OTC protein

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't know there was a black market for protein?

Dirty music

Awards
  • Established
you'll gotta get with the times and get that prescription protein,just make sure you dont drive on it or mix with alcohol

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use OTC as a genreal term stuff you buy at the store like muscle milk etc. The main stream stuff. ON,met rx etc.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For example life extention is not OTC you order direct from them.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but it is OTC because you don't need to have a doctor write a prescription to buy it...

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
And what is it if you can buy it at a store AND online?

xxmike171xx

Awards
oh wow, I never realized OTC protein shakes would have lead or mercury at that...scary

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
OTC? As opposed to Rx?
Oh yeah, haven't you heard of ALRI's new super duper 'human' protein (rolls eyes). Scott is always up to something... oops, I mean "Author L Rea." His long defunct company HM-Gear (Hazardous Materials) came out with an iteration of human protein ten years ago. I would sincerely suggest the members here listen to this week's Heavy Muscle Radio (HMR) show over at RX Muscle, with Scott as their guest. Listening to him attempt to fill a 15 minute segment with his motor-mouthed incoherent rambling was like enduring an auctioneer for 24 hours on end.

Yes, several recurring studies are published annually by various media outlets measuring arsenic, poisons, heavy metals, and other contaminants that find their 'whey' into our protein (always with the usual gasp-inducing rubber necking headlines to grab your attention and elicit shock and horror).

Fact is, in a largely unregulated industry where quite literally a company can encapsulate dextrose and list 18 sports specific nutraceuticals on the label and demand a significant portion of your paycheck for it... this will continue to plague the consumers.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
8lbs of chicken $22
5lbs of protein $30-50

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but chicken is only available OTC...
Haaa! "Yeah doc... I just have been feeling really down lately. Always tired, depressed, I have no sex drive... I feel like I'm even getting weaker and losing muscle mass. I was wondering if you could prescribe me some Test-Cypio..... er, I mean, chicken breast therapy?"

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
8lbs of chicken $22
5lbs of protein $30-50
nothing beats the natural source, but in your comparison,

8lbs of chicken equal what?.. 20-30 servings?

5lbs of protein equals 70+ servings...

just playing devil's advocate :sgrin:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And considering the quality of chicken nowadays...

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but chicken is only available OTC...
not true, I have rx chicken, and ive turned it into a homebrew transdermal

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im sure glad I don't take any OTC protein such as bsn, ON, natures made, cyto sport etc. Protein shakes may contain harmful ingredients | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 Connects what I use is tested to be safe with no contaminants. This is what I have been telling john this whole time.
The conclusion is may. So many companies make up hogwash to scare the consumer in buying their product and I think it is pathetic.

The testing procedures always tell the truth and if enough people are getting an impact if you want to go by anecdotal evidence it may be worth a shot.

I use OTC as a genreal term stuff you buy at the store like muscle milk etc. The main stream stuff. ON,met rx etc.
There is also people out there saying muscle milk has lead it . I do not feel like pulling up the post if your interested though

http://www.prohormoneforum.com/q-patrick-arnold/32005-lead-my-muscle-milk.html

who's John?
Present

Yeah but it is OTC because you don't need to have a doctor write a prescription to buy it...
Good Insight

8lbs of chicken $22
5lbs of protein $30-50
I agree whole food is much better for muscle growth.Unfortunately with the amounts of food it takes to get large it would for very time consuming so shakes are necessary, especially in the "off-season" and Bcaa's, like RecoverPro, which is making life easier, and shakes do a good job as well.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
nothing beats the natural source, but in your comparison,

8lbs of chicken equal what?.. 20-30 servings?

5lbs of protein equals 70+ servings...

just playing devil's advocate :sgrin:
Not arguign here but...

I agree w/ the chicken like ~20 servings

protein would be like 60 servings at 1 scoops / 25g but 99% of peole use 2 so 30servings.

shakes are convienent tho, cant always cook up a chicken breast in your car haha

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Not arguign here but...

I agree w/ the chicken like ~20 servings

protein would be like 60 servings at 1 scoops / 25g but 99% of peole use 2 so 30servings.

shakes are convienent tho, cant always cook up a chicken breast in your car haha
120 degrees here, I could throw one up on my dash, bet its more like 150 parked in the sun :D

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I agree whole food is much better for muscle growth.Unfortunately with the amounts of food it takes to get large it would for very time consuming so shakes are necessary, especially in the "off-season" and Bcaa's, like RecoverPro, which is making life easier, and shakes do a good job as well.
Although I am inclined to support your assertion about whole food's superior anabolic potential when compared to whey powdered sources, the concentration of amino acids, rapidity of digestion, and the ability to explicitly control serving sizes and macro nutrient content of meals all add up to demonstrate whey's staying power and worthiness.

Also, within the entire vast body of science and research that has been conducted on human protein metabolism and nitrogen retention, there has yet to be a single study that can validate and quantify whole food as being more efficient and proliferative with regards to amino acid pool replenishment, nitrogen balance, catabolic avoidance, and recuperative ability.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Although I am inclined to support your assertion about whole food's superior anabolic potential when compared to whey powdered sources, the concentration of amino acids, rapidity of digestion, and the ability to explicitly control serving sizes and macro nutrient content of meals all add up to demonstrate whey's staying power and worthiness.

