CLA unhealthy?

JasonblkZ06

Awards
So, what is the verdict on this? It doesn't seem worth it to even take this supplement with these added risks.

Since I have under 50 posts, I can't put a link but the study states CLA is as unhealthy as trans fat.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In moderation it is okay.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
CLA was discovered by accident in 1978 by Michael W. Pariza at the University of Wisconsin while looking for mutagen formations in meat during cooking. CLA, found naturally in many animal products, consists of positional and geometric isomers of linoleic acid. The difference between the two centers around CLA,s conjugated double bonds at carbon atoms 10 and 12 or 9 and 11. The 9 cis, 11 trans isomer is considered the most biologically active form of CLA.

Although all the intricacies of CLA are not fully understood, it is widely accepted in the research community that CLA counterbalances the negative effects of linoleic acid and regulates fat and protein metabolism in animals. Pariza, director of the Food Research Institute at the University of Wisconsin said, "A growing body of data indicates that CLA is a newly recognized nutrient that functions to regulate energy retention and metabolism." CLA can best be described as a "Growth Factor".*

Food intake efficiency! CLA has been shown in animal studies to increase growth rate through increased feed efficiency. In controlled studies, animals that had their diets supplemented with CLA increased their body protein (muscle tissue) while at the same time, had a significant decrease in body fat. This all occurred in the CLA supplemented animals while their food intake was decreased. Their lean mass increased even though they were eating less! This indicates that CLA increases feed efficiency and also points to a potent nutrient repartitioning effect.

This significant change in body composition can also be attributed in part to CLA's effect on immune function. When CLA levels fall, interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor-a are involved in the accumulation of body fat. CLA has been shown to inhibit the lean tissue wasting caused by high levels of these cytokines.

Actual human studies are on the way with anticipation of similar outcomes. CLA may be the most significant bodybuilding nutrient discovered in this decade. With anti-catabolic effects rivaling even the strongest pharmaceutical compounds, CLA is a naturally occurring nutrient with the ability to help you pack on lean muscle, reduce body fat and at the same time possesses health promoting properties.

CLA occurs naturally in foods such as milk, cheese, beef, and lamb as well as many processed foods. One processed food in particular that's high in CLA is Cheez Wiz!. But getting enough CLA from your diet for the preferred benefit would require considerable intake of these types of foods. This is not only impractical, but would also have a seriously negative impact on your metabolism due to the high caloric penalty you would pay.

Since this research has surfaced, a more economical and efficient way to get the required CLA has been devised. Through advanced lipid technology, a CLA synthesizing process allows for precision intake through premeasured softgel capsules. This allows for precise CLA intake at determined time intervals without the high calorie food consumption. Not only has CLA been shown to increase muscle mass while reducing body fat, studies have also shown remarkable anti-catabolic, antioxidant, immune enhancement, and anti-cancer benefits. Several other studies have even revealed dramatic cholesterol reducing effects. All this from a structured lipid. A "designer fat" if you will.

To the athlete looking to add more muscle and drop body fat, CLA is a unique discovery that will make accomplishing this feat easier and faster, all the while having positive effects on immune function and antioxidant status, as well as cholesterol

RAHHH

Awards
  • Established
great post!
i was using it years ago for fatloss then kinda stopped sinc ei didnt find the cost worth it but ill be thowing in some in my next pp order and take 3-4 caps a day for a few months again and see how i like.
few grams of cla + green tea should help keep some winter fat off :)

JasonblkZ06

Awards
CLA as unhealthy as synthetic trans fatty acids

According to a meta-study by Dutch nutritionists, CLAs are just as bad for your heart and blood vessels as the dreaded synthetic trans fatty acids that the food industry has been using for years in cookies, margarines and junk foods. CLA’s popularity as a nutritional supplement is on the wane.

When you hear the words ‘trans fatty acids’ you probably think of ones like the formula at the top of the diagram here. This is elaidic acid, a trans fatty acid that is manufactured from a natural fatty acid. The advantage of trans fatty acids is that they don’t go rancid quickly and they are what give bread and baked products a crispy texture. Nutritionists in the 1980s and 90s discovered that trans fatty acids increase the ‘bad cholesterol’ [LDL] in the body, and at the same time lower the ‘good cholesterol’ [HDL] thereby boosting the chance of a heart attack.

Milk and meat fats contain natural trans fatty acids, such as CLAs. The third structural formula in the diagram is of CLA. CLAs are produced in cows from vaccenic acid, another natural trans fatty acid in milk and meat, represented by the second structural formula in the figure above.

CLAs improve the body composition. They reduce the amount of body fat, probably by inhibiting fat cells’ uptake of fatty acids. Instead the fatty acids end up in the muscle cells, which therefore get more energy and grow. Sounds good, but there’s also a risk of the fatty acids getting into the organs – not healthy at all. The effect of CLAs on body composition has already been demonstrated, but is modest.

The Dutch nutritionists fear however that CLAs are just as risky as the trans fatty acids that the food industry has been putting in our food for years. For their publication in PLoS ONE, therefore, they analysed 39 trials in which people had been given trans fatty acids and the of these effects on heart and blood vessels had been measured. Seventeen of the studies were on CLAs, and six were on natural trans fatty acids like vaccenic acid.

