Coumadin work-out supplements

li20784

Awards
I have been on coumadin for a DVT in my lower left leg since June. I'm only 26 and it seems a softball injury two years ago is the culprit. I will be on coumadin until December and have recently started lifting after being a couch potato for 2.5 years. I am taking protein powder in the morning and after a workout, but want something to give me a boost. My doctor said creatine is OK, but i was wondering if anyone else has been on this medication and what supplements they used for good results. Also, has anyone noticed that this med makes you winded and tired?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think you are going to find many hear on the boards on warfarin, but I may be mistaken. I am quite surprised that at your age, you are still on therapy when the risk I'd assume for dvt's should be over if the initial scare was from an injury and a pulmonary embolism should be surpassed at this point.

Warfarin is a very serious drug, that should be taken that way. I truly hope you are monitoring your INR for therapeutic levels to prevent any complications. I don't see protein powder nor creatine interfering with the effects but I would watch out for any supplements that may be high in Vitamin K, as I am sure you know why.

I would also avoid anything that has the potential to thin the blood like fish oil, ginko (I believe) etc. I would say, your best bet is to wait until you come off, or if you do start something, make sure you tell your doctors and get your INR/PT levels checked frequently after beginning.

Mike

li20784

Awards
Hi Mike.

Thanks for your feedback. I do avoid voids high in Vitamin K and i get my inr/pt checked every other week. I talked to my Dr. and he said the same thing as you, protein and creatine are fine. I am basically on the warfarin as a precautionary measure. I am going to wait to come off of it in Dec. before i take anything.

- Chris

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
I have been on coumadin for a DVT in my lower left leg since June. I'm only 26 and it seems a softball injury two years ago is the culprit. I will be on coumadin until December and have recently started lifting after being a couch potato for 2.5 years. I am taking protein powder in the morning and after a workout, but want something to give me a boost. My doctor said creatine is OK, but i was wondering if anyone else has been on this medication and what supplements they used for good results. Also, has anyone noticed that this med makes you winded and tired?
alot of supplements can interfere with blood clotting so you have to be careful. Fish oil is one of the biggest ones. resveratrol has the potential too. even some steroids can.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
alot of supplements can interfere with blood clotting so you have to be careful. Fish oil is one of the biggest ones. resveratrol has the potential too. even some steroids can.
Well look who's back on AM...

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
December is not that far away, solidify your training and diet now so your good to go come december!

Mike