BCAA and whey

good2Badawg

Awards
  • Established
ive never heard this asked or discussed and not real sure how to word it, but here it goes. how many grams of bcaa does it take to replace say a standard scoop of whey, lets say Nutrapro at 22g per scoop. are aminos lost in the breaking down of whey or should i just try to add the bcaa's in a scoop of whey and match it?

another related question whats everyone's thoughts on either whey or bcaa before either fasted A.M. cardio or post-workout cardio.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BCAAs are different than whey.
In a nutshell:
1) Whey is complete spectrum. BCAAs are only 3 aminos. While studies show that both are effective, "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" meaning that whey has many other components than amino acids alone that make it useful
2) BCAAs are faster acting than whey. After exercise you want the stuff propelled into your muscles as fast as possible (at least on the elite/advanced athletic level), and should consider a combination of both whey + BCAAs - perhaps a half-dose of BCAAs should be enough in this case.

in regards to your second question: don't take anything before fasted cardio, since fat loss is probably your goal. do it after cardio, because stuff in your stomach will more often than not make you not perform top-notch.

that being said, please check our website at www.truscience.com for great prices on whey, BCAAs & more.

Also NP is carrying Trutein now, which is a sustained-release combo of whey, egg & casein.

good2Badawg

Awards
  • Established
i know bcaa make up only a portion of aminos but still doesnt answer the question. also, with fasted/ post workout cardio i figure bcaas will help preserve muscle while adding no cals to be utilized for energy. plus, i really wasnt looking for a promo just some info and discussion. in all honesty, id buy from your company faster without the sales push than with it

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sorry bro but your question makes absolutely no sense to me at all
can you rephrase your Q

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Leucine has been shown to be metabolized for energy in muscles.

To compare BCAAs to whey is to compare apples to oranges. They're similar (both peptides) but different and serve different yet synergistic purposes.

It seems to me your a novice weightlifter & your best bet is to probably stick with just whey after workouts. If you're intermediate, sip on BCAAs intra-workout. The BCAAs I sell are unflavored but can be mixed with crystal light for this purpose.

good2Badawg

Awards
  • Established
let me try to be clearer. if trying to cut out calories and part of that is reducing whey intake and replacing it with bcaas is there a certain amount of bcaas needed to EFFECTIVELY replace the missing grams of protein from the diet or is it more about the macros than just the aminos.

and sorry for sounding like a jerk earlier Greg, just get tired of rep's pushing their stuff down peoples throats sometimes. not referring to you in particular just in general. i know you have to put food on the table and keep the lights on just gets a bit old in these type of forums. and id say im intermediate been lifting on the regular for about 2.5 yrs and do not claim to be a biology, kinesiology, physiology or any other -ology expert. i dont get paid for that. i just try to learn as much as possible without getting to deep into the science, there are just more important things in my life. love working out, getting stronger, healthier, and a better body but have to draw a limit somewhere to live a normal life

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my opinion u should never push out whey especially after workouts. Is very essential to feed your muscles. It would do alot more good than bad. Actually there is no bad in taking whey post. I'll add maybe 5g of ibcaa with they whey to preserve muscles and recovery.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BCAA wont replace protein bro, it is just part of it, its 3 of the 16 aminos needed.... so do yourself a favor, keep the nutrapro in stock at your house and sip your IBCAA in between meals for anabolism and recovery, you'll thank me later :)

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah bcaa cant replace protein, but bcaa by themselves do give you the benefit of preventing catabolism during caloric deficient diets

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Take 5 to 10g of BCAA before, or during your cardio/workout and another 5 to 10 post workout. The post could probably be substituted with Whey to save on money. There is no telling if it is the exact sufficient amount, but thats what I've seen from those who use it to try and preserve muscles while cutting.