The graph below shows that all sorts of trans fatty acids raised the concentration of the LDL by approximately the same amount. Statistical calculations produced the straight lines.

JasonblkZ06

Awards
Our diet does not contain terribly high amounts of natural trans fatty acids as we now eat less animal fat. If we could eliminate the last remaining trans fatty acids from our diet, then we might reduce our chance of heart and circulatory disease by 1.5 – 6 percent in theory. That’s not a huge amount. In fact, the impact of long-term CLA supplementation may be more serious.

"Intakes from supplements can easily reach 3 grams of CLA a day", the researchers write in their conclusion. "This should increase the LDL to HDL cholesterol ratio by 0.050, which would correspond with a 3 to 12 percent increase in the risk of cardiovascular disease."

That’s still not much. A rule of thumb in nutritional research is that something only becomes interesting if it doubles or halves risk. On the other hand though: CLAs are expensive and their effect is modest. If CLAs also increase your risk of cardiovascular disease it may be a reason for you to go in search of an alternative supplement.

catcat

catcat

Awards
"Research indicates that supplementation with t10c12 CLA dramatically increases rates of oxidative stress, to levels considerably higher than that observed in heavy smokers"

(cant post link)

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take this quote from the 2007 CLA study analysis by Leah D Whigham et al. –

“Our findings indicate that the 10 human studies that showed no statistically significant effect of CLA on fat mass lacked statistical power because the treatment duration was too short, there were too few subjects, or both. For example, based on the average difference in change in fat mass of 0.09 kg/wk between CLA treatment and placebo, the expected difference at 12 wk would be 1.1 kg. Because the average SD for within-individual change in fat mass was 2.6 kg, it is estimated that it would require 44 participants in each group to have an 80% power to detect this change with a P _ 0.05”

What about the studies that have found CLA to be pro-inflammatory?

Some studies have mentioned a concern for CLA’s ability to increase “inflammatory biomarkers” such as C-reactive proteins and white blood cell count. (2,3) However, other research has shown CLA to be an anti-inflammatory, while actually reducing the risk of inflammatory related diseases, such as atherosclerosis. (4-9) Despite the fact that CLA raises certain inflammatory related “biomarkers”, there have never been any human studies showing that CLA will increase inflammatory related diseases or symptoms. (1)

And what about the studies that showed CLA to reduce insulin sensitivity?

The only studies that have ever shown a reduction of insulin sensitivity in humans after CLA supplementation have been from the use of single isomers of CLA. (23,24) As it was explained earlier, an equal mix of the two CLA isomers has been shown to be safe & effective for humans, without posing any risk for decreasing insulin sensitivity. (25) In fact, multiple human studies have shown that a 50/50 mix of the c-9, t-11/t-10, c-12 isomers actually increase insulin sensitivity. (26-28) It’s been hypothesized that the two aforementioned CLA isomers have a unique antagonistic relationship, thus preventing any possible negative effect on insulin metabolism when used together in a 50/50 ratio. (24)

WilteredFire

WilteredFire

Awards
  • Established
In any case, I think for the money and benefits in terms of fat loss received from CLA its not worth it. Read the trans fat info a while back which really put me off it. The price vs benefit is enough to put people off though. There are lots of better options out there for the money, Sesamin appears to be better and more safer.

NutrexGuy

Awards
CLA takes a while to see any results and the high daily dose can be costly.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
A recent meta-analysis did show that CLA had a mild effect on muscle gain and fat loss, but really nothing massively significant. Nothing worth justifying the cost of the stuff IMO.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I have been stacking CLA with L-Carnatine for three months now and feel it has made a difference in body fat and muscle tone. I am not sure which of the two are doing more work, but now I am becoming hesitate on supplementing any future CLA. Looking good is important to me, but being healthy from the inside is more important.

If anyone has more research, articles or alternatives please post.

PinchTheBear

Awards
I have been stacking CLA with L-Carnatine for three months now and feel it has made a difference in body fat and muscle tone. I am not sure which of the two are doing more work, but now I am becoming hesitate on supplementing any future CLA. Looking good is important to me, but being healthy from the inside is more important.

If anyone has more research or articles please post.
Supplemental L-Carnitine will not do anything to accelerate fat loss in healthy adults.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Supplemental L-Carnitine will not do anything to accelerate fat loss in healthy adults.
I have read several articles and studies that support L-Carnatine as a great fast loss supplement. You think these are false claims> ?

PinchTheBear

Awards
I have read several articles and studies that support L-Carnatine as a great fast loss supplement. You think these are false claims> ?
Healthy adults consume and synthesize enough L-Carnitine endogenously to play a maximal first role in fatty acid oxidation. (FAs which are already freed) That's not saying carnitine supplements cannot have health benefits, because that's untrue. There are also more bioavailable forms.

WilteredFire

WilteredFire

Awards
  • Established
A recent meta-analysis did show that CLA had a mild effect on muscle gain and fat loss, but really nothing massively significant. Nothing worth justifying the cost of the stuff IMO.
Yeh, I agree. I think this is the main downfall of CLA personally. The cost doesn't justify the benefits from it.