Overtrained? - Glutamine

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Arrow Overtrained? - Glutamine

Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009 Oct 16. [Epub ahead of print]

Effect of physical activity on glutamine metabolism.

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Glutamine is largely synthesized in skeletal muscles and provides fuel to rapidly dividing cells of the immune system and precursors to gluconeogenesis in the liver. Physical exercise is known to affect glutamine synthesis and to modulate glutamine uptake. Overtraining is frequently associated with reduced availability of glutamine and decreased immunocompetence. Inactivity affects glutamine metabolism, but this subject was poorly investigated.

RECENT FINDINGS: Strenuous physical exercise as well as exhaustive training programs lead to glutamine depletion due to lowered synthesis and enhanced uptake by liver and immune cells. Evidence suggests that postexercise glutamine depletion is associated with immunodepression. Counterwise, moderate training leads to improved glutamine availability due to a positive balance between muscle synthesis and peripheral clearance. Physical inactivity, as investigated by experimental bed rest in healthy volunteers, reduced glutamine synthesis and availability.

SUMMARY: After exercise, a reduced glutamine availability may be considered as a marker of overtraining. An increased glutamine availability may contribute to decreased inflammation and health benefits associated with optimal training. Thus, glutamine supplementation may enhance immunocompetence after strenuous exercise. The potential of glutamine supplementation during physical inactivity needs to be explored.

I'll read the full thing soon...
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

2. EctoMeso

ive personally always taken a big amount of glutamine for both my immune system and to help aid recovery... found it good for kicking oncoming colds n flus even when ur not training.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by EctoMeso View Post
    ive personally always taken a big amount of glutamine for both my immune system and to help aid recovery... found it good for kicking oncoming colds n flus even when ur not training.
    I take glutamine as well, pre and post work out. Also as an immunobooster.

What's a "big amount" ?
  4. EctoMeso

i take around 15g. split into 5g serves 3 x's a day...

5. Quote Originally Posted by EctoMeso View Post
    i take around 15mg. split into 5mg serves 3 x's a day...
    15mg is not much. i think you ment 15g .

i have 5g befor bed.
    •   

6. Ive been a big believer from glutamine from the start from the research I saw.

I use it specially when I feel I may be a bit over trained, need stomach comfort, or need an immune system boost

Do I think it is useful year round and would help gains ? Certainly
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    Mind and Muscle Code AM10
    Classic Physique competitor, Facebook- Great Physique Fitness, Online coaching
  7. EctoMeso

Quote Originally Posted by froggy543 View Post
    15mg is not much. i think you ment 15g .

i have 5g befor bed.
    oo sorry man, YUP u got it grams.. lol

to many posts on dbols and mdrols and **** these days lol, got me talkin in mg's non stop haha

8. its also very cheap. its in both xtend and BC+EAA, which i use daily
    CELTIC LABS REP
  9. EctoMeso

Something like this seems interesting... http://www.bodyripped.com.au/shop/pr...9cb87eacc67410

Ive just got the plain jane powder nothing flash.... off topic but talking about cheap good powders is magnesium powder its around 4$ for a plastic tub full

10. Yeah BC+EAA is some good stuff very tasty

11. Quote Originally Posted by EctoMeso View Post
    Something like this seems interesting... http://www.bodyripped.com.au/shop/pr...9cb87eacc67410

Ive just got the plain jane powder nothing flash.... off topic but talking about cheap good powders is magnesium powder its around 4$ for a plastic tub full
    That' stuff is 99 bucks. Ridiculous.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

12. Glutamine has been one of my staples for a long time. Awesome benifits even outside of the bodybuilding world.

13. Glutamine makes a noticeable difference in my recovery from work and the gym.
  14. EctoMeso

Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    That' stuff is 99 bucks. Ridiculous.
    HAHA YUP!!!!

