carbs post workout

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
okay im looking for a good fast acting powder carbohydrate that i can mix with my whey protein in my shaker as soon after im done my workout at the gym so i can get all the nutrition abosorbed into my muscles immediaely after my workout. Any recommendations to what i should purchase?

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
lol Good question, but it sounds so much like a Muscletech add I can't help but crack up!

Google insulin, and find tasty stuff that spikes it nice and high!

ecupirate

Awards
Hersey chocolate syrup and milk with added scoop of whey.

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Carb Slam by primaforce! Just bought some from Tf supplements or Nutraplanet i 4get. I like it! It mixes well with my protein shake, its flavorless but it will make your shake a little bitter, starchy, ya know. No biggie its good stuff i like and cheap! BULK IT!

Vegking

Awards
Check out what Dr Mauro Di Pasquale has to say about post workout carbs.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
okay im looking for a good fast acting powder carbohydrate that i can mix with my whey protein in my shaker as soon after im done my workout at the gym so i can get all the nutrition abosorbed into my muscles immediaely after my workout. Any recommendations to what i should purchase?
I suspect you're going to get a pretty wide array of answers, ranging from Karbo-Lyn, to Malto, to Dextrose, to WMS... personally, I feel the difference comes from gastric emptying rates, not the small few point variance you might find among the lot where GI is concerned (if focused on insulin signaling/secretion). I would much rather consume a carbohydrate source that replenishes my glycogen stores and initiates recovery WITHOUT the feeling of being pregnant for the proceeding 3-4 hours after my PWO shake (as a side note, try to avoid inferior lactose rich protein powders as well, Whey Concentrates often cause severe cramping/bloating in my experience).

If you're concentrating on pure efficacy, Vitargo would be my recommendation. However, if you're inclined to really pay attention to your budget and still reap some great results, Dextrose is basically a readily available source of glucose for the body in its native form for uptake and subsequent rapid recovery.

Good luck! :)

PS: If looking for some sort of all-in-one, VPX Stealth has been my favored post workout drink, toppling all other contenders (at least every competing brand's PWO powder I have tried).
PPS: If looking for a whole food source, I have been a long time proponent of a few sources of High-GI varieties such as cinnamon pop tarts (low fat version in order to avoid mitigating the insulin response due to simultaneous fat ingestion), Jasmine rice, Rice Cakes, Corn Flakes (extremely high GI, and can be mixed with milk as a very powerful PWO carb/protein source) and many others if you're interested.

ecupirate

Awards
I know. and it taste fantastic. I personally think a carb powder is a waste. chocolate milk with added nutrapro choc whey is very good combo that i love. cheap also..

pctforeal

Awards
  • Established
Whey alone will spike insulin for the record. Why people think they need some super sugary high potent insulin spiking supplement is beyond me. All a marketing ploy!

I wont go to deep into it but, if you wont budge, just get NOW Dextrose or NOW CarboGain. Cheap, good amount and is just dextrose or maltodextrin (carbogain).

Also some guys go a bit crazy thinking they've depleted stores in 1 small little workout. Then rush like 80g of carbs into their system. Truth is, unless you are in a depleted state where carbs are very low day in day out, then one little workout isn't going to do much in terms of depleting your stores.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Whey alone will spike insulin for the record. Why people think they need some super sugary high potent insulin spiking supplement is beyond me. All a marketing ploy!

I wont go to deep into it but, if you wont budge, just get NOW Dextrose or NOW CarboGain. Cheap, good amount and is just dextrose or maltodextrin (carbogain).

Also some guys go a bit crazy thinking they've depleted stores in 1 small little workout. Then rush like 80g of carbs into their system. Truth is, unless you are in a depleted state where carbs are very low day in day out, then one little workout isn't going to do much in terms of depleting your stores.
There is a lot of truth in your post. For certain situations or goals, I truly believe simply relying on the insulin secretion stimulated by Whey post workout would not suffice (even if adding L-Leucine to the mix). I should note however, that I have been taking 12iu of Humulin-R post workout for slightly over a month, so my carbohydrate needs are heightened (and I also take very effective OTC GDAs)

pctforeal

Awards
  • Established
Totally agree, goal dependant. If you have limitations or needs or are simply looking to bulk where demands are highest upon waking, pre and post, then numbers like I mentioned are doable. But...I see so many of the non-above, or those who simply do not need it (its just what they read hence the marketing ploy) slamming like 80g of wms postworkout.

Someone like yourself outstanding is definately in need of the surplus when supplementing with what you are. The threshold for spillover is almost non-existent :)
Do you use a glucometer?

pctforeal

Awards
  • Established
Why people still choose useless calories just to spike insulin or use as a tool in their diet for whatever it be is beyond me. Why not choose a white potato without the skin?

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Totally agree, goal dependant. If you have limitations or needs or are simply looking to bulk where demands are highest upon waking, pre and post, then numbers like I mentioned are doable. But...I see so many of the non-above, or those who simply do not need it (its just what they read hence the marketing ploy) slamming like 80g of wms postworkout.

Someone like yourself outstanding is definately in need of the surplus when supplementing with what you are. The threshold for spillover is almost non-existent :)
Do you use a glucometer?
Your nutritional theories regarding highest carb intake upon waking, pre and post workout are nearly a clone of my own philosophies and practices; except I also ingest a fairly high carbohydrate/GI meal "post-post" workout since Humulin-R peaks around hour 2 post injection.

Also, I do not use a Glucometer, but I would like to track and record all the data I can - this is something I should seriously consider and research.

muscl3s

muscl3s

Banned
Awards
  • Established
chocolate covered gummi bears ftw