Newbie Weight Loss Questions

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Newbie Weight Loss Questions

I have sat back and read numerous threads for the last month or so & decided there is an infinite amount of knowledge to be gained around here, so time to jump in and ask for advice:

I'm 39 years old, 6 foot, 240 lbs and roughly 30% BF.

7 years ago I was 200 lbs and in much better shape, but welcome to marriage, a promotion, and a good old desk job!

Being new to the forum, I really struggle to keep up with all the abbreviations. In the past, I was simply the commercial supplement junkie and yes at one point I even shopped at GNC.

Goal is to get back around 200-210 lbs and obviously cut a lot of body fat. I'm going to start the p90X program and I'm looking for supplements to help along the way. You might have to spell it out for me, but here are some of the supplements I have seen recommended on this forum:

A-T2+OEP = Heard these are great from just about everyone and figured out what they were along the way.

Do I team them up with DCP (what is it), LX (Lean Extreme), or Jack3D?

Everyone seems to recommend a multi, but do I go with Animal, Orange Triad, or ADAM (what is ADAM)?

Do I need BCAA's? and if so, recommended brand??

Anything else??

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Multi, fat burner and a good whey !
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Answers

hey buddy i did the p90x as instructed and it wasnt that good
    but then i modified it and BAM fat came off of me like crazy
    you can do this if you want, IF you WANT

monday-ab ripperx and weights, then cardio
    tuesday-plyometrics
    wednesday-ab ripperx and weights, then cardio
    thursday-plyometrics
    friday-ab ripperx and weights, then cardio
    saturday-plyometrics
    sunday- off day

if you could handle that i think that would do wonders, but this is just advise, and alpha t2 is very good stuff. also i would add the lean xtreme. for multi use the adam its the cheapest and its pretty good. if you want BCAA LG science had some called BC+AEE (i think its called that)

good luck bro
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tplay103 View Post
    I have sat back and read numerous threads for the last month or so & decided there is an infinite amount of knowledge to be gained around here, so time to jump in and ask for advice:

I'm 39 years old, 6 foot, 240 lbs and roughly 30% BF.

7 years ago I was 200 lbs and in much better shape, but welcome to marriage, a promotion, and a good old desk job!

Being new to the forum, I really struggle to keep up with all the abbreviations. In the past, I was simply the commercial supplement junkie and yes at one point I even shopped at GNC.

Goal is to get back around 200-210 lbs and obviously cut a lot of body fat. I'm going to start the p90X program and I'm looking for supplements to help along the way. You might have to spell it out for me, but here are some of the supplements I have seen recommended on this forum:

A-T2+OEP = Heard these are great from just about everyone and figured out what they were along the way.

Do I team them up with DCP (what is it), LX (Lean Extreme), or Jack3D?

Everyone seems to recommend a multi, but do I go with Animal, Orange Triad, or ADAM (what is ADAM)?

Do I need BCAA's? and if so, recommended brand??

Anything else??

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Key points:
    - 30% bodyfat
    - Goal is fat loss
    - GOING to START training

Bud, the best thing you can do is look at your NUTRITION and adjust that accordingly. Forget about looking at supplements for fat loss - they are NOT what is going to get you achieving your goal; NUTRITION (and TRAINING ) will!

I highly recommend that you read the article The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it sets EVERYthing you need to know and do re nutrition, supplements, and training re fat loss.

Yes, a multivitamin is a definite must. You can use what you want. ADAM is the NOW brand multivitmin. Orange Triad is a COMPLETE product and covers more and would be a good choice.

You do not have to use BCAAs, but they are recommended, because they can aid in recovery. There are many brands, all of whose products are good. Just a few options:
    * LG Sciences BC+EAA
    * Primordial Performance Instantized Branch Chain Amino Acids
    * NutraPlanet BCAA's
    * Optimum Nutrition BCAA 5000 Powder

Definitely since you are just about to start training, supplements should be the LEAST of your focus. And at 30% bodyfat, anything but the basic staples - creatine, multivitamin, good fats, protein, and BCAAs - are UNnecessary and a waste of time and money. Forget about fat burners and thermogenics like Alpha-T2, OEP, DCP, Lean Xtreme; and you don't need preworkouts like Jack3d. Using such supplements at 30% bodyfat would be ineffective anyways - wait until you are within a few % bodyfat of your goal body composition until you employ them, because that's when they'll be the best to use and the most effective for you.

~Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Honestly, Research has shown that a very low carb diet increases weight loss more for an obese individual. By no means is that a lifestyle change though, lifestyle changes includes small things that you should or shouldnt do throughout the day that can and should be maintainable by you.

P90X should be good for you however if your in poor cardiovascular health i highly recommend you get into a training and diet routine along with some form of cardio before diving into P90X
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Solid advice all the way through which is totally what I expected. I totally get the fact that I need to get out of the fridge and get into the gym! And in all reality, I know that it doesn't require a total life change, but simply having some discipline back in my life. Nutrition and training as stated earlier!

Thanks for all the feedback on P90X also. I'm open to any suggestions even if some feel that weight training would be better. I've seen a lot of feedback on this forum based on specifics such as age, goals, etc. so I tried to provide that information.

Sorry if I sounded like I was looking to pop some magic pill to make fat melt off. Quite the opposite. I know I gotta do the work. Just seeking opinions regarding the use of supplements during this process. Definitely don't want to spend unnecessary money.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Hi all,
    I am newbie to this forum and I am willing to reduce my weight. It really impress me that this forum really contributing a lot with valuable tips and suggestions. Let me check out few more threads . I hope i will be benefited a lot.
  8. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    Honestly, Research has shown that a very low carb diet increases weight loss more for an obese individual. By no means is that a lifestyle change though, lifestyle changes includes small things that you should or shouldnt do throughout the day that can and should be maintainable by you.

P90X should be good for you however if your in poor cardiovascular health i highly recommend you get into a training and diet routine along with some form of cardio before diving into P90X
    Agree with this entirely, your main foci for forseable period should be on:

1. Improving the quality of your diet
    2. Creating an energy deficit through a combination of training and diet
    3. Taking accurate body measures to record your progress (weight, limb girths, possibly skinfolds).
    4. Adding in supplements as the icing on the cake

Quote Originally Posted by jenifer71 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am newbie to this forum and I am willing to reduce my weight. It really impress me that this forum really contributing a lot with valuable tips and suggestions. Let me check out few more threads . I hope i will be benefited a lot.
    Welcome There's a female section if you'd prefer to post in there, but most people are pretty helpful on any section of the forums.
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jenifer71 View Post
    Hi all,
    I agree with UK, were very friendly it doesnt matter where you post youll get the help you need to reach your specific goals.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Albuterol Newbie Fat-loss Log
    By FincaChick in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
  2. A couple weight loss questions please help
    By stfdkd37 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
  3. Newbie help at trying to lose weight
    By iceman320 in forum Weight Loss