Kidney filtration burden?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
An old school bodybuilder I ran into at the gym swears on sipping on BCAA's all day long. Literally, instead of water, he drinks this concoction of BCAA's mixed into his water. Says he feels better and recuperates better etc.

Well, although I think the idea is a good one, doesnt your kidney need to drink some straight water instead throughout the day as it's already filtering toxins and stress form higher end protein (and some times sodium) intake.

Currently, I drink a gallon of water throughout the day and keep BCAA's to pre and post w-o but anything to gain an advantage would be nice.

fanzdslpwr

Awards
  • Established
Well how does he look? does he look like an average bodybuilder or does he look like Branch Warren. There isn't any data saying that protein or aminos are hard on your kidneys unless you have a existing problem. if he looks awesome then he may be on too something but if he could only take top 5 at a regional level or worse I would stick with the BCAA before training or after and too maybe sipping on them throughout the day when dieting hard

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Your kidneys never see straight water. They filter your blood. Whatever water you drink is absorbed into the blood and circulated in the body. I don't see how this is any more burden compared to aminos from protein. Whether or not it's cost effective is the only question.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
An old school bodybuilder I ran into at the gym swears on sipping on BCAA's all day long. Literally, instead of water, he drinks this concoction of BCAA's mixed into his water. Says he feels better and recuperates better etc.

Well, although I think the idea is a good one, doesnt your kidney need to drink some straight water instead throughout the day as it's already filtering toxins and stress form higher end protein (and some times sodium) intake.

Currently, I drink a gallon of water throughout the day and keep BCAA's to pre and post w-o but anything to gain an advantage would be nice.
If you're drinking your galleon a day of water and having your BCAA mixed into that, then you're still getting in your water, and no, there will not be a problem with your kidneys, since BCAA is NOT the same as your body having to digest protein.

~Team APPNUT

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
COOL :)

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kidneys do not filter water, they filter blood with whatever is present in your blood stream. I wouldn't do it personally, but I see no reason from a health standpoint not to, I just see it pointless.