Bizarre question about BCAA's and digestion

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Help me out fellas

I have been practically abusing BCAA's and EAA's to the peril of my wallet. Currently up to 60 grams a day ($$$$$).

Yes, they work well and do everything they claim to (big shocker). I love what these do for me first thing AM, pre/mid/ post workt out.

Here's the deal. I simply cannot digest ANY protein powders as they all lead to massive bloating, diarrhea, and indigestion. I only mix them in water and I've tried them all (whey, caseinate, egg, hydrosolate, blends, etc). I've also added digestive enzymes and ginger to no avail.

I've tried ALL the big name brands including many sponsors on this site's brands. These just plain wreck me.

I need to figure out what my deal is b/c it is a hell of a lot cheaper to get higher protein intakle from shakes than $$$-BCAA's

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Help me out fellas

I have been practically abusing BCAA's and EAA's to the peril of my wallet. Currently up to 60 grams a day ($$$$$).

Yes, they work well and do everything they claim to (big shocker). I love what these do for me first thing AM, pre/mid/ post workt out.

Here's the deal. I simply cannot digest ANY protein powders as they all lead to massive bloating, diarrhea, and indigestion. I only mix them in water and I've tried them all (whey, caseinate, egg, hydrosolate, blends, etc). I've also added digestive enzymes and ginger to no avail.

I've tried ALL the big name brands including many sponsors on this site's brands. These just plain wreck me.

I need to figure out what my deal is b/c it is a hell of a lot cheaper to get higher protein intakle from shakes than $$$-BCAA's
So ditch them. Get your protein from whole foods.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do. I already eat 5-6 smaller FOOD meals per day. I'm 215 pounds and get in about 225-250 grams from food.

I'm a low carb guy and always try to keep protein UP.

Also, 1st thing in the AM, pre/mid/post work out I just cannot have MEAT sitting in my stomach! Hence the need/objective for BCAA's or Shakes.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I do. I already eat 5-6 smaller FOOD meals per day. I'm 215 pounds and get in about 225-250 grams from food.

I'm a low carb guy and always try to keep protein UP.

Also, 1st thing in the AM, pre/mid/post work out I just cannot have MEAT sitting in my stomach! Hence the need/objective for BCAA's or Shakes.
10g BCAA pre-workout. A large meal post-workout. No need for any extra EAA.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
What type of protein did you use before? don't use concentrates stick with isolates

dropshot001

Awards
What type of protein did you use before? don't use concentrates stick with isolates
exactly.

and if you don't want to go with whey you can use something else such as gemma or beef protein

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I've never tried it, but isn't there some protein based on Goat milk or something? Maybe that would work for you?

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
The bloating is usually from the lactose. I would imagine it is in goat milk as well. I didn't look it up, but I also believe goat milk is lower in some amino acids than cow milk.

I drink lactose free milk and take isolates only because I have digestion problems with lactose. I had some yogurt the otherday spiked with milk protein (most likely concentrate) and I had horrible bloating and digestion. I had to take my digestive enzymes to help a little.

Taking BCAAs only is not sufficient since it is only 3 amino acids. And the body will probably burn some of them due to the spike in blood amino acids. Now, if the diet is high in protein from food, then there is no big deal since the body has the other amino acids. BCAAs in this case are being utilized during the workout window (pre, during, post).

Taking complete proteins from food and powders will release amino acids into the blood at a slower rate. Whey is faster than other forms, it still slower than free form amino acids and is impacted by other foods eaten during the day.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks buddy ;)

The bloating is usually from the lactose. I would imagine it is in goat milk as well. I didn't look it up, but I also believe goat milk is lower in some amino acids than cow milk.

I drink lactose free milk and take isolates only because I have digestion problems with lactose. I had some yogurt the otherday spiked with milk protein (most likely concentrate) and I had horrible bloating and digestion. I had to take my digestive enzymes to help a little.

Taking BCAAs only is not sufficient since it is only 3 amino acids. And the body will probably burn some of them due to the spike in blood amino acids. Now, if the diet is high in protein from food, then there is no big deal since the body has the other amino acids. BCAAs in this case are being utilized during the workout window (pre, during, post).

Taking complete proteins from food and powders will release amino acids into the blood at a slower rate. Whey is faster than other forms, it still slower than free form amino acids and is impacted by other foods eaten during the day.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
Try LG lipotrophic protein. I kind of liked it and could tell it digests differently.

Unclebuck

Awards
Do not confuse lactose tolerance with milk protein allergy. While some of the symptoms are the same(some of your symptoms), they are two different things. You can be allergic to both whey and casein, regardless of the lactose content. A portion of people with this allergy will also be allergic to other proteins such as eggs and soy. So this would be in line with what you have said. Also goats milk shares the same problems. If I am not mistaken,the hydrolyzed caseins are not supposed to cause an allergic response. (If this is in fact your problem). Yes, ditch most of the BCAAS except around workout time. Good luck.

Breastsqueeze

Awards
Kind of funny, seems like i have more trouble digesting more than two scoops of xtend in a day than a couple hundred grams of whey isolate.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
EAA (in liquid form) are very essential post wo. there is such a negative nitrogen balance from all the protein breakdown during lifting and after, EAA's help you go into a positive balance and become anabolic. after the PRO shake a meal is optimal. the protein from food can take up to 2hrs to hit the blood stream, so a liquid form of EAAs is needed if you are bodybuilding.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Actually that is not entirely correct. You do need amino acids in your body. The food you ate and digested prior to workout may have bigger impact than post workout nutrition.

Also, fast is not always best. Research shown whey + casein is much better than whey alone. Casein is known for its slow digestion. So the research is showed slower digestion may have as big of an impact if not arguably better impact than whey post workout. With that said, free form amino acids may not be optimal post workout.

For optimal results, you should take your protein before and after your workout.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yeah EAAs in form of whey protein, exactly