megadosed vitamins?

CuriousYogurt

CuriousYogurt

Awards
So I was staring at my collection of vitamin supplements this morning while eating breakfast, and I started to wonder. Why is it that the manufacturers put way more than the daily recommendation into their vitamin pills? For example, just one of my vitamin E pills contains 1333% of the RDA recommendations. I'm sure athletes need more, but 13 times more than the average non-athlete??? And also, those vitamins that I have were not (I don't think) made specifically for athletes.

I did a search on google, but all I could come up with is basically that companies do that, but no reason as to why.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Is it because the human body can only absorb a small fraction of a vitamin pill? Or is this just a marketing trick, i.e. "the pills of company X contain more, therefore they are better"??

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
its all in one pill, minerals, vitamins, can interact/ compete with eachother, and absorbtion is different, so overcompensation comes into play.

I personally take a super multi (nothing special CVS brand) and split it up, half AFTER a workout, and half before bed.

when your body needs it most, and when your recovering.