Flax vs fish oil - AnabolicMinds.com

Flax vs fish oil

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Flax vs fish oil

It seems like a lot of guys on here take relatively high doses of fish oil, like 10-20g daily, just wondering if there is a specific advantage of fish oil over flax if taken in similar sized amounts( as both are supposed to provide a myriad of positive benefits, aside from the obvious efa content). I was always under the impression they yielded similar results, and that if anything it would be advantageous to take ample amounts of both..what r your thoughts?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

fish oils just hase some things flax dont. I would and do use both.
    3-4g fish oils and a 1-4 g of ground flax in my smoothys or cerial.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Fish oil EPA and DHA. As far as i am aware, flax only contains ALA.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Ah ok.... And it's the EPA/ dha component responsible for the benefits i.e. Reducing inflammation and joint pain?
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by daft205 View Post
    Ah ok.... And it's the EPA/ dha component responsible for the benefits i.e. Reducing inflammation and joint pain?
    Not sure, lookin around the web right now. Found this though on wiki.

The 18 carbon α-linolenic acid has not been shown to have the same cardiovascular benefits as DHA or EPA.[13] Currently there are many products on the market which claim to contain health promoting 'omega 3', but contain only α-linolenic acid (ALA), not EPA or DHA. These products contain mainly higher plant oils and must be converted by the body to create DHA and therefore considered less efficient. DHA and EPA are made by microalgae that live in seawater. These are then consumed by fish and accumulate to high levels in their internal organs. If a person has ethical concerns about killing fish, or is concerned about mercury and oceanborne contaminants in fish, DHA can be produced directly from microalgae as a vegetarian source. People with certain circulatory problems, such as varicose veins, benefit from such supplements containing EPA and DHA which stimulate blood circulation, increase the breakdown of fibrin, a compound involved in clot and scar formation, and additionally have been shown to reduce blood pressure.[14][15] There is strong scientific evidence that n−3 fatty acids reduce blood triglyceride levels[16][17][18][19] and regular intake reduces the risk of secondary and primary heart attack
  6. New Member

I will offer a few thoughts if I may:

• from what I have read the conversion rate of ALA to omega 3's is only 5-25%. So you have to consume about 5 times the amount of ALA get the necessary amounts of omega 3's
    • women tend to convert ALA to omega 3's more effeciently than men
    • certain ethnic groups,cultures have genetic fragilities that decrease their abilities to convert ALA to EPA/DHA
    • certain vitamin deficiencies (B6, B3, C, zinc & magnesium) also inhibit the conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA
    • certain conditions such as diabetes and drug use, can prevent ALA conversion rates of EPA and DHA
    • ethanol inhibits conversion of ALA to EPA to DHA
    • omega 3's are absorbed quicker and need no conversion as ALA does
    • when your diet is high in LA - conversion of ALA to EPA to DHA can be decreased by as much as 40%

That seems like an open and shut case to me. I am looking forward to other responses as well.

7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by daft205 View Post
    It seems like a lot of guys on here take relatively high doses of fish oil, like 10-20g daily, just wondering if there is a specific advantage of fish oil over flax if taken in similar sized amounts( as both are supposed to provide a myriad of positive benefits, aside from the obvious efa content). I was always under the impression they yielded similar results, and that if anything it would be advantageous to take ample amounts of both..what r your thoughts?
    Well, people take 10-20g of fish oil to get the 2-3 grams of recommended EPA and DHA.

Most fish oil only have ~100-200mg per 1g fish oil.

Also, yes. Different types of fats in each.
  8. New Member

It is ideal to consume EPA/DHA in a liquid for efficiency as opposed to capsule form in my opinion.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.

Fish oil capsules IS liquid inside the capsule. Ever accidentally break one open on your fingers and smell it? Reminded me of my ex...
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Ahh that's just wrong.... But unfortunately I know what you mean.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

So what r u guys using, product wise to meet your personal EPA/dha needs?, just outta curiosity?
  12. New Member

High grade liquid fish oil - many quality brands out there
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Right on, ive only used the capsules and 10to 20 a day doesnt sound very appealing. U take that straight? Or are you able to toss it in a shake( which what I usually do with my flax oil)?
  14. New Member

I do take it straight. You will find the taste is quite tolerable, especially when you buy a high grade fish oil. Most have a slight lemon or orange flavor which is not bad. Compared to the taste of flax, or flax combination oils, is far and away better.

Fish oil in liquid form is more efficient, effective and bio-available in my opinion.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Take fil oil caps, 10+ a day.

I honestly don't buy the expensive kind. I don't expect to die of a heavy metal poisoning.

Just a side note, the fish oil softgels make great dog treats. Me and my dog would take them at the same time every day.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.

Yar, I just buy whatever I can get for the best price. Used to be to NP's 1000 pack but now they went up in price. So I get them elsewhere.

As far as the metals... People have been using these for years and just recently found out about metals. While it is best if they weren't in them. I don't go out of my way to ensure this.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Can Flax replace fish oil?
    By dave12 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 11:27 AM
  2. flax/fish oil dosage question
    By dlew308 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 09:24 PM
  3. flax oil, fish oils, etc.
    By bosco in forum Supplements