lets challenge alcar for just a minute

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
A lot of people say they feel leaner on it, but a lot of people also say that "no bloat" creatine is a good thing, even though most of us know that the only creatine bloat is in the muscle, and not over the muscle making us look fat. So lets challnge ALCAR for just a minute.

Before anyone starts bashing me, I just whant to say that Im not bashing ALCAR, but I think this will be an interesting read, and we all can learn

We know that injectible carnitie works, but to much carnitine can be hard on the thyroid in the long run.

ALCAR seems to only really be popular amoung people like us, who really look for new supplements and nutrients. It's not showing up in the mainstream preworkout products, and although you can get some ALCAR pills next to the other supplements at the grocery store, ALCAR still hasn't made it into any popular weightloss products.

I don't know how to conclude except to say feel free to discuss!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
besides i like lclt better.:box:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
since i started taking it i seem to get more bang from my test cyp. it was noticeable my 1st injection after starting the lclt. i have to give credit to andrew for suggesting it to me.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Man, no one jumped i to defend this stuff. Personally, if Im going to take a carnitine, Ill stick with ALCAR, because it exist in nature, and Im a hippy.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
A lot of people say they feel leaner on it, but a lot of people also say that "no bloat" creatine is a good thing, even though most of us know that the only creatine bloat is in the muscle, and not over the muscle making us look fat. So lets challnge ALCAR for just a minute.

Before anyone starts bashing me, I just whant to say that Im not bashing ALCAR, but I think this will be an interesting read, and we all can learn

We know that injectible carnitie works, but to much carnitine can be hard on the thyroid in the long run.

ALCAR seems to only really be popular amoung people like us, who really look for new supplements and nutrients. It's not showing up in the mainstream preworkout products, and although you can get some ALCAR pills next to the other supplements at the grocery store, ALCAR still hasn't made it into any popular weightloss products.

I almost stopped reading when you got to the statement about creatine bloat only existing IN the muscle. But I pressed on..........

Alcar isn't showing up in a LOT of products because contract manufacturers don't like dealing with a messy, clumpy ingredient like Alcar.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I almost stopped reading when you got to the statement about creatine bloat only existing IN the muscle. But I pressed on..........

Alcar isn't showing up in a LOT of products because contract manufacturers don't like dealing with a messy, clumpy ingredient like Alcar.
Not to mention the pretty sour, bitter taste of it. I personally love ALCAR when cutting, but more for non-stim energy than for fat loss purposes.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established

OK, I guess creatine can inflame the digestive tract a bit.

And good call on the clump thing, and to rodja, good call on the bitterness thing. Like I said, I dont whant to just bash ALCAR.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Cant bash a supplement if you havent used it. Some people wont respond to it and in some cases people are using inferior product. ALCAR does seem to produce a slimming effect, it also seems to enhance endogenous Test and boost energy, of course this is all anecdotal and possibly placebo, but, Im glad its useful. Anyone else using it regularly and noticeing these effects?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Ive used it. Ive actually had a hundred gram container that I use occasionally for a whole year now. I don't like it before social situations. It takes away my humor. I mixed some with my Jack3d today, and hated it. It made me too mellow. I like to feel like my life is a scene from Rambo 4 when Im training, and this stuff made me emotionally neutral.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ive used it. Ive actually had a hundred gram container that I use occasionally for a whole year now. I don't like it before social situations. It takes away my humor. I mixed some with my Jack3d today, and hated it. It made me too mellow. I like to feel like my life is a scene from Rambo 4 when Im training, and this stuff made me emotionally neutral.
try lclt, it actually increases aggression- for me.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
can i just use l-carnitine?
although all the carnitines are related, they each cause different effects. google carnitine and see what effects each are known for.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like ALCAR on my off days when not stimming. It perks me up in a nice calm way. I am also using LCLT(Protocol) post workout and liking the recovery from it.

chim_chim

Awards
I'd say that ALCAR has taken hold more in the nootropic market. Even there, you need so much of it, and it is so sour and clumpy, that it is never going to be an important part of a many-ingredient pill. I personally need 1-2 g of ALCAR to feel anything, but it is very noticeable to me as smooth energy and general alertness. I am very confident that I could detect this versus placebo.

