Ever tried melatonin for an evening nap?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Is it a good idea, or would it knock me out for the day?

ksa

Awards
  • Established
Sorry if i seemed hijacking your thread K. I wonder how melatonin would affect my one hour nap 12:30pm to 13:30pm. If the effect takes time to make me sleep i can take the 3mg pill half an hour b4 because sometimes i spend the whole hour trying to fall asleep. On the other hand i dont want to sleep during my afternoon shift 14:00pm to 16:00pm.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
That's actualy a pretty valid question whith relavence to what I whant to know, so your not hijacking at all.

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
From what I understand, the mechanism of action of melatonin really makes it the best to be utilized close to your normal sleep time. In fact i have read studies that suggest that melatonin will not do anything if you take it say during the day, or far off from your normal sleep cycle.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
From what I understand, the mechanism of action of melatonin really makes it the best to be utilized close to your normal sleep time.

Good post.

Your body produces melatonin to get you into a sleep state. I wouldn't want a influx in the middle of the afternoon.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Melatonin is what tells your brain it is getting dark outside and begins the natural sleep cycle. Taking mid day will begin to reset your natural circadian rhythm and possibly make it harder to fall asleep during the evening time.

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Melatonin is what tells your brain it is getting dark outside and begins the natural sleep cycle. Taking mid day will begin to reset your natural circadian rhythm and possibly make it harder to fall asleep during the evening time.
Suposedly if you take melatonin when its light outside, it simply will not work.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Suposedly if you take melatonin when its light outside, it simply will not work.
Because of the immense size of a 3mg dose as compared to the amount naturally excreted, one would most certainly an effect just because of the sheer amount of receptor saturated in the brain.

ScienceGuided

Awards
  • Established
indeed,melatonin is good for helping to get you back on track with your normal sleep cycle.

taking for a nap is not a good idea imo.

chaser103

Awards
Melatonin is also used to alleviate jet lag. I use melatonin when I travel overseas sometime to help with getting my sleeping pattern on track. Once you take a dose of melatonin, you will start to feel slighty drowsy and if it happens to be during the day, and you close your eyes, guess what.... you will fall asleep. I would not recommend taking melatonin during the day due to the fact that you will feel drowsy once you wake up about an hour later, such as during a lunch break.