How to calm your nerves

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I just took a promo to be a supervisor at work,the only problem is every day i have to hold court and give a meeting to about 30-40 employees...public speaking is not an area i am good at,and was never taught to do so properly. Anybody else ever have to deal with "stage fright"?? Are there any meds./supps that help you deal with this type of situation?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
beta blockers work for heart rate, and xanax helps for relaxing you.

taken together i duno what would happen, never tried. usually i pop a xanny bar, and see what happens.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
yea i have the same prob..just deal with it eventually believe it or not it goes away... public speaking is a fear that is very popular even for very confident out going people..talk to the doc bout it.. tell him and he should give ya something

MrDeadlift

Awards
Yes, Beta Blockers would do the trick but I Think they are prescription only. Good relaxing supplements would also help like 5-HTP, GABA, and L-Theanine.

Check out Neuro Unwind R4 (neurounwind.com) and research the ingredients maybe it would help you. I have heard that it helps induce calmness and relaxation thus helping some people focus more with less anxiety.

Good Luck

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I've found Theanine to be helpful. Depending on how bad it is, you might think about seeing a doctor, but I tend to think most people can adapt to it just fine. Really knowing your speech/talking points and visualizing success is crucial for me. If I am passionate/know what I'm talking about, public speaking becomes a non-issue, but if I am wishy-washy on the facts, it could go bad fast.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sex always works for me

reecew

Awards
  • Established
Ill second the sex haha. Haiz made a great point. Know your sh** and have it together and be prepared for any questions possible. If your really confident in the material your speaking on that should help alot more IMO than any medication will. But phenibut is for relaxing the nerves, its been compared to have a sort of similar effect to that of valium. Its something else to research that may help you. Goodluck man.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Valerian root. Available at any health food store or large supermarket.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OTC- Valerian Root, L-Theanine

RX- Ativan, Xanax, atenolol, etc. betas and benzos

soma

soma

Awards
  • Established
I really enjoy RelaxAll by MRM - has phenibut and other relaxing ingredients.

musclehustler

musclehustler

Awards
Bro, just deal with it and be confident. If your boss thinks you can do it he must have seen something in you. Dont start poppin xanax to relax, then u will need some caffeine to wake up and its a horrible cycle that most people are in, especially on this board!

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
weed, and if you get drug tested you get fired wont have to deal with it then.. But seriously i agree with what musclehustler said.. Dont think there is a supp that cures stage fright, man up do it a few times and get use to it and it wont be a big deal, i know it sucks, speech class as a freshman in college not knowing anyone sucks as well, but after the first few speeches i was like George Bush up there.. haha

MrDeadlift

Awards
Another reason people get anxious is breathing rhythm. Make sure if you get nervous, to take a break and take a deep breath through your nose and release through your mouth. Breathing is very essential to calm you down.

Also, when talking to a large crowd, make sure you scan for a familiar face or a face that is smiling for example and talk to them directly. I find this helpful because it gives you a positive feeling and confidence.

And most importantly, make sure you have enough sleep the night before and do not take stimulants as they tend to make you more tense and jittery.

Good Luck

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
1-2 sprays of axcite right on the neck and above the lip, and just rehearse your speech with the no worries attitude.

catcat

catcat

Awards
you are nervous because you feel your value is in question

you can take pills, but they are only band-aid solutions

zachmanman

zachmanman

Awards
drink 3-4 beers or take some xanax

will be easy then

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
ashwanganda. Makes me relaxed and confident at the same time. But if i take it too many days in a row, i turn really agressive.:)

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Musclehustler is right, you shouldn't be taking anything to calm you down.

The first few meetings might be a bit scary but you will soon get used to it and settle into your new role.

If you have to do it every day you will be surprised how quickly it becomes second nature to you.

You will build your confidence and before you know it, public speaking will be a skill you can say you have :D

Good luck with the job dude

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I just took a promo to be a supervisor at work,the only problem is every day i have to hold court and give a meeting to about 30-40 employees...public speaking is not an area i am good at,and was never taught to do so properly. Anybody else ever have to deal with "stage fright"?? Are there any meds./supps that help you deal with this type of situation?
I was there few years back when I was offered to run very large project. Other than prescription meds, not sure what would be effective. But meds do wonders!

I know I struggled at first because I did not know what to do or say and I thought there were set of expectations that I was lacking.

I realized later that no one else know more than I did or they would be in that position. I was promoted because I can figure it out not because I already know how. This made things much easier for me.

I'm in the software industry. Now I work from home, working for a company out of Seattle with my team in Philippines. I do everything over the phone or via email/chat with new deadline every 6 weeks.

Just relax, the people you will manage do not know more than you do. They may look for you for direction, so just give them your best guess. Your managers know you will struggle at first, but they trusted that you can figure it out and that your judgement will be sound. You will make mistakes, we all do. But life goes on :)

Best of luck and congrats!

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
alot of awesome advice here. I'm in school and some days have to give speeches for class...my pre speech stack:

- vitamin c (3-4 grams during the day for cortisol; you are probably raising it by worrying)
- Ashwagandha
- Valerian Root
- RPN Renegade pheromone skin balm

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1-2 sprays of axcite right on the neck and above the lip, and just rehearse your speech with the no worries attitude.
AXcellent pimpin skills! lol Seriously, that would be a good option. I can't even lift when I wear the stuff because I need to tap my rage and can't. It's a viable option, and just might get ya in with any hot secretaries! :D

you are nervous because you feel your value is in question

you can take pills, but they are only band-aid solutions
Very true. Confidence is key, or some would say. Others, myself included, would go with a complete and total lack of humility. I'm a professional speaker by trade, been doing it for 7 years now, and I have no fear of any audience whatsoever. My secret? I see and treat absolutely everyone as equals, and when I'm in charge of the room, I'm slightly above them all. The "picture 'em in their undies" trick might work for some, but picturing them all as equal regardless of social/business/economic status truly works.

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
Practice and practice, don't worry about what people will think about you, it's just wasted energy that you could be using to plan out your speech. A fact that always helped me when I have to speak in front of executives for the gym I work at is that half of these people would mess up worse than me, and it's the truth. You put those people up there they are bound to make a mistake. Practice gives you the edge over anybody and experience is the only way to get used to public speaking. If you had to use a supplement Valerian Root always works for me though. Good luck dude!

Last edited: