CARBS Only POST WRKOUT? OR Every day?

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Hello i just bought a bulk tub of PrimaForce's Carb slam. On the tub it says just to take 1-2 servings post workout. 1serving=30carbs. Doesnt say anything about non training days. Is this best? I was thinking non training days carbs would be beneficial as well cause im recovering. And what should my daily Carb intake be? Someone told me to try and take in 200grams a day, is this accurate? I weigh 200lbs. 5"11 15%bf. Thanks!@

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
only post
unless you wnna get fat?
i think a healthy carb intake should be somewhere from 150-200 if your not dieting.
idk maybe im dumb and cheap but if you wanted glycogen why wouldnt you just add sugar to your protein?

jcr1

Banned
Awards
No id rather not get fat. Im lean and i eat clean. So ur saying about 150 grams per day ONLY on training days then?

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No id rather not get fat. Im lean and i eat clean. So ur saying about 150 grams per day ONLY on training days then?
from food, i didnt mean from carb slam.
from carb slam just add a serving after workouts only, like i said before though sugar would have been just as good for post

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Total calorie intake is more important for dictating what will happen with your body. I am assuming you want lean gains, so you need to workout the level of calories it takes for you to maintain weight, and then add about 300kcals on top of that per day. This should be done with your total diet, not just by adding more carb powders btw.

Save the carbslam for post-workout only, and let your diet do the rest.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
Too many people on these forums are carb haters. You guys are aware that the RDA for carbs is 300g right? And to drain glycogen stores they say to eat sub 100? SO if youre eating 150 a day its going to take you a trip to space and back to gain some LBM unless you are VERY carb sesitive and on the juice. Just make sure that your carb sources are complex carbs and only come from simple carbs post workout. Whole grain, whole wheat, brown rice and pasta's, yams ect. (post workout use gatorade or white bread, or a white potato without the skin) the skin has fiber and slows digestin.

And NEVER should you have carbs only post workout..Come on fellows, lets get on the nutrtion bandwagon! Read some text!!

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Too many people on these forums are carb haters. You guys are aware that the RDA for carbs is 300g right? And to drain glycogen stores they say to eat sub 100? SO if youre eating 150 a day its going to take you a trip to space and back to gain some LBM unless you are VERY carb sesitive and on the juice. Just make sure that your carb sources are complex carbs and only come from simple carbs post workout. Whole grain, whole wheat, brown rice and pasta's, yams ect. (post workout use gatorade or white bread, or a white potato without the skin) the skin has fiber and slows digestin.

And NEVER should you have carbs only post workout..Come on fellows, lets get on the nutrtion bandwagon! Read some text!!
Carbohydrates are not essential nutrients, therefore while the government may have (grossly outdated?) views on recommended daily intakes, daily intake of carbohydrate is not necessary given sufficient protein.

I am not a carb-hater, but you've written a lot of broscience there. Total calories matter.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
Search RDA's and tell me thats outdate bro science???? :liar:

Further more, how bout you tell me more about my bro science pal? You mean like simple carbs post workout to raise insulin levels and restore glycogen stores????

Or complex carbs to keep insulin levels low through other parts of the day. Do me a favor and pick up a book. Feel free to keep up with your daily carb intake and i'll keep up with mine and have fun gaining a .25 inch of your body parts yearly.

Lastly, OUTDATED? Look at the back of a ****ing nutrition label and do the math. I assure you its not an OUTDATED RDA.

Cheers.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Oh no he didn't! (snaps fingers in shape of triangle)

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Ummm.. Im outta this!!But Robboe yeah i got that, my calorie intake is 300-500 over maintenance. Im good on the carb intake i take in natural carbs everyday. I was just wondering if the suggested use label on Priaforce's carb slam was spot on.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
A lot of government-recommended RDAs are based on outdated knowledge from the 70's and 80's.

Further more, how bout you tell me more about my bro science pal? You mean like simple carbs post workout to raise insulin levels and restore glycogen stores????
Replenishing glycogen is fine, but simple carbs post-exercise are not a necessity. Anytime you eat protein or carbs you illicit an insulin response. You don't need to focus on simple sugars to have that effect.

Or complex carbs to keep insulin levels low through other parts of the day. Do me a favor and pick up a book. Feel free to keep up with your daily carb intake and i'll keep up with mine and have fun gaining a .25 inch of your body parts yearly.
Want to keep insulin levels low? Fast.

Lastly, OUTDATED? Look at the back of a ****ing nutrition label and do the math. I assure you its not an OUTDATED RDA.

Cheers.
I'll say it again, carbohydrates are not essential nutrients. And you have to laugh that the RDA is a generic 300g for every one. And 2500kcals is the recommended daily calorie intake for every man, regardless of body type.

UKStrength

Can I just add something to the mix here and possibly reduce the bickering?

You're both right, Robboe stated that carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient per say this is true, that the body can create glucose from other nutrients to maintain plasma glucose levels.

However, TravisG is also correct in that this does not mean that the human body works optimally in a low carbohydrate environment. From an athletic performance aspect, restoring glycogen levels is paramount, hence athletes are often prescribed ridiculous carbohydrate intakes (>8g/kg/lean body mass per day). Few ever make this amount (more likely 6-7g per kg at best) and walk about in a depleted state, but carbohydrate intake is not the be-all and end-all of athletic performance.

So it all depends on your goals, for recreational training and bodybuilding (1 hour per day) 2-3g/kg LBM/day in carbohydrates is fine (works out at 200-250g/day for most people) and does NOT need to be taken postworkout to restore glycogen stores, it can be replenished over the course of the day. Some may even propose that restricting carbohydrates at this time is better for GH release, which would lead to reduced glycogen re-sythesis but greater fat burning over the rest of the day, leading to (in theory) a better overall body composition.

I bboy and like to take part in recreational sport, so overall performance is pretty key for me. Under these circumstances, I do take my CHO post-workout and/or during training and push my overall CHO intake higher to 4-5g/kgLBM/day.

So to the OP - Just take your CarbSlam post-training ;)

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
So it all depends on your goals, for recreational training and bodybuilding (1 hour per day) 2-3g/kg LBM/day in carbohydrates is fine (works out at 200-250g/day for most people) and does NOT need to be taken postworkout to restore glycogen stores, it can be replenished over the course of the day. Some may even propose that restricting carbohydrates at this time is better for GH release, which would lead to reduced glycogen re-sythesis but greater fat burning over the rest of the day, leading to (in theory) a better overall body composition.
Just so no one thinks i am a low-carb or paleo quack, i am pro-carbs post-workout. In fact, i have quite a lot of calories post-workout.

UKStrength

U said it!!
Haha, cheers mate ;)

Just so no one thinks i am a low-carb or paleo quack, i am pro-carbs post-workout. In fact, i have quite a lot of calories post-workout.
Fair enough, 1g/kgLBM of carbs is usually optimal for glycogen repletion in most people, the type is usually dependent on what camp you're in :) I really like a combination of WMS and Dextrose so Carb Slam would be ideal, but if you were eating soon after training (<45mins) then it's possibly not needed.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Haha, cheers mate ;)

Fair enough, 1g/kgLBM of carbs is usually optimal for glycogen repletion in most people, the type is usually dependent on what camp you're in :) I really like a combination of WMS and Dextrose so Carb Slam would be ideal, but if you were eating soon after training (<45mins) then it's possibly not needed.
The type of training you're doing would also have some bearing on how much would be required. E.g. Someone engaging in a higher volume program would require a higher intake than someone on a lower volume program.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Cheers.

RDA.. RDA...

You're looking at the FDA for your nutrition guide? Good luck. lmfao...

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is stupid arguement! Yeh carbs may not be essential to keep you alive( they are are needed to keep your head feeling right. Otherwise you need mineral supplements) they are extremely important to body builders ALL day not just pre and post workout. Eat whatever type of carbs you want as long as they are somewhat balanced( not all sugar).

Robbe have you ever read any of Alan aragons articles? Sounds like you need too so you can learn a balanced view of nutrition. Guys there's alot of latitude when it comes to nutrition, but all this carb timeing, slam a shake within 10 seconds of your last set, maintain low insulin levels is crap. Your body will grow no matter what if you hit your daily macros and workout hard.

