Questions from a newbie

  1. New Member
    brettxw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    62
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    95.67%

    Questions from a newbie


    Hey guys, just found this forum and thought I would sign up in hopes to getting some questions asked. While I know every newbies goal is to get jacked and have huge muscles, this is not the case for me.

    I am 25 years old and started to work out when I was 21. At that time I was told about T-bomb from a friend and started taking that product. Surprisingly I saw great results. My numbers were increasing while working out and I had more energy during the work out as well. Winter then came and I stopped going to the gym every day and slowly just stopped going all together. When I was 23 I decided to get back into the gym and once again this friend told me about M1AD (I think?) again, very great results. More power during my work outs and I felt great but then winter came and I followed the same course. So here I am now, wanting to get back into the gym but this time I have relocated so the gym is literally 2 minutes from where I am.

    No matter what I do, I can not get over 155lbs. Just does not happen. I bounce around from 145-155 all the time. I am 5'9 as well so I know I am under weight. I will be the first one to admit that I am not that smart when it comes to this stuff. What I mean by that is I don't know which product is better for me or will do the opposite of what I want and all that great stuff.

    My goal : I want to increase my muscle growth so I can get a bit bigger then I currently am and stay toned. I don't want that ripped hardcore body lifting image. Which supplement(s) is the best for what I am looking for? There are are so many that increase strength during work out, more energy, bigger muscles but in the end, don't they all do the same thing? If you have increased strength during work out, wont that also enable you to get larger muscles because you're working out harder?

    Workout : What would you recommend for a daily work out? What muscles to work each day? and which how many sets/reps would you recommend.

    I look forward to getting feedback and get going on my goal. I'm hoping to start this tomorrow or the next day. Thanks guys.

  2. Advanced Member
    TheDeadlifter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  253 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    10078
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    33.11%

    You need to supplement your diet with more food and maybe a bigger fork. I'm not being a smartass here; I'm speaking from experience. I had always considered myself a hardgainer and accepted the 'fact' that I would never get over 185lbs. I ate more than anyone else around me, yet I couldn't gain a pound. You can read all the bodybuilding magazines and follow everyone else's diet and/or supplement plan and still not be successful. You are an individual; you need to do what you can for YOU. Find out what works and stick with it. Once I finally realized this I started eating more, sleeping better, and changing my daily habits to do what I could for myself.

    That said, experiment with your diet FIRST! Nutrient timing is absolutely key to gaining and losing weight. Once you have that in check, look at your recovery methods (sleep patterns, etc). Then, examine your training techniques: Are you really training 100%? Are you performing the right exercises for your goals? After all that, THEN look at your supplementation habits. I recommend creatine mono powder (CreaPure), a solid multi (I take Animal Pak), and maybe some whey. I prefer keeping things as simple as possible.

    Now, you may already know all this stuff, but sometimes it takes a review of the obvious and going back to square 1...
    -- JB \m/
    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift." - Jon Pall Sigmarsson
  3. Banned
    juice3320's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    833
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    20.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadlifter View Post
    You need to supplement your diet with more food and maybe a bigger fork. I'm not being a smartass here; I'm speaking from experience. I had always considered myself a hardgainer and accepted the 'fact' that I would never get over 185lbs. I ate more than anyone else around me, yet I couldn't gain a pound. You can read all the bodybuilding magazines and follow everyone else's diet and/or supplement plan and still not be successful. You are an individual; you need to do what you can for YOU. Find out what works and stick with it. Once I finally realized this I started eating more, sleeping better, and changing my daily habits to do what I could for myself.

    That said, experiment with your diet FIRST! Nutrient timing is absolutely key to gaining and losing weight. Once you have that in check, look at your recovery methods (sleep patterns, etc). Then, examine your training techniques: Are you really training 100%? Are you performing the right exercises for your goals? After all that, THEN look at your supplementation habits. I recommend creatine mono powder (CreaPure), a solid multi (I take Animal Pak), and maybe some whey. I prefer keeping things as simple as possible.

    Now, you may already know all this stuff, but sometimes it takes a review of the obvious and going back to square 1...
    Good advice here. Eat until you think you're going to puke and then eat some more. Eat every 2 hours if possible as well. If you think you're eating alot you probably aren't in reality. Three meals a day definitely won't cut it man. And as for the workout, do some google searching for a beginner's bulking workout and you should find some really good ones. EAT EAT EAT!!!!
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719850
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.8%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Here is a link that has good info on getting started. I would say that first you need to stay in the gym longer. Just going over the summer/fall etc is not enough. You need to stay committed. I feel you on the winter thing, it tends to hit me hard as well and I lose some motivation. Also, you need to eat and eat brother. As for supps, you can stick to the basics like protein, creatine, multi-vitamins, BCAA's, and maybe test boosters if you want. To note: T-bomb is a test booster, but that M1AD is a Prohormone/AAS. That's another bag all in of it's self and I would stay away from them for now. Diet, training, etc. need to be locked on first man and require support supps along with post cycle therapy. Any how, stick around read, read, eat, eat, lift, lift, and you should be good to go.

