Maltodextrin

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.54%

Maltodextrin

Currently on the Alpha t2/OEP stack. I don't exactly count calories, but the basic list of what I eat in the day goes like this:

NutraPro shake(s) + rasp. ketones
    Tuna/Albacore
    Chicken breast
    Carrots
    Apples
    Chick fil A sandwich (1-2 a week)
    Whole grain tortillas or crackers

Preworkout: beta-alanine, AAKG, AEE, Norvaline, rasp. ketones
    Also taking Prime

I'm not a bodybuilder type. I'm training for some triathlons, etc. so the diet may not be perfect.

Anyways, I've lost 9lbs in a month and I was wondering if adding maltodextrin to postworkout/preworkout mixes for sustained energy will cause me to gain weight?

Thanks for the criticism and advice.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

it'll cause you to gain fat....

There are many better choices IMO

I'd suggest sugar before I'd suggest malto
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.89%

I think this says it best.

FACTS about Maltodextrin:

* Maltodextrin has a glycemic index of 105 That's sky-high on the chart - 5 Points higher than Glucose & 44 points higher than sucrose (Yep, that's straight-up table sugar!)
    * Maltodextrin is found in large quantities in all the top selling pre-workout pump products.
    * Most products contain between 6 to 11 grams of maltodextrin per scoop - With 2-3 scoops being required for effective dose!
    * A "hardcore" dose of popular powders will yield up to 33 grams of Maltodextrin! That's 72-132 calories super-high GI carbs! Same as a can of soda!! -Maltodextrin is simply added as a filler to deceive you into thinking you are getting more for your money.
    * And, to make things even shadier, Maltodextrin is often cleverly disguised on the label as "glucose polymers." How do we know they are being deceptive? That's a lot of carbs why do they try to disguise it?
    * High amounts of maltodextrin is what you pay for with those other formulas. Shipping, bigger packages & bottles all cost more. Who do you think is covering these costs?

Is your pre-workout product making you fat? If it has maltodextrin (i.e. "glucose polymers") then it certainly is.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.79%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post

if used correctly i think its great. but you're right it will cause most to gain fat. I have been using it with my TKD and i love it. it was $5 for cyto-carb @ gnc lol
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.12%

What alternatives do you recommend for post workout from your persona experience? Curious since I've never had any problems with malto but I'd be glad to try something new
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.54%

Is NP's Palatinose similar? I know it's a sugar. Or what about Waxy Maize? I'm just looking for something to break the wall I hit around an hour into lifting. I usually end up being in the gym for 1 1/2 - 2 hours because my school has a small weight room for way too many students and there are lines to get in a rack or dumbells.

Anyways, I just hit this point of exhaustion that doesn't seem related to the muscle group I work any particular day. I do have an empty stomach because I have this "phobia" that if I eat even just a little food around the time I drink my preworkout mix, it wont be as effective. I figured maltodextrin could help during this fat burning cycle.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.12%

Quote Originally Posted by zwa004 View Post
    Is NP's Palatinose similar? I know it's a sugar. Or what about Waxy Maize? I'm just looking for something to break the wall I hit around an hour into lifting. I usually end up being in the gym for 1 1/2 - 2 hours because my school has a small weight room for way too many students and there are lines to get in a rack or dumbells.

Anyways, I just hit this point of exhaustion that doesn't seem related to the muscle group I work any particular day. I do have an empty stomach because I have this "phobia" that if I eat even just a little food around the time I drink my preworkout mix, it wont be as effective. I figured maltodextrin could help during this fat burning cycle.
    What I'm confused about when it comes to Palatinose is the NP write up says it prevents insulin spikes....but you want an insulin spike post workout to speed transport of nutrients into muscle tissue, right? So why would you use this pwo?
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58%

Quote Originally Posted by zb126 View Post
    What alternatives do you recommend for post workout from your persona experience? Curious since I've never had any problems with malto but I'd be glad to try something new
    I stick with a classic piece of fruit or oats. I'm carb sensitive so I'm not a fan of the quick carbs.

I'm not a believer in the "fast" carbs post workout, I think Amino Acids are more important in this window.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.79%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by zwa004 View Post
    I usually end up being in the gym for 1 1/2 - 2 hours because my school has a small weight room for way too many students and there are lines to get in a rack or dumbells.
    Take the money you would spend on supps and get a gym membership! that is ridiculous to have to wait like that. That in itself will make a HUGE difference in your workouts.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.66%

Quote Originally Posted by zb126 View Post
    What I'm confused about when it comes to Palatinose is the NP write up says it prevents insulin spikes....but you want an insulin spike post workout to speed transport of nutrients into muscle tissue, right? So why would you use this pwo?
    On Primordial Performance's site, they have an article on how using low/no carbs post workout helps amino acid uptake during your "anabolic window". Check it out, it's a good read.

I stick with a classic piece of fruit or oats. I'm carb sensitive so I'm not a fan of the quick carbs.

I'm not a believer in the "fast" carbs post workout, I think Amino Acids are more important in this window.
    i agree with this as I too am very carb sensitive. I can't wait to try MAP from PP's and see how it compares to my BCAA mix.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.45%

i am not terribly carb sensitive, but had no idea the 25gms malto i use in a PWO shake had that high GI.

How about oligo or just dextrose? Of course mixed w/ whey post-WO.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.09%

Best carb i've seen around is Vitargo. Look it up.
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.12%

Quote Originally Posted by ktatro1 View Post
    Best carb i've seen around is Vitargo. Look it up.
    will do....and does your signature say androgens better than estrogen?
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.89%

I believe this stuff is just a powdered form of high fructose corn syrup. If you are going to use this after workouts make things simple for yourself and get a can of coke or pepsi from the vending machine on your way out.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Maltodextrin vs. Dextrose
    By classic27 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
  2. Maltodextrin
    By MrBrightside in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 10:47 PM
  3. WMS, Maltodextrin, or both?
    By CarterMalone in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4