Primordial Performance Premax: Is it worth the price?

Is premax worth it?

• Yes, at any price

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Yes, but only on sale

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No, not at the regular price

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No, not at any price

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

BossHauss

Awards
I would just mix my own ingredients and would make sure to include any that were in premax that made it attractive to me.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
depends on your finances i suppose :)

suresha

Awards
  • Established
hell no, not for 10 servings. but it is like the rolls royce of pre-workout supps. ingredient wise it is in a class by itself also. i love pp and all their products but price wise it's too too steep for me. but if you got that kinda bread, go for it, i would if i had a budget that would allow me to

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
maybe not premax, but some like ibcaa are well worth it, yeah some are expensive but some are just right but i think they are all great quality

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
I picked some up a while back during a sale and it is the best I have used. During my low /no carb contest prep it was the only thing that could get me a pump.

POM study:

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Nov 23. [Epub ahead of print]
Ellagitannin Consumption Improves Strength Recovery 2-3 Days after Eccentric Exercise.

PURPOSE:: Dietary supplementation with polyphenols, particularly ellagitannins, may attenuate the muscular damage experienced after eccentric exercise producing delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). The purpose of this study was to determine if ellagitannin supplementation from Wonderful variety pomegranate extract (POMx) improved recovery of skeletal muscle strength following eccentric exercise. METHODS:: Recreationally active males were randomized into a crossover design with either pomegranate extract (POMx) or placebo (PLA), each given over a period of nine days. To produce DOMS, subjects performed 2 sets of 20 maximal eccentric elbow flexion exercises with one arm. Maximal isometric elbow flexion strength and muscle soreness as well as serum measures of creatine kinase, myoglobin, interleukin-6, and c-reactive protein were made at baseline and 2, 24, 48, 72, and 96 h post-exercise. RESULTS:: With both treatments, strength was similarly reduced 2 h after exercise (i.e.; 72% of baseline) and recovery of strength was incomplete after 96 h (i.e.; 91% of baseline). However, strength was significantly higher in POMx compared to PLA at 48 h (85.4 +/- 2.5% and 78.3 +/- 2.6%; p= 0.01) and 72 h (88.9 +/- 2.0% and 84.0 +/- 2.0%; p= 0.009) post-exercise. Serum markers of inflammation and muscle damage did not provide insight regarding possible mechanisms. CONCLUSION:: Supplementation with ellagitannins from pomegranate extract significantly improves recovery of isometric strength 2-3 days following damaging eccentric exercise.

PMID: 19952825

I'm currently working on a homemade pre-workout stack based around GPLC. However, the longer my days at work get the more the convenience of only having to use 1 scoop of something sounds really nice.
Glycine propionyl-L-carnitine produces enhanced anaerobic work capacity with reduced lactate accumulation in resistance trained males.

Jacobs PL, Goldstein ER, Blackburn W, Orem I, Hughes JJ.

Department of Exercise Science and Health Promotion, Florida Atlantic University, Davie, FL 33314, USA. [email protected].
Abstract

ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: Recent research has indicated that short term administration of glycine propionyl-L-carnitine (GPLC) significantly elevates levels of nitric oxide metabolites at rest and in response to reactive hyperaemia. However, no scientific evidence exists that suggests such supplementation enhances exercise performance in healthy, trained individuals. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of GPLC on the performance of repeated high intensity stationary cycle sprints with limited recovery periods in resistance trained male subjects. METHODS: In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over design, twenty-four male resistance trained subjects (25.2 +/- 3.6 years) participated in two test sessions separated by one week. Testing was performed 90 minutes following oral ingestion of either 4.5 grams GPLC or 4.5 grams cellulose (PL), in randomized order. The exercise testing protocol consisted of five 10-second Wingate cycle sprints separated by 1-minute active recovery periods. Peak (PP) and mean values (MP) of sprint power output and percent decrement of power (DEC) were determined per bout and standardized relative to body masss. Heart rate (HR) and blood lactate (LAC) were measured prior to, during and following the five sprint bouts. RESULTS: Significant main effects (p < 0.001) were observed for sprint bout order in values of PP, MP, DEC, and HR. There were significant main effects detected for condition in PP and MP (p < 0.05), with values across the five sprint bouts 2.6 - 15% greater with GPLC. Significant statistical interactions were detected between bout order and condition for both PP and MP (p < 0.05). There was a significant main effect of condition for LAC, LAC values 15.7% lower 4 min post-exercise with GPLC (p = 0.09) and with GPLC resulting in 16.2% less LAC at 14 min post-exercise (p < 0.05). CONCLUSION: These findings indicate that short-term oral supplementation of GPLC can enhance peak power production in resistance trained males with significantly less LAC accumulation.