End thread/

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

no its not really 300 ... thats a general number its i believe 129 or 131 whatever it is to keep you out of ketosis, the rest comes from the caloric needs that need to be met after the DRI for protein and fat are met they figure.... hey now lets just add an tremendous amoun of carbs to off set the bull**** the ADA laid out.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
no its not really 300 ... thats a general number its i believe 129 or 131 whatever it is to keep you out of ketosis, the rest comes from the caloric needs that need to be met after the DRI for protein and fat are met they figure.... hey now lets just add an tremendous amoun of carbs to off set the bull**** the ADA laid out.
you saying 129 or above will put me out of ketosis?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you saying 129 or above will put me out of ketosis?
according to ADA you need to eat at that amount or above to stay out of ketosis,

There is hardly dietary need for carbohydrates (STARCHY ONES), if you have a multi, and balanced diet otherwise.

Unless your an endurance athlete no need, and infact ketones have been shown to be a better respitory fuel as well as brain fuel since supplies are unlimited.

thats why wen your on low carb diet you may feel "foggy" at times, when you body is confused with what to use,.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
according to ADA you need to eat at that amount or above to stay out of ketosis,

There is hardly dietary need for carbohydrates (STARCHY ONES), if you have a multi, and balanced diet otherwise.

Unless your an endurance athlete no need, and infact ketones have been shown to be a better respitory fuel as well as brain fuel since supplies are unlimited.

thats why wen your on low carb diet you may feel "foggy" at times, when you body is confused with what to use,.
sorry for this upcoming stupid Q but whats a starchy carb? idk what it is

so ketones are better for endurance and brain? ketones are unlimited on a low carb diet?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
sorry for this upcoming stupid Q but whats a starchy carb? idk what it is

so ketones are better for endurance and brain? ketones are unlimited on a low carb diet?
ketones are converted from fatty acids and acetyl CoA

starchy carb is something like a potato bread, pasta, ect.

other carbs are fiberous and usually are fruit (not all), and veggies.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
bottom line......this will always be debated lol my opinion however is that if you re trying to lean out then you can keep carbs a little lower but if you want full muscles and a lil more energy/strength up the cars. At 200lbs i see no reason why u shoul dbe under 200 carbs i mean i take in 200-250 g carbs and im only like 130 and ive stll been told plenty of tiems to eat more carbs sooooo i would say to stay around 200-250 at teh bare minimum for fat loss at your weight. just my 2 cents but liek i said, this will always be highly debated.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
fat loss is relative, muscle preservation is another thing,

id rather be on a keto diet, then a lower carb diet which have shown to decrease T levels and increase stress hormorn and increase the rate of catabolism.

low carb catagorized by 30% intake of carbohydrates.

Ketones spare muscle tissue, end of story.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

id rather be on a keto diet, then a lower carb diet which have shown to decrease T levels and increase stress hormorn and increase the rate of catabolism.

how low carbs diet are we talking?
so the no carbs is better when compared to low carbs?
keto is no carbs high fat moderate protein right?
so you saying kerto would be better than moederate carbs moderate fat and moedrate protein?

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established

so does protein son! A high protein diet, whether ITs combined with low carbs, fats, or both is what really preserves muscle mass, which in turn preserves strength.
My bro, dad and myself have all done lyle's PSMF (nearly no carbs or fats) just around 225 g of protein or a little more, and managed to keep almost 100 percent muscle mass. Strength stayed the same or dropped maybe 1-2 reps tops mainly because of energy. Glucose pills and a Gatorade durring workout help keep energy up.

The people who complain about losing muscle mass while dieting are the ones who can't fight the lower calorie workouts. If you eat enough protein and workout hard, with enough volume as while, you will no lose muscle or strength.

And why are we talking dieting? The OP wanted to know for general weightlifting nutrition not weit loss right?

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so does protein son! A high protein diet, whether ITs combined with low carbs, fats, or both is what really preserves muscle mass, which in turn preserves strength.
My bro, dad and myself have all done lyle's PSMF (nearly no carbs or fats) just around 225 g of protein or a little more, and managed to keep almost 100 percent muscle mass. Strength stayed the same or dropped maybe 1-2 reps tops mainly because of energy. Glucose pills and a Gatorade durring workout help keep energy up.

The people who complain about losing muscle mass while dieting are the ones who can't fight the lower calorie workouts. If you eat enough protein and workout hard, with enough volume as while, you will no lose muscle or strength.

