NO BS - Supplement Guide

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I thought I would take the time to write a no bs guide to those who are thinking about trying certain supplements. There is a plethora of supplements and I would like to try to get them categorized more efficiently. Please help me assort the priority of supplements listed here as well as their effectiveness and reason to buy them *remember we are in a bad recession here...

Creatine & It's many forms -9/10- Allows for gaining more ATP (Adenisene Triphosphate) in muscle tissue, gives muscles fuller look, is naturally found in meat. This is a staple!
5-HTP - This is found in many products, though I do not know its effectiveness.
DHEA -5/10- Boosts natural testosterone levels. Decent, give it a try.
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) -7/10- A free fatty acid derived from safflower or sunflower oil. Works well to metabolize fat molecules if used correctly.
ALA Omega 3/6/9 -7/10- Works well to metabolize fat molecules if used correctly.
Beta-Alanine -7/10- When stacked with creatine and Citrulline Malate, it help's to make a powerful combo in quest for more reps. I highly recommend you get something with this in it!
Citrulline Malate -6.5/10- Is a great combo to add with Beta-Alanine for max results. Recommended!
Essential BCAA's -0/10- 5G recommended dosage, however, any high quality whey will contain the essential bcaa's already. This makes BCAA's not worth it in my point of view.
CoQ10 -7/10- New studies show that this enzyme helps in recovery after an intense workout.
Banaba Extract & Glycerine -2.5/10 Supposedly loads carbs into muscles and makes them fuller.
Cinullin -3/10- Helps in insulin regulation. Not highly recommended.
Testofen/Tribulus -Aids in testosterone support, some say it works well but I give it a 3.5/10. (Causes gyno in certain individuals)
Icarrin - Not much is known about this product, I have only used it twice so I can't say much about it.
Glutamine & Precursors -0/10- 5G is recommended post workout, however most Protein powders contain this amount
ZMA Supplements -6/10- Help to aid in recovery and increase testosterone production. This is a pretty solid supplement, I recommend it.
Glucosomine/Chondriotin -6.5/10- Works well to help in joint pain, if you experience it.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
some of those things shouldnt be categorized together.... testofen is many times more effective than trib... actually trib is nearly useless as far as increasing muscle mass. icarrin helps for erectile dysfunction and increasing arousal... and increases test levels/aggression. banaba and glucose disposal agents cant be categorized with glycerine... glycerol products push water into muscles during a workout. better pump and hydration. also free form aminos have different effects when not bonded in long chains via protein molecules.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
different products work better for some ppl. like citrulline malate for me is the best out of beta-alanine/creatine or any other pre workout. gives me more endurance, insane pump, and recovery is enhanced. u just gotta try it all out for yourself in bulk so u can see how individual ingredients respond. glycerol monosterate is also a sweet product. if u drink a bunch of water with it, the pumps are crazy and last a good while after.

BCAA's (not in protein) can really enhance recovery as well ~15g pre workout then 15g more after, or else you can take regular protein after. good stuff

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys, I thought I would take the time to write a no bs guide to those who are thinking about trying certain supplements. There is a plethora of supplements and I would like to try to get them categorized more efficiently. Please help me assort the priority of supplements listed here as well as their effectiveness and reason to buy them *remember we are in a bad recession here...

Creatine & It's many forms -9/10- Allows for gaining more ATP (Adenisene Triphosphate) in muscle tissue, gives muscles fuller look, is naturally found in meat. This is a staple!
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) -7/10- A free fatty acid derived from safflower or sunflower oil. Works well to metabolize fat molecules if used correctly.
ALA Omega 3/6/9 -7/10- Works well to metabolize fat molecules if used correctly.
Beta-Alanine -7/10- When stacked with creatine and Citrulline Malate, it help's to make a powerful combo in quest for more reps. I highly recommend you get something with this in it!
Citrulline Malate -6.5/10- Is a great combo to add with Beta-Alanine for max results. Recommended!
Essential BCAA's -0/10- 5G recommended dosage, however, any high quality whey will contain the essential bcaa's already. This makes BCAA's not worth it in my point of view.
CoQ10 -7/10- New studies show that this enzyme helps in recovery after an intense workout.
Banaba Extract & Glycerine -2.5/10 Supposedly loads carbs into muscles and makes them fuller.
Testofen/Tribulus -Aids in testosterone support, some say it works well but I give it a 3.5/10. (Causes gyno in certain individuals)
Icarrin - Not much is known about this product, I have only used it twice so I can't say much about it.
Glutamine & Precursors -0/10- 5G is recommended post workout, however most Protein powders contain this amount
ZMA Supplements -6/10- Help to aid in recovery and increase testosterone production. This is a pretty solid supplement, I recommend it.
Glucosomine/Chondriotin -6.5/10- Works well to help in joint pain, if you experience it.
i disagree witht he BCAA, i think taken at the right time in the right amount can be very anabolic in use, but i love testofen products like phyto-test and testopro

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established

tibulus causes gyno? is that true?

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
its been reported but not sure if its been confirmed. just dont try to mega dose it!!!
but isnt say, prime and other natural test supps mostly trib? dont ppl mega dose those? im just curious?

rchaves

rchaves

Awards
but isnt say, prime and other natural test supps mostly trib? dont ppl mega dose those? im just curious?
The main ingredient in Prime is tribulus aquaticus, not tribulus terrestris--a very different plant.

But, yes, many other natural test supps contain trib (terrestris). People generally like it when they "feel" something after taking a single dose, and tribulus gives most people that feeling down under, even if it isn't scientifically proven to raise test in humans. But used alone, don't expect any serious gains. The best you can hope for is that the libido increase motivates you for heavier training sessions.

