Dangerous supplements

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Hey All:

Alot think that supplements are "dangerous", either because they are "foreign herbs" or else because they are subject to heavy extraction processes. We should only ever eat whole food and derrive all nutrition from whole food.

I agree!

So lets go through some of the supplements that are subject to mass consumption to investigate this further:

Raw Herbs
Tea - scary. Okay EGCG and theanine are amazing, but still it comes from China. How can that possibly be healthy? Along with Fo-Ti, ginseng, long jack and all the other Chinese classics, these are all scary and so must tea be. Tea also grows in India along with Mucana puriens, Cissus, Tribulus those are scary for sure and so should tea be. .
Coffee - terrifyingly foreign. Okay great antioxidants but its a herb from a foreign place, so there is no way that can be healthy. It grows in South America along with maca and purple sweet corn and Colombia has a high rate of foreign kidnapping. Wow it scares just to think about drinking it.
Wine - its French. Enough said.

Processed
Sugar - massive levels of extraction to produce this stuff. Okay it gives terrific instant energy, along with cortisol and insulin spikes but the level of chemical extraction to get there - its gotta be dangous. Certainly I'd never trust an extraction process such as resveratrol because its just "chemical"
Cocoa - horrendous extraction technique leaving little of its potent antioxidants. Thats actually true and is the only bit of reliable info in this post. Raw chocolate is one of the best antioxidants
Bread - a very dangous combination of wheat - which is extracted into flour and yeast. Okay great source of B vitamins but the amount of "man" in the manufacturing process must render it dangerous.
Beer - the amount processing must render this stuff lethal.

Whatever you do never take any of the above if they've been put into a capsule delivary system because then they become "nuclear".

FDA can you help?

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
... also
People criticize supps and steroids etc for being "dangerous" then they go eat fast food...
right?... i'd put some herbs in my body that have a POSSIBILITY of benefitting my body, instead of 1000+ calories and 90+ grams of fat from a combo meal that i'm CERTAIN will only be bad for me.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
migrant workers: how many toilet facilities do you see on huge farms and orchards where picking by hand is required. do those pickers not have to pee and poop? if i were being paid what they are paid and being treated the way they are treated guess where i would be peeing and pooping?

imo, there is a good chance poor hygiene by farm workers is a major contributor to disease in this country- and the cost of enforcing better hygiene would be much less than the cost of potential epidemics.

if the fda were truly concerned about the health of americans this would be a damned good place to start.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Whatever you do never take any of the above if they've been put into a capsule delivary system because then they become "nuclear".
Hmmm

Fish oil
Multis
Beer pills!

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Hey All:

Alot think that supplements are "dangerous", either because they are "foreign herbs" or else because they are subject to heavy extraction processes. We should only ever eat whole food and derrive all nutrition from whole food.

I agree!

So lets go through some of the supplements that are subject to mass consumption to investigate this further:

Raw Herbs
Tea - scary. Okay EGCG and theanine are amazing, but still it comes from China. How can that possibly be healthy? Along with Fo-Ti, ginseng, long jack and all the other Chinese classics, these are all scary and so must tea be. Tea also grows in India along with Mucana puriens, Cissus, Tribulus those are scary for sure and so should tea be. .
Coffee - terrifyingly foreign. Okay great antioxidants but its a herb from a foreign place, so there is no way that can be healthy. It grows in South America along with maca and purple sweet corn and Colombia has a high rate of foreign kidnapping. Wow it scares just to think about drinking it.

Processed
Sugar - massive levels of extraction to produce this stuff. Okay it gives terrific instant energy, along with cortisol and insulin spikes but the level of chemical extraction to get there - its gotta be dangous. Certainly I'd never trust an extraction process such as resveratrol because its just "chemical"
Cocoa - horrendous extraction technique leaving little of its potent antioxidants. Thats actually true and is the only bit of reliable info in this post. Raw chocolate is one of the best antioxidants
Bread - a very dangous combination of wheat - which is extracted into flour and yeast. Okay great source of B vitamins but the amount of "man" in the manufacturing process must render it dangerous.

FDA can you help?
i think youve become paranoid.

do you walk outdoors with a mask over your mouth to avoid breathing in the pollutants in the air?

perhaps not.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i think youve become paranoid.

do you walk outdoors with a mask over your mouth to avoid breathing in the pollutants in the air?

perhaps not.
i think perhaps it is unwise not to be paranoid in today's world- our food/water, and air quality is in the hands of those who care much more about the bottom line than your health.

if a new measure became available that would insure better food/water/air the 1st question that would be asked is what's the bottom line-that is reality!!!

our health is in the hands of the lowest bidder.

