Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If so, do you still take pre-w/o stims?

lsmoguy

Awards
Been on Atenalol for a little over seven years now. I take one at night, before bed.
I have always been concerned about pre-workout sups with stims, but I have not noticed any affects. There are pre-workout sups that do not have stims (Hevamol).

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Been on lisinopril for years....use Jack3d 5 days a week...no probs.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback

Kirkatis

Kirkatis

Awards
I take norvasc 5mg and I take jack3d 5 days a week. My BP is usually around 120/69.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take 10mg Norvasc+25mg Atenolol. Works awesome for me, I really don't have high blood pressure, typical readings are 130/78 but then again, I'm 5`1 and 200lbs. My bp should be naturally higher. Cardiologist mainly has me on meds to prevent left ventricular hypertrophy rather than to actually treat the blood pressure.

Feel The Burn

Awards
I take 25mg of Hydrochlorothiazide. My blood pressure readings before I started hoovered around mid to upper 130's /80's (Not terrible, but not great). I have not check it since I have been on it.

I usually take stims daily.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take 25mg of Hydrochlorothiazide. My blood pressure readings before I started hoovered around mid to upper 130's /80's (Not terrible, but not great). I have not check it since I have been on it.

hctz even at 12.5mg is a wonder drug and actually drastically alters the physique. I use it as needed, not everyday. When I do take it before bed, I wake up the next day much harder and drier with a leaner image.. obviously within reason before some 20% bf guy thinks it will make him ripped lol.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
X2 linsinopril (10mg) for years, take first thing in the a.m.

I also take CoQ10 (100mg) + Hawthorn berry daily with it.

wo at noontime and have used stim products, just no need for me to use the full dose since I'm quite sensitive to them. The stuff with Yohimbine bothers me most so I stay clear of supp's that contain it.

some stim products I've used:
No shotgun V2 (can't do a full dose get too wired)
Purple wrath
Purple in train
M5
coffee
Bulk BA
AMS hyperTrop-X
Superpump250

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
F-T-B: why did you decide to get on it then!?!?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you able to take prohormones/prosteroids while on the lisinopril?
It would be stupid to take a steroid without a peripheral vasodilator, especially something as good as lisinopril which prevents renal arterial constriction.

Mike

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am using this now as I am on cycle, first time I don't feel like crap with a constant headache, love it! And I can take stims as long as I don't go overboard with them. Coffee, a pre w/o with 200mgs of caffeine, all work just fine for me on it. Don't need it when I am off cycle though so can't say much for extended use. I will say I get mad sunburn while on this stuff if I am not careful.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am using this now as I am on cycle, first time I don't feel like crap with a constant headache, love it! And I can take stims as long as I don't go overboard with them. Coffee, a pre w/o with 200mgs of caffeine, all work just fine for me on it. Don't need it when I am off cycle though so can't say much for extended use. I will say I get mad sunburn while on this stuff if I am not careful.
You are really saving your kidneys by doing this. smart man.

Mike

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are really saving your kidneys by doing this. smart man.

Mike
Thanks, I have a good doctor who doesn't agree with using hormones/anabolics but she would rather I be healthy and use them safely so she is understanding to that degree. Now if I asked her for clomiphene I doubt that would happen, I know my limits on what she will tolerate!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks, I have a good doctor who doesn't agree with using hormones/anabolics but she would rather I be healthy and use them safely so she is understanding to that degree. Now if I asked her for clomiphene I doubt that would happen, I know my limits on what she will tolerate!

My cardiologist is similar. He feels bodybuilders main problem is that they go to the doctor for treatment, but when it is to late, when they have symptoms. He believes in preventing, rather than treating. I currently take,

20mg Vasotec (Ace Inhibitor like lisinopril)
12.5mg Atenolol (Beta Blocker)
12.5 HCTZ (Diuretic)

All to prevent left ventricular hypertrophy.

