Gatorade-4-Carbs?

jcr1

Banned
Awards
How good of a source is gatorade for carbs? good for bodybuilders? thanks!

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i would avoid the liquid gatorade. its full of HFCS. powder is better, containing dextrose. however you can buy a huge bag of dex at NP for nothing.

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
How good of a source is gatorade for carbs? Are they complex carbs, good for bodybuilders? How many ounces a day is a good target? thanks!
I believe the powder is a split between dextrose and HFCS, both are simple, high glycemic sugars, good for during and after a workout. Also good for taking with creatine. But I would avoid taking too much gatorade on off days, it won't fill you up and adds a lot of high glycemic carbs.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I believe the powder is a split between dextrose and HFCS, both are simple, high glycemic sugars, good for during and after a workout. Also good for taking with creatine. But I would avoid taking too much gatorade on off days, it won't fill you up and adds a lot of high glycemic carbs.
I dont believe the powder has HFCS in it at least the one i have doesnt. Its obviously not great for you or everyone would do it but if you want to drink gatorade deffinately go with the powder.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I dont believe the powder has HFCS in it at least the one i have doesnt. Its obviously not great for you or everyone would do it but if you want to drink gatorade deffinately go with the powder.

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
o_O never mind I just checked it's SUCROSE and dextrose, at least on my red gatorade powder it is.
If you like Gatorade you could try Cytomax.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Its 30g sucrose and 3g dextrose from memory, sucrose is preferred over dextrose for endurance atheletes.

Its is good during a workout or after as it replenishes some electrolytes, could use a bit more water and sodium imo though but I find it good. As for a carb source you might aswell be drinking softdrink, in other words its best kept for times when you sweat or are dehydrated.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I always prefer to go a more natural way. Oftentimes I might bring a banana into training.

jcr1

Banned
Awards
I heard bannanas are good 2 eat post workout with your shake. or something else good thats high glycemic.

sub001

Awards
Some nutrition girl was talking about how the negatives of gatorade outweigh the positives unless you are like playing in a sports tournament or jogging for miles and sweating a lot. IIRC brock lesnar drinks it to keep his weight on when doing cardio-ish workouts, but he literally needs it to prevent weight loss.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Its 30g sucrose and 3g dextrose from memory, sucrose is preferred over dextrose for endurance atheletes.
Where did you read that nonsense from? That is not true at all. A balanced meal with more fat than commonly used with no carb loading is standard in Ironman and other endurance events. For refueling during an event Maltodextrin is the carb of choice along with wpi,salt, caffeine and a few other ingredients. For post it is almost always Glucose(dextrose) and maltodextrin. My wife and I are planning on running one (after the babys at least 1) so i have been researching the actual race nutrition like crazy. Same deal with mountain climbing.Fructose is usually used as a sweetener in lesser gel packs.
Gatorade is garbage. Make your own intra workout drinks.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
How good of a source is gatorade for carbs? Are they complex carbs, good for bodybuilders? How many ounces a day is a good target? thanks!
Gatorade is not a complex carb it is a simple carb. Can be good for bodybuilding if used strategically such as after a workout. Carbs/day varies depending on what goals you are trying to achieve and what activity you partake in from day to day. Foods such as pasta and rice are going to be your more complex carbs.

By the way the new Gatorade 'Perform' series with the grey label are made with dextrose not HFCS.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's simple sugars bro :D dextrose mostly (in powder form). I have used gatorade a TON of times for my post workout shakes (while bulking) and used it this year on my bulking cycle as well. Gatorade is not a good source of carbs to use for meals or a food replacement but it can be very beneficial when your body needs some quick carbs to refuel muscle glycogen and prevent catabolism

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
Companies should really chill it with the HFCS!

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Somewhere in this video, cant remember the minute and seconds but its in there so I wouldn't refer to it as nonsense.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/140817-why-sugar-fructose.html
haha.. I posted that video on here as well.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/143951-sugar-poison.html

It still is not what ATHLETES prefer and as such IS nonsense. If they do not use it, It can't be true, no? Here is a rundown of what he has stated about sucrose in his vid;
Sucrose and HFCS are the same. Both bad.
Sucrose – all the fructose contained in sucrose will be metabolized in the liver. Why? Because it’s the only place that can metabolize fructose and generates all sorts of problems. Fructose does not activate insulin. During the process of metabolizing uric acid is produced. The uric acid goes in the blood and can cause gout or more commonly HYPERTENSION. Sugar fluids will cause hypertension. Allopurinol is a drug to treat gout but studies have found that it lowers hypertension in adults. One of the byproducts of fructose cause the activation of lipase storage mechanisms – thus weight gain. Up to 30% of the calories of fructose will end up as fat. You are not only consuming a carbohydrate, but consuming fat. High sugar diet is a high fat diet. Some of this fat will not enter the blood stream (ie high cholesterol) but stays in the liver. Junk 1 will cause insulin receptors to be inactive in the liver. On top of this, you don’t know you are full.

Her is an interview with him, he mentions sucrose is just as bad as hfcs; http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2007/1969924.htm

He mentions Gatorade is "swill" who is drunk by "fat kids" not athletes. He recommends re-hydrating with pure clean water.

Here is some rebuttal in an exchange between him and Alan for another perspective for open minds; http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/