    Neoborn's "Where Do I Start?" Bodybuilding Guide - Basic
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  5. New Member
    brettxw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    62
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    95.67%

    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am very motivated now to stay in the gym. I feel better about myself and I feel like I am happier each day compared to the other days where I just didn't care much for anything. As far as diet is concerned, I probably should have mentioned this in the first post. I have Crohns, so that limits just exactly how much I can eat/what I can eat. Also plays a huge part in my weight. The only aspect Crohns has hurt me with lifting weights is my weight. I just can't get over 155lbs. I just started eating these protein bars right before my work out and during my work out, it may sound stupid or just in my head but I actually felt a difference in my work out today, wanting to go higher in weights. Is there any recommendations to keep that pumped work out look for some time AFTER you finished working out?
  6. Advanced Member
    TheDeadlifter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  253 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    10078
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    33.11%

    Quote Originally Posted by brettxw View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am very motivated now to stay in the gym. I feel better about myself and I feel like I am happier each day compared to the other days where I just didn't care much for anything. As far as diet is concerned, I probably should have mentioned this in the first post. I have Crohns, so that limits just exactly how much I can eat/what I can eat. Also plays a huge part in my weight. The only aspect Crohns has hurt me with lifting weights is my weight. I just can't get over 155lbs. I just started eating these protein bars right before my work out and during my work out, it may sound stupid or just in my head but I actually felt a difference in my work out today, wanting to go higher in weights. Is there any recommendations to keep that pumped work out look for some time AFTER you finished working out?
    That's a tough situation. Hopefully you and your doctor have it managed fairly well. I'm somewhat familiar with Crohn's because I've taught and coached students with it. I'm a biology and physiology nerd so I do what I can to educate myself on these things. Anyway, if you respond well to eating higher-density foods like protein bars then you may want to consider a weight gainer shake of some sort. For that I'd recommend Universal's Real Gains (strawberry flavor is awesome! ). I always tell people to choose food over supplements any day so if you can, eat. But you have a special circumstance. Have you tried any shakes in the past? Any success or any problems?
    -- JB \m/
    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift." - Jon Pall Sigmarsson
  7. New Member
    brettxw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    62
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    95.67%

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadlifter View Post
    That's a tough situation. Hopefully you and your doctor have it managed fairly well. I'm somewhat familiar with Crohn's because I've taught and coached students with it. I'm a biology and physiology nerd so I do what I can to educate myself on these things. Anyway, if you respond well to eating higher-density foods like protein bars then you may want to consider a weight gainer shake of some sort. For that I'd recommend Universal's Real Gains (strawberry flavor is awesome! ). I always tell people to choose food over supplements any day so if you can, eat. But you have a special circumstance. Have you tried any shakes in the past? Any success or any problems?
    I have had it since I was 14 and thankfully over the rough stages. Just love living in America with no medical insurance and the government wont help me out any so I have to deal with this illness the hard and painful way. Knock on wood but its been pretty good for the past few years now. I have tried one shake in the past but it started to taste like sh!t and I stopped taking it. it was a vanilla flavor, they first said to just add water and I almost threw it up as soon as I swallowed it. Then I switched over to milk and that was ok but vanilla is gross as a shake.
  8. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719850
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.8%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by brettxw View Post
    I have had it since I was 14 and thankfully over the rough stages. Just love living in America with no medical insurance and the government wont help me out any so I have to deal with this illness the hard and painful way. Knock on wood but its been pretty good for the past few years now. I have tried one shake in the past but it started to taste like sh!t and I stopped taking it. it was a vanilla flavor, they first said to just add water and I almost threw it up as soon as I swallowed it. Then I switched over to milk and that was ok but vanilla is gross as a shake.
    There are so many different brands of protein and weight gainer shakes and flavors. If you don't like one, try another. You are bound to find one that you do like.

    I used to have a co-worker with Crohn's and he followed the specific carbohydrate diet... I think that's what it was called. Essentially he needed to pretty much stay away from carbs etc and most anything canned. He would eat veggies, fruit, meat, and poultry, but everything had to be fresh or frozen. He was able to put on weight with it.

    Other than that I don't have much to add on that note. I assume you have seen a dietician/nutritionist?
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  9. Advanced Member
    TheDeadlifter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  253 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    10078
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    33.11%

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    ...I used to have a co-worker with Crohn's and he followed the specific carbohydrate diet... I think that's what it was called. Essentially he needed to pretty much stay away from carbs etc and most anything canned. He would eat veggies, fruit, meat, and poultry, but everything had to be fresh or frozen. He was able to put on weight with it...
    Good point, CopyCat. That could be a problem with taking weight gainers - the carbs. Maybe a whey protein/broccoli shake? Kidding... Are there any specific foods that bother you or are the issues associated with Crohn's sporadic/random?
    -- JB \m/
    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift." - Jon Pall Sigmarsson
  10. Team Anabolic
    UNCnate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,292
    Rep Power
    25885
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    79.55%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Good advice in here.

    Some people are going to respond to foods differently. Some people require a ton of carbs to bulk, others can bulk on low carbs in their protein/fats are high enough. You need to figure out what is best for you, and follow it.

    Figure out a diet, stick to it for at least 2 weeks and reassess to see where you are.

  11. New Member
    brettxw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    62
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    95.67%

    Ya, I can't seem to really eat the "fast food" stuff like I used to. My issue is rather then eating large meals, I snack through out the day. I'll find a protein shake, how many times should I be drinking one and can I have a protein bar as well when when takign the shake?
  12. New Member
    Fenway's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    65.4%

    I can offer some simple advice, so take it for what it is worth. 1 gram of protein per lb. of body weight. You have to determine what you are getting from food and supplement the rest. I never go more than 3 hours without eating something. As for sleep, try to get 8-9 hours per night. Once your diet and sleep is in check, the rest will follow.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Newbie..Got some questions..
    By azsoldier26 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 05:04 PM
  2. Newbie with questions?
    By ambushunter in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 04:42 PM
  3. Hello everyone, sorry have newbie questions
    By b4554 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 02:13 PM
  4. Newbie with a few questions..
    By Stinger124 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 12:00 AM
  5. A lot of newbie questions
    By alittlewhiteboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in