GABA and L-Theanine

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
After reading the Pgh thread in the IGF-1/GH/Slin section, I'm curious about trying oral GABA and/or L-Theanine before bed. BAC carries both of the powders, and it wouldn't be a waste of too much money for me to try out. Do any of you have experiences with either of these, and if so what kind of doses do you use?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm a big fan of L-Theanine. I usually have to take more that what BAC recommends but its great stuff, tastes like sugar which makes me wonder, but after 30-60 minutes it makes me unwind in a very pleasant way.

Gaba works ok but I've heard the oral absortion isn't so great so you have to take like 5-10 grams but it is the same relaxing feel of theanine.

L-glutamine also causes a gaba release, 5-10 grams on an empty stomach before bed works well for me.

Try this stack;

ZMA
5 gm GABA
L-theanine
5 gm glutamine

on an empty stomach about an hour before bed.

Jay Mc

Awards
Just FYI, I used a GH stack like the one mentioned by bioman. About 5 minutes after taking the GABA I would get REALLY flushed and feel extremely short of breath for about 30-60 seconds. The first time I took it I serriously thought I was going to die. Then suddenly it stopped. My experience was I seemed to bulk a lot leaner and I would fall to sleep quicker; however, I would wake up and wouldn't really feel 'rested' and after about 2 weeks was having really bad migrains. About 2-3 days after stopping the GABA things seemed to return to normal. Also, be careful w/the ETOH as it affects the GABA pathway also, don't wanna knock out the respiratory drive....

Just my opinions and experience, hope it was helpful.

J

fiddler

Awards
Just FYI, I used a GH stack like the one mentioned by bioman. About 5 minutes after taking the GABA I would get REALLY flushed and feel extremely short of breath for about 30-60 seconds. The first time I took it I serriously thought I was going to die. Then suddenly it stopped. My experience was I seemed to bulk a lot leaner and I would fall to sleep quicker; however, I would wake up and wouldn't really feel 'rested' and after about 2 weeks was having really bad migrains. About 2-3 days after stopping the GABA things seemed to return to normal. Also, be careful w/the ETOH as it affects the GABA pathway also, don't wanna knock out the respiratory drive....

Just my opinions and experience, hope it was helpful.
sounds like too much GABA.

injected pg-h is great. not too much and certainly no effect on your stomach. slept like a rock. wake up rested...

fiddler

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Some people are very sensitive to the effects of GABA..sounds like that was the problem for Jay. Shortness of breath is a common complaint of either too much GABA or a sensitivity to it. People with anxiety problems should be careful with it. It makes my wife freak out pretty badly.

I've noticed that leaving GABA out of that stack seems to work fine if not better. I also wonder about the quality of the GABA i purchased from a local vit store..doesn't seem to work to well so that kinda negates my observations about the stack.

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
I've tried theanine and liked it alot. I found myself relaxed but mentally alert.

I've also been using milk protein hydrolysate called "cortimin" from Pure Encapsulations. It is standardized to contain some funky casein peptide and it reduces cortisol levels. Man, does that stuff relax you. That stuff just relaxes, no mental alertness going on.

I don't want to mess with GABA. I draw my line at brain chemicals, if it turns out to throw something out of whack a few years from now I don't want to be riding the short bus and drooling on myself :)

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
Mix L-Theanine and Phenibut for a very nice state of mood. Poosible booze replacement for social scene. There is a nice thread on it over at avant.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a big fan of L-Theanine. I usually have to take more that what BAC recommends but its great stuff, tastes like sugar which makes me wonder, but after 30-60 minutes it makes me unwind in a very pleasant way.

Gaba works ok but I've heard the oral absortion isn't so great so you have to take like 5-10 grams but it is the same relaxing feel of theanine.

L-glutamine also causes a gaba release, 5-10 grams on an empty stomach before bed works well for me.

