post workout carb

ecupirate

Awards
Just curious to what your thoughts were on drinking v-8 fusion juice after a workout. Good idea? Bad Idea? Let me hear them.

Each can depending on the flavor seems to have 38-42 grams of carbs. 35-38 which are sugars from the fruit.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
I think we should know what your goals are...whats your body type?

Simple sugars after my workout always kept me smooth...when I switched to complex carbs, and get my insulin in control, great things happened...but its all dependant on many factors..fill us in holmes!

ecupirate

Awards
Ive been doing hypertrophy stage and stregnth training stage. The hypertrophy is really to get my body a rest from the max efforts I put into my squat bench and deadlift. I also figure drinking the v-8 because of the carbs and the vitamins from the the fruits and vegies.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I've had good results having simple sugars post workout before or after my protein shake.

In high school i would keep candy in my car, but the chocolate would melt in the summer time :(

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
I've had good results having simple sugars post workout before or after my protein shake.

In high school i would keep candy in my car, but the chocolate would melt in the summer time :(
By your stats im assuming you are an ecto? Always lean? I look at ketchup I gain weight, hah! That candy and chocolate would stick to my hips..

TeamT10

Awards
By your stats im assuming you are an ecto? Always lean? I look at ketchup I gain weight, hah! That candy and chocolate would stick to my hips..
lol so true

i gained a pound just now thinking about a snickers bar....damn ectos

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
When I bulk, I do a combination of simple and complex carbs post workout. 1.5 cup oats, 20-40g maltodextrin.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I use 20-30g dextros mixed with my whey protein PostWO. but use oatmeal+ a banana for my protein smoothys rest of time.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like postal : )

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Elaborate on that. I'm curious to hear why you feel that way.
Feel that way? I'm actually kind of surprised you all aren't on the same page yet..

-Energy deficit after exercise augments lipid mobilization but does not contribute to the exercise-induced increase in insulin sensitivity (abstract)
-From a HGH perspective
-Books or interviews with Dr. DiPasquale (SHR 501 and more)
-Books or interviews with Dr. Scott Connelly (at least one on the crossfit journal)

I didn't realize this was news?

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
Feel that way? I'm actually kind of surprised you all aren't on the same page yet..

-Energy deficit after exercise augments lipid mobilization but does not contribute to the exercise-induced increase in insulin sensitivity (abstract)
-From a HGH perspective
-Books or interviews with Dr. DiPasquale (SHR 501 and more)
-Books or interviews with Dr. Scott Connelly (at least one on the crossfit journal)

I've heard it before, but didn't care to really look into it. Thanks for the links.

adawg4929

Awards
  • Established
i generally try to use a carb that wont really spike insulin but will empty the gut quickly, i really like to use Waxy Maize for those purposes.

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
i generally try to use a carb that wont really spike insulin but will empty the gut quickly, i really like to use Waxy Maize for those purposes.
That's what I've been rocking for the last couple years.

TxHomeGrown

Awards
dextrose always makes me feel good after my 5x5 sessions

ArtificalIntl

Awards

what about how insulin helps with protein synthesis?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll stick with my carbs post-WO as the benefits of prolonged GH are speculative, at best, and that I like my glycogen levels to be full. I'm not saying to ingest a cast amount of high-GI carbs, but taking out this important macronutrient is absurd. Exercise, aerobic and anaerobic, both increase GLUT-4 receptor expression, which will, in turn, help repartition the glucose to the muscle.

I wish that study would have looked into cortisol, CK, and other inflammatory markers to see if there was any impaired recovery.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
There is plenty of research on Carbs and protein around workout. GH effect is overrated at best.

If you guys want an excellent source for pre/during/post nutrition information, pick up Dr Lyle Mcdonald's "The Protein Book." He covers just about every research available and its implications on training. Hundreds of research covered. He is a collegue of Alan Aragon for those who know him.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i have always had trouble putting on weight. High school i was about a buck 55. I've been slowly putting on muscle mass, waiting on my metabolism to come down a bit.

Ideally, i would take wazy maize after a workout.

iForce Dave

iForce Dave

Awards
  • Established
i like using vitargoS2 or karbolyn with Creatine mono and BCAA's

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
vitargo gets good reviews but is so costly, ground oats as my postWO carb has always yielded me the best results over wms, dextrose, fruit juice, gatorade, etc.