To me, the possible lipolytic and/or androgen receptor clearing effects are of secondary importance, but the scientific evidence is pretty solid. I think that creatine has spoiled our thinking about supplements. If ALCAR could make, say, 3 lbs. of difference of fat loss or muscle gain over half a year, AND give me the very noticeable mental benefits and be a generally health-promoting supplement (e.g., an antioxidant), then it is easily worth its low cost. However, there is no way that I could feel those 3 lbs. over 6 months -- the change would be too gradual.

Many people would disagree and say that half a pound difference per month is nothing -- they can gain 2 lbs. per month training hard and drinking milk, etc., or "I can't feel it like I do [stimulant + niacin + kitchen sink pre-workout powder]." We all have to weigh the pluses and minuses for ourselves.

However, keep in mind that one reason that you won't see ALCAR catch on in the mainstream is that you need so much of it (doesn't fit in a single capsule with other ingredients). It only makes sense for the dedicated, intelligent person who is willing to either take multiple capsules, or who is willing to dip his 1/4-tsp measuring spoon into a jar of sour tasting powder for a heaping scoop and then slam it down with some liquid.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
A wise man once said "What is right is not always popular and What is popular is not always right" Creating a new product with big claims, strong advertising and stocking it on the shelves will sell far more then a product under the radar that actually works. More often then none these popular products are extremely overrated.

What is one of the best post-workout drinks you can take? A: Chocolate milk, yet products continuously come out claiming they have the best post-workout shake or powder that will help you recover the best and get you the most gains.

That said, ALCAR is on my top 5 supplement list of all time. Very few other supplements will give you such a large spectrum of benefits.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I luv Piracetam and Alcar, 2 grams each mixed in water. Yummy and makes me sharp!

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
The "mellow" and lack of humor could be from test elevation. Emotionally neutral, hmmm, depending on the situation that could be placebo. Of course all of it could be placebo.

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
I know this is a mega dig here guys....What are your thoughts on l-car injection into fat?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alcar is awesome for increasing free testosterone.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Source? I've seen animal studies, but nothing in humans regarding ALCAR and free testosterone.
just some personal work i did with a few "lab rats" :)

we found when dosed properly it really increases free test significantly(only had about 6 of us try it though). used saliva tests for verification

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I love ALCAR. The cognitive effect alone, is awesome. As for taste, its nasty sour, but mixed with cran-juice( I use diet, next to no carbs and next to no sugar). It eases the sourness. Anyone hear tried bulk phenibut-HAHA?

I gotta say, that I do think there is a bit of a slimming effect on it.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a love/hate relationship with ALCAR.It is one of the most effective supplements out there,but for me,it is quite an emotional rollercoaster.
I seem to be very sensitive to it`s nootropic effects.

ramon25

Awards
The main thing that scares me about ALCAR is that it prevents thyroid hormone from entering into cells. Sort of making them thyroid resistent. So really your thyroid panel could look normal but the cell is not getting the hormone. I think alot of people under estimate how important thyroid function is.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The main thing that scares me about ALCAR is that it prevents thyroid hormone from entering into cells. Sort of making them thyroid resistent. So really your thyroid panel could look normal but the cell is not getting the hormone. I think alot of people under estimate how important thyroid function is.
I was unaware of it`s impact on thyroid hormones.Could be the reason I have such a hard time with the stuff.

ramon25

Awards
Yeah i dont do well of the stuff either. They gave used it to treat HYPERthyroidism and works quite well for that just at 1-3 grams a day. So there is an impact even at moderate doses.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
i had no idea alcar had this kind of effect on thyroid hormones either. this seems worth investigating.

jshin

Awards
Also unaware if its effect on the thyroid, are there any articles supporting this?