Also, within the entire vast body of science and research that has been conducted on human protein metabolism and nitrogen retention, there has yet to be a single study that can validate and quantify whole food as being more efficient and proliferative with regards to amino acid pool replenishment, nitrogen balance, catabolic avoidance, and recuperative ability.
My point is you need both. Chicken, eggs,fish, beef whey all have different amino acids that the body takes in a certain percentage.

egg I belive absorbs like 98 %
then whey like close to egg
then beef
then chicken then fish
etc

that means the body takes in a higher percent of protein on certain foods.

although beans have a lot of protein the protein absorbed is less than like 70 %

did you know this Outstanding? It has been proven though scientific testing

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Meat actually takes the longest to digest. Soy being actually shorter in amino acid chain making it easy on the stomach. I love my soy protein. I take it every morning. The PDCAA and BV on soy at least the soy Im taking is close to 100% perfect. Also remember the FDA and NSF gives guidelines saying you can have some amount of harmful ingredients and still be able to sell so endless they are checking or actually taking out the bad parts they can still legally sell it as long as theres a warming label on it.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Meat actually takes the longest to digest. Soy being actually shorter in amino acid chain making it easy on the stomach. I love my soy protein. I take it every morning. The PDCAA and BV on soy at least the soy Im taking is close to 100% perfect. Also remember the FDA and NSF gives guidelines saying you can have some amount of harmful ingredients and still be able to sell so endless they are checking or actually taking out the bad parts they can still legally sell it as long as theres a warming label on it.
I know meat is harder on the stomach or harder to digest. I am talking about the percentage of net protein Utilization.The body absorbs generally more of the protein from meats for muscle building.

Here is a chart showing what percentage of that protein the body is actually able to use for building muscle

Food %Net Protein Utilization
Eggs(whole) 94
Milk 82
Fish 80
Cheese 70
brown rice 70
Meat and fowl 68
soybean flour 61
(Whey, a milk derivative, which is a refined product, has even more net protein than eggs)

as you can see some foods are better for building muscle by the amount of protein percentage it uses to build muscle. So there is a big difference
between how much protein a food contains and how much of that protein you can actually use to build muscle.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Valid point John.
Also the meat your refuring to is raw meat not cooked meat. Once cooked past 60 degrees the BV and PDCAA goes down big time.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Valid point John.
Also the meat your refuring to is raw meat not cooked meat. Once cooked past 60 degrees the BV and PDCAA goes down big time.
Valid point James.

I do not know if Arnold Schwarzenegger is referring to cooked or raw in this book. I got this information back when I first got into bodybuilding over eight years ago when I bought his book, The modern encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding,which I still look up stuff and has helped me over the years, and continues to help me. He was ahead of his time as well.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is one thing about the workout maxamizer and the ESP I am taking no heat involved. Listen to super human radio on raw diet. They discuess about meat that gets heated is useless. I think its http://www.superhumanradio.com/super-human-radio-show/440-raw-food-follow-up.html one
or this one http://www.superhumanradio.com/super-human-radio-show/434-best-of-the-original-raw-food-show.html not sure but one of them talked about cooking meat destroys the amino acids and that if one is going to consume meat try to not cook it to high.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This goes back to the old question of cooking the egg or eating it raw.

Cooking the egg DOES denature (not destroy) proteins. However, the amino acids are what we use anyways from the egg (not whole proteins) and they remain in tact. I'm sure the same applies to meat. Protein is known to denature at high temps but that doesn't mean the amino acids become useless or are destroyed.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So the question I ask is if I burn my finger with the highest degree burn cam I use it or is if useless and I have no feeling. To a certain degree it's not useless but it is not 100% functional ether. That's how I look at meat.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
So the question I ask is if I burn my finger with the highest degree burn cam I use it or is if useless and I have no feeling. To a certain degree it's not useless but it is not 100% functional ether. That's how I look at meat.
3rd Degree burn = nerve damage and it would probably be amputated, and totally useless.

Nothing is 100% funtional in terms of protein anyway. Hell, most nutrients, if not all, your body will only use a fraction of what you put in it, and you piss the rest out.

I really do want someone to invent a food that is 100% functional to the body though...I would love so much to never have to crap/urinate again :) so much time would be saved!

I guess my point is you shouldn't discount meat just because cooking it decreses the amount of usable proteins...meat is delicious, and everyone gets some form of aminos elsewhere, drinking them during workout, lots of whey has aminos, pills, etc.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
that means the body takes in a higher percent of protein on certain foods.

although beans have a lot of protein the protein absorbed is less than like 70 %

did you know this Outstanding? It has been proven though scientific testing
You're asking if I'm familiar with the advent and quantification of the measured varying biological assimilation (BV) efficiencies between protein sources in vivo?

No... never heard of it - fill me in ;)

In all seriousness though... I didn't engage in any discourse involving utilization rates, I was merely stating that whey protein's proficiency cannot be overstated and has been repeatedly demonstrated to be a superior proliferative source for achieving all anabolic markers in comparison to whole food. Protein metabolism is a heavily studied sect of science, and all published and verifiable data that has materialized from those decades of study all show whole food is nowhere near as profound as whey protein at reversing catabolism, replenishing amino acid content, initiating protein synthesis, or the rapidity at which all those functions occur.

Here is an excellent published paper extracted from the Journal of Nutrition discussing BV and Amino Acid content http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/31/5/533.pdf