Mike

Beast Sports

Beast Sports

Awards
Agreed with many others, lisinopril with monitored stim intake=good to go

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed with many others, lisinopril with monitored stim intake=good to go
If I keep my daily total caffeine under 500-600mg total throughout the day I see no issues at all. Even the warning in the literature that came with it from Walgreens states that stim usage is fine as long as it is not excessive (or something of the sort). It is good to know that it is effective after a day or so of use when on cycle and when cutting the additional stims really makes it so much less painful to control calorie intake.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I keep my daily total caffeine under 500-600mg total throughout the day I see no issues at all. Even the warning in the literature that came with it from Walgreens states that stim usage is fine as long as it is not excessive (or something of the sort). It is good to know that it is effective after a day or so of use when on cycle and when cutting the additional stims really makes it so much less painful to control calorie intake.
Your heart rate can still become elevated on an ace inhibitor. They do not block the impulse signals of the heart controlling your rate. Beta blockers, like atenolol on the other hand do which work great with stims. I can take ephedrine, clen, etc. and get the mental stimulation, without my resting heart rate going above 70, of when doing cardio, can't get my heart rate above 130 even with HITT training.

Mike

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't want to be limited nor am I overly concerned with my heart rate being overly low. It is not unhealthy to have a heart rate up around 180-200 during any high intensity training, I routinely did this when I swam and played water polo in college.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't want to be limited nor am I overly concerned with my heart rate being overly low. It is not unhealthy to have a heart rate up around 180-200 during any high intensity training, I routinely did this when I swam and played water polo in college.
I manage my heart rate closely to prevent left ventricular hypertrophy.

Mike

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I manage my heart rate closely to prevent left ventricular hypertrophy.

Mike
I guess if that was a genetic issue I would too. Funny, my mother is a cardiac nurse and I have never once heard that mentioned as a concern in patients who are otherwise healthy; frankly I think I only ever heard it mentioned once or twice until this thread. Maybe I am missing something.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is that a year round regimen? Having someone on an Ace-I, Beta Blocker and Diuretic is pretty intense therapy. For the most serious hypertension, all we could do is add an ARB and up your dosages.

A lovely review of the heart in athletes can be found here, and a key paragraph
Extreme LV remodeling evident in some highly trained athletes has intuitively raised a concern of whether such exercise-related morphological adaptations are always innocent. For example, ≈15% of highly trained athletes show striking LV cavity enlargement, with end-diastolic dimensions ≥60 mm, similar in magnitude to that evident in pathological forms of dilated cardiomyopathy.[SUP]1,10,21[/SUP] One longitudinal echocardiographic study reported incomplete reversal of extreme LV cavity dilatation with deconditioning; substantial chamber enlargement persisted in 20% of retired and deconditioned former elite athletes after 5 years (Figure 12).[SUP]21[/SUP] There is no evidence at present showing that athlete’s heart remodeling leads to long-term disease progression, cardiovascular disability, or sudden cardiac death. The possibility that persistence of extreme remodeling after prolonged and intensive conditioning will ultimately convey deleterious cardiovascular consequences to some athletes is perhaps unlikely but at this time cannot be excluded with certainty
That's for non-steroid users. In the AAS population,
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?typ=pdf&doi=6834
The use of anabolic steroids concomitant with intensive resistance exercise does appear to augment left ventricular size without dysfunction
and
Even with several years of AAS use, only a subclinical impairment of Systolic & Diastolic function. Length and dose of AAS were linked to severity.

Anyways, I'm sure you guys have also done your research. I think if you're not on AAS, it doesn't sound like the LVH is concerning enough to merit triple BP therapy. Heck, I am supposed to be studying peds right now, but if you have an article showing that

(Did a quick search, http://cardiovascres.oxfordjournals.org/content/45/1/82.short only discusses pathologic HTN and not the effects of AAS or elite athletes.)

I guess the question is whether the effect AAS have on LVH (and NOT LV Dysfunction) can be antagonized by medications like ARBs,ACE-Is, Diuretics or Eblenerone that have been studied in reversal in LVH brought about by hypertension.

You've definitely sparked my passion for this kind of stuff :) Love it

My cardiologist is similar. He feels bodybuilders main problem is that they go to the doctor for treatment, but when it is to late, when they have symptoms. He believes in preventing, rather than treating. I currently take,

20mg Vasotec (Ace Inhibitor like lisinopril)
12.5mg Atenolol (Beta Blocker)
12.5 HCTZ (Diuretic)

All to prevent left ventricular hypertrophy.