Try this stack;

ZMA
5 gm GABA
L-theanine
5 gm glutamine

on an empty stomach about an hour before bed.
Actually over at mindandmuscle.net Glutamine, taurine, gaba, melatonin and possibly phenibut before bed disrupt the sleep cycle

I forget what specifically if its melatonin that it effects. ~ Search for it at mindandmuscle under melatonin if you want too.

Im thinking of trying L-theanine

any reviews on the now brand's?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GABA is one of those compounds that may be hit-or-miss for many users. It might be tricky to find the right dosage that works for one. You may want to try Picamilon, a chemical bonding of GABA and Niacin. It is effective, has low toxicity, and can be taken in doses of say 2 x 200mg per day.

L-Theanine is a rather cool and versatile compound.
Theanine constitutes about half the amino acids in tea (you get about 20-60mg per cup of tea!). Theanine gives tea its taste. L-Theanine supplementation can provide benefits such as reduced anxiety, improved cognitive abilities, neuroprotective support, improvement in mood, lowered blood pressure, reduced cholesterol levels, anti-carcinogenic and antioxidant effects, enhancement of the immune system, and weight loss.

L-Theanine's most important benefits, though, are in the area of the brain. After ingestion, L-Theanine is absorbed in the intestine and is then carried by an amino acid transporter beyond the blood-brain barrier. Structurally, L-theanine is similar to glutamic acid. This means that it competes with glutamic acid in terms of binding to glutamate receptors, thereby protecting against glutamate neurotoxicity. Furthermore, this competition with glutamic acid produces an increase in serotonin and dopamine levels in certain areas of the brain, leads to an increase in GABA, as well as an increase in the level of the so-called brain alpha wave activity (a state of being very relaxed while being awake. This is typically the state just before dropping off to sleep). The increase in alpha wave activity in the brain is measurable after about 30 minutes of L-Theanine supplementation, with the full effect setting in after about 40 minutes.
(Brain beta wave activity, on the other hand, is related to high stress periods).

Besides, L-Theanine also neutralizes the anxiety-promoting or stimulant effects of caffeine. This might help explain why green tea (which contains some caffeine but lots of theanine) also produces a relaxing and calming effect, in spite of the caffeine content.

Some students use L-Theanine while preparing for, and during, examinations. That way, they optimize their cognitive function and cut stress during the examination itself. Some professionals use it during interviews to remain calm, alert, and concentrated. As a sleep aid, it is also highly effective.

Theanine is non-toxic, even in large doses. To develop serious problems, you would need to consume 5g/kg. This translates to 500 grammes for a 100kg (210 lb) athlete!

Anyway, the recommended dose is 200 mg two to three times daily. It tastes mild and mixes well in water.

One of my favourite supplements :thumbsup:

Melatonin is also a multi-functional compound. It is very valuable for people who travel a lot and experience jet-lags; for individuals on night duty; and as a general sleep aid, especially for older folks (melatonin secretion by the pineal gland falls with age). Dosage, however, is not as clear cut as with L-Theanine. It can vary from 250mcg to about 10mg for different people. Once you get the right dosage for you, though, recuperative sleep is guaranteed :D

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I used a product called Dream tone a while back, it was really good but I don't think they make it anymore. I can get most of these in bulk so I might go that route.

Vitamin B6: 25mg
Chromium: 300mg
Bacopa monnieri extract: 400mg
Green tea extract: 250mg
Cassia nomame extract: 200mg
L-Theanine: 100mg
Coleus forskholii extract 10:1: 200mg

I can't find cassia nomame in bulk.. might up the theaine to 200mg.. maybe some HCA? Thoughts?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used a product called Dream tone a while back, it was really good but I don't think they make it anymore. I can get most of these in bulk so I might go that route.

