Advanced Amino Acids Questions & Brainstorming

impulseoctane

impulseoctane

Awards
I'm not really sure where to put this, but I figured this is the most viewed & general spot on the forum.

Background: Over the last few months I've been doing some relatively serious research into amino acids (well, as intense as I can without having an in-house lab, or one I can easily access).

My interest started when I started to date my girlfriend about 7 months ago. She was on a pretty stupid high dose of Lexapro for depression and in talking to her I found out that they did absolutely zero medical procedures before prescribing a dose of 20mg/day which quickly increased to 30mg/day.

She hated taking it and while it did help with anxiety, it was more hassle than it was worth (in my opinion ..). Anytime she missed a dose she would literally just lay in bed and not want to do a thing, and she complained of severe lightheadedness, headaches, and "zaps" which I came to find out were caused by the same thing that causes your foot to "fall asleep".

Being that I'm really into the whole supplement gig, I figured that there had to be some alternative, or at least some sort of medical test that could be administered, to conclude the actual problem.

Low and behold, her tryptophan levels were well below where they needed to be (along with a few other essentials).

So after a bunch of research, and some careful planning, she's now off of the Lexapro, and on a regime of Optimum Nutrition's amino acid supplement, an extra l-tryptophan supplement, and EFA's.

She's doing even better than she was on lexapro, and she doesn't battle the awful feelings after a missed dose, nor does she have the weight gain she had before. In fact she's lost 6 pounds since she's came off.

Now, my question is, are there easier ways to test for amino acid deficiencies? Any 'at-home' tests or anything? I couldn't really find anything after searching online.

Also, does anyone have any literature on amino acids? I don't care what amino it is, nor what it's about. I'm very interested in learning more about amino acids, and I'd love to get anyone else's opinion or experience.

Currently I have access to a science library at the local university, which is where I do 90% of my research. So if you find articles that require log-ins, chances are I can access them, or at least something similar.

I'd like to keep this thread clean and on-point. Obviously, if you have questions, please feel free to ask. As I said, I've done quite a bit of research in the area over the last 6 months or so. If I can't help you, I'm sure someone else on here can.

Let's get this thread rolling ..

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Google Scholar. i use it to look up studies on aminos and anything else that's in a supp.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There's a chain called "Any Lab Test Now" that's in most developed cities that will draw blood and test for what you specify. Reasonable rates.

In addition to Google Scholar, consider PubMed as well. ImmInst.org is also a good forum for geekier questions :)