Protein for a broke college student

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
Now that college is taking a heavy toll on finances, i am forced to really cut back on things. I was taking gold standard whey for the longest time and am grossed out by the taste now, and want something maybe a little cheaper. I have come to realize that if you spend 30 dollars on protein or 70 dollars on protein, it doesn't make a huge difference. So what the hell can i take now?!? i want something a little cheaper than gold standard and kinda tasty in water. and lookin for about 50 grams of whey protein for 2 scoops. My goal is promoting lean mass. Heres all the proteins ive tried so far:

.BSN syntha 6 (clogged me up)
.Nitrotech Hardcore (expensive, horrid tasting)
. Isopure low carb (expensive, not too tasty)
. GNC wheybolic 60 (good, too expensive)
. Pro Nos protein (really good, expensive again)
Gold Standard whey (Alright tasting, not to bad on the pocket book)

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
all they whey- protein blend...but i think they are mia right now

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Trueprotein 25lb bulk unflavoured whey concentrate for $99

hoopem6

Awards
  • Established
Hands down, either Dymatize Whey or Scivation Whey. Ten pounds of either will cost you around $60-$70 depending on shipping costs.

Also, NutraPlanet just released their own line of protein which you may be interested in.

mcssassin

Awards
bag of chicken breast $5.00 tub of peanut butter $3.00 being able to afford condoms and not graduate with 4 kids priceless...lol.. whole food is not as quick and easy but cheaper and better 4 u....oh dont forget the cottage cheese yum

hoopem6

Awards
  • Established
bag of chicken breast $5.00 tub of peanut butter $3.00 being able to afford condoms and not graduate with 4 kids priceless...lol.. whole food is not as quick and easy but cheaper and better 4 u....oh dont forget the cottage cheese yum
In addition, pick up some Greek yogurt and bagels.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look at NutraPro, supposed to be bada**. And its on sale now.

mcssassin

Awards
body fortress stuff is really not that bad. it tastes good and mixes well... thought you never know if it has the amount of protein it says it does it is sold at walmart after all...90% of the stuff u get there breaks the day u cant return it ...unrelated i know but im just sayin shows the ideals of there marketing schemes

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
body fortress isn't bad, six stars not all that terrible either, for the prices....sometimes you can find bags that look like small bags of dogg food of EAS protein for cheap

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
Thank y'all. What about wheytech from vitamin shop?

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
STG(supplements to go) Whey, 10 lbs for $50.

However if you are going to buy anything from Nutraplanet, add on ten pounds of All the Whey and it will probably total over $75, after which shipping is free and it ends up costing slightly less after shipping, its also slightly better.

mcssassin

Awards
( wheytech) never heard of it but look out for cheap protein that contains soy. soy is a photo estrogen! many debate if its enuf to cause side effects but i decide to just avoid it.. after all you want test to raise from working out not estro to raise from your protein shake.. seems like a no brainer and if you were already aware of this then you already know better

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
body fortress isn't bad, six stars not all that terrible either, for the prices....sometimes you can find bags that look like small bags of dogg food of EAS protein for cheap
My problem with bodyfortress is, besides the fact that vanilla seems to outnumber chocolate 5 to 1 anywhere I go, is that you buy what looks like a huge tub and then the protein starts 5-6 inches below where you think it does.

mcssassin

Awards
"In addition, pick up some Greek yogurt and bagels". ? hoopem6 im not sure if ur slamming me or suggesting he carb load? if your slamming me and under the misconception the more you spend the bigger you get you are wrong... if your post had some other (joking) reasoning behind it. im sorry just still confused at ur intentions

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My problem with bodyfortress is, besides the fact that vanilla seems to outnumber chocolate 5 to 1 anywhere I go, is that you buy what looks like a huge tub and then the protein starts 5-6 inches below where you think it does.
i agree, one time i was waiting on a shipment of protein and had to get a tub though, it worked and the vanilla wasn't half bad at all

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seriously, the best you can get for the price based on everything that the testers have said recently is NutraPro. Sure you have to pay shipping but look at the profile, it doesn't get much better than low carb and low fat along with 80 servings.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here is your answer $29.99 for 5lbs and all reviews have been stellar
Hmmm... must be why I am going to buy some here this week AE!

TheAmazing1

TheAmazing1

Awards
muscle gauge nutrition, its hard to find (in stock) but you can get 5 lb isolates for ~$32.

TheAmazing1

TheAmazing1

Awards
or LG's lipotropic protein, havent tried it but its cheap

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
or LG's lipotropic protein, havent tried it but its cheap
I really wanted to like it. I love the nutrient profile. But I just hated the flavor. It's not awful, just not great, and annoying by the bottom of the tub. If you are a blender dude, making fancy shakes, i'd buy it, it'll be fine. If you do protein in water, like me, avoid.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
EAS 5lb whey protein bag is $27-30 depending on which sams club you go. Costco might have it too. They usually have vanilla or chocolate. Protein is protein bro, No whey protein mix is gonna help you build more muscle then another. Some may be better tasting, easier to mix or better on the stomach though. Optimum nutrition is king IMO.