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
I don't think the OPs post is paranoid at all. A majority of the 'herbs' and 'extracts' come in huge bulk shipments from China. China has a track record of being rather lax when it comes to food safety. Just do a search for MELAMINE in foods and you'll see...

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
well one thing is true op, Chinese suppliers are scary

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
The best ginseng is Korean.

Can't go wrong with a chicken breast and some kimchi. :yumyum:

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I don't think the OPs post is paranoid at all. A majority of the 'herbs' and 'extracts' come in huge bulk shipments from China. China has a track record of being rather lax when it comes to food safety. Just do a search for MELAMINE in foods and you'll see...
why are we talking just about herbs and extracts here-most of the OTC steroids are sourced from China and Asia, yet i see no mention of this

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Hey All:

I agree!

Raw Herbs

Processed

FDA can you help?
TEA

i dont know to what extent tea is drunk in the USA, but in the UK it is quite common to have several cups daily. There are several companies which produce the tea into the form it goes into the teapot or tea bag -Brooke Bond ;Typhoo to name two ;two large companies...Apart from "normal tea" it is also possible to buy organic and decaffeinated.The factories have to adhere to strict controls in terms of food safety and hygiene and are subject to inspection by government inspectors.Therefore i have full confidence in them and will continue to drink tea which actually is good for you.

COFFEE
Much of what i said above about tea applies to coffee.Drinking coffee taken from a jar of Nescafe, Carte Noir or any other well known company i have total confidence in.There is also organic coffee.

WINE
Wine is not solely french -wine has been produced in Australia, Italy, Spain Hungary to name to alternatives and there is actually some very good french wine.

SUGAR

Your connection between sugar and reservatrol i find bizarre -reservatrol is not an extraction process as you imply and both are not chemicals but products extracted from natural sources-sugar cane and the grape.

COCOA

again you can buy organic

BREAD

How can you have a dangerous combination of wheat -wheat is wheat -its not combined ;extract from wilkipedia

Bread is a staple food prepared by cooking a dough of flour and water and possibly more ingredients. Doughs are usually baked, but in some cuisines breads are steamed, fried, or baked on an unoiled skillet. It may be leavened or unleavened. Salt, fat and leavening agents such as yeast and baking soda are common ingredients, though bread may contain other ingredients, such as milk, egg, sugar, spice, fruit (such as raisins), vegetables (such as onion), nuts (such as walnuts) or seeds (such as poppy seeds). Bread is one of the oldest prepared foods, dating back to the Neolithic era. The development of leavened bread can probably also be traced to prehistoric times.
There can be a lot of goodness in bread

BEER
It is produced by the brewing and fermentation of starches, mainly derived from cereal grains—most commonly malted barley, although wheat, maize (corn), and rice are widely used. Most beer is flavoured with hops, which add bitterness and act as a natural preservative, though other flavourings such as herbs or fruit may occasionally be included.
I dont see ANYTHING lethal in that; LETHAL --Lethal is something that is capable of causing death to a living being. For example, a Lethal injection.

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
why are we talking just about herbs and extracts here-most of the OTC steroids are sourced from China and Asia, yet i see no mention of this
You're right. More people ingest the herbs and extracts than the Chinese steriodal compounds, though.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
TEA
i dont know to what extent tea is drunk in the USA...

COFFEE ... WINE ... SUGAR ... BREAD .... BEER
Thanks but I think you have missed the gist, but it doesn't matter.

Put it another way. I said to my primary,

"Oh I'll be using Mucana puriens". I didn't think it would be a problem. Its Indian BTW.
"Whats that!!! Are you buying from the internet???" (said it like it was some dodgy drug)
"Its a herb." I protested, "You can legally buy it in the UK. Its healthy."
No doubt the primary then went and made themselves a nice cup of Indian tea at lunch break and never asked any questions about it.

Cocoa's serious stuff however :). What a disaster! Here's a food which is extremely healthy unprocessed. Raw chocolate has massive OCRA values ... tasty. They then render raw chocolate into this bitter powder add the fat back and make it into chocolate again, minus all the nutrients! Crazy (?) Disaster!

FDA where've you been?

Dear God....its an all out biological attack!

:drive:
Hmmm

Fish oil
Multis
Beer pills!