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Been dosing 4-5 grams of NP Alcar for about 1 week now. Wow, energy boost is very noticeable and the afternoon lulls are gone. if this is a result of better use of energy fat utilization into the cells, I can definitely see it making you more lean. I seem to look leaner too, but too soon to say for sure.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Acetylcarnitine

Acetyl-L-carnitine or ALCAR, is an acetylated form of L-carnitine. It is a dietary supplement and naturally occurs in plants and animals.
Contents
[hide]

1 Biochemical Production and Action
2 Absorption Compared to L-carnitine
3 Health Claims
4 References
5 Other reviews

[edit] Biochemical Production and Action

ALCAR is an acetylated derivative of L-carnitine. During strenuous exercise, a large portion of L-carnitine and unused acetyl-CoA are converted to ALCAR and CoA inside mitochondria by carnitine O-acetyltransferase.[1] The ALCAR is transported outside the mitochondria where it converts back to the two constituents. The L-carnitine is cycled back into the mitochondria with acyl groups to facilitate fatty acid utilization, but excess acetyl-CoA may block it.[2][3] Excess acetyl-CoA causes more carbohydrates to be used for energy at the expense of fatty acids. This occurs by different mechanisms inside and outside the mitochondria. ALCAR transport decreases acetyl-CoA inside the mitochondria, but increases it outside.[4][5] Glucose metabolism increases with administration of either ALCAR[6] or L-carnitine.[7] A portion of L-carnitine is converted to ALCAR after ingestion in humans.[8]
[edit] Absorption Compared to L-carnitine

It has been claimed ALCAR is superior to L-carnitine in terms of bioavailability.[9] Both use the same mechanism for intestinal absorption that improves with sodium.[10] One study shows ALCAR has a lower blood concentration in humans after ingestion[11] possibly because ALCAR is hydrolyzed more in blood.[12] This means it has less bioavailability unless it is entering cells (e.g., brain or muscle) more efficiently from the blood than L-carnitine. L-carnitine is known to not absorb into cells unless there is an insulin spike such as from a carbohydrate load.[13]
[edit] Health Claims

ALCAR has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and get to the brain blood circulation, where it acts as a powerful antioxidant,[14] which helps in prevention of the brain cells' deterioration. Its supplementation has been shown to be neuroprotective in instances of cerebral ischemia in rats[15] and may be useful in treating peripheral nerve injury.[16] It may have some neuroprotective benefit in the treatment of Parkinson's disease, but further research is required.[17] ALCAR is also known to increase sperm motility,[18] which pertains to the ability of sperm to move vigorously. Since motility is among the most important factors that help in the determination of sperm’s fertilization capability, acetyl-L-carnitine can help sperm cells move more actively, which consequently leads to the improved male fertility. Research into the compound's safety and efficacy in humans is required. ALCAR has been shown to be more effective than tamoxifen in improving the curvature and reducing the pain and plaque sizes for men who sought treatment for their Peyronie's disease early and having low curvature deformities.[19] ALCAR has also been shown to improve insulin response[20][21] and is proved to have a positive effect on various muscle diseases as well as heart conditions. [22] [23]
[edit] References

