about blood sugar level rise from gluconeogenesis with taking that much of BCAAs middle of the night (plus the question of whether short term high BCAA usage actually increases protein oxidation 2-3 hours afterwards without additional protien infusion)
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

14. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    You don't think straight leucine would be better? I'd be thinking about blood sugar level rise from gluconeogenesis with taking that much of BCAAs middle of the night (plus the question of whether short term high BCAA usage actually increases protein oxidation 2-3 hours afterwards without additional protien infusion)
    Completely agree with this statement. Research has shown that protein synthesis decreases at a much faster rate after consumption of BCAAs compared to amino acids from whole foods or even whey protein. The decrease in protein synthesis corresponds to the supply of amino acids to the body from the protein source. This tells us that BCAAs are only a good source of amino acids IF you are able to ingest more amino acids in a relatively short period of time, i.e. 1 hour later.

BEAST

15. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I mix it with about 20 oz of water and maybe drink about 6 of it during the night. The blood sugar rise from this would be very, very tiny and that's assuming there is a response from such a small flux of glucogenic amino acids.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

16. Never enough

Ah thats not so bad then, you're under 8g then. thats probably not bad on the oxidation either. I've been thinking about upping my BCAA usage since being off TRT now my recovery blows
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

17. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Ah thats not so bad then, you're under 8g then. thats probably not bad on the oxidation either. I've been thinking about upping my BCAA usage since being off TRT now my recovery blows
    I also use the 4:1:1 powder instead of the standard 2:1:1.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

18. What is the purpose of BCAAs...or food for that matter pre-bed?

I honestly think you wont go catabolic in 8 hours or so...especially when your body is sleeping, a state where less energy is required.

For fat loss purpose, calories in/calories out will dictate that.

/broscience

19. I droped casien protein cause I could of easily get it from food and it would cost less. Just down some cottage cheese and PB before bed. Cottage cheese is casien protein and the fat in PB helps slow the digestion.

20. Quote Originally Posted by niCe99 View Post
    What is the purpose of BCAAs...or food for that matter pre-bed?

I honestly think you wont go catabolic in 8 hours or so...especially when your body is sleeping, a state where less energy is required.

For fat loss purpose, calories in/calories out will dictate that.

/broscience
    Cals in/cals out isn't broscience. It is thermodynamic law.

As for the 8 hour fast, just look at the results of some of the guys doing 16hr fasts, or even alternate-day fasting! I don't see much muscle loss.
    The Driven Blog

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!

21. I'm with Robboe. You aren't losing muscle while sleeping, IF you are eating the appropriate number of calories. There's no doubt in my mind that eating before bed absolutely murders gh release, and not only may this be worse for gains than the 8hr 'fast', but it's terrible for overall health, anti-aging, and longevity.

Eating your last food 2-3 hours before bed, and taking a gh supplement like Ghenerate would be awesome for fatloss and health. I just started Ghenerate, and I've had some awesome nights sleep.

The only exception is if your schedule dictates a late night workout followed immediately by going to bed. I've done that by necessity for years, and it's really difficult for me to not eat after. In that case using something like LG bcaa's, or purple wraath, would be a good option. The insulin spike would be so small and transient as to not make a serious dent in gh hormone release, from what I've read.

22. Don't over look the power of Fiber. It's a extremely good appetite suppressor that will help you when your trying to sleep. It will also aid in digestion and get things moving. Psyllium husk is a e****lent soure. I find it better then benefiber although benefiber is tasteless. Veggies also are e****lent source of fiber and good choice before bed. Some Ideas are:

1. Green beens and a soure of chicken.
    2. A salad with Eggs, Tuna, or Chicken
    3. Broccoli and or Cauliflower with chicken
    4. Benifiber or psyllium husk with Whole Milk
    5. Benifiber mixed in 2-4% cottage cheese.

Tip: Make sure you don't eat earlier then 2-3 hours before bed.

I always have success with meals like this before bed. Next morning your skin is tighter and you know your on the right track.
    “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?

23. I usually don't get done training until about 6:30 and I'm in bed by 10:30. Only 1 post-training meal isn't enough for me since I'm more performance oriented as opposed to aesthetics.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

24. at the end of the day your looking at calories in vs calories out. You do not have to eat 5 meals a day to lose weight. It helps to eat smaller meals though out the day because you don't get so hungry but again as long as you can get the calories you need for a negative caloric intake then you should see the results you are looking for.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I usually don't get done training until about 6:30 and I'm in bed by 10:30. Only 1 post-training meal isn't enough for me since I'm more performance oriented as opposed to aesthetics.
    Rodja, me too. I'm really sensitive to food intake, and most workouts I leave pretty tapped. Not eating after just feels bad. I was doing the late night workout followed by some eaa's for a while, and started to get used to it, but if I havwe a morning mat session or training...terrible idea.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I usually don't get done training until about 6:30 and I'm in bed by 10:30. Only 1 post-training meal isn't enough for me since I'm more performance oriented as opposed to aesthetics.
    The GH boost will help your performance more than carbs before bed will.

I think people seriously underestimate the importance of letting GH do it's thing while you sleep and worry too much about their body lacking some measily colories while sleeping.

27. Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    The GH boost will help your performance more than carbs before bed will.

I think people seriously underestimate the importance of letting GH do it's thing while you sleep and worry too much about their body lacking some measily colories while sleeping.
    Where did I say anything about carbs before bed?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

28. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    This is true of formulas with a traditional bias, though I have not seen evidence that leucine alone has led to increased oxidation. This is primarily because leucine, unlike isoleucine and/or valine, has been shown to increase total protein turnover and synthesis independently of hyperaminoacidemia (i.e., a substantial increase in the available AA pool), and/or activation of mTOR (via directly activating protein translation initiating factors). Due to these factors, leucine is capable of preventing muscle protein breakdown and sustain increased rates of protein synthesis sans an additional protein source, therefore largely circumventing the so-called, "protein waste" of the other amino acids.
  29. Never enough

Yes, this definitely has me considering buying some bulk leucine and doing the bedside nightly drink with 5-10g of it. Cheap enough too
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

30. Quote Originally Posted by ecupirate View Post
    at the end of the day your looking at calories in vs calories out. You do not have to eat 5 meals a day to lose weight. It helps to eat smaller meals though out the day because you don't get so hungry but again as long as you can get the calories you need for a negative caloric intake then you should see the results you are looking for.
    The body gets entrained to a particular feeding schedule if you stick to one. Some people prefer fewer, smaller meals every 3-4 hours, and their body gets accustomed to this and so they tend to get hungry every 3-4 hours. If you ate every 6-8 hours and stuck to this, eventually your body would adapt and would typically only get hungry at these times, which is why the guys fasting for 16hrs tend to rarely feel hunger during their fasting periods.
    The Driven Blog

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Marijuana,metabolize food, just like alcohol and food?
    By socal101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2015, 04:59 PM
  2. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 01:02 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 11:49 PM
  4. When to take BCAAs?
    By IvyLeaguePump in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
  5. BCAAs