And why are we talking dieting? The OP wanted to know for general weightlifting nutrition not weit loss right?
even if protein is high on calorie deficit diets its almost inevitable to preserve all muscle most of it yes but not all of it

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Thats correct, but this thread took on a new life! My question was answered a loooong time ago! Thats cool, ill take the rep. points!~^ :)

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
even if protein is high on calorie deficit diets its almost inevitable to preserve all muscle most of it yes but not all of it
You can preserve nearly all if you follow lyle mcdonalds workout recs. Do 6-8 sets heavy, 6-8 reps. Leave one real tough rep in the tank. Not trying to tear your muscles up where it's hard to repair but just keep the strength up. Oviously the more strength you hang on to the more muscle you hang on to. Workout each body part 2 times a week and don't allow yourself to lose more than 2 reps on any excersie now matter how much will power it takes.
It's that simple, at least from my experiance.

TxHomeGrown

Awards
I'd take two servings post, with protein. I've never used WMS but it's meant to be taken post workout with protein.

Eat complex carbs, if you aren't gaining weight then add more. Your body is a machine, fuel it.

DrAbs989

Awards
Hello i just bought a bulk tub of PrimaForce's Carb slam. On the tub it says just to take 1-2 servings post workout. 1serving=30carbs. Doesnt say anything about non training days. Is this best? I was thinking non training days carbs would be beneficial as well cause im recovering. And what should my daily Carb intake be? Someone told me to try and take in 200grams a day, is this accurate? I weigh 200lbs. 5"11 15%bf. Thanks!@

Haha, cheers mate ;)

Thats correct, but this thread took on a new life! My question was answered a loooong time ago! Thats cool, ill take the rep. points!~^ :)
@ OP: i agree with UKStrength on this one, i usually go for 20g carb slam + 20g dextrose mixed in my WPI (25-30g) p.w.o shake, & this done year-round regardless of whether i'm trying to bulk or cut.
i never really liked the 2:1 carb to protein ratio recommended by some. if you really wanna see this stuff do something amazing, take 1 cap of like anabolic pump/pslin/slin-sane or anything similar, wait 15 mins, then down a mix of WMS (30-60g) mixed in some juice. insane pumps !

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Robbe have you ever read any of Alan aragons articles? Sounds like you need too so you can learn a balanced view of nutrition. Guys there's alot of latitude when it comes to nutrition, but all this carb timeing, slam a shake within 10 seconds of your last set, maintain low insulin levels is crap. Your body will grow no matter what if you hit your daily macros and workout hard.

End thread/
I've been reading Alan's stuff for years. In fact, my first sentence in this thread was "Total calorie intake is more important for dictating what will happen with your body." I am not a low carb quack or a paleo-tard.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been reading Alan's stuff for years. In fact, my first sentence in this thread was "Total calorie intake is more important for dictating what will happen with your body." I am not a low carb quack or a paleo-tard.
Oh than i appologize. I got the opposite impression from your firs post. I total agree cal in vers cal out is really what matters.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

please show me your research, because i have 2 articles that show that low carb doesnt preserve muscle the way ketones do, and that fat burns in an AMINO acid flame.

heres one...
Lane, AR, Duke, JW, Hackney, AC. Influence of dietary carbohydrate intake on the free testosterone: cortisol ratio responses to short-term intensive exercise training. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 2010; 108(6):1125-1131

heres the other
http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=abstract&id=241845

just know excess protein is converted to acetyl CoA and then to fatty acids.

purebred

Replenishing glycogen is fine, but simple carbs post-exercise are not a necessity. Anytime you eat protein or carbs you illicit an insulin response. You don't need to focus on simple sugars to have that effect.
For the sake of playing devil's avocado, an insulin response does equate an insulin spike. Isn't this what many are after PWO due to the benefits of high amounts of insulin spike? Am I even using the right terminology? :sad6:

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
just because protein is high doesnt mean anything. if you hit an excess you risk the gluconeogenic amino acids converting to glucose, as well as acetyl CoA for fatty acid synthesis.

i dont know where you get all your information from. yes high protein, but excessivly high defeats the purpose.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For the sake of playing devil's avocado, an insulin response does equate an insulin spike. Isn't this what many are after PWO due to the benefits of high amounts of insulin spike? Am I even using the right terminology? :sad6:
you dont need insuline to activate glut 4 and thus amino acid uptake,

Glut4 and 1 are upregulated through exercise, and adding carbs post workout unless your training again later is redundant. no carbs post workout and then wait till next meal or pre next workout for carbs.