^ Zeyner A, Harmeyer J (1999). "Metabolic functions of L-carnitine and its effects as feed additive in horses. A review". Archiv Für Tierernährung 52 (2): 115–38. PMID 10548966.
^ Longnus SL, Wambolt RB, Barr RL, Lopaschuk GD, Allard MF (October 2001). "Regulation of myocardial fatty acid oxidation by substrate supply". American Journal of Physiology. Heart and Circulatory Physiology 281 (4): H1561–7. PMID 11557544.
^ Lysiak W, Lilly K, DiLisa F, Toth PP, Bieber LL (January 1988). "Quantitation of the effect of L-carnitine on the levels of acid-soluble short-chain acyl-CoA and CoASH in rat heart and liver mitochondria". The Journal of Biological Chemistry 263 (3): 1151–6. PMID 3335535.
^ Kiens B (January 2006). "Skeletal muscle lipid metabolism in exercise and insulin resistance". Physiological Reviews 86 (1): 205–43. doi:10.1152/physrev.00023.2004. PMID 16371598.
^ Lopaschuk GD, Gamble J (October 1994). "The 1993 Merck Frosst Award. Acetyl-CoA carboxylase: an important regulator of fatty acid oxidation in the heart". Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 72 (10): 1101–9. PMID 7882173.
^ Giancaterini A, De Gaetano A, Mingrone G, et al. (June 2000). "Acetyl-L-carnitine infusion increases glucose disposal in type 2 diabetic patients". Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental 49 (6): 704–8. doi:10.1053/meta.2000.6250. PMID 10877193.
^ Mingrone G, Greco AV, Capristo E, et al. (February 1999). "L-carnitine improves glucose disposal in type 2 diabetic patients". Journal of the American College of Nutrition 18 (1): 77–82. PMID 10067662.
^ Cao Y, Wang YX, Liu CJ, Wang LX, Han ZW, Wang CB (2009). "Comparison of pharmacokinetics of L-carnitine, acetyl-L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine after single oral administration of L-carnitine in healthy volunteers". Clinical and Investigative Medicine 32 (1): E13–9. PMID 19178874.
^ Jane Higdon, Ph.D. (October 2002). L-Carnitine. Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University.
^ Hamilton JW, Li BU, Shug AL, Olsen WA (July 1986). "Carnitine transport in human intestinal biopsy specimens. Demonstration of an active transport system". Gastroenterology 91 (1): 10–6. PMID 3710058.
^ Eder K, Felgner J, Becker K, Kluge H (January 2005). "Free and total carnitine concentrations in pig plasma after oral ingestion of various L-carnitine compounds". International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research 75 (1): 3–9. doi:10.1024/0300-9831.75.1.3. PMID 15830915.
^ Rebouche CJ (November 2004). "Kinetics, pharmacokinetics, and regulation of L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine metabolism". Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1033: 30–41. doi:10.1196/annals.1320.003. PMID 15591001.
^ Stephens FB, Constantin-Teodosiu D, Greenhaff PL (June 2007). "New insights concerning the role of carnitine in the regulation of fuel metabolism in skeletal muscle". The Journal of Physiology 581 (Pt 2): 431–44. doi:10.1113/jphysiol.2006.125799. PMC 2075186. PMID 17331998.
^ Barhwal K, Hota SK, Jain V, Prasad D, Singh SB, Ilavazhagan G (June 2009). "Acetyl-l-carnitine (ALCAR) prevents hypobaric hypoxia-induced spatial memory impairment through extracellular related kinase-mediated nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 phosphorylation". Neuroscience 161 (2): 501–14. doi:10.1016/j.neuroscience.2009.02.086. PMID 19318118.
^ Al-Majed AA, Sayed-Ahmed MM, Al-Omar FA, Al-Yahya AA, Aleisa AM, Al-Shabanah OA (August 2006). "Carnitine esters prevent oxidative stress damage and energy depletion following transient forebrain ischaemia in the rat hippocampus". Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology & Physiology 33 (8): 725–33. doi:10.1111/j.1440-1681.2006.04425.x. PMID 16895547.
^ Wilson AD, Hart A, Brännström T, Wiberg M, Terenghi G (2007). "Delayed acetyl-L-carnitine administration and its effect on sensory neuronal rescue after peripheral nerve injury". Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery 60 (2): 114–8. doi:10.1016/j.bjps.2006.04.017. PMID 17223507.
^ Beal MF (2003). "Bioenergetic approaches for neuroprotection in Parkinson's disease". Annals of Neurology 53 (Suppl 3): S39–47; discussion S47–8. doi:10.1002/ana.10479. PMID 12666097.
^ Hath**** JN, Shao A (October 2006). "Risk assessment for carnitine". Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology 46 (1): 23–8. doi:10.1016/j.yrtph.2006.06.007. PMID 16901595.
^ Claudio Teloken, Tulio Graziottin & Patrick E. Teloken (2007). "Oral Therapy for Peyroni's Disease". In Laurence A. Levine M.D. FACS. Peyronies Disease: A Guide to Clinical Management. Humana Press. ISBN 978-1-58829-614-6. Retrieved 2009-06-26.
^ Ruggenenti P, Cattaneo D, Loriga G, et al. (September 2009). "Ameliorating hypertension and insulin resistance in subjects at increased cardiovascular risk: effects of acetyl-L-carnitine therapy". Hypertension 54 (3): 567–74. doi:10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.109.132522. PMID 19620516.
^ Zhang Z, Zhao M, Li Q, Zhao H, Wang J, Li Y (January 2009). "Acetyl-l-carnitine inhibits TNF-alpha-induced insulin resistance via AMPK pathway in rat skeletal muscle cells". FEBS Letters 583 (2): 470–4. doi:10.1016/j.febslet.2008.12.053. PMID 19121314.
^ Schroeder MA, Atherton HJ, Ball DR, Cole MA, Heather LC, Griffin JL, Clarke K, Radda GK, Tyler DJ. (August 2009). "Real-time assessment of Krebs cycle metabolism using hyperpolarized 13C magnetic resonance spectroscopy". FASEB J. 23 (8): 2529–2538. doi:10.1096/fj.09-129171. PMC 2717776. PMID 19329759.
^ Kotil K, Kirali M, Eras M, Bilge T, Uzun H. (April 2007). "Neuroprotective effects of acetyl-L-carnithine in experimental chronic compression neuropathy. A prospective, randomized and placebo-control trials.". Turk Neurosurg. 17 (2): 67–77. PMID 17935020.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established

