post work out soreness

luke brownlee

Awards
I was wondering what is good to take for soreness the day after a workout. I am trying to lose weight but I am so sore the day after I can't string together consecutive days of cardio due to the soreness. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There are two types of soreness:
"good" soreness and DOMS ("bad" soreness).

It sounds most likely that you are suffering from "good" soreness, which is your body's natural inflammatory response to extended exertion. There are two immediate things that come to mind to help:
1) Fish Oil - take 3-5g EPA/DHA per day
2) Pull back slightly on the intensity of your training. After all, 5 days of training at 80% intensity beats 2 days of training at 100% intensity if you're too sore the other 3 days to workout.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
Try Chain'd Out amino acid supplement while you work out or directly post workout. It helps with my recovery time between workouts. Also, don't underestimate the power of an ice bath or just ice packs. I highly recommend this for your joints post workout.

luke brownlee

Awards
Thanks for the replies I'm guna try the fish oil. I've heard it helps with dieting too which I'm doing.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Increase training frequency, increase protein intake, include creatine and a hefty amount of BCAAs or hydrolysates, get at least 8hrs of sleep a night, avoid dehydration, utilize self-myofascial release...

luke brownlee

Awards
I take a protein shake after work out and as far as creatine don't wana touch it cuz I'm trying to cut weight, a lot of weight. And bcaas ill look into that.

luke brownlee

Awards
Really? I heard creatine would hurt my results for fat loss because of water tension? At least that's what I thought I read somewhere. I'm probally wrong

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
BCAA

anyone use a 4:1,1 ratio with their BCAA's ? The 4 being Leucine of course.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really? I heard creatine would hurt my results for fat loss because of water tension? At least that's what I thought I read somewhere. I'm probally wrong
"Water REtention" :D
And no. Water is not fat, and you won't retain water on Creatine if you use it at 5g/day on lifting days only, and continue use for more than a month or so.

BCAA

Yep, I prefer either straight leucine or 4:1:1 mixed in with some WPH or pepto-pro. Been using BC+EAA for a while now and really like it's efficacy.

luke brownlee

Awards
"Water REtention" :D
And no. Water is not fat, and you won't retain water on Creatine if you use it at 5g/day on lifting days only, and continue use for more than a month or so.

Yep, I prefer either straight leucine or 4:1:1 mixed in with some WPH or pepto-pro. Been using BC+EAA for a while now and really like it's efficacy.
What does leucine do? Sorry for the questions just new to this.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
BCAA

Every day, I sip on it all day, it's good stuff. Increases endurance and aids in recovery. Hense the names, RecoverPro, Axcell.

luke brownlee

Awards
Cool, I just did a google search and I'm going to get that axcell stuff. Thanks guys

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Every day, I sip on it all day, it's good stuff. Increases endurance and aids in recovery. Hense the names, RecoverPro, Axcell.
That's a good idea, i have a full tub of purple wraath sitting around because i couldn't drink it intra workout like i had planned.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
That's a good idea, i have a full tub of purple wraath sitting around because i couldn't drink it intra workout like i had planned.
Yeah sometimes I get real bad heartburn drinking it during workouts. I just keep a steady flow of it during the day and drink water during workouts.

luke brownlee

Awards
That's what I planned on doing is since it calls for 3 scoops for plus 180,lbs I'm guna just guna put it in my jug o water and sip on it all day

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried stretching after cardio? I know for me stretching helps not only after cardio, but after training as well.

luke brownlee

Awards
Yeah I stretch in the hot tub after my work out.. I know that's kinda weird but it feels great and I stretch afterwards. The hot tub at my gym is 5ft deep kinda crazy but works

greaser

Awards
I was wondering what is good to take for soreness the day after a workout. I am trying to lose weight but I am so sore the day after I can't string together consecutive days of cardio due to the soreness. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Definitely consume Branched Chain Amino Acids before, during, and after your work out. Don't bother with capsules. Get some bulk powder. Mix it with a zero carb drink powder like Crystal Lite, add water and shake it up good. That's what I do for my intra workout drink. For pre and post I just dump some powder into my whey protein shakes.

Keep in mind too, that as your body becomes used to the exercise, your soreness will decrease somewhat. Try to plan leg days AFTER your cardio days, not before. Trying to run the day after doing squats is torture!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I stretch in the hot tub after my work out.. I know that's kinda weird but it feels great and I stretch afterwards. The hot tub at my gym is 5ft deep kinda crazy but works
Dude, that feels so freaking good. I'm 6'4" so I take up the whole darn hot tub, but I don't care - it's a great way to unwind post-workout.