and to the above poster, Whey isolate provides more of an insulin spike then any other whey product, so it may not be best choice during the meal replacements, but post workout is where it should be.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh than i appologize. I got the opposite impression from your firs post. I total agree cal in vers cal out is really what matters.
all calories are NOT created equal as they all have a different responce on ones body,

eat over maintence with protein and fat, watch yourself get leaner and lose weight, do the same with all 3 macros, and gain weight..

just sayin

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
you dont need insuline to activate glut 4 and thus amino acid uptake,

Glut4 and 1 are upregulated through exercise, and adding carbs post workout unless your training again later is redundant. no carbs post workout and then wait till next meal or pre next workout for carbs.
Aren't GLUT1 always present? They are concentrated highly in the blood brain barrier, which makes sense as it means that the brain gets dibs on any incoming glucose. Its also why insulin is necessary, otherwise the brain would drown in sugar.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Aren't GLUT1 always present? They are concentrated highly in the blood brain barrier, which makes sense as it means that the brain gets dibs on any incoming glucose. Its also why insulin is necessary, otherwise the brain would drown in sugar.
yes they are, however uptake is present during exersice and ALA supplementation.

insulin isnt always necessary, due to GLUT 4 activation in skelatal muscle during exercise.

other Glucose transporters dont NEED insulin, hence why you can see microvascular problems in diabetics, the sugar is still absorbed without the presence of insulin.

purebred

Glut4 and 1 are upregulated through exercise, and adding carbs post workout unless your training again later is redundant.
Another scenario during which I could see someone adding carbs to their PWO shake (if they take one) would be if they're bulking. I imagine a nice egg white protein/WPI blend would do nice with some vanilla soy milk and powdered oatmeal then follow that up about 60-90 min with a nice juicy :burger: right off the grill. :thumbsup:

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Another scenario during which I could see someone adding carbs to their PWO shake (if they take one) would be if they're bulking. I imagine a nice egg white protein/WPI blend would do nice with some vanilla soy milk and powdered oatmeal <3

LOL
bulking there are only a few times you Want carbs, pre, post and post post.

anything else should be met by protein and fat.

and technically you can deal without pre and post post,

if yorur looking for a lean bulk carbs PWO and protein fat all other meals but HIGH fat, and HIGHish protein.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys are aware that the RDA for carbs is 300g right?
And you're aware that the RDA was established by the department of agriculture? Whose primary crops they are responsible for are hmm oh I dunno carbs? Thats why the food pyramid is so screwball as well.

There are essential amino acids
There are essential fatty acids
There are no essential carbs.

Ketosis diets are set up even for children who experience seizures to lessen the seizures and they generally are set up at less than 50g of carbs a day.

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/treatment_ketogenic_diet

So no, carbs aren't necessary. Are they good and handy? Sure as they make up generalized calories. But thats really it. I'm not going to get 3200 calories from all protein + fat sources, its a pain and no fun. But the idea of slamming 100g of dextrose down postworkout to "activate the anabolic window" is ludicrous.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And you're aware that the RDA was established by the department of agriculture? Whose primary crops they are responsible for are hmm oh I dunno carbs? Thats why the food pyramid is so screwball as well.

Ketosis diets are set up even for children who experience seizures to lessen the seizures and they generally are set up at less than 50g of carbs a day.

So no, carbs aren't necessary. Are they good and handy? Sure as they make up generalized calories. But thats really it. I'm not going to get 3200 calories from all protein + fat sources, its a pain and no fun. But the idea of slamming 100g of dextrose down postworkout to "activate the anabolic window" is ludicrous.
chicka chicka YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA

mclovin

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Carbs do play a role in fitness, and people should have carbs in their diet for various reasons. The amount however is subject for discussion.

Bill Starr, which most are familiar with his 5x5 program, is carbs hater. He however still recommends 0.5g/lb, or 100g of carbs for 200lb athlete. He also states that you are going to get them easily as part of your protein intake since Milk for example, also has cabs in it.

The following articles/research talk in details about protein and carbs roles in athletes (hopefully I can post links here)

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/32/11/2217.pdf
http://www.purdue.edu/swo/healthshop/nutrition/HealthyWeightGain/ProteinReqAndSupplInStrengthSports.pdf

purebred

bulking there are only a few times you Want carbs, pre, post and post post.

anything else should be met by protein and fat.
So instead of the usual protein source with say, rice or potatoes, what would you suggest as a fat source (just to name a few?)

Well-said. :goodpost: Your deduction(s) is quite logical. I can vibe LOL