Vitamin B6: 25mg
Chromium: 300mg
Bacopa monnieri extract: 400mg
Green tea extract: 250mg
Cassia nomame extract: 200mg
L-Theanine: 100mg
Coleus forskholii extract 10:1: 200mg

I can't find cassia nomame in bulk.. might up the theaine to 200mg.. maybe some HCA? Thoughts?
Nice blend. Would definitely add value to increase Theanine to at least 200mg. HCA would also add synergy here. Often, HCA and Chromium are combined in such blends. HCA has important glucose-modulation properties, and contributes indirectly to reduced fat accumulation. You might need up to 3gr daily. HCA reminds me, in a certain way, of Banaba Extract. Chromium is also important in insulin metabolism. The picolinate form has a very good bioavailability.

Jim Sadler

Awards
Abyss contains both ingredients. It works REALLY well as a sleep aid. I also notice more vivid dreams, but I'm not sure that's due directly to Abyss or to the quality of sleep it produces.

RickForce

RickForce

Banned
Awards
I've been using 1-2 caps of 500 mg from BB with pretty good results feeling relaxed, focused, and my sleep quality have improved alot.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only see Nows brand on Nutraplanet.com . unless I missed it are there any other L-Theanine brands on Np?

and Asainbabe heres an idea yiu work for RPN . You could ask Dsade if he could make this formula

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Does Phenibut do the same thing as what GABA does as far as increasing GH levels etc?

Does Phenibut do the same but more? Is it a combo structure type of supplement?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does Phenibut do the same thing as what GABA does as far as increasing GH levels etc?

Does Phenibut do the same but more? Is it a combo structure type of supplement?
Hello Jim.There are many threads on this here . Ill answer your question since were friends. If I can remember lolol its been a while since all of this was studied.
so Ill just post a few facts

Gaba doesnt cross the BBB(BRain Blood Barrier); Phenibut does.

Gaba increases growth hormone 550% with two grams or over for ONLY thirty minutes. The best tiem to take Gaba is before training;although, I did this for a while, I didnt like the tireness.

Maybe mix it with a stimulant(White flood has this I beleive ro white blood or whatever lol) and experiment.

I could write more but Im not one hundred percent sure about certain facts so I leave it to rest if its not sure.

L-Glutamine raises gh levels about the same way gaba does and I find it more effective, postraining especially. ou can look up the studies on PuBmed dot com.

Keep it real Homie

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I take 3-4g GABA+ 1.5g Melatonin before bed sometimes pending time i ahve to wake up in the morn. I have woken up mid night and been "groggy" as i can barley walk to the bathroom and back casue i feel like goin right back to sleep.
I add in NeuroBalance sometimes, it works even better, knocks me out quickly and efficiently.

I just put Phenibut in my cart a bit ago casue i have read good things and i do have a bit of anxiety and especially on test days at school.

I am n ot sure the stats on GABA but i did take it PreWo once and i def felt weak. Maybe try it PostWO to help relax the muscles.

GABA on empty stomach does little for me but if i have it with a shake its great.

I like the GABA rush.
Im not even sure how you would go about lookin for its effectiveness over a period of time cause i was tkaing 4g GABA every night for a week at one point and dint notice any changes.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I only see Nows brand on Nutraplanet.com . unless I missed it are there any other L-Theanine brands on Np?

and Asainbabe heres an idea yiu work for RPN . You could ask Dsade if he could make this formula
Hehe unlike some of our competitors, passing off is not really RPN's thing ;). I'll bring it up with dsade though and see if we can think about making an IMPROVED PM/night sleep/fat burner.. there seems to be a few out that work pretty well already.. what would you like to see?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hehe unlike some of our competitors, passing off is not really RPN's thing ;). I'll bring it up with dsade though and see if we can think about making an IMPROVED PM/night sleep/fat burner.. there seems to be a few out that work pretty well already.. what would you like to see?
Other than the stuff I requested on the product request list, Ill let you know when I really want something. Nothing at the moment.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just put Phenibut in my cart a bit ago casue i have read good things and i do have a bit of anxiety and especially on test days at school....
I would prefer L-Theanine to Phenibut for anxiety management and focus during tests at school. L-Theanine is a very versatile compound with extremely low toxicity. I tried to summarize some of its properties in an earlier contribution on this thread. It is a natural relaxant that cuts stress while keeping your cognitive function sharp. It produces neuro-tranquilizing effects without causing drowsiness. And it does these without any side effects whatever.