and lets not forget Vitis vinifera

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
my 2 cents:

Premax is worth it....I use one scoop pre-max + half scoop of assault..... Or one scoop pre-max + None caff rag for my day to day workout.. yes you are saying dam I will spend all the cash on 3 pre work out drinks.. i have bought 2 tubs of premax- 2 tubs of assault and 2 tubs rag... in the longrun it saves me cash because I can mix a combo or I can just go solo depends on how I feel and what rotuine I am doing that week... I just feel each one has it benefits....

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
If they would double the volume at the same price like they did with TCF-1, I'd be all over it.

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
10 servings for $50?

I seriously do not understand why is there no "generic" brands of products like these. I mean, we can get generic versions of prescription drugs, vitamins and such. Shouldn't there be some company, maybe NutraPlanet, that can release an identical version, cut the price in half, and make up for the difference in a matter of a month. I am pretty sure that will bring in more profit than anything PP is paying in AM-advertising/forum. Heh, speaking of which, they do seem to have a lot of ads here, maybe...if they did...not waste..so much money...on advertising... they might actually afford to actually have a better price vs. amount pricing.

I just do not get why, this is especially apparent in bodybuilding supplements, that many are are so open to having companies walk over them.

Maybe I am just being a cheap ass, but I really wish there was more competition for these companies and their products.

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
10 servings for $50?

I seriously do not understand why is there no "generic" brands of products like these. I mean, we can get generic versions of prescription drugs, vitamins and such. Shouldn't there be some company, maybe NutraPlanet, that can release an identical version, cut the price in half, and make up for the difference in a matter of a month. I am pretty sure that will bring in more profit than anything PP is paying in AM-advertising/forum. Heh, speaking of which, they do seem to have a lot of ads here, maybe...if they did...not waste..so much money...on advertising... they might actually afford to actually have a better price vs. amount pricing.

I just do not get why, this is especially apparent in bodybuilding supplements, that many are are so open to having companies walk over them.

Maybe I am just being a cheap ass, but I really wish there was more competition for these companies and their products.
The ingredient profile of premax is very unique so not many others have tried to replicate it, that and something called a patent. I do like islandmagics idea. I think a bogo sale would make premax look very attractive right now. But I believe PP has some of the most reasonable prices on products, look at the bulk creapure, beta alanine, etc. Just premax is an expensive product to make. Still not sure if I will get it though, has anyone else tried it?

ProteinMurder

Awards
  • Established
10 servings for $50?

THIS! $50 for 10 servings is absurd. period.

ProteinMurder

Awards
  • Established
Agreed Quinc, you do get what you pay for. But Doesn't mean your always getting a fair deal mate.... Do we really want pre workouts to go down this path? Were this kind of dollar to serving ratio becomes acceptable?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed Quinc, you do get what you pay for. But Doesn't mean your always getting a fair deal mate.... Do we really want pre workouts to go down this path? Were this kind of dollar to serving ratio becomes acceptable?
thats like many other things. People are always willing to pay more for quality.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
$5 a serving? No thanks, although i'm sure it's great stuff.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use a half serving and love it. I workout 3x per week. Costs me $7.50 per week. I spent that at Chick-Fil-a a few hours ago on some ****ty food.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess one is for optimists and one is for pessimists. With that being said...we have a lot of negative energy on this board!

My cup is half full how bout u?