I think your chances of getting gyno from tribulus is very very small, unless for other reasons you're predisposed to it. Some people decide not to take it because it doesn't work for them, or because they don't want a libido increase, or because they think it's a waste of money because it's not proven to raise test--but I've never heard of anyone not taking it due to gyno concerns.

Check out this quote from a good article by Jerry Brainum in Iron Man Magazine:

... In the human studies that followed, tribulus was given to men with clinically low testosterone levels. One study found that men receiving 750 milligrams of tribulus daily for five days showed a 72 percent increase in luteinizing hormone, along with a 40 percent rise in testosterone. Less publicized was the accompanying 81 percent rise in estrogen.
The much touted “active” tribulus ingredient, protodioscin, aids DHEA synthesis and release.
Animal studies can’t always be extrapolated to humans. While the research on tribulus emanating from Russia is nothing short of glowing, the herb hasn’t fared as well under Western scientific scrutiny. One study involved 15 men who got either a placebo or tribulus at a dose of 3.21 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight daily. The subjects followed an eight-week weight-training routine. Muscle endurance increased on the bench press and leg press in the placebo group, while those in the tribulus group showed an increase only in leg press strength. No changes in body composition occurred in either group.
Another study examined the effects of either a placebo or 450 milligrams a day of tribulus in 22 rugby players who were engaged in weight training for five weeks. Both groups produced similar gains, along with no rise in testosterone in the tribulus group. Still another study looked at whether tribulus raises testosterone in young men. The 21 subjects took either tribulus or a placebo for four weeks. Tribulus had no effect.
Given that tribulus can raise estrogen, it’s not surprising that there’s at least one case study on record of a young bodybuilder who acquired gynecomastia, or male breast formation, after using a tribulus supplement. DHEA can easily convert into estrogen, particularly in younger men, although it more often converts into a metabolite of DHT.
My question to others is: if we don't believe that one crappy study that says it raises testosterone in low-test males by 40%, then why should we believe the same study reporting a 81% increase in estrogen? In other words, why is everyone so damn paranoid about gyno from herbal supplements? I know there's that one documented case. But if you give say 10,000 bodybuilders ANY herb (or placebo?!), at least a few will develop gyno due to completely unrelated reasons (or other unreported PH use), and blame it on that herb.... Food for thought.

Cheers.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The main ingredient in Prime is tribulus aquaticus, not tribulus terrestris--.
Indeed. Tribulus Aquaticus (in PRIME), Tribulus Alatus (in T-BOL), and Tribulus Terrestris have different MoAs and pharmacological action.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

How did you end up with these ratings? And how can this thread be a "No BS Supplement Guide" based on these?

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
BCAA's (not in protein) can really enhance recovery as well ~15g pre workout then 15g more after, or else you can take regular protein after. good stuff
i disagree witht he BCAA, i think taken at the right time in the right amount can be very anabolic in use, but i love testofen products like phyto-test and testopro
Personal opinion here, but i find BCAAs of more use during phases of calorie deficit.

rchaves

rchaves

Awards
Personal opinion here, but i find BCAAs of more use during phases of calorie deficit.
The anti-catabolic / muscle-sparing effects of BCAAs are great. I had to spend five weeks away from my supps once (I know, shocking)--I couldn't even take my whey with me. But I made sure I had a big bottle of BCAAs with me for sure! Those plus whole eggs and lean red meat helped me maintain most of my recent gains.

Cheers.

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
Indeed. Tribulus Aquaticus (in PRIME), Tribulus Alatus (in T-BOL), and Tribulus Terrestris have different MoAs and pharmacological action.
thats good to hear, because i have taken prime, and have some on the way, and its not so much that im paranoid, but really,no man wants boobs, so its a healthy concern to take pause when someone (esp here, where i go for my supplment education) claims that there are "documented cases" or whatever, I still have a great level of ignorance about alot of this stuff, im really just learning, thank you much for the replies :)

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OP, I understand that this is you opionion or experience with these supps, but some of the things you say make it seem like you have little to no experience with them other then from forum perusing. JMO.

The anti-catabolic / muscle-sparing effects of BCAAs are great.
Agreed with both. BCAA's have greatly helped me retain muscle mass while cutting.

greekstallion

Awards
nah mate the only thing u get with mega dosing tribulus is hair on your back...good strength,good sex drive,aggression but ****ing hair on your back

BigBeazy

BigBeazy

Awards
  • Established
I disagree with the BCAA part.

I'm 176.5 as of saturday afternoon. A decent ten pound loss. I really haven't kicked my cardio up, just for the past month or so, I have just been increasing my BCAA intake. Thats roughly about it. I sip on it throught work all day, (LG Sciences BC+EAA is sitting right next to my computer as I type this, Watermelon-Kiwi is my fav) and so far it seems to be working.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
If you're sipping BCAA fasted, you're probably inducing GH spikes. I have been wanting to try BCAA only 16 hour fasts (Leangains style) I have a feeling it would be very effective.

OP, I disagree about glycerine - With electrolytes and 32oz of liquid pre workout I have not found a more cost effective (or better, for that matter) way to increase pump.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're sipping BCAA fasted, you're probably inducing GH spikes. I have been wanting to try BCAA only 16 hour fasts (Leangains style) I have a feeling it would be very effective.

OP, I disagree about glycerine - With electrolytes and 32oz of liquid pre workout I have not found a more cost effective (or better, for that matter) way to increase pump.
when is on Low Carb diet and yours use BCAA the body automatically USE and CONVERT this BCAA in Glucose so no GH output