Milk thistle makes your liver 'pump'?

narraboth

Awards
  • Established
Is it possible?

I just found an interesting link:
Did milk thistle do something to me? - WrongDiagnosis.com

In brief, people felt right rib/ right upper stomach slightly sore after taking milk thistle, some people got a feeling which is like eating too much, but the feeling only comes from right side. Some people think it's just mental. But seems that more than one person got this effect from more than one brand of milk thistle, and some of them didn't even believe this will happen.

why I post this? because it just match my feeling after taking milk thistle.... The feeling is a bit like flatulence, but there is no real gas and the location is on right upper stomach. Very mild, but enough to be felt.

I am not saying Milk thistle is bad, maybe it's also a sign that it works (?). I am just curious, have you guys also felt this?

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I take milk thistle regularly and have never felt any of those effects..it could be all mental not sure

narraboth

Awards
  • Established
I take milk thistle regularly and have never felt any of those effects..it could be all mental not sure
really? but i had the feeling before i saw the description.
and in my imagination milk thistle should really give me no physical feeling like you experienced. so i doubt my mind will bring me this?

of course everyone react differently, some people even feel stomach pain for eating salad. I throw up when I took wheat grass juice.

maybe regularly is also a tip, once my body get used to it maybe I won't feel anything.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
really? but i had the feeling before i saw the description.
and in my imagination milk thistle should really give me no physical feeling like you experienced. so i doubt my mind will bring me this?

of course everyone react differently, some people even feel stomach pain for eating salad. I throw up when I took wheat grass juice.

maybe regularly is also a tip, once my body get used to it maybe I won't feel anything.
Haha dont think I have ever tried wheat grass juice but I'd probably throw up also, and ya you might just have to get used to it but everybodys body is different true that

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
A lot of acne sufferers say that Milk Thistle clears up their skin for two weeks, but then theybreak out, possibly even worse. I kind of wonder if milk thistle makes the liver work harder, wearing it down after a while. Maby a stack of milk thistle and some liver nutrients could be a good idea?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
A lot of acne sufferers say that Milk Thistle clears up their skin for two weeks, but then theybreak out, possibly even worse. I kind of wonder if milk thistle makes the liver work harder, wearing it down after a while. Maby a stack of milk thistle and some liver nutrients could be a good idea?
People want to dose things high and fast, instead of at a more moderate natural dosage level, over a longer time. A big issue with multi-vitamins is honestly...they dont work like claimed. I get far better results off of 1/3 to 1/2 the dose of a vitamin over long periods of time.

That being said apply that theory to milk thistle and liver aid supplements. You just pump it in there fast and in large doses, its really just gona waste and possibly overdo it.

The one thing I have learned irritates me about the supplement industry, which is why I am slowly thinking "some" regulation is beneficial, is the "more is better" shortcut mindset.

Hell I feel amazing on Drive/RPM, and right now I am using a bottle of Lean FX for my spring "get back in shape" sprint. And these products make me feel great all day, compared to a normal day without. That being said, I rarely dose as high as others. Yes all our bodies are different, but its like alcohol. Do you drink enough to enjoy it, and get a light buzz, or are you getting hammered? Side effects will show based on those levels.

Duno, just me and my own theories that work for me. But I can see it the liver suffering from certain ailments like this if its overloaded. And yes the body can go funky sometimes.

narraboth

Awards
  • Established
Respond to your point, in Chinese medicine (sorry, it's me again), we use Gentiana herb plus other stuffs to treat liver problem; however, many cases are that people bought Gentiana ****tail (what? this word is not allowed to be here?) pills from herb store without diagnosis and got liver failure.
Gentiana 'adjust' liver function in some way, so if you got a liver problem shouldn't be 'adjusted' like what it does, it makes things worse.

Again, scientific studies on milk thistle didn't say it can help cholestasis (which is how steriod damage liver). It seems to be able to increase bile secretion thus might 'wash out' bile salt, it also seems that it can protect liver cell membrane in some way, which are all good, but the effect on steriod users and different dosages are all unclear. Your point might be true: if milk thistle 'push' liver to secret more bile too hard, liver might be under another kind of pressure.....

The sad thing is, not many studies are really for steroid or PH users. There are tons of studies for alchoholic livers, acetaminophan livers, CCl4 toxified livers, even mushrooms toxified livers though. So we can only search all papers, looking for all possible beneficial liver supports, and swallow them all. Like NAC, studies only approved it can neutralise acetaminophan toxicity, also liver need to process it for using it, but people take it anyway. TUDCA can be used to cure steriod caused cholestasis, but don't know how well it can decrease liver pressure before it happens.

Everyone here knows that we need to protect our liver. But how? No one here can be sure that 'use this this and that, you will be fine'. People here can only tell you: 'I feel better after taking this', but they can't tell you if it is really better for your liver in long term.... We are all modern Shen Nyon Shi (in Chinese myth, the guy who tasted every herb to find out its effect).

hinds sauce

Awards
Dang man I been thinking of getting some. keep me in the loop

bazooka

Awards
I think milk thistle works pretty well. Everyone is different though. no sides for me.

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take Liver Juice almost regularly and have never felt anything like that.

Matttehman

Awards
WTF? :eek5:

Kind of sucks, I think it's all in your head.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i was taking like 3-6 grams for 2 months and i felt no such thing

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right side/ Upper stomach area is where your gallbladder is located. It might have been that the milk thistle stimulated your gallbladder to contract and release bile.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ive taken this before and that has never happened to me...

iDShaDoW

Awards
Same, I started taking milk thistle (due to some polyps in my gall bladder - hopefully just cholesterol which can get flushed out with improved diet).

Haven't noticed any negative side effects. It's actually made my #2s more normal.