supplements to get off drugs

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So my friend pays a forturn for drugs and I am trying to look for alternatives for his drugs he takes.

abilify 5mg in the morning and 15mg of abilify. Omega 3 EPA and DHA at 2-4 grams just EPA and DHA

1mg of clonidine, 1mg of benztrophine (congentin).

Not sure of a alternative. Any thoughts.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
GEEZ- I THOUGHT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GET OFF CRACK!!!!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
His doctor does not know natural alternatives as hes a Doctor lol ehe so I though I could try to help him get off the drugs.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends what he's using them for. Clonidine has a few indications that are quite different and would require different approaches.

Why is the fish oil mentioned and bolded?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I want to replace his meds at a lower dose with some EPA and DHA so I bolded it. I also think Fish oil can help with BP witch I know clonidine is ment for most of the time. Since he does not smoke I can't think of any other reason he is using it. I am helping him loose weight.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Why would you want to take him off supervised meds and put him on herbs? what is the point of doing so?

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
if your friend is taking medication let him talk to his doc about other alternatives or maybe he should find another doctor thats open to the idea, I would personally not want to be responsible for giving advice that overwrites his doc in the event of a worst case scenario.
If he changes to a healthy diet and adopts training he could naturally get off his meds. My 2cents

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats what im trying to help him with. He has medical so his selection is limited to doctors he can pick from and the doctor he has does not know herbs vitamins etc and alternative meds. I know the second one I mentioned is for blood pressure and I was thinking fish oil and cardio would help too.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
replacing the blood pressure med could be easier. If he takes something that brings his blood pressure down and make him less reliant on the meds, the doctor could be convinced.

Abilify on the other hand is for depression, bipolar, and Schizophrenia. I would be real hesitent to get someone off such meds and switching to herbs. Herbs may have inconsistent dose per serving, may vary widely from one product to another and from one batch of the same product to another batch. Having consistent well known dose can be helpful. Not to mention, the doctor can evaluate his response and sides and change the med if needed.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dj, I'm going to agree with the other people that chimed in saying this isn't the place. We don't even know why he's on the meds, there can be withdrawal symptoms from the meds, and we'd be contradicting his Dr's best judgement. Just tell your friend to talk to his Dr, explain his situation, and see if there's anything to be done regarding cost, such as drug substitutions or him purchasing online generics.

Getting fit cardiovascularly can aid in blood pressure control.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
replacing the blood pressure med could be easier. If he takes something that brings his blood pressure down and make him less reliant on the meds, the doctor could be convinced.

Abilify on the other hand is for depression, bipolar, and Schizophrenia. I would be real hesitent to get someone off such meds and switching to herbs. Herbs may have inconsistent dose per serving, may vary widely from one product to another and from one batch of the same product to another batch. Having consistent well known dose can be helpful. Not to mention, the doctor can evaluate his response and sides and change the med if needed.

THE BP med I can easily convince his doctor to get him off with fish oil and resitance training and weight loss. Abilify he wants to cut the dose in half once he looses the weight which we hope his doctor will agree apon. I know his doctor said its weight dependent. I understand its something that can be risky but drugs are more risky too than herbs.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
THE BP med I can easily convince his doctor to get him off with fish oil and resitance training and weight loss. Abilify he wants to cut the dose in half once he looses the weight which we hope his doctor will agree apon. I know his doctor said its weight dependent. I understand its something that can be risky but drugs are more risky too than herbs.
Drugs CAN be more risky than herbs, but NOT if there is a legitimate reason to be taking them (the drugs, that is). Only your friend's doc can properly make that assessment. I'm afraid it is a bit sketchy to be relying on the advice of a forum that cannot possibly know your friend's medical situation.