1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

supplements to get off drugs

So my friend pays a forturn for drugs and I am trying to look for alternatives for his drugs he takes.

abilify 5mg in the morning and 15mg of abilify. Omega 3 EPA and DHA at 2-4 grams just EPA and DHA

1mg of clonidine, 1mg of benztrophine (congentin).

Not sure of a alternative. Any thoughts.

2. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity God

GEEZ- I THOUGHT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GET OFF CRACK!!!!
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.08%

His doctor does not know natural alternatives as hes a Doctor lol ehe so I though I could try to help him get off the drugs.
    •   

4. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.29%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Depends what he's using them for. Clonidine has a few indications that are quite different and would require different approaches.

Why is the fish oil mentioned and bolded?
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.08%

I want to replace his meds at a lower dose with some EPA and DHA so I bolded it. I also think Fish oil can help with BP witch I know clonidine is ment for most of the time. Since he does not smoke I can't think of any other reason he is using it. I am helping him loose weight.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.86%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Why would you want to take him off supervised meds and put him on herbs? what is the point of doing so?
  7. PES Rep
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.8%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

if your friend is taking medication let him talk to his doc about other alternatives or maybe he should find another doctor thats open to the idea, I would personally not want to be responsible for giving advice that overwrites his doc in the event of a worst case scenario.
    If he changes to a healthy diet and adopts training he could naturally get off his meds. My 2cents
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    If you are not on the PES Insider list you are not cool. Uncool people don't deserve free Alphamine.
    PES product educator, PM me with any questions!
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.08%

Thats what im trying to help him with. He has medical so his selection is limited to doctors he can pick from and the doctor he has does not know herbs vitamins etc and alternative meds. I know the second one I mentioned is for blood pressure and I was thinking fish oil and cardio would help too.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.86%
    Achievements Posting Pro

replacing the blood pressure med could be easier. If he takes something that brings his blood pressure down and make him less reliant on the meds, the doctor could be convinced.

Abilify on the other hand is for depression, bipolar, and Schizophrenia. I would be real hesitent to get someone off such meds and switching to herbs. Herbs may have inconsistent dose per serving, may vary widely from one product to another and from one batch of the same product to another batch. Having consistent well known dose can be helpful. Not to mention, the doctor can evaluate his response and sides and change the med if needed.
  10. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.29%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Dj, I'm going to agree with the other people that chimed in saying this isn't the place. We don't even know why he's on the meds, there can be withdrawal symptoms from the meds, and we'd be contradicting his Dr's best judgement. Just tell your friend to talk to his Dr, explain his situation, and see if there's anything to be done regarding cost, such as drug substitutions or him purchasing online generics.

Getting fit cardiovascularly can aid in blood pressure control.
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.08%

Quote Originally Posted by fadi View Post
    replacing the blood pressure med could be easier. If he takes something that brings his blood pressure down and make him less reliant on the meds, the doctor could be convinced.

Abilify on the other hand is for depression, bipolar, and Schizophrenia. I would be real hesitent to get someone off such meds and switching to herbs. Herbs may have inconsistent dose per serving, may vary widely from one product to another and from one batch of the same product to another batch. Having consistent well known dose can be helpful. Not to mention, the doctor can evaluate his response and sides and change the med if needed.

THE BP med I can easily convince his doctor to get him off with fish oil and resitance training and weight loss. Abilify he wants to cut the dose in half once he looses the weight which we hope his doctor will agree apon. I know his doctor said its weight dependent. I understand its something that can be risky but drugs are more risky too than herbs.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.82%

Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    THE BP med I can easily convince his doctor to get him off with fish oil and resitance training and weight loss. Abilify he wants to cut the dose in half once he looses the weight which we hope his doctor will agree apon. I know his doctor said its weight dependent. I understand its something that can be risky but drugs are more risky too than herbs.
    Drugs CAN be more risky than herbs, but NOT if there is a legitimate reason to be taking them (the drugs, that is). Only your friend's doc can properly make that assessment. I'm afraid it is a bit sketchy to be relying on the advice of a forum that cannot possibly know your friend's medical situation.
  13. AI Sports Nutrition
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.65%

Abilify is a atypical antipsychotic and no herb that I know of will replace it. This is really something that needs to be discussed with a medical person.
    Ask me for samples of the new RecoverPRO and Maniac. 3Z is coming July 1st Facebook for more info and maybe a great deal on it coming.
    http://twitter.com/#!/TeamAISports
    http://www.facebook.com/AISportsNutrition

Similar Forum Threads

1. supporting drugs n supplements for my first cycle???
    By gymfreak2 in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 06:26 AM
  2. OTC drugs mixed with supplements?
    By Zerealj in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 02:50 AM
  3. Prescribed drugs with supplements..Help!
    By Zerealj in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 10:26 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 06:30 AM
  5. Drugs/supplements for improve brain fuction
    By asap nutrition in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 05:37 PM