Remember HMB?

Vegking

Awards
This was a big hype splash back in the 90s. Highly touted supplement from the white coats and supplement companies. However, a lot of users reported not noticing any benefits from it so the hype did not match the results. The thing is, I have a neighbor that was at Iowa State University, where the product was developed and he worked in the lab that was working on it. He started using it, and used it before it went to market. He said it absolutely rock. However, when the HMB came out on the consumer market, he tried it and said he did not notice anything from it. My question is, and he couldn't answer this, what happened? Why would it work so well for him when he was getting directly from the source while it was being studied/developed and the consumer version? Anyone still use the supplement and do you notice anything from it.

bigo88

Awards
I used it, and it did nothing for me about a month ago. I could not tell you what happened to it while they studied it but the stuff that I got off of bodybuilding.com didnt yield any results for me personally.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
This was a big hype splash back in the 90s. Highly touted supplement from the white coats and supplement companies. However, a lot of users reported not noticing any benefits from it so the hype did not match the results. The thing is, I have a neighbor that was at Iowa State University, where the product was developed and he worked in the lab that was working on it. He started using it, and used it before it went to market. He said it absolutely rock. However, when the HMB came out on the consumer market, he tried it and said he did not notice anything from it. My question is, and he couldn't answer this, what happened? Why would it work so well for him when he was getting directly from the source while it was being studied/developed and the consumer version? Anyone still use the supplement and do you notice anything from it.
this was taken from wilkipedia

β-Hydroxy β-methylbutyric acid (HMB), or β-hydroxy β-methylbutyrate, is a metabolite of the essential amino acid leucine and is synthesized in the human body. It plays a part in protein synthesis and was discovered by Dr. Steven L. Nissen at Iowa State University. It has been used in scientific studies to purportedly increase muscle mass and decrease muscle breakdown. However, Nissen held the original patent on the metabolite as a nutritional supplement. It was discovered in pigs and small quantities can also be found in grapefruit, alfalfa, and catfish. As a supplement it is usually sold as a calcium salt.

It raises the question if the patent was held by Nissen , were other companies who sold it licenced to use the original or did they source from elsewhere which may have been inferior and not deliver.

Another question which springs to mind , is if its a metabolite of leucine, is taking leucine a waste of time also?

BossHauss

Awards
I think you need to take it at much higher doses than what typical HMB supplements allow (in terms of cost per bottle) because the purity of their supplement sucks (just a guess, could be many factors). There seems to be alot of science behind HMB... at very reputable universities no less.