Sam I Am

Sam I Am

Banned
Awards
Invest in food! (Tuna, turkey, tofu, chicken and as many GREEN veggies as possible)

NutraPro is available and on sale. Good luck getting your order with ATW.

hoopem6

Awards
  • Established
"In addition, pick up some Greek yogurt and bagels". ? hoopem6 im not sure if ur slamming me or suggesting he carb load? if your slamming me and under the misconception the more you spend the bigger you get you are wrong... if your post had some other (joking) reasoning behind it. im sorry just still confused at ur intentions
I'm not quite sure how my response came off as a bash, but I can assure you that was not my intention at all. As whole food recommendations, both Greek yogurt and bagels are fairly high in protein per serving. A cup of Greek yogurt alone contains 23 grams of protein.

If I were under the misconception that price determines results, I would have suggested him some NitroTech and not foods costing him $3...

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
STG(supplements to go) Whey, 10 lbs for $50.

However if you are going to buy anything from Nutraplanet, add on ten pounds of All the Whey and it will probably total over $75, after which shipping is free and it ends up costing slightly less after shipping, its also slightly better.
Nope. No more free shipping FYI.

sharperunner

Awards
2 lb body fortress is around $12. Not great tasting but it does in a pinch. I tried some WPC from True protein for around $5.75(with premium flavoring) a pound. It's not bad and didn't cause the digestive problems that WPC can sometimes be blamed for.

I'm planning on picking up some myofusion next since a 5 lb container isn't terribly expensive.

mcssassin

Awards
I'm not quite sure how my response came off as a bash, but I can assure you that was not my intention at all. As whole food recommendations, both Greek yogurt and bagels are fairly high in protein per serving. A cup of Greek yogurt alone contains 23 grams of protein.

If I were under the misconception that price determines results, I would have suggested him some NitroTech and not foods costing him $3...
sorry man i was unaware that the greek yogurt was so high in protein. im a little slow forgive my ignorance i hope i dint offend ya to bad ...good advice tho im gonna pick some up and give it a try

hoopem6

Awards
  • Established
sorry man i was unaware that the greek yogurt was so high in protein. im a little slow forgive my ignorance i hope i dint offend ya to bad ...good advice tho im gonna pick some up and give it a try
Don't sweat it man!

Also, I think it tastes best when added in a protein shake or mixed with honey (or fruit).

bcruder

Awards
Visit your local feed store and you will find perhaps a dozen brands of milk-replacer for different species of livestock. The USDA has better quality control on animal feed than the FDA has on dietary supplement products. Just avoid the ones for pigs that include anti-scour medications.

One advantage of these products is that they are a complete food with vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Their whole purpose is rapid weight gain.

Almost all milk replacers are whey-based although some will be a mixture of soy and whey. I haven't seen any this year that include any nonfat dry milk.

The one I purchased most recently had different types of whey as the first four ingredients with fat as the fifth and soy sixth. I found no obvious carbohydrate source and assumed less than 10% as residual carbs in the stated ingredients. Don't expect a nutritional disclosure panel like what you see for human food.

You can choose products that include animal fat, vegetable oils or coconut oil. The animal fat version has a distinct undertaste of french-fry. I prefer the coconut which is naturally high in MCTs. There are always enough preservatives added for 6-12 month storage.

You also are not paying for flavoring or advertising. My last bag was about $1 per lb.

Coincidentally, Big R Farm & Ranch Supply is having a sale on all brands this week. If you aren't up for the 50 lb bag, try the 10lb that the 4H kids buy.

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Go with Muscle Gauge whey isolate you can get the strawberry and the cake batter
flavor for only $28 and the van or choc. for $32 and you can get the 10lb bags for
only $60 and I just purchased a 25 lb bag of choc/carmel for $125 you just have to
do a search on line to find the sites and everyone just got their shippments in of Muscle
Gauge in stock on Thursday so you will now be able to find it .

manosduras

manosduras

Awards
  • Established
dont think there is anything wrong with bodyfortress. think the price is so cheap because they ship a couple pallets to 3490 walmart and walmart supercenters across the country.plus those big stores make the people they are buyng products from get cheaper packaging. dont know if its effected the price of body fortress but they have that smaller 2# tub now also.

hoopem6 where do you find greek yogurt with 23 grams of protien. like to get me some of that. ive only seen 16 as the highest. you can also cut the sugar big time by going plain or vanilla.love the stuff.

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
As a follow up I got some isoflex for now with a discount at my gym. I ended up paying 50 I think for 5 pounds of it, and it's pretty good.

the epiphany

Awards
Dymatize, EAS, and Ultimate Nutrition over good value. If flavor is what you are after Myofusion is a good option.