When you supplement with L-Theanine, you improve your ability to concentrate, to learn, and to remember. Theanine also raises dopamine levels. Recall that dopamine is an important brain hormone that is depleted during stress. Furthermore, Theanine increases GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) levels in your system. Recall that GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that fosters relaxation and triggers a sense of well-being. Theanine also has the fascinating property of reversing degenerative brain decline caused by glutamate-produced toxicity.

Phenibut is a useful compound, but L-Theanine would add a lot more value to you in terms of anxiety management and significant improvements in overall cognitive functioning, not to mention some of the other nice properties of L-Theanine.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I've been messing with anything that increases gaba for years.. cause that's my problem. LOW gaba. When gaba is released I feel "normal" when I don't take anything I feel nervous, social anxieties ext. GABA supplementation by itself 500mg 3x a day from douglas labs worked well for about 9 months for me. I slept good and I had awesome results in the gym. When gaba is released I can do cardio for ever.. I don't know what it is. Theanine.. i can't seem to feel the effects.In theory this looks like the best one you could take. I've taken up to 500mg of capsules and nothing. I might need to try bulk powder. I have got slightly euphoric off of authetic green tea at a asian restaurant. I had a ridiculous amount of tea and the tea bags were massive. Glutamine works well on a empty stomach.. I get quite a strong gaba release from that. Only problem is tolerance builds so quick and I have to take so much of it anymore too feel it. Phenibut is by far the best legal supplement out there and it makes me feel like a million bucks but tolerance to it builds incredibly fast. I hate that part about it and it never feels the same after each time.

Does anyone know of anything that actually re sensitizes your brains sites so that you feel like the first time or close again? I used to drink a lot of alcohol for gaba release and it messed me up for sure. Don't know if it's repairable though.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I'm in love with ABYSS, I don't feel groggy the next day at all, and that has been a problem with the few other sleep aids I have tried.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I'm in love with ABYSS, I don't feel groggy the next day at all, and that has been a problem with the few other sleep aids I have tried.

Wow.. abyss has all the goodies in there. If that don't knock you out your probably hopeless. LOL

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would prefer L-Theanine to Phenibut for anxiety management and focus during tests at school. L-Theanine is a very versatile compound with extremely low toxicity. I tried to summarize some of its properties in an earlier contribution on this thread. It is a natural relaxant that cuts stress while keeping your cognitive function sharp. It produces neuro-tranquilizing effects without causing drowsiness. And it does these without any side effects whatever.

When you supplement with L-Theanine, you improve your ability to concentrate, to learn, and to remember. Theanine also raises dopamine levels. Recall that dopamine is an important brain hormone that is depleted during stress. Furthermore, Theanine increases GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) levels in your system. Recall that GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that fosters relaxation and triggers a sense of well-being. Theanine also has the fascinating property of reversing degenerative brain decline caused by glutamate-produced toxicity.

Phenibut is a useful compound, but L-Theanine would add a lot more value to you in terms of anxiety management and significant improvements in overall cognitive functioning, not to mention some of the other nice properties of L-Theanine.
You are correct , except I found one error. You say L-Theanine increases dopamine. That is incorrect. L-Theanine increases dopamine ONLY if dopamine levels are depleted. Kind of like what Alcar does to tesostrone metabolism, Not testostrone production. Testostrone metabolism is a whole different process. Many people get this fact mixed up with Alcar.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are correct , except I found one error. You say L-Theanine increases dopamine. That is incorrect. L-Theanine increases dopamine ONLY if dopamine levels are depleted. Kind of like what Alcar does to tesostrone metabolism, Not testostrone production. Testostrone metabolism is a whole different process. Many people get this fact mixed up with Alcar.
Interesting analogy, Smeton! :)