15. I get my glutamine powderfrom Nutraplanet.

Glutamine peptides may be better for absorption and I hear they taste horrible. I got gluta mine peptides in my post workout shake and it taste fine

16. i have never been a big fan of glutamine but recently i have been using 11g of a peptopro product and i have never had better recoveryi am very impressed

17. Oral glutamine does not absorb so this study is not useful for us.

18. Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Oral glutamine does not absorb so this study is not useful for us.
    do you have an article by Layne Norton you read on this? I know you like his work and he used to stand against glutamine since, and most likely still does

I could have been entirely wrong all these years and wasted a lot of money. Further, lets get down to facts and solve this if we can. this issue has been debated so many times Ive seen people get sick of debating it is so debatable. I am currently for glutamine as the research I have seen shows it is useful for the immune system(yes can be from intense training),or a cold, gastrointestinal, and growth hormone. take two grams on an empty stomach and it riases growth hormone levels.

can you explain why glutamine raises growth hormone levels like gaba does if it does not absorb as these two are work some what similar, although not the entirely the same, and act on gaba neurotransmitters?

I am not even searching for studies on this thread nor getting into a debate do not have time for that kind of a thing.

regardless everyone has their own opinions from the research they have done and a person will stick to theirs unless they themselves change their opinion.

19. Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Oral glutamine does not absorb so this study is not useful for us.
    I don't believe that for a second. My 15 years of use and benefits, contradict that theory as do MANY scientific studies.

20. I think that if one part of your body is absorbing the glutamine, then that body part wont be leaching glutamine from the rest of your body, therefore making the supplement useful. I think the supplement is mainly useful to people who burn themselves out though.

21. Been using this stuff from Day 1 and I love it. Won't stop, actually picking up a couple hundred more Grams this week.

22. Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    I think that if one part of your body is absorbing the glutamine, then that body part wont be leaching glutamine from the rest of your body, therefore making the supplement useful. I think the supplement is mainly useful to people who burn themselves out though.
    Yea I have a very physical job and workout very hard so I notice any little bit of improvement from anything I take, definitely beneficial in that arena.

23. Scientifically speaking glutamine is important but oral glutamine does not absorbe there for the study can say all they want endless you IV it is pointless and yes Layne agresss and I quote from a email he personally sent me on glutamine " and nitrogen balance doesn't mean crap. It only lets' you know what a minimal amount of protein is to prevent a deficiency; it says nothing about what is optimal for stimulation of protein synthesis & muscle mass" For those of you who don't know Layne Norton google him and look at dogma on glutamine we posted a while ago. We want leucine not glutamine.

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    do you have an article by Layne Norton you read on this? I know you like his work and he used to stand against glutamine since, and most likely still does

I could have been entirely wrong all these years and wasted a lot of money. Further, lets get down to facts and solve this if we can. this issue has been debated so many times Ive seen people get sick of debating it is so debatable. I am currently for glutamine as the research I have seen shows it is useful for the immune system(yes can be from intense training),or a cold, gastrointestinal, and growth hormone. take two grams on an empty stomach and it riases growth hormone levels.

can you explain why glutamine raises growth hormone levels like gaba does if it does not absorb as these two are work some what similar, although not the entirely the same, and act on gaba neurotransmitters?

I am not even searching for studies on this thread nor getting into a debate do not have time for that kind of a thing.

regardless everyone has their own opinions from the research they have done and a person will stick to theirs unless they themselves change their opinion.

24. Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Scientifically speaking glutamine is important but oral glutamine does not absorbe there for the study can say all they want endless you IV it is pointless and yes Layne agresss and I quote from a email he personally sent me on glutamine " and nitrogen balance doesn't mean crap. It only lets' you know what a minimal amount of protein is to prevent a deficiency; it says nothing about what is optimal for stimulation of protein synthesis & muscle mass" For those of you who don't know Layne Norton google him and look at dogma on glutamine we posted a while ago. We want leucine not glutamine.
    There are studies that say it is very beneficial if you are getting into a very catabolic state, such as ..say working a VERY physical job and then training harder than you can imagine. Its glycogen replenishing properties are interesting as well. Leucine is amazing as well, which is why I use BCAA's in conjunction.

25. Studies done on glutamine were burn victims and remember if your eating food your getting ample amounts of glutamine. Again do a search on here.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Overtrained!
    By tubbednova in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM
  3. Not feeling it now - overtrained?
    By lategainer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM