question using ssri and adding other supps.

spyder24

I recently have been diagnosed with major depression and my doctor just prescribed me with zoloft 50mg per day. I just started on it and i am not sure how im going to react to it but well see. I was just wondering in advance about adding other supps to counteract the low libido problem most ssri's have. I am going to be getting blood tests done in a few weeks possibly and hope to find out more about my test levels and other things im wondering about. I just wanted to know what anyone on here thought about adding a test/libido booster while on a ssri (zoloft 50mg/day) and also taking protein and usp labs jacked pre work out.. Any info would be great thanks.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I know several users of Activate Xtreme have used SSRIs alongside without problem, however you should ALWAYS ask your GP first.

friggin24pack

Awards
dude you should be very careful mixing meds and supplements like that. ssri's affect serotonin so i can imagine most VPX supplements would interact negatively with an ssri because most VPX supps contain 5-HTP. supplement safely n make sure u research every chem u mix.

sertraline ↔ 5-hydroxytryptophan

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

GENERALLY AVOID: Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tryptophan may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A and 2A receptors. Symptoms of the serotonin syndrome may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucinations, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, rigidity, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Yes be careful and be upfront with your doctor but something like TestoPRO or Stoked should be ok but ask the doctor 1st. DON'T mess with any products that have GABA or L-Dopa on that type of medication.