good2Badawg

Awards
  • Established
im not even making myself clear or obviously not getting the context of what im asking across. i am not talking about cutting whey totally or any other protein for that matter. im talking about the occasional shake or specifically prior to cardio whether it be first thing in the morning while in the fasted state or directly after a lifting session. my thinking is bf cardio wouldn't it help to have not had the calories directly before those sessions. so, i thought might be smarter to replace the whey with bcaas only for that period of time or other short term situations not completely removing whey/protein. i may not be the brightest crayon in the lifting world but im not that dumb. but i was thinking the bcaas would provide enough temporary aminos to at least preserve if not build muscle until the next shake/meal.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
The premis is good. I don't know if there is research to support it, so you will get mixed replies. Those who tend to support the idea tend to take 5 to 10g of BCAAs. Some go even much higher. But as science and research goes, I haven't seen conclusive research personally.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
okay i think i get you but you dont need to try to replace whey with bcaa before cardio of fasted cardio you just need like 5-10 grams of bcaa thats it. 5 g of bcaa is enough to retain muscle while cutting as apposed to 25 g of whey

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
Checkout this study showing BCAA to improve protein synthesis through 2 separate pathways:

[URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19882215"BCAA[/URL]

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
Checkout this study showing BCAA to improve protein synthesis through 2 separate pathways:

BCAA

good2Badawg

Awards
  • Established
glad to get some responses that actually were about the general idea behind what i was getting at. i appreciate all the feedback. i guess i could have been clearer from the get-go but oh well. it just seems if you could fuel the muscles w/out the calories for short increments of time it would be an ideal situation while really trying to restrict or control calorie intake. especially before cardio sessions or another thing i sometimes do is hit some bcaa/eaa 1st thing in the morning and stretch that period of fasting out another 1 or 2 hrs and then load up with whey/food/both.

rocha i knew it wouldnt be a gram for gram swap with "replacing" bcaas. was just curious if there was a suggested ratio of grams of bcaa to grams of whey that had any science to back it up or even bro-science for that matter. i have been using 2 servings/ 6 scoops of the lg bcaa/eaa (9 grams i believe) most of the time in these scenarios but had no valid reason, it was just a guess.

keep the discussion going bc im interested in peoples experiences with cutting/recomp and the subbing out of bcaas and whey. id rather have some anecdotal evidence or at least informed opinions as opposed to just blindly doing my thing.

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
glad to get some responses that actually were about the general idea behind what i was getting at. i appreciate all the feedback. i guess i could have been clearer from the get-go but oh well. it just seems if you could fuel the muscles w/out the calories for short increments of time it would be an ideal situation while really trying to restrict or control calorie intake. especially before cardio sessions or another thing i sometimes do is hit some bcaa/eaa 1st thing in the morning and stretch that period of fasting out another 1 or 2 hrs and then load up with whey/food/both.

rocha i knew it wouldnt be a gram for gram swap with "replacing" bcaas. was just curious if there was a suggested ratio of grams of bcaa to grams of whey that had any science to back it up or even bro-science for that matter. i have been using 2 servings/ 6 scoops of the lg bcaa/eaa (9 grams i believe) most of the time in these scenarios but had no valid reason, it was just a guess.

keep the discussion going bc im interested in peoples experiences with cutting/recomp and the subbing out of bcaas and whey. id rather have some anecdotal evidence or at least informed opinions as opposed to just blindly doing my thing.
The study I posted shows that bcaa supplementation improves protein synthesis better than any other EAA. It'd be best to pick up some pure BCAA. I found Primordial Performance has some great priced iBCAA, I'm currently using 5g twice a day.

good2Badawg

Awards
  • Established
yea thats on my list for next purchase but like someone said above i like the idea of a more well rounded spectrum of aminos. But, i think the science we have really only gives credit to bcaas and especially leucine just as you posted. any luck trying just leucine, i know its pretty expensive though. plus i like the idea of ibcaa since they're instantized (sp?). how do they mix? lg isnt bad but doesnt disolve completely.

also, per serving i think the PP ibcaa is hard to beat price wise considering it is ajipure

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I ordered Ajinomoto IBCAA, 1lb for $30 and EAAs at 500mg each from Beverly International (DENSITY). Beverly International is pricy, but another top brand.