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Again i know peptopro isnt PP's product but i want to see the studies that place it above standard whey especially ones that justify the insane price. Also you dont always get what you pay for. That crap better slap on some serious muscle for 5 bucks a serving. Right now for 50 bucks you could buy some P-slin, Nutrapro, and some oats and actually have and awsome workout with great pumps all month and its guaranteed to pack on more mass for the money

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
I bought primordial's creapure, ibcaa, beta-alanine, glycocarn, and vitaberry. I mix it up in some purified water then drink it on my way to the gym. I'm very pleased with my investment, my custom preworkout supplement is better than anything else I've tried.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I bought primordial's creapure, ibcaa, beta-alanine, glycocarn, and vitaberry. I mix it up in some purified water then drink it on my way to the gym. I'm very pleased with my investment, my custom preworkout supplement is better than anything else I've tried.
if this was facebook, which its not, id totally give a thumbs up and press the like button.:fing02:

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
I like the idea of supplements consisting of ingredients that are backed by human studies and not just full of caffeine. I also like that it has the same dosage as the study and not a prop blend. If you have the time then making your own is ideal.

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
Again i know peptopro isnt PP's product but i want to see the studies that place it above standard whey especially ones that justify the insane price. Also you dont always get what you pay for. That crap better slap on some serious muscle for 5 bucks a serving. Right now for 50 bucks you could buy some P-slin, Nutrapro, and some oats and actually have and awsome workout with great pumps all month and its guaranteed to pack on more mass for the money
Now that's a smart shopper right there. :fing02:

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I can't afford to consistently spend 5$ a serving on just one sup. To be honest I probably get close to 5$ a day now, maybe not but there is some fluff room in there, maybe more like 3$ a day between everything, dont care to do the math, but if I made more money I would be on cycle after cycle of whatever is working at the time, along with the best of the best in each category.

It's all about how much you have to spend imo. Right now for a couple reasons I just buy whatever NP has a flash sale on for pre-wo, 1 because they sure seem to have flash sales before I even get close to running out, and 2 because I dont have tons of history with pre-wo so I am still trying everything...

I have like 6 months or more worth of pre-wo now before I've even finished up my first ever tub of stuff because of NP sales o_O

UKStrength

THIS! $50 for 10 servings is absurd. period.
There's actually very little profit margin on PreMax due to the cost of the ingredients, so you are effectively 'getting what you pay for' in that respect.

I'd say if you're not sure mate, check out some of the unbiased logs and reviews on PreMax and decide for yourself, perhaps when there's another sale if money is tight ;)

I can't afford to consistently spend 5$ a serving on just one sup. To be honest I probably get close to 5$ a day now, maybe not but there is some fluff room in there, maybe more like 3$ a day between everything, dont care to do the math, but if I made more money I would be on cycle after cycle of whatever is working at the time, along with the best of the best in each category.

It's all about how much you have to spend imo. Right now for a couple reasons I just buy whatever NP has a flash sale on for pre-wo, 1 because they sure seem to have flash sales before I even get close to running out, and 2 because I dont have tons of history with pre-wo so I am still trying everything...

I have like 6 months or more worth of pre-wo now before I've even finished up my first ever tub of stuff because of NP sales o_O
It does boil down to cost in the end mate, so I can sympathise completely there. If you're unsure, might be worth investing and just using the product on your hardest training days to really put it to the test. This will also help the product last longer.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
^First run-in with one of you guys, I like your style, I may consider it since I do have a surplus of tax payer dollars laying around (gotta love the army, technically I am 15% my own boss)

UKStrength

^First run-in with one of you guys, I like your style, I may consider it since I do have a surplus of tax payer dollars laying around (gotta love the army, technically I am 15% my own boss)
haha, wish I could say the same mate! I'm in the national health service for the UK so it's all about cutting costs every 5 minutes!

Hope you enjoy the PreMax if you do give it a whirl, drop me a PM if you have further queries.

ProteinMurder

Awards
  • Established
There's actually very little profit margin on PreMax due to the cost of the ingredients, so you are effectively 'getting what you pay for' in that respect.

I'd say if you're not sure mate, check out some of the unbiased logs and reviews on PreMax and decide for yourself, perhaps when there's another sale if money is tight ;)

It does boil down to cost in the end mate, so I can sympathise completely there. If you're unsure, might be worth investing and just using the product on your hardest training days to really put it to the test. This will also help the product last longer.
Yeah, nice suggestions UK. Didn't wanna sound like the I was questioning product itself I have heard nothing but good PP guys, but yeah, I wouldn't personally spend that on a PWO. I am waiting for a sale to grab a couple! *wink*