Advice on ZMA product.

R

Remixman

Awards
So ive been working hard the last 6 months to gain a bit of weight muscle wise and i was thinking of going on Primaforce ZMA yet i don't want to begin taking the capsules and have adverse reactions such as hair loss or worse later down the line. Am i being overly paranoid or do i have reason to worry?

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You are overly paranoid. zma only brings test levels back to normal if you have a zinc deficiency. its not that strong. but a good cheap supplement for body builders.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, man, it's just zinc and magnesium, not a hormone.

I take it every night, not because it has some grandiose effect on test levels, but simply because I'm very active and it is quite difficult to get sufficient zinc and mag dietarily. It's more a "general health" supp for me, not for performance, so to speak.

R

Remixman

Awards
Well the thing is im 19 and i dont want to screw up anything for my future health you know?

G

gobigrgohme

Awards
its not a horomone!!!therefore how can it mess up ur test levels? just take it as directed mine says before bed"optimum nutrition" is the brand it is what i would reccomend plus it will help u get a more restfull sleep therefor healing muscles faster just take as prescribed there is no need to take any more as it will not make any difference

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Well the thing is im 19 and i dont want to screw up anything for my future health you know?
its a shame more people arn't worried about what they put into there bodies ;)

R

Remixman

Awards
I was only asking questions. I dont want to be known for being full of **** and doing something that i knew nothing about which is why i consulted people who may know more then i do. I may not be extremely educated in supplementation or nutrition, but i sure as hell know not to put things into my body i know little about. A label can tell me one thing, but a person who has taken it and seen its effects could/couldn't give me better advice depending on the person and their healthy/unhealthy habits.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
Nice and cheap, and helps me fall asleep plus stay asleep, only side effect i get is some crazy ass dreams...

T

tjwoody

Awards
what kind u guys using? and do we need to cycle off? i been taking NOW's brand. I like it...helps me sleep. XD:usa:

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
Been taking ZMA off and on for years. Still have my hair. :afro:

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Remixman do a little searching on here so people dont jump on ya. If you still cant find the answer, ask.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
its a shame more people arn't worried about what they put into there bodies ;)
I seconed that.

ZMA is literally just taking care of a possible zinc and magnesium deficiency. If your worried, have your doctor do a yearly blood test to make sure a yearly those minerals don't get to high.

R

Remixman

Awards
ok so are the heightening in levels of natural test noticeable?

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
Only if you're deficient in zinc and magnesium. Otherwise, you'll only notice better sleep and recovery, but won't see a shift in attributes that could be attributed to test.
Recent evidence would prove otherwise. One gram of magnesium raises testosterone by up to 25%

Ergo-Log

All you need is magnesium and zinc. You should already be getting enough of B6. Don't buy into the expensive ZMA supplements.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Recent evidence would prove otherwise. One gram of magnesium raises testosterone by up to 25%

Ergo-Log

All you need is magnesium and zinc. You should already be getting enough of B6. Don't buy into the expensive ZMA supplements.
Well, that's hardly definitive evidence - the athletes could simply have a larger deficiency and merely require 1g of Mag a day to compensate.

Without seeing the study and knowing their diet, not much is really conclusive from that article other than active people need more magnesium, which certainly is important enough to stand the reiteration.

It is an interesting read. reps.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Only if you're deficient in zinc and magnesium. Otherwise, you'll only notice better sleep and recovery, but won't see a shift in attributes that could be attributed to test.
I don't even see how it would improve recovery if he was already loaded up on the two minerals.

Z

zaxariah

Awards
Don't waste your money on that brother. ZMA is not a PH and will not in anyway harm your natural hormone levels. No more than some foods would or taking a simple protein powder.

If you want a great supplement that will not harm you in anyway then I would get IntraXcell from Athletic Edge. It's Beta-Alanine Carnosine booster. It will not harm you in anyway and will help you to produce significant gains if you push yourself hard. It basically helps you break down lactid acid from your workouts. That allows you to push a little harder and longer. Don't take my word for it though look it up and ask around. I think it's very wise of you to be curious about everything your putting in your body. Keep asking question and researching things. Good luck.

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
Don't waste your money on that brother. ZMA is not a PH and will not in anyway harm your natural hormone levels. No more than some foods would or taking a simple protein powder.

If you want a great supplement that will not harm you in anyway then I would get IntraXcell from Athletic Edge. It's Beta-Alanine Carnosine booster. It will not harm you in anyway and will help you to produce significant gains if you push yourself hard. It basically helps you break down lactid acid from your workouts. That allows you to push a little harder and longer. Don't take my word for it though look it up and ask around. I think it's very wise of you to be curious about everything your putting in your body. Keep asking question and researching things. Good luck.
Beta-Alanine is great stuff. I don't leave for the gym without it!

Here is another study showing the effectiveness of magnesium on free t levels.

Ergo-log

R

Remixman

Awards
Figuratively speaking i could just take a vitamin and get the same result?

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Any thoughts about calcium blocking zincs absorption in a multivitamin?

I like extra b6 because its supposed to reduce prolactin.

I take the zforce too. its dirt cheap.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established

This is a weird comment from someone with 1 rep power. Why didn't he just reccomend bulk beta alanine? Hmm...

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Any thoughts about calcium blocking zincs absorption in a multivitamin?

I like extra b6 because its supposed to reduce prolactin.

I take the zforce too. its dirt cheap.
yes take your calcium supps/dairy products in the morning and take ZMA at night to avoid them blocking each other.

i use ZMK, its got a full krebs cycle of minerals along with the original ZMA formula

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Figuratively speaking i could just take a vitamin and get the same result?
the reason why people take ZMA is to get the right type of zinc,magnesium and the proper amounts

R

Remixman

Awards
I know those two are the least noticeable vitamins in foods we eat. But i mean i realize a multi will give me some zinc etc. while ZMA will give me a more then required amount.

And as for ( IntraXcell) any advice or info you can lay on me. Basically i want to lose a bit of wight while building muscle. I know thats had becasue i want to burn fat which fuels my muscles to be able to function.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I know those two are the least noticeable vitamins in foods we eat. But i mean i realize a multi will give me some zinc etc. while ZMA will give me a more then required amount.

ZMA gives you more than "required" amount because zinc and magnesium levels get depleted with intense bouts of exercise. ZMA products include an exact ratio of zinc/magnesium and could often be found at a good price.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
yes take your calcium supps/dairy products in the morning and take ZMA at night to avoid them blocking each other.

i use ZMK, its got a full krebs cycle of minerals along with the original ZMA formula
I use ZMK as well. Top quality supp staple right there. No ZMA product better.