deff love the stuff and use it daily

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
agreed, I try to have bulk alcar on hand and absolutely love the feel from it

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Is there anyway to increase or multiply the effectiveness and or benefits?

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
In Sweden, you'll find ALCAR in many of the supplements for example testoboosters, pwos, bcaa, eaa, etc.. It's very popular indeed and alot of users buy it as bulk and add it to whatever they prefer...

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I have been using Alcar now for 3 weeks now. I swear I have shed some fat around the midsection. My question is, will the fat keep shedding off if I keep using it. The above article says it helps burn more carbohydrates in the cell so the mechanism in the body is like that of a fat burner? For those that have used it year round, does it keep making you leaner!?The energy boost is increadible and lasts all day. The nootropic benefits are also extremely noticeable.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know if Alcar will keep leaning you out enough to rid men of stomach fat and eventually getting you ripped?!?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone know if Alcar will keep leaning you out enough to rid men of stomach fat and eventually getting you ripped?!?
The only thing “keep leaning” is what you eat. Nothing more
ALCAR helps but not is a miracle

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
The only thing “keep leaning” is what you eat. Nothing more ALCAR helps but not is a miracle
Of course I realize diet is very important when it comes to getting lean but it is not the only the only thing. Classic example is Superdrol and other steroids where they can lean you out because they take your carbs and shuttle them into the muscles. Well, Alcar takes some of your carbs and burns them for energy! This is why I was asking if Alcar could produce a continuous leaning effect due to this mechanism.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Of course I realize diet is very important when it comes to getting lean but it is not the only the only thing. Classic example is Superdrol and other steroids where they can lean you out because they take your carbs and shuttle them into the muscles. Well, Alcar takes some of your carbs and burns them for energy! This is why I was asking if Alcar could produce a continuous leaning effect due to this mechanism.
Everyone is different ;) and NOT all carbs are the same. Carnitine is a outstanding supplement but you need know how, when and the correct dose to take it.

Fat burner carnitine needs carbohydrates
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17331998

here to help bud!

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
So when and what's correct dose? I have been taking 5 grams in the morning before breakfast. Love the stuff. Would like to see if I can optimize the benefits.

Appreciate the discussion.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Also unaware if its effect on the thyroid, are there any articles supporting this?
Any more info on alcar's effects on the thyroid? I'm on synthroid, should I be concerned?

test112

Awards
  • Established
I just saw this thread right after I posted in the other carnitine/thyroid thread!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like to take 2 g a day along with the divinil found in testabolan. love that product!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
ALCAR is definitely not for everyone. I initially loved the energy and cognitive boost, but it soon became apparent that it impacted my sleep terribly. I generally only take it when I absolutely need to be on point.