Mike

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^My thoughts exactly and thanks for posting that. I try to be on the least amount of prescription meds I can be on at any given time. Right now that is 3, I have asthma hence why there are two for that and one for BPl; and it used to be 4 alone for asthma! I am all about preventative maintenance, smart use of drugs like my doc giving me BP meds when it would be up for an extended period of time, but aggressive therapy when there is little risk I am never for (what options do you leave yourself with if something else comes up?). If your lifestyle changes alone and natural supplementation are not enough, then I say go the prescription route but only after all other options have been exhausted.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hctz even at 12.5mg is a wonder drug and actually drastically alters the physique. I use it as needed, not everyday. When I do take it before bed, I wake up the next day much harder and drier with a leaner image.. obviously within reason before some 20% bf guy thinks it will make him ripped lol.
Interesting.I take clonidine which also has some physique altering effects.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is that a year round regimen? Having someone on an Ace-I, Beta Blocker and Diuretic is pretty intense therapy. For the most serious hypertension, all we could do is add an ARB and up your dosages.

A lovely review of the heart in athletes can be found here, and a key paragraph

That's for non-steroid users. In the AAS population,
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?typ=pdf&doi=6834

and
Even with several years of AAS use, only a subclinical impairment of Systolic & Diastolic function. Length and dose of AAS were linked to severity.

Anyways, I'm sure you guys have also done your research. I think if you're not on AAS, it doesn't sound like the LVH is concerning enough to merit triple BP therapy. Heck, I am supposed to be studying peds right now, but if you have an article showing that

(Did a quick search, http://cardiovascres.oxfordjournals.org/content/45/1/82.short only discusses pathologic HTN and not the effects of AAS or elite athletes.)

I guess the question is whether the effect AAS have on LVH (and NOT LV Dysfunction) can be antagonized by medications like ARBs,ACE-Is, Diuretics or Eblenerone that have been studied in reversal in LVH brought about by hypertension.

You've definitely sparked my passion for this kind of stuff :) Love it

Well for me, my dosages is very small off cycle, and increase on cycle. I was diagnosed, years ago with a slight degree of lvh which sparked all of this and that was before cycling. Since then, I have started this protocol, and reversed what was enlarged and increased my ejection fraction.

Mike

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
X2 linsinopril (10mg) for years, take first thing in the a.m.

I also take CoQ10 (100mg) + Hawthorn berry daily with it.

wo at noontime and have used stim products, just no need for me to use the full dose since I'm quite sensitive to them. The stuff with Yohimbine bothers me most so I stay clear of supp's that contain it.

some stim products I've used:
No shotgun V2 (can't do a full dose get too wired)
Purple wrath
Purple in train
M5
coffee
Bulk BA
AMS hyperTrop-X
Superpump250
Purple Wraath / Intrain dont have stims
Unless you count Beta alanine as a stim?

emekajokammor

emekajokammor

Awards
I'm not on any scripts but i am a constent hypertension 1. I read some studies that showed olive leaf extract helps to lower BP as good as some meds. So i've been using that, i also take stims but i am far from stim sensitive.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Emeka, have you considered celery seed extract? at 75mg twice a day, it has been shown to be very effective for BP control. Mimics a calcium channel blocker and mild diuretic. Hawthorn extract was help as well. Mike

emekajokammor

emekajokammor

Awards
Emeka, have you considered celery seed extract? at 75mg twice a day, it has been shown to be very effective for BP control. Mimics a calcium channel blocker and mild diuretic. Hawthorn extract was help as well. Mike
wow, didn't know that. I'll definitely check it out. Trying to keep my BP in check naturally, my mom has been on BP meds for over an decade.

I was using the Hawthorn berry extract until i read about and researched the olive leaf extract. Will be giving the Celery seed extract a try tho, Thanks Mike!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wow, didn't know that. I'll definitely check it out. Trying to keep my BP in check naturally, my mom has been on BP meds for over an decade.

I was using the Hawthorn berry extract until i read about and researched the olive leaf extract. Will be giving the Celery seed extract a try tho, Thanks Mike!
Anytime, glad I could help :).

Mike